Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Talking Shop: Ballarat in Business and City Life at Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

27 Jun 2019

Curated By

Amy Tsilemanis, Curator, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute

114251 items with images

close

114251 items with images

Aboriginal grinding stone

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A large rock of generally oval shape and with a number of flatish surfaces and hole indentations which were identified by archaeologist Dr Joanna Freslov 2.6.2008 as being used by Aboriginal people as a grinding or tool-sharpening stone.

Historical information

This large and very heavy stone was donated by Albert Emphield. Where he found it is unknown, but he worked in the Orbost forest areas and lived at Cabbage Tree Creek.

Significance

Aboriginal usage, tool manufacture.

Aboriginal grinding stone (mortar).

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

Stone

Historical information

This grinding stone (mortar) was used by Aboriginal people to grind or crush different materials such as berries and seeds for food production. In order to grind material, a smaller upper stone (the pestle) would have been used to grind material against this lower stone (the mortar). The stone was found by a farmer on land south of Donald in the 1950’s and was used as a door stop in the family home for many years. In the 1990's the stone was used by the farmer's grandaughter at her home at Swanwater West, to hold the lid down on an above ground swimming pool skimmer box.

Aboriginal painting - Jack Wherra - Ancestral Spirit Dancers: Djumba

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Two Djumba figures, both male on black background. Ochres on Canvas.

Aboriginal painting - Paddy Jampin Jaminji - The Hills of Bedford Station

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Large painting on board of symbolic landscape. Brown, yellow, cream and white. Framed.

Historical information

In around 1924 a band of Gija people crossed fences onto their traditional land near Bedford Downs Station in the East Kimberley 2000 km northeast of Perth and killed nine head of cattle. This act precipitated one of the massacres to become known as the 'killing times'. Paddy Quilty, the station owner of Bedford Downs had his men collect wagon loads of firewood which was distributed around the camp. He then invited everyone to assemble for their rations. The food, laced with strychnine, was handed out. As the Gija people fell down dying in agony, they were shot. The firewood was used to burn the bodies. One boy escaped to the the story. Paddy Jamin Jaminji (c.1922-1997) painted The Hills of Bedford Downs Station as part of a series of painting about the Killing Times. It depicts the story and sites of the massacre. At least twelve killing sites are recorded within a radius of 150 km of Turkey Creek, WA. The painting was possibly discarded due to its damage in one corner and later collected from an old shelter at Warmun on a field trip by collector Neil McLeod in 1995.

Aboriginal painting - Rover Thomas Joomala - Mount House

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Mostly black surface with an area of white on the right side and a brown band near the top, lined with white dots. Work show the 'black soil country'. Ochres on Canvas.

Above the starry frame

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paperback book. Front cover: image of houses surrounded by fields; image of Irwin's Provincial Hotel with people and horses and carts; white and black lettering.

Historical information

Biography of William Irwin who migrated to Australia in 1850. He was a digger and a publican during the gold rush in Ballarat. He was publican at the Star Hotel, John O'groats Hotel and the Provincial Hotel. The Star Hotel was closely connected with the story of the Eureka Stockade. The book in part draws from family correspondence.

Significance

The book's author, Helen Townsend, is Irwin's great-granddaughter. Relevance to the history of Ballarat, gold mining and the Eureka Stockade. Biographical interest - William Irwin.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: title and author. Back cover: book synopsis; praise for the book by Tom Keneally.

Absence Register for Teachers - Boorhaman East State School No 3317

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Paper book, listing teacher absences from June 1926 through to August 1975. Includes teachers names, and reasons for absence. Handwritten front cover title

Historical information

School closed in 1970's

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting (Faces)

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Abstract Painting

Brimbank City Council, Sunshine

Abstract Painting

Academic Bonnet

Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History, Melbourne

Navy blue velvet cloth bonnet with stiffened brim covered in same fabric as bonnet. Around the hat is tied a gold cord with tassels.

Historical information

This academic bonnet belonged to Dr Mary Burnell. Mary Taylor Burnell was born on 21 February 1907, in Norwood, South Australia. She graduated with her MBBS in 1931. In 1932, Burnell served as a resident medical officer at Adelaide Children’s Hospital. By 1934 she was their Honorary Anaesthetist. It was also during this period that Burnell became the first female member of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. One year later, in 1935, she worked as Secretary for the South Australian Section of the Society. Although resigning from her position at the Children’s Hospital in 1937, Burnell returned in 1942. The outbreak of World War II meant hospital staff and resources were drained. During her work, Burnell lobbied for a Department of Anaesthetics in the Children’s Hospital. Through working at both hospitals, she became aware of the great differences between administering anaesthesia to children and administering it to adults. In 1953 she was elected President of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. She was the first female to be elected to this position. Two years later in 1955, Burnell was elected as a member of the Board of Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. In 1966 she was elected Dean of the Faculty of Anaesthetists. Again, she was the first female to be elected to this position. Burnell worked tirelessly to promote the importance of anaesthetics in Australia. Burnell’s contributions to anaesthetics were recognised with Honorary Fellowships to both the Australian Faculty of Anaesthetists and Royal College of Surgeons.

