Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

111839 items with images

close

111839 items with images

Air Regulator

Queenscliffe Maritime Museum, Queenscliff

Air regulator demand valve as used in scuba diving in 1960's ?

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Association Cottages at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat, 2015

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Home cottages at Charles Anderson Grove.

drill

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A cast iron workshop drill. It has two spanner holes.

Historical information

Built by the Buffalo Forge Company in New York, USA. It is of a typical hand operated design used in workshops. This item was probably used in an engineering shop locally.

Inscriptions & Markings

On wheel at top - BUFFALO FORGE Co. and on frame BUFFALO N.Y.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Arch of Victory Souvenir Plate

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of a souvenir plate depicting the Ballarat Archof Victory.

Historical information

The plate was made exclusively for R. Tunbridge & Sons, Ballarat

Book, Knitting - Villawool Knitting Book no. 97

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

This knitting pattern book was published by the Villawood Textile Company, Sydney and contains knitting patterns for mens knitted garments. The photographs were taken on board the liner Orsova.

Inscriptions & Markings

BOOK 97 / MAN'S DESIGNS IN / 8 PLY EQUIVALENTS / BY / Villawool / 2'9

Newsletter Playbill Special Events - 1997 HTC General Memorabilia Fashion Parade Opera

Heidelberg Theatre Company Inc.., Rosanna

School Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough Primary School Gr2062 1963 Grade 4A

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Black and white photograph of school class

Historical information

Class photograph from Greensborough State School, 1963 Grade 4A

Photograph - Colour - Memorial to Francis Davis in the grounds of Federation University, SMB Campus, 2019

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A number of photographs of a tree and marble plaque in the grounds of the Ballarat School of Mines. It was a memorial to Francis Davis, a former student of the Ballarat Junior Technical School, who died on active service during World War One.

Historical information

Francis Gordon Davis was born in Ballarat on 09 August 1899. He is the only former student of the Ballarat Junior Technical School who was killed on service during World War One. Davis enlisted into the Australian Flying Corps, Laverton, on 12 April 1918 at which time he was 18 and 8 months and served as a second class Air Mechanic. His service number was 3310. He died accidentally from shock resulting from an accident resulting from skidding a Leyland Motor Lorry at Leighterton, Tetbury, Gloucester, England on 28 January 1919 and is buried in Grave 6 in the Soldiers Corner of the Leighterton Cemetery. Francis Davis was accorded a full military funeral, firing party, bugler and pallbearers. The coffin was draped in the Union Jack and surmounted in several beautiful wreathes sent from his brother 2/A.M. E.H. Davis (A.F.C Leighterton), officer of the A.F.C. Leighterton, Gloucester, Cadets of A.F.C. and many other personal friends of the deceased. The "Last Post" was sounded at the graveside, and the Rev. Major K.D. Norman C. of E. A.I.F. officiated. The grave was to be turfed and an oak cross erected by the A.I.F. London. Administrative Headquarters A.I.F. London were represented at the funeral. (http://bih/index.php/Francis_G._Davis) In June 1922 Alfred Davis, the father of Francis Davis, planted a tree in the grounds of the Ballarat Junior Technical School in honour of hos son. It was the first tree of six planted in the grounds of the Ballarat School of Mines on Arbor Day 1922. Speaking of the planting of the tree by Mr Davis the Chief Secretary (Mr M. Baird M.L.A.), said he trusted the memory would ever remain green at the school. Had he and others not given their lives nothing that we could have done to-day could have retrieved the time. Australians had indeed done splendidly, but they should take a wider outlook than Australia, and reading the history of the Genoa Conference he had been struck by what had been done ... We should honor such men as he in whose memory that tree was planted, and the schools that sent them out to fight for us. He hoped the empire would always be able to produce such men, so that the Empire would always be able to lead the World's struggle for the benefit of humanity. The last post was then sounded by Mr. H. Green. ... (Ballarat Courier, 19 June 1922)

Photographic print

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Black and white photograph of Mike Sangster in play. Place and date unknown. Materials: Paper, Photographic emulsion

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS OF CHRISTMAS PARTY AT RED LION HOTEL. 14/12/2000

Loom

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Inkle loom.

