Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

146269 items

close

146269 items

Photograph

Hume City Civic Collection, Sunbury

A coloured photograph showing the spectators in the stands at The Ashes Cricket Match held at the Rupertswood Oval.

Historical information

In January 1994 a cricket match was staged at Rupertswood Oval between an Australian team and a visiting English team. The match was held to commemorate the staging of a cricket match which took place at Rupertswood in 1882 where a cricket bail was burnt.

Photograph - Black and White - Antonio Alphonsus (Tony) Pavich

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph of Tony Pavich in World War One Australian army uniform. He served with the 38th Battalion (transferred to the 7th Battalion on 16/09/2016) A.I.F., joining at Bendigo on 09 March 1916 aged 24 years. His mother, Mary Pavich of Yandoit, was listed as next of Kin. His father, Antonio Pavich, was born in Australia.(NAA: B2455, PAVICH ANTONIO ALPHONSUS

Historical information

Tony Pavich was a cousin of John Joseph Gervasoni. He was born near the town ot Timor. During World War One he was wonded in the field on 18 April 1918, and admitted to the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance with a gunshot wound to the left leg. He was discharged to duty on 22 April 1918. He was killed in Action on 11 August 1918., during the Battle of Amiens.

Inscriptions & Markings

Verso - "Tony Pavich cousin Yandoit (killed))

Photograph - Nankervis Bridge at Arthurs Creek

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph 20 x 29 cm mounted on green-painted chipboard 28 x 35.5 cm (string on back for hanging)

Historical information

One of a set of display images thought to be produced by the Shire of Eltham c.1979-1987

Significance

Illustrative of services provided by former Shire of Eltham

Inscriptions & Markings

Title printed on label adhered to board below photograph (replaced June 2017)

PHOTOGRAPH

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

Copy of original photo re Bertie HARWARD in uniform

Historical information

Bertie Harward No 3854 enlisted in the 12th reinforcements 5th Batt AIF on 20.7.15 age 19years 2 months. Embarked for Eygpt 23.11.15. Embarked for France 25.3.16. Hospital with Mumps 10.6.16. Hospital with PUO 17.5.18. WIA 22.8.18 GSW to scalp. Discharged from the AIF 16.4.19. Refer 340.

Aperture Card microfilm - Town Plan Chiltern

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

card with a single microfilm insert

Historical information

Town layout of Chiltern

Mug

Queen's College, Parkville

Mug with blue and white transfer print of John Wesley with text on two sides. It was made to commemorate the centenary of the Wesleyan Methodism, on October 28th 1839 and bears prints of John Wesley and the dates of his birth , death etc. It stands at 86 mm high and measures 115 mm in diameter including the handle .

Caulfield Grammar School

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

Photograph of Caulfield Grammar school second home, date unknown

Image

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

Black and white photograph, mounted on dark grey cardboard, showing lighting damage to the elevator at the Consul Mine

Inscriptions & Markings

Rubber stamp on back with details of photographer

Booklet - Woolmark scheme applicable to upholstery fabrics

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

Booklet entitled "Woolmark scheme applicable to upholstery fabrics".

Inscriptions & Markings

Curtains 5

Photograph

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

Acquired when "Classweave Industries" closed down.

Inscriptions & Markings

H L S POTTER/ PHOTO STORES/...

Can Opener

Lara RSL Sub Branch, Lara

Can Opener

Historical information

Used to open tins of food or drink for Australian Service personnel

Inscriptions & Markings

1965 TAREN D(arrow)D KF/7330/010/0031

Hawke : The Definitive Biography

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paper; book. Front cover: colour photo of Bob Hawke; yellow and black lettering.

Historical information

Biography of former Prime Minister and ACTU President, Bob Hawke. The book was published in 1979 before Hawke became Prime Minister of Australia.

Significance

Biographical relevance - Bob Hawke. Relevant to the history of the union movement and the Australian Labor Party.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: author's name and title.

