Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

115880 items with images

close

115880 items with images

Flat Wagon - H Class Bogie Flat Wagon

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

H Class Bogie Flat Wagon made of Iron, wrought iron and steel

Historical information

This vehicle was used on the Innisfail tramway line in Northern Queensland and given the "H" Classification. It was later sold to Howard Smith Industries. The wagon has been donated to the Museum and sees use on the Museum's 2'0" gauge line.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow gauge Railways - Rolling stock - Innisfail tramway line in Northern Queensland

Report - Magazine Lyndoch Warrnambool 1982

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a booklet with a plasticized cover with a white back and a multi-coloured front cover. The front cover has a photograph of a Lyndoch building. There are six double-sided pages with printed material and photographs on white paper and a yellow and orange strip across the top of the pages. The pages are stapled.

Historical information

This is the 1982 Annual Report for Lyndoch Home and Hospital for the Aged, Warrnambool. It contains lists of Board Members, a President’s Report, Lyndoch’s Aims, financial reports, photographs and a list of Life Governors. Lyndoch Home for the Aged was established in 1952 and has developed with a wide range of facilities for the aged since that date. The original Lyndoch property near the mouth of the Hopkins River was owned by a Melbourne tea merchant, George Rolfe, who bought the land when there were on the site only a couple of cottages and a larger building which had been a school, Warrnambool Grammar, run by Henry Kemmis. Rolfe acquired the land in the 1870s and named the property Lyndoch after the town in the Barossa Valley where he had lived. He owned Lyndoch for 44 years and it was his stepdaughter, Florence Lake who built in the 1920s the bungalow known as Lyndoch which forms the original building of the Lyndoch Home for the Aged, Today the facility is called Lyndoch Living.

Significance

This 1982 report is kept for the benefit of researchers wanting details of the history of Lyndoch over the past 30 or 40 years.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front cover: Lyndoch Warrnambool Annual Report 1982 Stamp of Warrnambool Library On back cover: A red circle with the words ‘Lyndoch, Comfort and Security for Aged Folk’

Theatre Poster - The Story of the Kelly Gang - a 1906 Australian film that traces the life of the legendary infamous outlaw and bushranger Ned Kelly (1854–1880). It was directed by Charles Tait. It was first shown at the Athenaeum Hall in Melbourne on 26 December 1906.

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

Photograph - Digital image - Greensborough: Methodist Church at 37 Grimshaw Street

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

The Methodist Church moved from Main Street to this location in Grimshaw Street in the 1970s. It is now named the Living Faith Church.

PHOTOGRAPH, FRAMED

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Black & white group portrait photo of a company of uniformed soldiers, probably WWII, in a training depot with black & white dog in the foreground & a horse racing track in the background. Brown wooden frame without glass. Photo mounted on fawn border with cardboard backing.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed below photo: TO LIEUT E. E. SUGDEN B' COY, 3rd A.A.S.C. Training Depot, Bendigo Handwritten RHS below photo Vincent Kelly Bendigo

Ball container , Ball

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

A sealed clear plastic container of three Wilson multicoloured 'Peppers' tennis balls. Plastic reclosure cap over ring-pull style metal lid. Materials: Metal, Ink, Rubber, Plastic, Synthetic material

Photograph - Digital image - Vito Sculli 2016

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Vito Sculli at work in Greensborough Plaza shop in 2016. The Sculli family came to Melbourne in the 1950s and in 1960 opened a fruit shop in Main Street Greensborough.

Photograph

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Photograph of SS Dawn at Portland. Building in background Portland and Belfast Steamship Company

Machine made lace

Australian Lace Guild - Victorian Branch, Gardenvale

Machine made "Chemical" lace motif. Cotton thread embroidered onto a base fabric which is later dissolved away.

MANUAL - Map Reading, Air Photo Reading and Field Sketching, Part 1 Map Reading 1955

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Red hard cover manual, 131 pages with some fold out sheets, titled: Map Reading Air Photo Reading and Field Sketching Part 1 Map Reading 1955

Inscriptions & Markings

W O Code 8868

Book - Minutes April 1989 to June 1990

Deaf Children Australia, Melbourne

Red leather cover with black leather spine, hardcover blank book containing type pages glued onto blank pages. Contains minutes of meetings of the Board of Management of the Victorian School for Deaf Children from April 1989 to June 1990

Historical information

The minutes of each meeting of the Board of Management of the Victorian Deaf & Dumb Institution, the Victorian School for Deaf Children and Deaf Children Australia has been retained from 1862 to 2010.

Significance

The minutes of the meetings provide an insight into the day to day running of the School, from Wages and Salaries, student issues to broader educational topics, building works and finances.

