Stories Organisations Projects Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Victorians and Native Birdlife

9 Jan 2018

An evolving relationship as illustrated through Victoria's cultural collections.

Curated By

Rohan Long, Technical Officer – Zoology and Collections Manager of the Tiegs Museum, School of BioSciences, Faculty of Science, University of Melbourne.

109469 items

close

109469 items

Diary - Quotable Quotes

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Record book used in 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Officers' Mess to record witticisms, overheard comments, whimsy, derisory remarks and observations about fellow officers and mess affairs.

Photograph - Watsonia High School WaHIGH 1979 Year 12

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1979 Year 12

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1979 Year 12

Photograph - Colour - Sophie Keith, President IEAust, Young Engineers

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Coloured photograph - mounted

Report - Dennys, Lascelles Limited : Annual Wool Report, August 1958

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

Dennys, Lascelles Limited Annual Wool Report, August 1958. Part of the NWM Woolbroker's Office exhibit until late 1990's.

GREAT COAT

Bendigo RSL Military Museum, Bendigo

Photograph - Digital Image - Buildings in Quasar Court (Larundel)

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

This photograph shows buildings in Quasar Court at the old Larundel Hospital site. Some buildings on this site are heritage listed on the Victorian Heritage Database. The Quasar Court buildings will be renovated into apartments.

Surgical Hook

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Surgical hook from Dr T.F. Ryan's Ear Nose and Throat surgical kit. Lens hook, ribbed handle, (W.R. Angus Collection)

Historical information

This lens hook is from Dr T.F. Ryan's Ear Nose and Throat surgical kit was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” that includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he would take time to further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . The organisation began in South Australia through the Presbyterian Church in that year, with its first station being in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill where he’d previously worked as Medical Assistant and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what was once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr L Middleton was House Surgeon to the Nhill Hospital 1926-1933, when he resigned. [Dr Tom Ryan’s practice had originally belonged to his older brother Dr Edward Ryan, who came to Nhill in 1885. Dr Edward saw patients at his rooms, firstly in Victoria Street and in 1886 in Nelson Street, until 1901. The Nelson Street practice also had a 2 bed ward, called Mira Private Hospital ). Dr Edward Ryan was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1884-1902 . He also had occasions where he successfully performed veterinary surgery for the local farmers too. Dr Tom Ryan then purchased the practice from his brother in 1901. Both Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan work as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He too was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. Dr Tom Ryan moved from Nhill in 1926. He became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1927, soon after its formation, a rare accolade for a doctor outside any of the major cities. He remained a bachelor and died suddenly on 7th Dec 1955, aged 91, at his home in Ararat. Scholarships and prizes are still awarded to medical students in the honour of Dr T.F. Ryan and his father, Dr Michael Ryan, and brother, John Patrick Ryan. ] When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery states “HOURS Daily, except Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday afternoons, 9-10am, 2-4pm, 7-8pm. Sundays by appointment”. This plate is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Tom Ryan had an extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926 and when Dr Angus took up practice in their old premises he obtained this collection, a large part of which is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. During his time in Nhill Dr Angus was involved in the merging of the Mira Hospital and Nhill Public Hospital into one public hospital and the property titles passed on to Nhill Hospital in 1939. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. ). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (The duties of a Port Medical Officer were outlined by the Colonial Secretary on 21st June, 1839 under the terms of the Quarantine Act. Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served as a Surgeon Captain during WWII1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. Their interests included organisations such as Red Cross, Rostrum, Warrnambool and District Historical Society (founding members), Wine and Food Society, Steering Committee for Tertiary Education in Warrnambool, Local National Trust, Good Neighbour Council, Housing Commission Advisory Board, United Services Institute, Legion of Ex-Servicemen, Olympic Pool Committee, Food for Britain Organisation, Warrnambool Hospital, Anti-Cancer Council, Boys’ Club, Charitable Council, National Fitness Council and Air Raid Precautions Group. He was also a member of the Steam Preservation Society and derived much pleasure from a steam traction engine on his farm. He had an interest in people and the community He and his wife Gladys were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Spoon

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

: Unrestored tea spoon from the wreck of the LOCH ARD. The spoon design has a flattened fiddle-back handle, with a thin stem or shank, flared collar, and elongated bowl. The spoons metallic composition is a thin layer of brass alloy which has partially corroded back to a nickel-silver base metal. Only 10% of original electroplating remains, with 10% of surface area verdigris. Outlines of four maker's marks are discernible but details are unclear.