Clothing

Nhill & District Historical Society Inc., Nhill

Scout belt

Box

Montmorency/Eltham RSL Sub Branch, Montmorency

Princess Mary 1914 Christmas Gift. Decorative brass gift box with Princess Mary's profile surrounded by a laurel wreath engraved in the the centre of the lid, with the letter M on both sides. The names of the allied nations are engraved in the corners and on the sides. A sword and scabbard decorate the top side. The lower side is decorated with battleships.

Historical information

In November 1914, an advertisement was placed in the British national press inviting monetary contributions to a 'Sailors and Soldiers Christmas Fund' which had been created by Princess Mary, the 17 year old daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. The purpose was to provide everyone wearing the King's uniform and serving overseas on Christmas Day with a 'gift from the nation'. The response was overwhelming, and it was decided to spend the money on an embossed brass box, based on a design by Messrs Adshead and Ramsay. The contents varied considerably; officers and men on active service afloat or at the front received a box containing a combinationof pipe, lighter, tobacco and 20 cigarettes and wrappers. Non smokers received a bullet pencil and a packet of sweets instead. Indian troops often got sweets and spices, and nurses were given chocolate.This box is on loan from the grandson of the soldier who it was given to.

Significance

This box is on loan from Terry Phillips. It belonged to his Grandfather who served at Gallipoli.

Inscriptions & Markings

At the top a decorative cartouche contains the words "Imperium Britannicum" and one on the lower edge contains the words "Christmas 1914". In small roundels on the corners appear the names "Belgium", "Japan", Montenegro" and "Servia". "France and "Russia" are written on the short sides.

Medal in white box - Corporal Percy Kiely

Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch, Wangaratta

T shape medal in silver metal with cream coloured ribbon with red and light blue strip

Historical information

The Tobruk Siege Medal known as the "T" medal was issued to Australian, British, Indian, New Zealand & Polish troops who were in action during the Siege of Tobruk between April & December 1941. The Tobruk Siege Medal is an unofficial award issued by the "Rats of Tobruk" Association in 1977. It is to be worn on the right breast, and not mounted with official or state / federal awards. Medal awarded to Corporal Percy Angus KIELY VX48300 of Upper Edi DOB 30/1/1906 DOD 25/4/44 Buried Albury - Enlisted Wangaratta and served with 2/23 Battalion.

Significance

limited edition unofficial service medal

Inscriptions & Markings

Tobruk Seige 1941

Card, Control Room, Ambulance Service

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Pale blue paper card with black printing on one side only.

Historical information

Control room cards; White cards were used for an immediate emergency response, and if the white card had a red corner it denoted "Accident". Blue cards were used to denote and record routine forward bookings such as patient transport requirements. The cards were used at the Latrobe street Ambulance Headquarters circa 1975.

Inscriptions & Markings

From To Car No.

Plate

Seaworks Maritime Discovery Centre, Williamstown

Ornamental pewter plate inscribed with English writing. Rim features a circle of several coats of arms of different localities including Malacca, Pahang, Selangor, featuring Malay language written in Arabic script (Jawi)

Inscriptions & Markings

"MISC/ In Commemoration of/ Bunga Terasek Maiden Voyage/ At Melbourne" "Sabah Maju Jaya/ Bersekutu Bertambah Mutu برسكوتو برتمبرموتو/ (perlis) فرليس / (Negeri Kedah) نكري قدح / Bersatu Dan Setia/ (Perak) نكري قيراق / Selangor/ (Negeri Sembilan) نكري سمبيلن / Bersatu Teguh / (Kepada Allah Berserah) كلنتن الله كمد برسر ه / Negeri Pahang ي ا ل ط ي ف / (Berserah Kepada Tuhan Kerajaan Kelantan) برسر ه كلنتن كمد توهن كراجان / (Terengganu) ترڠكن ا ن و / Bersatu, Berusaha, Berbakti/ Sabah Maju Jaya" On Reverse "Royal Selangor Pewter" "PMA 0317"

000126 - Photograph - Inverloch Ripple II - B Young

Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch

Fork

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Silver Dessert fork L 164mm. Hallmark on back - see photo.

Wrist Watch

RSL Waverley Sub Branch , Glen Waverley

Stainless steel watch on a hand crafted stainless steel bracelet Watch has a badly discoloured celluloid "Glass" Used by R.A.A.F. Oficer J. Beutler

Inscriptions & Markings

Angus and Coote Sydney

Book - Chicory industry

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Donor: Mrs. Archibald 18.8.1973.