Inscriptions & Markings

Spine: "MINUTES/Apr 1989 to June 1990"

000735 Photograph - 1950's - Rowing Boats - Roy Vague & Albert in Dinghy - from Bill Grieve

Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch

Clifton Bridge

Darebin Parklands Association, Alphington

Colour photograph. The wooden frame of the Clifton Bridge which the concrete was poured in to set.

Historical information

The bridge was designed and constucted by Sidney Clifton, an engineer who lived in a house neighbouring the parklands.

Trophy - Ballarat School of Mines House Cup

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A conical silver plated cup with handles and lid, on a black bakelite base. Includes hand engraving.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on cup "SMB House Cup 1961 Gold"

Dog

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

China toy dog salvaged from the wreck of the Fiji. This moulded toy is made of bisque (sometimes described as bisque or porcelain) and is tan in colour. The dog is solid with a pitted surface

Historical information

This toy dog was part of the cargo from the Fiji and amongst the articles salvaged from the wreck. The three-masted iron barque Fiji had been built in Belfast, Ireland, in 1875 by Harland and Wolfe for a Liverpool based shipping company. The ship departed Hamburg on 22nd May 1891 bound for Melbourne, under the command of Captain William Vickers with a crew of 25. The ship’s manifest shows that she was loaded with a cargo of 260 cases of dynamite, pig iron, steel goods, spirits (whisky, schnapps, gin, brandy), sailcloth, tobacco, coiled fencing wire, concrete, 400 German pianos (Sweet Hapsburg), concertinas and other musical instruments, artists supplies including brushes, porcelain, furniture, china, and general cargo including candles. There were also toys in anticipation for Christmas, including wooden rocking horses, miniature ships, dolls with china limbs and rubber balls. On September 5th, one hundred days out from Hamburg in squally and boisterous south west winds the Cape Otway light was sighted on a bearing differing from Captain Vickers’ calculation of his position. At about 2:30am, Sunday 6th September 1891 land was reported 4-5 miles off the port bow. The captain tried to put the ship on the other tack, but she would not respond. He then tried to turn her the other way but just as the manoeuvre was being completed the Fiji struck rock only 300 yards (274 metres) from shore. The place is known as Wreck Bay, Moonlight Head. Blue lights were burned and rockets fired whilst an effort was made to lower boats but all capsized or swamped and smashed to pieces. Two of the younger crewmen volunteered to swim for the shore, taking a line. One, a Russian named Daniel Carkland, drowned after he was swept away when the line broke. The other, 17 year old able seaman Julius Gebauhr, a German, reached shore safely on his second attempt but without the line, which he had cut lose with his sheath-knife when it become tangled in kelp. He rested on the beach a while then climbed the steep cliffs in search of help. At about 10am on the Sunday morning a party of land selectors - including F. J. Stansmore, Leslie Dickson (or Dixon) and Mott - found Gebauhr. They were near Ryans Den, on their travels on horseback from Princetown towards Moonlight Head, and about 5km from the wreck. Gebauhr was lying in the scrub in a poor state, bleeding and dressed only in singlet, socks and a belt with his sheath-knife, ready for all emergencies. At first they were concerned about his wild and shaggy looking state and what seemed to be gibberish speech, taking him to be an escaped lunatic. They were reassured after he threw his knife away and realised that he was speaking half-English, half-German. They gave him food and brandy and some clothing and were then able to gain information about the wreck. Some of the men took him to Rivernook, a nearby guest house owned by John Evans, where he was cared for. Stansmore and Dickson rode off to try and summon help. Others went down to the site of the wreck. Messages for rescuing the rest of the crew were sent both to Port Campbell for the rocket rescue crew and to Warrnambool for the lifeboat. The S.S. Casino sailed from Portland towards the scene. After travelling the 25 miles to the scene, half of the Port Campbell rocket crew and equipment arrived and set up the rocket tripod on the beach below the cliffs. By this time the crew of the Fiji had been clinging to the jib-boom for almost 15 hours, calling frantically for help. Mr Tregear from the Rocket Crew fired the line. The light line broke and the rocket was carried away. A second line was successfully fired across the ship and made fast. The anxious