Historical information

Used by Ted Fairhurst, an Industrial Chemist from Bradford who came to Australia in 1951 for Bradford Dyers A. He later established the dyeing section for Davos Coop who made Exacto garments. Mrs Fairhurst (donor) made bookmarks, bell hangings and belts. Inkle weaving is for producing narrow braids.

1972 Ballarat Begonia Festival, Street Pageant, 1st Prize, Ballarat Nurses Association

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League, Ballarat

Certificate

Photograph - Digital Image - Ryan's butcher's Diamond Creek

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

The butcher's shop owned by the Ryan family in Diamond Creek, about 1945.

Mast Hoop

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Mast Hoop, ring metal with 2 nut & bolt holes, one bolt & nut missing. Diameter 545mm

1930s cotton feedsack dress - Blue cotton daisy print feedsack dress 1930s

Circa Vintage Archive,

Simple day dress constructed from feedsack cotton fabric: Short, puffed sleeves, small opening with slight V neck and pointed collar. Centre front fold with red plastic buttons - the originals were missing but these are period correct replacements that match the red plastic buckle. Two front pockets on the bodice shaped like flower pots. No openings, pops over your head. Self-covered belt has a different material underneath: a smaller blue and white floral print.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Photograph-B&W - Wantirna Road Shack next to Dandenong Creek on East Side of Wantirna Road (near the bridge).

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Wantirna Road Shack next to Dandenong Creek on East Side of Wantirna Road (near the bridge). Has been there many years - maybe 40 and it is still there (18.9.1989). (Note this is NOT part of Hill's dairy but was in the same series of photographs so kept together).

Inscriptions & Markings

A shack next to Dandenong Creek / East side of Wantirna Road / Has been there many years - maybe 40 / It is still there (18.9.89)

Photograph - Post Card

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White postcard of the Rocky coastline at San Remo

Historical information

One of a collection of Photographs donated by Steve Stefan, Archivist, St Frances Church, Melbourne

Inscriptions & Markings

"The Rose Series, P. 711" "The Rock-bound Coast, San Remo, Victoria"

School Certificate - Marcela Bole Gec Monastery School Tomaj School Certificate 1925

Slovenian Association Melbourne, Research

Marcela Bole Gec Monastery School Tomaj School Certificate from year 1925

MATTRESS COVER

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Woven, waterproof, green cover divided into 3 sections to hold individual blow up mattresses. Fitted with press studs to secure each mattress. The cover was also just used as a ground sheet minus the blow ups.

Historical information

Item issued to Peter BALL 3796117. Refer 2995.2 for Service History.

Inscriptions & Markings

Conlons Australia 1969 [up arrow] 7210 / 66 / 011 / 5818 Handwritten P C BALL

Racquet

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

A Spalding, "Pancho Gonzales" Signature Model tennis racquet, featuring whipping around shoulders, leather handle grip with quatrefoil perforations, and a white plastic butt cap. Manufacturer's name across base of head; model name across throat and along shaft. Black and white photo, head and neck decal image of Gonzales features on throat. Wreathed 'S' trademark features on lower shaft and butt cap. Materials: Wood, Metal, Lacquer, Glue, Ink, Nylon, Paint, Plastic, String, Adhesive tape, Leather, Fibre

Book - The Victorian Readers Sixth Book

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Victorian Readers Sixth Book by Education Dept Victoria Publisher Government Printer Melbourne

Plan - Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works : Borough of Kew : Detail Plan No.1572

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey). Plan No. 1572 represents the built environment bordered by Barkers Road, Wrixon Street, Edgevale Road and Fitzwilliam Street. Other streets identified on the plan include Stansell Street. Plan 1572 shows that by 1903-05, there was only patchy development in this area of Kew, mainly on Edgevale Road and Fitzwilliam Street. Only two named houses are identified: the quaintly named ‘Tweed Cottage’, and ‘Mendip’. The earliest reference to Treed Cottage in Australian newspapers is to the death of Walter Thompson, aged 74 who was a resident there in 1885. His youngest daughter was to die there in 1908. Mendip to the north of Tweed Cottage was owned by Henry Thompson; he was to die in 1901; his wife in 1932. At this period of time, Malin Street and Clivedon Court did not extend to Barkers Road.

Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria)

Significance

This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Book - The Medical Annual and Practitioners Index 1899

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Medical Annual and Practitioners Index 1899

Photograph - Walter Withers, c.1903-1914

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Historical information

Source: Mr. Hugh Fisher, Photographer, 6 York St., Eltham

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

CRUCIFIX

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Small brass crucifix, has small length of chain and string attached to top.

Historical information

The item belonged to Sgt Jack Grinton No 1043, 38th Batt AIF. Part of the Grinton collection which included hundreds of negatives and developed photos that he took during the War. Refer 1317P, 1320P.

Photograph - Rennard property, Karingal Drive, Briar Hill, 16 July 1993

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Fork

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Silver plated copper alloy table forks - entrèe, from the wreck of the Loch Ard. Some verdigris and silver oxide. Light encrustation on tines. Hallmark visible.

Historical information

HISTORY OF THE LOCH ARD The LOCH ARD belonged to the famous Loch Line which sailed many ships from England to Australia. Built in Glasgow by Barclay, Curdle and Co. in 1873, the LOCH ARD was a three-masted square rigged iron sailing ship. The ship measured 262ft 7" (79.87m) in length, 38ft (11.58m) in width, 23ft (7m) in depth and had a gross tonnage of 1693 tons. The LOCH ARD's main mast measured a massive 150ft (45.7m) in height. LOCH ARD made three trips to Australia and one trip to Calcutta before its final voyage. LOCH ARD left England on March 2, 1878, under the command of Captain Gibbs, a newly married, 29 year old. She was bound for Melbourne with a crew of 37, plus 17 passengers and a load of cargo. The general cargo reflected the affluence of Melbourne at the time. On board were straw hats, umbrella, perfumes, clay pipes, pianos, clocks, confectionary, linen and candles, as well as a heavier load of railway irons, cement, lead and copper. There were items included that intended for display in the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. The voyage to Port Phillip was long but uneventful. At 3am on June 1, 1878, Captain Gibbs was expecting to see land and the passengers were becoming excited as they prepared to view their new homeland in the early morning. But LOCH ARD was running into a fog which greatly reduced visibility. Captain Gibbs was becoming anxious as there was no sign of land or the Cape Otway lighthouse. At 4am the fog lifted. A man aloft announced that he could see breakers. The sheer cliffs of Victoria's west coast came into view, and Captain Gibbs realised that the ship was much closer to them than expected. He ordered as much sail to be set as time would permit and then attempted to steer the vessel out to sea. On coming head on into the wind, the ship lost momentum, the sails fell limp and LOCH ARD's bow swung back. Gibbs then ordered the anchors to be released in an attempt to hold its position. The anchors sank some 50 fathoms - but did not hold. By this time LOCH ARD was among the breakers and the tall cliffs of Mutton Bird Island rose behind the ship. Just half a mile from the coast, the ship's bow was suddenly pulled around by the anchor. The captain tried to tack out to sea, but the ship struck a reef at the base of Mutton Bird Island, near Port Campbell. Waves broke over the ship and the top deck was loosened from the hull. The masts and rigging came crashing down knocking passengers and crew overboard. When a lifeboat was finally launched, it crashed into the side of LOCH ARD and capsized. Tom Pearce, who had launched the boat, managed to cling to its overturned hull and shelter beneath it. He drifted out to sea and then on the flood tide came into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. He swam to shore, bruised and dazed, and found a cave in which to shelter. Some of the crew stayed below deck to shelter from the falling rigging but drowned when the ship slipped off the reef into deeper water. Eva Carmichael had raced onto deck to find out what was happening only to be confronted by towering cliffs looming above the stricken ship. In all the chaos, Captain Gibbs grabbed Eva and said, "If you are saved Eva, let my dear wife know that I died like a sailor". That was the last Eva Carmichael saw of the captain. She was swept off the ship by a huge wave. Eva saw Tom Pearce on a small rocky beach and yelled to attract his attention. He dived in and swam to the exhausted woman and dragged her to shore. He took her to the cave and broke open case of brandy which had washed up on the beach. He opened a bottle to revive the unconscious woman. A few hours later Tom scaled a cliff in search of help. He followed hoof prints and came by chance upon two men from nearby Glenample Station three and a half miles away. In a state of exhaustion, he told the men of the tragedy. Tom returned to the gorge while the two men rode back to the station to get help. By the time they reached LOCH ARD Gorge, it was cold and dark. The two shipwreck survivors were taken to Glenample Station to recover. Eva stayed at the station for six weeks before returning to Ireland, this time by steamship. In Melbourne, Tom Pearce received a hero's welcome. He was presented with the first gold medal of the Royal Humane Society of Victoria and a £1000 cheque from the Victorian Government. Concerts were performed to honour the young man's bravery and to raise money for those who lost family in the LOCH ARD disaster. Of the 54 crew members and passengers on board, only two survived: the apprentice, Tom Pearce and the young woman passenger, Eva Carmichael, who lost all of her family in the tragedy. Ten days after the LOCH ARD tragedy, salvage rights to the wreck were sold at auction for £2,120. Cargo valued at £3,000 was salvaged and placed on the beach, but most washed back into the sea when another storm developed. The wreck of LOCH ARD still lies at the base of Mutton Bird Island. Much of the cargo has now been salvaged and some was washed up into what is now known as LOCH ARD Gorge. Cargo and artefacts have also been illegally salvaged over many years before protective legislation was introduced. One of the most unlikely pieces of cargo to have survived the shipwreck was a Minton porcelain peacock - one of only seven in the world. The peacock was destined for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880. It had been well packed, which gave it adequate protection during the violent storm. Today, the Minton peacock can be seen at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum in Warrnambool. From Australia's most dramatic shipwreck it has now become Australia's shipwreck artefact and is one of very few 'objects' on the Victorian State Heritage Register most valuable.