Historical information

This tea spoon is from the wreck of the LOCH ARD, a Loch Line ship of 1,693 tons which sailed from Gravesend, London, on 2 March 1878 with 17 passengers and a crew of 36 under Captain George Gibbs. “The intention was to discharge cargo in Melbourne, before returning to London via the Horn with wool and wheat”. Instead, on 1 June 1878, after 90 days at sea, she struck the sandstone cliffs of Mutton Bird Island on the south west coast of Victoria, and sank with the loss of 52 lives and all her cargo. The manifest of the LOCH ARD listed an array of manufactured goods and bulk metals being exported to the Colony of Victoria, with a declared value of £53,700. (202 bills of lading show an actual invoice value of £68, 456, with insurance underwriting to £30,000 of all cargo). Included in the manifest is the item of “Tin hardware & cutlery £7,530”. This teaspoon is one of 482 similar items of electro-plated cutlery from the LOCH ARD site, comprising spoons and forks of various sizes but all sharing the same general shape or design and metallic composition. 49 of these pieces display a legible makers’ mark — the initials “W” and “P” placed within a raised diamond outline, which is in turn contained within a sunken crown shape — identifying the manufacturer as William Page & Co of Birmingham. An electroplater’s makers’ marks, unlike sterling silver hallmarks, are not consistent identifiers of quality or date and place of manufacture. A similar line of five impressions was usually made to impress the consumer with an implication of industry standards, but what each one actually signified was not regulated and so they varied according to the whim of the individual foundry. In this case, the maker’s marks are often obscured by sedimentary accretion or removed by corrosion after a century of submersion in the ocean. However sufficient detail has survived to indicate that these samples of electro-plated cutlery probably originated from the same consignment in the LOCH ARD’s cargo. The following descriptions of maker’s marks are drawn from 255 tea spoons, 125 dessert spoons, and 99 table forks. These marks are clearly visible in 66 instances, while the same sequence of general outlines, or depression shapes, is discernible in another 166 examples. 1. A recessed Crown containing a raised Diamond outline and the initials “W” and “P” (the recognised trademark of William Page & Co) 2. An impressed Ellipse containing a raised, pivoted, Triangle in its lower part and bearing a Resurrection Cross on its upper section (a possible dissenting church symbol reflecting religious affiliation); OR a rounded Square impression containing a raised, ‘lazy’, letter “B” (possibly mimicking sterling silver hallmark signifying city of manufacture i.e. Birmingham) 3. An impressed rounded Square filled with a raised Maltese Cross (the base metal composite of nickel silver was also known as ‘German silver’ after its Berlin inventors in 1823) 4. A recessed Circle containing a Crab or Scarab Beetle image; OR a recessed Circle containing a rotated ‘fleur de lys’ or ‘fasces’ design 5. A depressed Diamond shape enclosing a large raised letter “R” and a small raised letter “D” (mimicking the U.K. Patent Office stamp which abbreviated the term ‘registered’ to “RD”, but also included date and class of patent) Suggested trade names for William Page & Co’s particular blend of brass plating are ‘roman silver’ or ‘silverite’. This copper alloy polishes to a lustrous gold when new, discolouring to a murky grey with greenish hue when neglected. HISTORY OF THE LOCH ARD The LOCH ARD belonged to the famous Loch Line which sailed many ships from England to Australia. Built in Glasgow by Barclay, Curdle and Co. in 1873, the LOCH ARD was a three-masted square rigged iron sailing ship. The ship measured 262ft 7" (79.87m) in length, 38ft (11.58m) in width, 23ft (7m) in depth and had a gross tonnage of 1693 tons. The LOCH ARD's main mast measured a massive 150ft (45.7m) in height. LOCH ARD made three trips to Australia and one trip to Calcutta before its final voyage. LOCH ARD left England on March 2, 1878, under the command of Captain Gibbs, a newly married, 29 year old. She was bound for Melbourne with a crew of 37, plus 17 passengers and a load of cargo. The general cargo reflected the affluence of Melbourne at the time. On board were straw hats, umbrella, perfumes, clay pipes, pianos, clocks, confectionary, linen and candles, as well as a heavier load of railway irons, cement, lead and copper. There were items included that intended for display in the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. The voyage to Port Phillip was long but