Photograph - Digital image - Bundoora Primary School No.1915 (old building) 6

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Links: 02021.02022.02023.02024.02025.02026.02027 Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Bundoora Primary School No.1915 was constructed in 1877 of brick on a bluestone base with an iron roof and small porch. The school consisted of a single room with the dimensions 30 feet by 18 feet. It was a small rural school and in use for over 100 years. Today it sits abandoned at the intersection of Plenty Road and the Metropolitan Ring Road. The School has a Victorian Heritage Overlay (no H062) Photograph by Marilyn Smith 2014.

Sleeve Badge - Army Drivers Sleeve Badge - WW1

Lara RSL Sub Branch, Lara

Army Drivers Sleeve Badge - WW1

Wrench

Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc,

wrench, pipe 13" 15544

Historical information

This item is part of the Thomas Caine Tool Collection, owned by The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and curated by the Hand Tools Preservation Association of Australia.

Great Coat

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Great coat, 9 AMF buttons, 1 plain button. Pleat and belt at the back

Historical information

Australian Military Forces great coats were dyed burgandy and issued to Internees at Camp 3

Photograph - The old well, Gulf Station, Yarra Glen, 26 October 1986

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

[from EDHS Newsletter No. 51, November 1986:] RECENT ACTIVITIES: The associated events of the September meeting and the bus trip to Gulf Station and Toolangi proved quite successful. Caroline Phillips' talk and slides on Gulf Station were an excellent preparation for the trip. The bus trip was at a more leisurely pace than some we have done. There was adequate time to explore Gulf Station and its re-created old world garden. We also had time to visit the Coranderrk Aboriginal Cemetery at Healesville on the way to Toolangi. At Toolangi we were treated to an excellent guided tour of the "Singing Garden" of C.J. Dennis by Jan Williams, proprietor of the Arden Tea Rooms. As well as describing the various features of the gardens, Jan was able to introduce many anecdotes about the famous poet and his wife (who seemed to have a major responsibility for the creation of the gardens).

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of James Young Beale, St Helena Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

The grave of James Young Beale (died 06/07/1905), son of Anthony and Katherine Beale, St Helena Cemetery, Greensborough. This is a replacement headstone.

Significance

St Helena Cemetery was originally the burial place of the Beale family and friends. The first burials took place in the 1850s. There are now over 200 burials.

Kooyong Road Caulfield North

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

A sepia photograph of Kooyong Road (61 x 87mm) undated and unattributed. Accompanied by an undated, unattributed handrawn map of road (42mm x 87mm) and explanatory handwritten notes detailing what is depicted in the photograph. Map and handwritten, explanatory notes have been photocopied from the back of one sepia photograph.

PHOTOGRAPH, FRAMED

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

HMAS Doomba & crew. Tan wooden frame, glass front & paper backing. Sepia photo of mine sweeper with signatures of the crew around the edge, mounted on a green background.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ship's crew signatures around photo edge. Bathany stamp on backing.

WHS Student Workbook

Wangaratta High School, Wangaratta

Beige workbook with red binding used by Wendy Kneebone for Art

Perfume phial in case

Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives, Port Fairy

metal perfume holder with glass bottle

Historical information

not recorded

Document - Winniam Metrhodist Church - opening dedication 1964

Nhill & District Historical Society Inc., Nhill

Photograph

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Black and white photograph from Arnott Rogers Collection showing street scene

Model monument

Seaworks Maritime Discovery Centre, Williamstown

Miniature of a monument with three masted ship at top of long column and sailor saluting on lower pedestal with brass plaque featuring Russian inscription.

Historical information

gift

Inscriptions & Markings

"владивосток (Vladivostok)" Russian inscription on brass plaque under sailor "PMA 0174" tag associated: "PMA 0174/ Marble Russian Souvenir/ Port of Melbourne Authority/ 60"

BOOK - 'Kiss me goodnight, Sergeant Major'.