Significance

The LOCH ARD shipwreck is of State significance – Victorian Heritage Register S 417 Flagstaff Hill’s collection of artefacts from LOCH ARD is significant for being one of the largest collections of artefacts from this shipwreck in Victoria. It is significant for its association with the shipwreck, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR S417). The collection is significant because of the relationship between the objects, as together they have a high potential to interpret the story of the LOCH ARD. The LOCH ARD collection is archaeologically significant as the remains of a large international passenger and cargo ship. The LOCH ARD collection is historically significant for representing aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes). The collection is also historically significant for its association with the LOCH ARD, which was one of the worst and best known shipwrecks in Victoria’s history.

Photograph Negative And Contact

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

large formal b/w negative and b/w contact print. fairyland, lake wendouree c1904.

Postcard: Blue Lake, Mount Gambier, South Australia

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Postcard depicting Blue Lake, Mount Gambier, South Australia

Radios

Arapiles Historical Society, Natimuk

House hold item,163.1- Phillips (brown & silver) 163.2- AWA Adiola(brown leather case) 163.3-Astor Wireless 1930's owned by Vic Whitfield

BBH Nurses during 1944 -1945

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League, Ballarat

Photo

Tin - Griffith's tea tin 7lb

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Squat square base Griffith's tea tin. The front has a label printed with a dark blue background and silver writing. A small label is affixed at the bottom. Remnants of a white stick-on label at the bottom. A round push-on lid with lip is on top. Full of pink dairy rubbers.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This tea tin is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.A16.1