sailors then attempted to come ashore along the line but, with as many as five at a time, the line sagged considerably and some were washed off. Others, nearly exhausted, had to then make their way through masses of seaweed and were often smothered by waves. Only 14 of the 24 who had remained on the ship made it to shore. Many onlookers on the beach took it in turns to go into the surf and drag half-drowned seamen to safety. These rescuers included Bill (William James) Robe, Edwin Vinge, Hugh Cameron, Fenelon Mott, Arthur Wilkinson and Peter Carmody. (Peter Carmody was also involved in the rescue of men from the Newfield.) Arthur Wilkinson, a 29 year old land selector, swam out to the aid of one of the ship’s crewmen, a carpenter named John Plunken. Plunken was attempting to swim from the Fiji to the shore. Two or three times both men almost reached the shore but were washed back to the wreck. A line was thrown to them and they were both hauled aboard. It was thought that Wilkinson struck his head on the anchor before s they were brought up. He remained unconscious. The carpenter survived this ordeal but Wilkinson later died and his body was washed up the next day. It was 26 year old Bill Robe who hauled out the last man, the captain, who had become tangled in the kelp. The wreck of the Fiji was smashed apart within 20 minutes of the captain being brought ashore, and it settled in about 6m of water. Of the 26 men on the Fiji, 11 in total lost their lives. The remains of 7 bodies were washed onto the beach and their coffins were made from timbers from the wrecked Fiji. They were buried on the cliff top above the wreck. The survivors were warmed by fires on the beach then taken to Rivernook and cared for over the next few days. Funds were raised by local communities soon after the wreck in aid of the sufferers of the Fiji disaster. Captain Vickers was severely reprimanded for his mishandling of the ship. His Masters Certificate was suspended for 12 months. At the time there was also a great deal of public criticism at the slow and disorganised rescue attempt to save those on board. The important canvas ‘breech buoy’ or ‘bucket chair’ and the heavy line from the Rocket Rescue was in the half of the rocket outfit that didn’t make it in time for the rescue: they had been delayed at the Gellibrand River ferry. Communications to Warrnambool were down so the call for help didn’t get through on time and the two or three boats that had been notified of the wreck failed to reach it in time. Much looting occurred of the cargo that washed up on the shore, with nearly every visitor leaving the beach with bulky pockets. One looter was caught with a small load of red and white rubber balls, which were duly confiscated and he was ‘detained’ for 14 days. Essence of peppermint mysteriously turned up in many settlers homes. Sailcloth was salvaged and used for horse rugs and tent flies. Soon after the wreck “Fiji tobacco” was being advertised around Victoria. A Customs officer, trying to prevent some of the looting, was assaulted by looters and thrown over a steep cliff. He managed to cling to a bush lower down until rescued. In 1894 some coiled fencing wire was salvaged from the wreck. Hundreds of coils are still strewn over the site of the wreck, encrusted and solidified. The hull is broken but the vessel’s iron ribs can be seen along with some of the cargo of concrete and pig iron. Captain Vickers presented Bill Robe with his silver-cased pocket watch, the only possession that he still had, as a token for having saved his life and the lives of some of the crew. (The pocket watch came with 2 winding keys, one to wind it and one to change the hands.) Years later Bill passed the watch to his brother-in-law Gib (Gilbert) Hulands as payment of a debt and it has been passed down the family to Gilbert Hulands’ grandson, John Hulands. Seaman Julius Gebauhr later gave his knife, in its hand crafted leather sheath, to F. J. Stansmore for caring for him when he came ashore. The knife handle had a personal inscription on it. A marble headstone on the 200m high cliffs overlooking Wreck Beach, west of Moonlight Head, paying tribute to the men who lost their lives when Fiji ran aground. The scene of the wreck is marked by the anchor from the Fiji, erected by Warrnambool skin divers in 1967. Amongst the artefacts salvaged from the Fiji are bisque (or china) toys, (including miniature animals, limbs from small bisque dolls), rubber balls, a slate pencil, a glass bottle, sample of rope from the distress rocket and a candlestick holder. These items are now part of the Fiji collection at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum, along with Captain Vickers’ pocket watch and Julius Gebauhr’s sheath knife.