uneventful. At 3am on June 1, 1878, Captain Gibbs was expecting to see land and the passengers were becoming excited as they prepared to view their new homeland in the early morning. But LOCH ARD was running into a fog which greatly reduced visibility. Captain Gibbs was becoming anxious as there was no sign of land or the Cape Otway lighthouse. At 4am the fog lifted. A man aloft announced that he could see breakers. The sheer cliffs of Victoria's west coast came into view, and Captain Gibbs realised that the ship was much closer to them than expected. He ordered as much sail to be set as time would permit and then attempted to steer the vessel out to sea. On coming head on into the wind, the ship lost momentum, the sails fell limp and LOCH ARD's bow swung back. Gibbs then ordered the anchors to be released in an attempt to hold its position. The anchors sank some 50 fathoms - but did not hold. By this time LOCH ARD was among the breakers and the tall cliffs of Mutton Bird Island rose behind the ship. Just half a mile from the coast, the ship's bow was suddenly pulled around by the anchor. The captain tried to tack out to sea, but the ship struck a reef at the base of Mutton Bird Island, near Port Campbell. Waves broke over the ship and the top deck was loosened from the hull. The masts and rigging came crashing down knocking passengers and crew overboard. When a lifeboat was finally launched, it crashed into the side of LOCH ARD and capsized. Tom Pearce, who had launched the boat, managed to cling to its overturned hull and shelter beneath it. He drifted out to sea and then on the flood tide came into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. He swam to shore, bruised and dazed, and found a cave in which to shelter. Some of the crew stayed below deck to shelter from the falling rigging but drowned when the ship slipped off the reef into deeper water. Eva Carmichael had raced onto deck to find out what was happening only to be confronted by towering cliffs looming above the stricken ship. In all the chaos, Captain Gibbs grabbed Eva and said, "If you are saved Eva, let my dear wife know that I died like a sailor". That was the last Eva Carmichael saw of the captain. She was swept off the ship by a huge wave. Eva saw Tom Pearce on a small rocky beach and yelled to attract his attention. He dived in and swam to the exhausted woman and dragged her to shore. He took her to the cave and broke open case of brandy which had washed up on the beach. He opened a bottle to revive the unconscious woman. A few hours later Tom scaled a cliff in search of help. He followed hoof prints and came by chance upon two men from nearby Glenample Station three and a half miles away. In a state of exhaustion, he told the men of the tragedy. Tom returned to the gorge while the two men rode back to the station to get help. By the time they reached LOCH ARD Gorge, it was cold and dark. The two shipwreck survivors were taken to Glenample Station to recover. Eva stayed at the station for six weeks before returning to Ireland, this time by steamship. In Melbourne, Tom Pearce received a hero's welcome. He was presented with the first gold medal of the Royal Humane Society of Victoria and a £1000 cheque from the Victorian Government. Concerts were performed to honour the young man's bravery and to raise money for those who lost family in the LOCH ARD disaster. Of the 54 crew members and passengers on board, only two survived: the apprentice, Tom Pearce and the young woman passenger, Eva Carmichael, who lost all of her family in the tragedy. Ten days after the LOCH ARD tragedy, salvage rights to the wreck were sold at auction for £2,120. Cargo valued at £3,000 was salvaged and placed on the beach, but most washed back into the sea when another storm developed. The wreck of LOCH ARD still lies at the base of Mutton Bird Island. Much of the cargo has now been salvaged and some was washed up into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. Cargo and artefacts have also been illegally salvaged over many years before protective legislation was introduced. One of the most unlikely pieces of cargo to have survived the shipwreck was a Minton porcelain peacock - one of only seven in the world. The peacock was destined for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. It had been well packed, which gave it adequate protection during the violent storm. Today, the Minton peacock can be seen at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum in Warrnambool. From Australia's most dramatic shipwreck it has now become Australia's most valuable shipwreck artefact and is one of very few 'objects' on the Victorian State Heritage Register.

