Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

141525 items

close

141525 items

Form 5C 1970

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Copy of black and white photograph of Williamstown High School form 5C of 1970.

Inscriptions & Markings

See image above

Shield RAN Queens Crown wood backing.

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

Metal RAN shield Queens Crown on wooden backing (oval)

Audio Tape - Hans Wettl (1)

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

1 Sony audio tapes in plastic cases. Marked Hans Wettl 1 .

Historical information

Hans Wettl was interviewed by Australian John Anderson about his experiences in Murchison POW Camp 13. Hans died 3 months after the interview. Recordings have been transferred to DVD. 2 parts. (C2143).

Shield Navy Plaque

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

Wooden backed plaque with a plaster ships emblem HMAS Melbourne

Inscriptions & Markings

VIRES ACQUIRIT EUNDO

Form 1C 1960

Williamstown High School , Williamstown

Black and white photograph of Williamstown High School form 1C of 1960.

Inscriptions & Markings

See image above

Newspaper clippings

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Blue back and side A4 folder with clear front containing plastic sleeves which house newspaper clippings as listed below.

Historical information

Sleeves contain: "Aboard the Hell Ship Dunera to Sydney" 8/9/1979; "Dunera Remembers"; The Day Hitlers Choirboys were Trapped in Australia" August 1964; a printed prayer and a hand typed copy. These clipping belonged to Wilhelm Eckels who was a wool buyer in Sydney when war broke out. He was interned in camp 1.

Untitled

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

Book - Under Suspicion

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Olive green soft cover book with picture of Masuko Murakami on the cover. Pink and white text

Historical information

Citizenship and Internment in Australia during the WW2. Two copies (C8301)

Book - Martin Arrowsmith

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Martin Arrowsmith Author: Sinclair Lewis Publisher: Jonathan Cape Date: 1930

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT FIC LEW Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library

Record of Conduct and Service (Albert George Robinson)

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police Service: Joined 22/06/1910; Granted leave of absence 19/01/1915; Resumed duties 10/11/1919; Retired 14/10/1946 WW1 service: Enlisted 11 May 1916; Highest rank: Private; Regiment: 7th Battalion; Fate: Returned to Australia 13 July 1919; Medals: 1914-1915 Star; British War and Victory medals

Fur

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Black and grey fur cape with paw attachments, and brown satin lining.

Historical information

Worn by Mrs. Ellen Cornell

Fur

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

French rabbit fur capelet. Fawn dyed and stripped. With black satin lining.

Historical information

Owned by Mrs. Ellen Cornell.

Bag

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Black beaded handbag with beaded handle. Red floral design on bag. Has grey satin lining.

Historical information

Used by Mrs. W. T. Sebire

Hat

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Black look alike straw hat with black veiling and blue flowers.

Historical information

This hat was worn by Mrs. Ellen Cornell on the occasion of her 100th birthday.

Shawl

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Mushroom sheer silk shawl with candlewick motifs in various colours/

Dress

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Black two piece satin ensemble - Tea gown. Long skirt with short fitted style jacket, with black lace trim on skirt and bodice.

Historical information

A tea gown or tea-gown is a woman's dress for informal entertaining at home. These dresses, which became popular around the mid-19th century, are characterized by unstructured lines and light fabrics. Belonged to Louisa Hoadley - daughter of Abel Hoadley (Donald's mother).

Trophy

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Silver plated trophy with a lid and decorative arms on brown bakelite pedestal. The trophy is in Art Deco style.

Historical information

Road races have always been very popular with cyclists from the 1920s onwards.

Significance

This trophy highlights the significance of this Road Race to the Club.

Inscriptions & Markings

Deans Marsh/2-3-40/2 Miles Race/Won by/O. Phipps/

Trophy

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Trophy depicting a woman cyclist in a silver/gold colour on top of two small wooden pedestals. There is a 04 outline representing the year 2004 on the base pedestal and an inscription in gold on the front of the base.

Historical information

Awards such as this trophy were presented at all important race meetings.

Significance

This award highlights the significance of the presence of women in cycling and to the Club during this period.

Inscriptions & Markings

Geelong West Cycling Club/2004/Women's Aggregate/Natalie Clark.