Acceptance card

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

accessories -bows

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

Two hand-made bows - accessories for a dress or blouse. 2483.14 is a yellow/gold colour made of satin or rayon. It is a bow with a long hanging tail. 2483.15 consists of 4 strips of green, red and black material gathered together with a safety pin.

Historical information

These bows would have been attached to either the front of a blouse or back of a long dress as an accessory to change an outfit or give it style. It was probably worn by Mrs Whiteman and passed on to her daughter Marjorie Burton.

Significance

This item is an example of a handcrafted item and reflects the handcraft skills of women in the first half of the twentieth century.

Accessory

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

'Tennis Ball Caddy'. Ball-holding bracket for wear during tennis play. Holds five balls and is intended to be worn around the waist. Materials: Cardboard, Ink, Plastic, Synthetic material, Paper

Accessory box for a No 6 Director Mk I

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Leather accessory box with shoulder strap and metal buckles. Flip open lid.

Historical information

Possibly related to the range-finding equipment sent from England for dismantling during the 1940s so University of Melbourne Physics staff could develop their own equipment. Related to object 463.1

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed in lid: 'CASE NO 6 DETECTOR MK 1 / COOKE, TROUGHTON & SIMMS, LTD / 9 / 22 / A.F.A' and broad arrow symbol.

Accessory Purse

Kyneton Museum, Kyneton

Small black pouch shaped drawstring purse Woven with ribbed effect and pink and green chevron stripes Metal ring gathers top and two metal rods and linked chain handles

Historical information

Collection item from Kyneton Museum

Accident outside Gears Chemist

Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

This photograph is from the Max Harris Collection held by the Ballaraat Mechanics' Institute. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Accordion

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Accordion made of black wood with silver painted anchors; the end of box has come away from the actual body, there are also six keys missing, the condition is poor. Name painted in silver on box "Fabrik Marke"

Accordion - Regal Melodeon Accordion

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Accordion; wooden frame with black leather bellows, maker's name Regal Melodeon, Made in Germany. Has pressed metal corners with pictures of a bugle with the word sport in the centre.

Accordion - Kalbe's Imperial Accordion

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Black and silver accordion The names "Victoria the Good" and "Edward VII" are printed above the brand name "Kalbe's Imperial, Gold Medal Melbourne". There are pictures of Edward VII and Queen Victoria on either side of the instrument.

Accordion - Meteor Accordion

Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, Korumburra

Black and silver box accordion Meteor Accordion, registered, made in Germany

Accordion

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Mezon Accordion manufactured for Lyons, Melbourne. Made in Saxony. Has nameplate on front "T H Betts". Accordion in wooden box with red interior. Two clips on front. Lock cover loose. Thin wire handle on top. Length 13½" x 7¼" x 12½"

Inscriptions & Markings

Has nameplate on front "T H Betts"

Accordion

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Black wood accordion Menzon Accordions inside lid. Black wood carry case with red lining. Instrument has Accordion Lyons Bourke St Melbourne, Made in Saxony

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A white paper account with black print and red lines. Hand-written from Lancelot Herbert of Snowy River Stores to R.P. Cameron.

Historical information

Lancelot Herbert came to Orbost in 1886, taking up a partnership with local store-owner George Temple. After Mr Temple’s death in 1891, Lancelot took over the store and progressively developed Herberts Snowy River Stores which grew into a department store of several shops along Nicholson St. He also had small shops at Cann River, Noorinbee and Genoa which were run by members of his family, as well as a carrying business and fuel outlets. Lancelot died on 2/6/1911 and his wife Martha [died 1945] are buried in a joint grave in Orbost Cemetery. (info. Noreen and Lindsay Thomson) Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.

Significance

This item is associated with a well-known Orbost business which started in 1888 and finally closed in c.1970. it is an example of book-keeping in the early 20th century and is a useful research tool.

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A large white paper account with black print and red lines from W.J. Mierisch, grocer and general merchant, to R. Cameron. There is a green duty stamp.

Historical information

Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.

Significance

This item is an example of the book-keeping of a n Orbost business in the early 20th century. It is a useful research tool.

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A large white paper account with black print and red lines from Feely & Co., saddlers and harness makers for R. Cameron.

Historical information

Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.

Significance

This item is an example of the book-keeping of an early 20th century business and is a useful research tool.

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A white paper account with red lines and black print. It is from J.S. Tomlinson, Newsagent and Stationer to Mr Cameron.

Significance

This item is an example of the book-keeping of an early 20th century Orbost business. It bis a useful research item.

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A white paper account with black print and red lines hand-written from J. Lamont, tailor and mercer to Mr R. Cameron. It has a yellow duty stamp.

Historical information

Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.

Significance

This item is an example of the book-keeping of an Orbost business in the early 20th century and is a useful research tool.

account

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A very stained shite paper account with black print and red lines from E. Swan, Orbost Tank Factory, to R. Cameron.

Historical information

E. Swan (of Bairnsdale) purchased the Orbost Tank Factory from Mr E. F. Reynolds. Swan was a tinsmith, coppersmith, plumber, zinc and iron worker who specialised in repairing tanks. Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.

Significance

This item is an example of the book-keeping of an Orbost business in the early 20th century and is a useful research tool.

Previous page