Significance

The LOCH ARD shipwreck is of State significance – Victorian Heritage Register S 417. Flagstaff Hill’s collection of artefacts from LOCH ARD is significant for being one of the largest collections of artefacts from this shipwreck in Victoria. It is significant for its association with the shipwreck, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR S417). The collection is significant because of the relationship between the objects, as together they have a high potential to interpret the story of the LOCH ARD. The LOCH ARD collection is archaeologically significant as the remains of a large international passenger and cargo ship. The LOCH ARD collection is historically significant for representing aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes). The collection is also historically significant for its association with the LOCH ARD, which was one of the worst and best known shipwrecks in Victoria’s history.

Port goblets, set of 38

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Tulip shaped silver plated port goblets

Inscriptions & Markings

"4/19" etched on base

Artwork - [Untitled]

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Framed artwork.

Historical information

This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Photograph - Colour - Great Western Winery, 2010

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the underground cellar at great Western Winery.

BLOTTER

Clunes Museum, Clunes

BLOTTER ADVERTISING JAMES DUNSTAN BOOT AND SHOE ARCADE

Journal - The Australian Corriedale Journal No 4 1985

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

The Australian Corriedale Journal 1985. The official journal of the Australian Corriedale Association

Bottles - Ink - Collection of Ink Bottles

Greensborough Historical Society,

Three ink bottles, various sizes and glass colours. Two have metal lids.

Historical information

Collection of three glass ink bottles.

Cardboard container

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Cardboard box, originally a packaging for chocolates. Lid depicts a woman dressed in early 1900s fashion holding a racquet. 'SCHRAFFT'S CHOCOLATES' and 'COPYRIGHT 1904, W.F. SCHRAFFT & SONS' printed on lid next to image. Blue ribbon is attached to sides of lid and tied in a bow on top centre. Box contains only a loose rice paper lining. Materials: Cardboard, Ink, Paper

PROJECTILE

Bendigo RSL Military Museum, Bendigo

.1) .50 calibre shell casing, brass. .2) .50 calibre round, brass with rifling.

Historical information

Item souveniered by H.J.B.Burrell BEM MM, VX56959. Refer 290, 296.2P, 297.2P 298.4.

Inscriptions & Markings

.1) "u" "2"

Prints - MG Print

Gippsland Vehicle Collection, Maffra

Framed MG Print (1 of 3)

Uniform

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Service dress tunic, polyester summer, with yellow cord lanyard, officer badges of rank, 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles collar badges, silver Royal Australian Armoured Corps RAAC) buttons, and pilot qualification badge (wings). Neck decoration Knight Commander of British Empire (KBE) (Civilian list) (replica); ribbon bar denoting: Order of the British Empire (Civil), Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC), 39-45 Star, Europe and Germany Star, pacific Star, Defence Medal 1939-45, British War Medal 1939-45, Australian Service Medal 1939-45, Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal.

Historical information

This tunic was worn by Sir David Fairbairn KBE DFC when Honorary Colonel of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment 1981-83. Sir David served with 21st Light Horse prior to World War Two. During WWII he served with the Royal Australian Air Force flying Spitfires in Britain and Europe and later in the war, in the Pacific theatre. Following the war, he entered politics, holding the federal seat of Farrer from 1949-1975. He was Minister for Defence 1971-73. Sir David was Australian Ambassador to the Netherlands 1977-1980.

Significance

This object is well provenanced, complete and representative uniform worn by an honorary colonel of the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment, a man who gave exemplary service as a serviceman, politician and diplomat.

Racquet

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

An R.M. Co. (or M.R. Co.) West End flat top tennis racquet, with solid concave throat, and rare inlaid cork handle. Manufacturer and model details, in and around the image of a tennis racquet, feature on throat on obverse, and is a very early use of decal. Materials: Wood, Lacquer, Glue, Metal, Gut, Ink, Cork

Ornament

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Metal cannon model ornament, with decorative funnel set in wood block of L shape design. Possibly part of a book end.

Tins, tart

Port Fairy Historical Society , Port Fairy

21 small tart tins

Plane

Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc, Caulfield

Plane, wood, matching, 3/4", yongue

Historical information

This item is part of the Thomas Caine Tool Collection, owned by The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and curated by the Hand Tools Preservation Association of Australia.

Painting - Mordialloc Creek Towards Wells Road

Kingston Arts, Moorabin

Microfiche - Births Register Index

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

small sheet of film

Inscriptions & Markings

1856 MILLER I TO 1856 ROGERS W

Photograph - Australian Rivals - Past and Present

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Photographs of paintings of steam and sailing ships, 3 photographs mounted together, titled "Australian Rivals - Past and Present". The centre picture of the Thermopylae and the Cutty Sark is flanked either side by a picture of steam ships. Inscribed on the photos is the hand writing "LFFT picture - "A.V. GREGORY - SS KATOOMBA", CENTRE picture - "THERMOPLAE - A.V. GREGORY - CUTTY SARK - FIRST AWAY" and RIGHT picture - "CANBERRA - A/V/ GREGORY" The document with the photos gives History of the famous Tea Race from China to London in 1872.