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

The songs and Ballads of World War II edited by Martin Page Intrdction by Spike Milligan. Yellow cover with orange border Cartoon (by Donald McGill) characters - sailor kissing sargeant - major on the cheek. soft over illustrated by Bill Tidy 192 PP

Inscriptions & Markings

inside front cover written in ink" Donated by H Brown IA Shelley St Spring Glly 3550."

Button - bakelite

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Small round black shank button featuring crown and eagle.

Historical information

Part of local ex RAAF WW2 servicemans memorabilia

Inscriptions & Markings

To - 283

000942 - Photograph - Reservoir and equipment - from Glenda Murray

Inverloch Historical Society, Inverloch

Photograph - Rev. Ron Albiston

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Informal B & W photo of the Rev. Ron Albiston. Albiston is standing, hands clasped behind back, smiling into the camera. He's dressed in a suit with clerical collar and waistcoat. The photo has been taken outdoors, possibly at a picnic.

Historical information

The Rev. Ronald W Albiston 28/9/1919–16/08/2006 was educated at Melbourne Boys' High School, the Victorian Congregational College and the University of Melbourne. From a young age he held positions within the local church, was secretary of the East Kew Congregational Church at the age of 16, as well as superintendent of the Sunday School from the age of 15. Ron was supported during his life and ministry by his wife of 63 years, Dorothy. He was ordained at Northcote Congregational Church on 21 December 1942. His ministry was exercised in Northcote/Clifton Hill (1942–45), Yarrawonga and associated district (1945–50), Ballarat Dawson Street and "Zion" Sebastopol (1950–68), and Rockdale Congregational, Sydney, later Uniting (1968–83). Due to ill health, Ron retired on the 30th of April 1983. He was President of the Australian Council of Churches from 1971 to 1973, President of the Congregational Union of NSW from 1973 to 1975. As a member of the Joint Planning Committee he was involved in the development of the Uniting Church and inaugural Chairperson. Following union, he was a member and later Chairman of the Board of Social Responsibility. He was instrumental in founding the Mayflower Village for the Aged, the Rockdale Community Aid Service, and helped form the St George Community Conference.The Rev. Ronald W Albiston 28/9/1919–16/08/2006 was educated at Melbourne Boys' High School, the Victorian Congregational College and the University of Melbourne. From a young age he held positions within the local church, was secretary of the East Kew Congregational Church at the age of 16, as well as superintendent of the Sunday School from the age of 15. Ron was supported during his life and ministry by his wife of 63 years, Dorothy. He was ordained at Northcote Congregational Church on 21 December 1942. His ministry was exercised in Northcote/Clifton Hill (1942–45), Yarrawonga and associated district (1945–50), Ballarat Dawson Street and "Zion" Sebastopol (1950–68), and Rockdale Congregational, Sydney, later Uniting (1968–83). Due to ill health, Ron retired on the 30th of April 1983. He was President of the Australian Council of Churches from 1971 to 1973, President of the Congregational Union of NSW from 1973 to 1975. As a member of the Joint Planning Committee he was involved in the development of the Uniting Church and inaugural Chairperson. Following union, he was a member and later Chairman of the Board of Social Responsibility. He was instrumental in founding the Mayflower Village for the Aged, the Rockdale Community Aid Service, and helped form the St George Community Conference.The Rev. Ronald W Albiston 28/9/1919–16/08/2006 was educated at Melbourne Boys' High School, the Victorian Congregational College and the University of Melbourne. From a young age he held positions within the local church, was secretary of the East Kew Congregational Church at the age of 16, as well as superintendent of the Sunday School from the age of 15. Ron was supported during his life and ministry by his wife of 63 years, Dorothy. He was ordained at Northcote Congregational Church on 21 December 1942. His ministry was exercised in Northcote/Clifton Hill (1942–45), Yarrawonga and associated district (1945–50), Ballarat Dawson Street and "Zion" Sebastopol (1950–68), and Rockdale Congregational, Sydney, later Uniting (1968–83). Due to ill health, Ron retired on the 30th of April 1983. He was President of the Australian Council of Churches from 1971 to 1973, President of the Congregational Union of NSW from 1973 to 1975. As a member of the Joint Planning Committee he was involved in the development of the Uniting Church and inaugural Chairperson. Following union, he was a member and later Chairman of the Board of Social Responsibility. He was instrumental in founding the Mayflower Village for the Aged, the Rockdale Community Aid Service, and helped form the St George Community Conference.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rev. Ron Albiston"