Significance

Flagstaff Hill’s Fiji collection is of historical significance at a State level because of its association with the wreck Fiji, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register VHR S259. The Fiji is archaeologically significant as the wreck of a typical 19th century international sailing ship with cargo. It is educationally and recreationally significant as one of Victoria's most spectacular historic shipwreck dive sites with structural features and remains of the cargo evident. It also represents aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes). The Fiji collection meets the following criteria for assessment: Criterion A: Importance to the course, or pattern, of Victoria’s cultural history. Criterion B: Possession of uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of Victoria’s cultural history Criterion C: Potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of Victoria’s cultural history.

Boots

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

High sided flying boots. Brown Leather. Lace at the Botton. 3 Straps & Buckles

Photo

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Photo and certificate - Pte. A.C.McNicol

Theatre Program - Hair - The Tribal Love Rock Musical(musical)staged by Nigel Triffitt, Graeme Blundell and David Atkins performed at the Athenaeum Theatre in September 1991

Melbourne Athenaeum Archives, Melbourne

coloured Theatre Program : good condition

Photograph

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and White photograph of performers in The Cingalee or Sunny Ceylon. The Cingalee is a musical play in two acts by James T. Tanner, with music by Lionel Monckton, lyrics by Adrian Ross and Percy Greenbank, and additional material by Paul Rubens. The photograph is of the performers on the raised stage of the Kew Recreation Hall with the conductor, Harry Jacobs, at front. The elaborate scenery was designed by Lance Nicholls who also produced, arranged and directed the performance

Historical information

The Kew Light Opera Company was formed in 1952, and mounted a number of musical and variety productions each year until it was subsumed in the "Q" Theatre Guild in 1957. A partial record of performances by the company includes: 1952 Florodora, 1953 The Cingalee - San Toy or The Emperor's Own, 1954 While the Sun Shines - A Country Girl - Our Miss Gibbs, 1955 The Toreador - The Arcadians, 1956 The Maid of the Mountains - Whiteoaks - Goodnight Vienna!, 1957 A Country Girl. Most of the Company's performances took place in the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street, Kew.

Significance

The scrapbook of annotated photographs, programmes, and newspaper reviews of which this item is a part was assembled by Marion Tilley, wardrobe mistress for, and performer in, productions by the Kew Light Opera Company and the "Q" Theatre Guild. It is significant as a remarkably complete document of theatre performances in Kew, Victoria during the 1950s and 1960s. The scrapbook, and the items individually catalogued within it, have artistic and aesthetic significance within the history of performing arts in Victoria in the middle of the 20th Century. They have social significance in that they reveal socio-cultural values and preoccupations during the period. The records also act as a history of arts activities in the Kew Recreation Hall and later in the Kew City Hall as entertainment and community arts and music precincts.

Inscriptions & Markings

A21 numbered lower right

Document - Thankyou from Maldon Pre-School

Tarrangower History (Maldon & District), Maldon

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

SEPIA POSTCARD / PHOTOGRAPH ST. PAULS CHURCH, CLUNES. ST. PAULS CHURCH WITH TWO TALL GUM TREES EITHER SIDE - WHITE PICKET FENCE IN FRONT AND THREE CHILDREN WALKING ALONG FOOTPATH.

Inscriptions & Markings

ST. PAUL'S CHURCH,

Powerful Owl - The Co-op provides habitat for rare and endangered species such as the Powerful Owl. Sightings of local fauna and birds are recorded regularly.

Round the Bend Conservation Co-operative, Bend Of Islands

Colour photo

Historical information

Photo taken on Round the Bend Conservation Co-operative

Book - Teach ya

Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages, Rippleside

Produced to encourage young Aboriginal people to consider a career in teaching.

Inscriptions & Markings

colour illustrations, b&w illustrations, colour photographs

Photograph - Looking North along Main Road near intersection with John Street, Eltham, February 1968

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph

Historical information

Shows cars parked outside Burgoyne's store on the east side

Significance

In February 1968 an unknown person took a series of photos from the Eltham Hotel at Pitt Street heading north along Main Road through the shopping centre to just north of Elsa Court covering the length of the section of Main Road which was duplicated shortly thereafter. Shows the condition and environment of the streesscape of Main Road, Eltham immediately prior to the duplication between Pitt Street and Elsa Court through the shopping centre. Also shows a number of shops and businesses that operated at that time.

Plane

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Plane, Fine Round, Moulding type marked CB

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A black and white photograph of the Former Sunbury tip. There are puddles and rubbish strewn across the pathway and entrance. A wooden fence is visible on the RHS of the photograph and a post and wire fence is on the LHS.

Historical information

The Sunbury tip was located in Cornish Street behind the former pound and adjacent to the tennis courts, which were on the corner of Ligar and Cornish Streets. The photograph was taken beforte the swimming pool was constructed in Ligar Street. Riddell Road can be seen in the distance.

Photographs - First helicopter to arrive at Maroondah Hospital, about 1990-91

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital photos

Historical information

The first helicopter to arrive at Maroondah Hospital, Ringwood East, about 1990-91. It was used to take a child to the Children’s Hospital.

Photograph - Digital Image - Larundel. Block A

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

This photograph shows Block A at the old Larundel Hospital site. Some buildings on this site are heritage listed on the Victorian Heritage Database.

Annual Report - Australian Wool Corporation Annual Report 1983-84

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

Donated by Mr Leslie Rourke.

Captain's hat (cadets) 1950's

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Khaki wool cadet officer's hat with school badge and brown leather hat band. Leather hat band has leather buttons on each side and the band is double at the front.

Historical information

Worn by the officer ranks of the cadet's in the 1950's at Williamstown High School.