Historical information

These mounted photographs, by A.V. Gregory, show both steam and sailing ships sailing in the Tea Race from China to London in 1872. The informaiton included with the photographs has the following text: “Tea Clippers “ Well done Cutty Sark, by Bobbie Burns The CUTTY SARK and THERMOPYLAE. The start of the 1872 Tea Race from China to London. The “Cutty Sark” first away, followed closely by the “Thermopylae”, finally parting after several days’ company. On this race the “Cutty Sark” lost her rudder in the Indian Ocean, putting her hopelessly out of the race, and enabling the “Thermopylae” to pass her and reach London on 11th October, 115 days out, the “Cutty Sark” limping home seven days later. The credit of the race was given to the “Cutty Sark” by the shipping world. Copies of the pictures may be had from A.V. Gregory, 326 Albert Road, South Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

The mounted photographs are titled "Australian Rivals - Past and Present". Inscribed on the photos is the hand writing "LFFT picture - "A.V. GREGORY - SS KATOOMBA", CENTRE picture - "THERMOPLAE - A.V. GREGORY - CUTTY SARK - FIRST AWAY" and RIGHT picture - "CANBERRA - A/V/ GREGORY"

Flare pistol

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

German Hebel Model 1894 flare pistol. Breach loading. Steel construction, wooden pistol grips. This firearm has been rendered inoperative

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial No FL 25469

Racquet

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Wooden, slotted handle racquet with a 14 inch head. 'AUSTRALASIAN' model, as inscribed across top of racquet head on obverse. Inscription across neck of obverse: HARRY C. LEE & CO./NEW YORK. Company monogram across neck of reverse, and stamped on leather butt cap: L&C/TRADEMARK. Manufacturing and patent information along the sides of the handle, with the numbers '247' and '14' punched in. Materials: Wood, Gut, Leather, Metal, Ink, Glue, Lacquer, Cloth tape

Tennis Pennant

Yendon History Group, Yendon

Triangular pennant, laminated. Maroon felt with yellow printing. Inscription in black.

Inscriptions & Markings

'A' RESERVE / 1974 - '75 / YENDON

Morse Key

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Morse key stainless steel. "The Simplex Auto" Registered 4420. Made by Leo G. Cohen, Melbourne Victoria. Supported on three rubber legs, with connecting lead across two terminals under base.

Booklet - The Bulldog Track.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Green cardboard cover side bound folio with 53 printed pages.

Booklet - "Souvenir of H.R.H. Prince of Wales' Visit to Caulfield 31ST MAY, 1920"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Grey paper cover with gold printed text bound with purple wool thread. The booklet contains 5 pages with black and white facsimile copy of cover and pages from a book possibly presented to HRH on the occasion of his visit. Final page is a copy of a letter from H.R.H to the City of Caulfield.

Historical information

Booklet created by Caulfield City Council on the occasion of the visit of H. R. H. Prince of Wales' to Australia in 1920.

Whitelaw, Grace Dora

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

This file contains one item., Photocopy of an entry from the book WHO’S WHO IN THE WORLD OF WOMEN, Mrs Whitelaw, Grace Dora, undated.

DOCUMENTS

Bendigo RSL Military Museum, Bendigo

.1) Note pad, yellowish, cardboard backing , has lined sheet for printing. Each page has "red crest "8th Battalion A.M.F (City of Ballarat Regiment) Officers Mess. .2) Note pad, cover yellowish with blotting page attached. .3) -.15) Envelopes (13) Red crest on Rear 8th Battalion - Battalion detachment - celler at audar"

Historical information

Henry Thomas Ridge V57996, VX148845, CMF & AIF. Refer 475.10, 473P.

Inscriptions & Markings

.2) "H.T. Ridge underlined"

Book - The Victoria Government Gazette 1886 1 Vol 71

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Victoria Government Gazette 1886 1 Vol 71

Artwork - Painting - 'Journey Beyond' by Neville Bunning

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Framed watercolour painting with three abstract figures. Gift of David Alexander

Historical information

Neville Bunning taught Ceramics at the Ballarat Technical Art School, a division of the Ballarat School of Mines.

Inscriptions & Markings

signed lower right side 'Neville Bunning'

Photograph

Queen Victoria Women's Centre, Melbourne

Colour photograph. First floor corridor. Looking south to the women's lounge and what is the Fitted or Work office in 2015. The left door entrance was into the former matron's office of the hospital. Man in blue shirt sanding the floor faces away from the camera. Taken during restoration inspection.

Photograph album - Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School China Trip 1989

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Royal blue with gold border trim cover comprising 17 double sided pages each with two coloured photographs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten description above every photograph with names of students and events

Book, Knitting - Patons Style Vol. 11

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

This knitting pattern book was published by Patons and Baldwins and contains knitting patterns for womens knitted garments. All the garments have been named after English castles.