Booklet - Map Reading Aide-Memoire 1973

Lara RSL Sub Branch, Lara

A small rectangular booklet with cover and 26 pages

Historical information

Used by the Australian Army personnel to learn Map Reading

Significance

Used by the Australian Army personnel to learn map reading

Inscriptions & Markings

See images of front cover and rear cover

Framed photograph - “C” company 2/31 Battalion Australian Imperial Forces

Kyneton RSL Sub Branch, Kyneton

Historical information

Hand written notes accompany this photograph.

Inscriptions & Markings

Under the photograph are the names of all the Company members.

Hat

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Hat Sailor HMAS Cerberus

Printing Plate

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Printing plate with illustration of wool press manufactured by Humble and Sons.

Historical information

Printing block with illustration of wool press manufactured by Humble and Sons.

Caulfield Centenary celebrations Oct-Nov 1957

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

2 photographs of centenary ceremony at Caulfield Racecourse, Oct 1957

Photograph - copy - Presbyterian Church

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Black and white photograph of interior of Presbyterian Church, Tatura, 1930.

Historical information

Copy of photograph of interior of Presbyterian Church, Hogan Street, Tatura. 1930. Original loaned by A. Hampton.

Inscriptions & Markings

on back: Presbyterian Church 1930

Photograph - Hogan Street Tatura 1986

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Black and white photograph of Hogan Street, Tatura, looking east. 1986.

Historical information

Photograph of Hogan Street, Tatura, looking east on a busy day. Lots of cars about. Shops and businesses include banks, bakery, newsagent, video shop and hotel.

Inscriptions & Markings

on back: Hogan Street scape looking east. Tatura 1986

Plan - Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works : Borough of Kew : Detail Plan No.1585

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey). This plan, which covers parts of High Street, Pakington Street and Derby Street is dominated by two historic Kew mansions: ‘Konetta’ and ‘Ramornie’. Ramornie was constructed in 1890 for James Maitland Campbell, three times Mayor of Kew. Sold in 1940, it became a boarding house known as ‘The Towers’. Now a private residence again, it has only one of its three balconies remaining. The location of the missing two balconies can be seen on the plan. In 1903, the grounds of Ramornie included a large tennis court fronting Pakington Street. The rear of the property is shown as extending to Cobden Street. One of Kew’s oldest hotels, the Prospect Hill Hotel on the corner of High and Cobden Street was established in 1858. The outline of the hotel shown on the plan represents the second building on the site. During the 19th century it was often used for electoral meetings. The Prospect Hill Hotel was to be redeveloped again in 1928, by the local architect Robert McIntyre. Since the 1980s, the hotel has been a live music venue, the home of the Melbourne Jazz Club, a restaurant and a liquor outlet.

Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria)

Significance

This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Soldiers resting in camp

Magnet Galleries Melbourne Inc, Melbourne

photo

Photo

Diamond Valley Vietnam Veterans Sub Branch,

Photo, wooden framed.

Historical information

Photo: DViets Vietnam Veterans Day March, August 2002 - marching up Main Street, Greensborough.

Significance

Historical record showing marching members in 2002..

Inscriptions & Markings

Text in photo: DViets Vietnam Veterans Day March, August 2002

Booklet - Turkey Lolly Man

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Green soft covered booklet of 14 pages. It is a collection of poetry.

Inscriptions & Markings

To Keith fron the author Lionel Welsh 1/4/1954

Photograph - Post Card

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Colour postcard of people waiting on the Cowes Pier for the steamer. Cowes Jetty Shed and Isle of Wight Hotel in the background.

Historical information

One of 17 postcards donated by Olive Blamey

Inscriptions & Markings

"Waiting for the Steamer on the Pier at Cowes, Phillip Island." On back: Card sent from Fred at Everton Cowes to Mrs Blamey Ascot Vale.

Previous page