Inscriptions & Markings

CHOICE TEA 7LB net/GRIFFITH'S BROS LTD/Tea, coffee, cocoa & General Merchants/MELBOURNE, SYDNEY, ADELAIDE & BRISBANE/ Trade mark 'SIGNAL' [includes sketch of signal tower]; EXTRA PEKOE FLAVOURD [label on base] Uebergang No.A16.1

Polio child wheelchair, Edward Wilson, ? Front of 8,9,10

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League, Ballarat

Photo

WTC Teaching Service regulations

Wangaratta High School, Wangaratta

Green folder with silver text reading WANGARATTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE containing document outlining the Victorian teaching service regulations

Inscriptions & Markings

TEACHING SERVICE REGULATIONS

Cannon Ball (Muzzle Loading Cannon)

Ballarat RSL Sub-Branch Inc., Invermay Park

Cast Iron 90m round

Statement of Account

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Part of a collection of commecial documents relating to Burkinshaw Bros, "Wareek", and Strachan, Murray & Shannon Pty Ltd, Geelong.

Historical information

Part of a collection of commecial documents relating to Burkinshaw Bros, "Wareek", and Strachan, Murray & Shannon Pty Ltd, Geelong, including correspondence and sales accounts.

Photograph - Watsonia High School WaHIGH 1983 Year 12

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 12

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 12

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Rob Kirwood (left) and Ted White (right) standing and writing in notebooks.

Historical information

Reverend Rob A. Kirwood was ordained in 1973 and was stationed at Smithton 1973-1975, Glenorchy 1976-1985, Synod Mission Officer 1985-1991, and Patrol Padre Frontier Services Centralian Patrol from 1991.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rob Kirwood & Ted White"

RSSAILA Event Programme collection - Festival of Empire and Remembrance 11 November 1944

Frankston RSL Sub Branch, Frankston

Printed paper booklet and three (3) paper poppy leaves

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover has printed Title information and brief description of the event. Sixteen pages contain a Royal photograph and detailed description of organisation and programme of activities and instructions. Six original signatures of decorated servicemen appear on the front cover

Photograph

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Black And White Photograph of the sailing ship Macquarie. 138 mm X 89 mm Sh 186.2 Ships M - R.

Bottle, glass.

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Hexagonal clear amber glass bottle, half full of clear liquid with cork stopper. Bottle has 3 plain sides, one with paper label attached, two sides with stippled 'x' pattern, one side with embossed text and numeral. Embossed logo on base.

Historical information

TROVE : The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Sat 26 Oct 1940, Page 14, SITUATIONS VACANT. Boy, messenger, good wages. F. H. R. Brady, A.M.C.A.L. chemist. 511 High-st.. E. Prahran.

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed text on side 'NOT TO BE TAKEN' and '4' near base. on base '4' AGM logo over 'M422M', over 'O'. paper label with indistinct text . Typewritten 'THE LINAMENT Use as directed before .........op.....7/.......'. Printed blue band, text and logo ' AMCAL' under Amcal logo. 'QUALITY & SERVICE'.

Binnacle

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Binnacle, wood with brass fittings, embossed, textured brass plate attached to front stating "JOHN LILLIE & SON LTD (WILSON & GILLIE), NAUTICAL INSTRUMENT MAKERS, NORTH SHIELDS" . Consists of 2 brass lamp holders, place for compass, clinometer with "JOHN LILLIE & SON LTD (Wilson & Gillie) LONDON & NORTH SHIELDS" and a scale 40 to 0 to 40, one red and one green iron compensating ball, one on each side of binnacle, a brass cylinder attached perpendicular at the rear for storing a Flinders Bar, 2 hinged cupboards containing adjustable wooden racks with drilled holes in them to hold iron Heeling error magnets

orange & Lemon juice Cordial

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Blue seal label has orange and a lemon on it Liquid seems to be still inside