Inscriptions & Markings

Style / "GLAMIS" / See page 10 / A Patons & Baldwins' Publication / Vol. 11 / 1'4

Picture - William Brooks

Streatham and District Historical Society, Streatham

Rectangular picture in black and white. Torn on back. In gray lead " Thought to be A Vaughan"

Inscriptions & Markings

On back in purple pencil " W Brooks" In blue pen "Bill Brooks lived by the brigde at Streatham? (Jack McKenzies)

City of Essendon: 'For Duty Nobly Done'.

Warrnambool RSL Sub Branch, Warrnambool

Coin

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Copper Coin with hole in centre featuring motifs and the words "Internment Camps" on one side and "Three Pence", the currency value, on the other side.

Historical information

Coin found at Camp 13 when huts were being dismantled and relocated.

Chinese English Dictionary

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

A5 sized thin, brown paper book, bound along spine with stitching.

Historical information

Translation dictionary

Weight

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Weight, brass, Stamped F27, 2lb.

Untitled

Bendigo RSL Military Museum, Bendigo

Image

Vision Australia,

B/W photograph

Historical information

An ultrasonic torch sends out a high frequency beam that bounces off items in it's path and sends back signals to an ear piece worn by the user. A change in sound indicates the nearness of an object, and it was (at the time) thought to be a possible replacement for white canes in the future. In this image, a man descends steps in an old blockstone building, using the torch to guide him.

Inscriptions & Markings

6/68049 Ultrasonic torch being used at the Royal Blind Society.

Photographs x 2 - Clover Dam

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

1. Black and white photograph of Clover Dam under construction. Has a .5cm white border around photo 2. Black and white photograph of Clover Dam under construction showing workmen at work. Has a .5cm white border around photo

Historical information

As part of the push to cut electricity costs and diversify supply, the Victorian Government (circa 1930) implemented the conversion strategy from mainly brown coal supply to hydro - electricity. The Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme became the largest scheme of its kind in the State Of Victoria and the second largest scheme in Australia. Clover Dam and Power Station were built by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria as part of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme from the late 1930's to the early 1940's. This dam was constructed to supply water to feed four turbines (62 mega watts) at the West Kiewa Power Station. This was at the forefront of sustainable "Green" energy. Costs associated with power supplies is still a major incentive of governments, however environmentally friendly alternatives such as wind and nuclear have also made inroads.

Significance

The Kiewa valley and its surrounding alpine catchment were looked at(Victorian State Government), from the beginning of the twentieth century as a source of alternate power for an ever-increasing demand for electricity by growing population and heavy industrial areas within Melbourne City and State regions. Construction of dams, such as Clover Dam provided the large quantity holding areas of water required to turn the turbines at the various power stations to provide the electricity needed. The impact of these controls by moderating water run-off from the alpine regions is beneficial in reducing flooding from thawing of snow on the alps. This by-product allows agriculture and grazing to be less vulnerable to seasonal flooding thereby resulting in a more stable annual production level. Photographs also document early engineering and building techniques used in the construction of dams and power stations during the 1940’s and 1950’s. Note the lack of safety equipment and suitable work attire worn by construction workers on the sites

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pencil on back of both photographs - Clover Dam

School Magazine - Watsonia High School Kurnaji Yearbook 1971

Greensborough Historical Society,

50 Pages (approx), Blue & White cover, Title "Kurnaji" in Blue ink.

Historical information

Depicts events and attitudes, primarily of students as they go through their adolescent years in the early 1970's.

Significance

A permanent record of Who attended Watsonia High School - both student and teacher in 1971 - includes photographs

Inscriptions & Markings

Includes Roll Call section with names of all students.

Photograph - Crowes: G41 over "The Black Stump"

Otway Districts Historical Society, Beech Forest

G41 over "The Black Stump" at Crowes, 7 July 1942.

Historical information

G41 derailed at Crowes at "The Black Stump" on 7 July 1942, with Con Duggan, G. Newland and Frank Woosnan observing..

Nurses Home, 1955, Ballarat Base Hospital

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League,

Photo - black & white

Historical information

Nurses Home, 1955, Ballarat Base Hospital

Significance

Photo taken from 2nd floor window. Nurses home was officially opened on 21st November 1951 by the Governor of Victoria, General Sir Dallas Brooks

Spoon

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Unrestored tea spoon from the wreck of the LOCH ARD. The spoon design has a flattened fiddle-back handle, with a thin stem or shank, flared collar, and elongated bowl. The spoons metallic composition is a thin layer of brass alloy which has partially corroded back to a nickel-silver base metal. Approximately 60% of original electroplating survives, with some spotted verdigris. A plain heraldic shield is partly visible on the upper rear of spoon bowl. Outlines of three makers marks are discernible (Diamond, Circle, Diamond) but interiors are obscured.

Historical information

This tea spoon is from the wreck of the LOCH ARD, a Loch Line ship of 1,693 tons which sailed from Gravesend, London, on 2 March 1878 with 17 passengers and a crew of 36 under Captain George Gibbs. “The intention was to discharge cargo in Melbourne, before returning to London via the Horn with wool and wheat”. Instead, on 1 June 1878, after 90 days at sea, she struck the sandstone cliffs of Mutton Bird Island on the south west coast of Victoria, and sank with the loss of 52 lives and all her cargo. The manifest of the LOCH ARD listed an array of manufactured goods and bulk metals being exported to the Colony of Victoria, with a declared value of £53,700. (202 bills of lading show an actual invoice value of £68, 456, with insurance underwriting to £30,000 of all cargo). Included in the manifest is the item of “Tin hardware & cutlery £7,530”. This teaspoon is one of 482 similar items of electro-plated cutlery from the LOCH ARD site, comprising spoons and forks of various sizes but all sharing the same general shape or design and metallic composition. 49 of these pieces display a legible makers’ mark — the initials “W” and “P” placed within a raised diamond outline, which is in turn contained within a sunken crown shape — identifying the manufacturer as William Page & Co of Birmingham. An electroplater’s makers’ marks, unlike sterling silver hallmarks, are not consistent identifiers of quality or date and place of manufacture. A similar line of five impressions was usually made to impress the consumer with an implication of industry standards, but what each one actually signified was not regulated and so they varied according to the whim of the individual foundry. In this case, the maker’s marks are often obscured by sedimentary accretion or removed by corrosion after a century of submersion in the ocean. However sufficient detail has survived to indicate that these samples of electro-plated cutlery probably originated from the same consignment in the LOCH ARD’s cargo. The following descriptions of maker’s marks are drawn from 255 tea spoons, 125 dessert spoons, and 99 table forks. These marks are clearly visible in 66 instances, while the same sequence of general outlines, or depression shapes, is discernible in another 166 examples. 1. A recessed Crown containing a raised Diamond outline and the initials “W” and “P” (the recognised trademark of William Page & Co) 2. An impressed Ellipse containing a raised, pivoted, Triangle in its lower part and bearing a Resurrection Cross on its upper section (a possible dissenting church symbol reflecting religious affiliation); OR a rounded Square impression containing a raised, ‘lazy’, letter “B” (possibly mimicking sterling silver hallmark signifying city of manufacture i.e. Birmingham) 3. An impressed rounded Square filled with a raised Maltese Cross (the base metal composite of nickel silver was also known as ‘German silver’ after its Berlin inventors in 1823) 4. A recessed Circle containing a Crab or Scarab Beetle image; OR a recessed Circle containing a rotated ‘fleur de lys’ or ‘fasces’ design 5. A depressed Diamond shape enclosing a large raised letter “R” and a small raised letter “D” (mimicking the U.K. Patent Office stamp which abbreviated the term ‘registered’ to “RD”, but also included date and class of patent) Suggested trade names for William Page & Co’s particular blend of brass plating are ‘roman silver’ or ‘silverite’. This copper alloy polishes to a lustrous gold when new, discolouring to a murky grey with greenish hue when neglected. HISTORY OF THE LOCH ARD The LOCH ARD belonged to the famous Loch Line which sailed many ships from England to Australia. Built in Glasgow by Barclay, Curdle and Co. in 1873, the LOCH ARD was a three-masted square rigged iron sailing ship. The ship measured 262ft 7" (79.87m) in length, 38ft (11.58m) in width, 23ft (7m) in depth and had a gross tonnage of 1693 tons. The LOCH ARD's main mast measured a massive 150ft (45.7m) in height. LOCH ARD made three trips to Australia and one trip to Calcutta before its final voyage. LOCH ARD left England on March 2, 1878, under the command of Captain Gibbs, a newly married, 29 year old. She was bound for Melbourne with a crew of 37, plus 17 passengers and a load of cargo. The general cargo reflected the affluence of Melbourne at the time. On board were straw hats, umbrella, perfumes, clay pipes, pianos, clocks, confectionary, linen and candles, as well as a heavier load of railway irons, cement, lead and copper. There were items included that intended for display in the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. The voyage to Port Phillip was long but uneventful. At 3am on June 1, 1878, Captain Gibbs was expecting to see land and the passengers were becoming excited as they prepared to view their new homeland in the early morning. But LOCH ARD was running into a fog which greatly reduced visibility. Captain Gibbs was becoming anxious as there was no sign of land or the Cape Otway lighthouse. At 4am the fog lifted. A man aloft announced that he could see breakers. The sheer cliffs of Victoria's west coast came into view, and