Inscriptions & Markings

E.K Orange & Lemon Juice Cordial Manufactured by Eckersley & Sons Melbourne Net | Pint G FL. OZS This cordial contains no more than 2 grans of sulphur dioxide to the pint

Newspaper clipping - Ballarat East High School, Outstanding Swimmers

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Digital image - Loyola: garden view from tower 2012.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Loyola: garden view from tower 2012. Part of a collection of photographs of Loyola College, Grimshaw Street Watsonia, established 1980 on the site of the Loyola Seminary. The College purchased the original building in 2002. These photographs of the original building and grounds were taken by GHS member Jazz Burge in June 2012.

Postcards (framed) - Greensborough Historical Society Postcards. Series Two.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

6 black and white postcards in 2 black timber frames, under glass.

Historical information

Set of 6 postcards produced for sale by Greensborough Historical Society. Postcards Frame 1, top to bottom: Fallen Soldier's Memorial, Main Street 1923; Greensborough Park Tea Rooms 1920s;Greensborough Railway Station 1920s. Frame 2, top to bottom: Stubley Motors 1930s; Greensborough Township early 1900s; Main Street Greensborough 1956.

Book - Chopin

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

This small dark red, leather bound book has Chopin printed in gold on the front cover and on the spine along with two treble clefs. Opposite the title page is a plate with an 1847 drawn image of Frederic Chopin. There are several other plates within the book. The book is 65 pages long followed by 16 pages of other books in the same Bell's Miniature Series of Musicians.

Historical information

This book is part of a collection of books, photos and memorabilia donated from the Chatham-Holmes family collection. The book about Chopin was written by Ernest J Oldmeadow for the Bell's Miniature Series of Musicians.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front flyleaf - With loving birthday wishes from Emily 1908

Photograph - View of 'Willis Vale', Greensborough, 1906

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph copy originally located in a magnetic style album titled 'Greensborough Bypass 1990s 5' suffering significant degradation. No information contained in album or on reverse of photos except where noted. Relocated to archival photosafe storage.

Historical information

'Willis Vale' home of the Partington family is shown in this photograph as well as the area now known as Partington's Flat. The area was owned and farmed by the Partington family from the 1870s. Willis Vale was destroyed by fire in the 1960s

Book - The Theory and Practice of Heat Engines

Bay Steamers Maritime Museum, Docklands

Blue cloth hard cover book of 723 pages

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamp in purple ink "TECHNICAL BOOK MAGAZINE CO. / 257-299 Swanston St / OPP MELBOURNE HOSPITAL / CENT. 2041 MELBOURNE C.T."Hand written in pencil "32/6"Handwirtten in black ink "A C King / 14 Batman S / Footscray WII / or / Locker 764 Union House " handwriten in pencil "Burthen 136 189 / Coal 49 60 / 49/136 60/189 / 36 % 31.7%

Photograph - Colour - Cutty Sark Exhibition, Greenwich, England, the Star of India

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

The Cutty Sark was launched on 22 November 1869. She was named by the wife of George Moodie, the ship's first master who had also supervised her construction. Cutty Sark left the Clyde on 13 January 1870. A month and two days later, she set sail from London for China. Cutty sark was designed and built by Scott & Linton of Dumbarton for 16,150 pounds. But much of the money was to be paid by Willis when the ship was launched. Just before they finished her, Scott & Linton ran out of money and went bankrupt. She was completed by William Denny & Brothers. The Cutty Sark was the first ship to reach London with a tea cargo in 1877. But she was one of only nine sailing ships that returned that year - in 1870 there had been 59. Steamships were now dominating the tea trade. In 1883 the Cutty Sark joined the booming trade in transporting Australian wool. Every year until 1895 she set out in the summer for Australia, to load a cargo of wool bales and return to England in time for the wool sales ini the first three months of the new year. Cutty Sark soon established herself as the fastest of the wool clippers. Under her last master, Richard Woodget she set record times of 70 days or less for the voyage which no other sailing ships could match.