Captain Gibbs realised that the ship was much closer to them than expected. He ordered as much sail to be set as time would permit and then attempted to steer the vessel out to sea. On coming head on into the wind, the ship lost momentum, the sails fell limp and LOCH ARD's bow swung back. Gibbs then ordered the anchors to be released in an attempt to hold its position. The anchors sank some 50 fathoms - but did not hold. By this time LOCH ARD was among the breakers and the tall cliffs of Mutton Bird Island rose behind the ship. Just half a mile from the coast, the ship's bow was suddenly pulled around by the anchor. The captain tried to tack out to sea, but the ship struck a reef at the base of Mutton Bird Island, near Port Campbell. Waves broke over the ship and the top deck was loosened from the hull. The masts and rigging came crashing down knocking passengers and crew overboard. When a lifeboat was finally launched, it crashed into the side of LOCH ARD and capsized. Tom Pearce, who had launched the boat, managed to cling to its overturned hull and shelter beneath it. He drifted out to sea and then on the flood tide came into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. He swam to shore, bruised and dazed, and found a cave in which to shelter. Some of the crew stayed below deck to shelter from the falling rigging but drowned when the ship slipped off the reef into deeper water. Eva Carmichael had raced onto deck to find out what was happening only to be confronted by towering cliffs looming above the stricken ship. In all the chaos, Captain Gibbs grabbed Eva and said, "If you are saved Eva, let my dear wife know that I died like a sailor". That was the last Eva Carmichael saw of the captain. She was swept off the ship by a huge wave. Eva saw Tom Pearce on a small rocky beach and yelled to attract his attention. He dived in and swam to the exhausted woman and dragged her to shore. He took her to the cave and broke open case of brandy which had washed up on the beach. He opened a bottle to revive the unconscious woman. A few hours later Tom scaled a cliff in search of help. He followed hoof prints and came by chance upon two men from nearby Glenample Station three and a half miles away. In a state of exhaustion, he told the men of the tragedy. Tom returned to the gorge while the two men rode back to the station to get help. By the time they reached LOCH ARD Gorge, it was cold and dark. The two shipwreck survivors were taken to Glenample Station to recover. Eva stayed at the station for six weeks before returning to Ireland, this time by steamship. In Melbourne, Tom Pearce received a hero's welcome. He was presented with the first gold medal of the Royal Humane Society of Victoria and a £1000 cheque from the Victorian Government. Concerts were performed to honour the young man's bravery and to raise money for those who lost family in the LOCH ARD disaster. Of the 54 crew members and passengers on board, only two survived: the apprentice, Tom Pearce and the young woman passenger, Eva Carmichael, who lost all of her family in the tragedy. Ten days after the LOCH ARD tragedy, salvage rights to the wreck were sold at auction for £2,120. Cargo valued at £3,000 was salvaged and placed on the beach, but most washed back into the sea when another storm developed. The wreck of LOCH ARD still lies at the base of Mutton Bird Island. Much of the cargo has now been salvaged and some was washed up into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. Cargo and artefacts have also been illegally salvaged over many years before protective legislation was introduced. One of the most unlikely pieces of cargo to have survived the shipwreck was a Minton porcelain peacock - one of only seven in the world. The peacock was destined for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. It had been well packed, which gave it adequate protection during the violent storm. Today, the Minton peacock can be seen at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum in Warrnambool. From Australia's most dramatic shipwreck it has now become Australia's most valuable shipwreck artefact and is one of very few 'objects' on the Victorian State Heritage Register.

Significance

The LOCH ARD shipwreck is of State significance – Victorian Heritage Register S 417. Flagstaff Hill’s collection of artefacts from LOCH ARD is significant for being one of the largest collections of artefacts from this shipwreck in Victoria. It is significant for its association with the shipwreck, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR S417). The collection is significant because of the relationship between the objects, as together they have a high potential to interpret the story of the LOCH ARD. The LOCH ARD collection is archaeologically significant as the remains of a large international passenger and cargo ship. The LOCH ARD collection is historically significant for representing aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes). The collection is also historically significant for its association with the LOCH ARD, which was one of the worst and best known shipwrecks in Victoria’s history.