Book - The Australian Light Horse

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard covered book, 105 pages

Historical information

Scope - 1818 to 1960

Inscriptions & Markings

Cancelled stamp of previous owner - B Sqn, 3 Cav Regt

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.24. Diamond Creek, Grassy Flat Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.24. Diamond Creek, Grassy Flat Road. Parish of Nillumbik 3310. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Everleigh Drive, Broad Gully Road and Clyde Street. Features include the Diamond Creek, Nillumbik Park and Diamond Creek Reservoir.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.25. Yarrambat, Black Gully Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.25. Yarrambat, Black Gully Road. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Black Gully Road, Ironbark Road and Murray Road.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.26. Yarrambat, Hacketts Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.26. Yarrambat, Hacketts Road. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Black Gully Road, Hacketts Road and Collins Lane. Features include Scrubby Creek.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.27. Yarrambat, De Fredricks Lane.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.27. Yarrambat, De Fredricks Lane. Parish of Greensborough 2724. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: De Fredricks Lane, Astons Road and Bannons Lane. Features include Scrubby Creek.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.24. Plenty.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.24. Plenty. Parishes of Nillumbik 3310 and Morang 3183. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Heard Road, Hillmartin Road and Yan Yean Road. Features include Plenty Primary School and Plenty Park.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.25. Plenty, Heard Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.25. Plenty, Heard Road. Parishes of Greensborough 2724, Nillumbik 3310 and Morang 3183. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Heard Road, Seymour Drive and Yan Yean Road.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 13.27. Morang wetlands.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 13.27. Morang wetlands. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Features include the Plenty River and SEC Transmission Line easement.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 13.28. Mernda, Wilton Vale.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 13.28. Mernda, Wilton Vale. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets: Wilton Vale Road. Features include Yan Yean Pipe Track and SEC Transmission Lines. The abandoned rail line (old Whittlesea line) is in the top left corner.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.20. Montmorency, Sherbourne Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.20. Montmorency, Sherbourne Road. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257 and Eltham 238. Prominent streets: Sherbourne Road, Karingal Drive and Calrossie Avenue. Features include Montmorency Station and Meruka Park.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.21. St Helena, Weidlich Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.21. St Helena, Weidlich Road. Parish of Nillumbik 3310. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets St Helena Road, Weidlich Road, Karingal Drive and Progress Road. Features include the Blair Reserve.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.22. St Helena, St Katherine's Church.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.22. St Helena, St Katherine's Church. Parish of Nillumbik 3310. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets St Helena Road, Weidlich Road, Yan Yean Road and Allumba Drive. Features include St Katherine's Church of England and the St Helena Secondary College site.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.23. Diamond Creek, Sutherland Homes.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.23. Diamond Creek, Sutherland Homes. Parish of Morang 3183 and Nillumbik 3310. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets Aqueduct Road, Diamond Creek Road, Yan Yean Road and McLaughlans Lane. Features include the abandoned Maroondah aqueduct and Sutherland Cottages.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 13.23. Plenty, Middle Gorge.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 13-23. Plenty / Middle Gorge. Parish of Morang 3183. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: Gorge Road, Kurrak Road and Browns Lane. Features include the Plenty River and Plenty Gorge Park.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 13.26. Yarrambat, Worns Lane.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 13.26. Yarrambat, Worns Lane. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: Worns Road, North Oatlands Road and Licola Street. Features include Plenty River.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 13.24. Plenty, Memorial Drive.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 13-24. Plenty, Memorial Drive. Parish of Morang 3183. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: Oatland Road, River Avenue and Memorial Drive. Includes Plenty River and SEC Transmission easement.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 16.26. Diamond Creek, Broadgully Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 16.26. Diamond Creek, Broad Gully Road. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Eltham 238. Prominent streets include: Wadeson Road, Broad Gully Road and Glenhaven Road. Features include the Diamond Creek.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.27. Yarrambat, Yan Yean Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.26. Yarrambat, Yan Yean Road. Parishes of Morang 3183 and Greensborough 2724. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Yan Yean Road, North Oatlands Road and Pioneer Road. Features include Yarrambat War Memorial Reserve.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.27. Yarrambat, Youngs Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.27. Yarrambat, Youngs Road. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: Youngs Road, Ashley Road and Yan Yean Road.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 14.28. Yarrambat Park.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 14.28. Yarrambat Park. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Whittlesea 239. Prominent streets include: Bannons Road and Yan Yean Road. Features include the Plenty River.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.20. Eltham.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.20. Eltham. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Eltham 238. Prominent streets include: Main Road, Henry Street and Livingstone. Features include the Eltham Station, Catholic Ladies' College, Judge Book Memorial Village and Eltham Central Park.

Photograph of Mr. Adde Andress Matiess COOPER in uniform, WW1 Soldier and Military Medal recipient

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Black and white photograph of WW1 Soldier in uniform, being Adde Cooper Service Number 5002, Chiltern Resident.

Historical information

Mr. Adde Andress Matiess John COOPER was a WW1 soldier from Chiltern and served with the 21st Battalion. He enlisted in 1916 at 21 years of age. He had previous experience pre WW1 in the local based Militia Unit at Chiltern. He was awarded the Military Medal for Bravery in the Field whilst in France on the 3/4/1917. He was wounded in France with a gun shot wound to the upper left arm. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Cooper. He then went on to serve after WW1 with the local based Militia unit (44BN) and was appointed as the Officer in Charge at the rank of Captain. His employment prior to WW1 was that of a Sleeper Cutter for the railway.

Inscriptions & Markings

attached to the back of the photograph is a piece of paper with the description - Mr. Adde Cooper 1st World War Later Captain Chiltern Branch Victorian Defence Corps.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.21. Eltham North.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.21. Eltham North. Parish of Nillumbik 3310. Municipalities of Diamond Valley 257 and Eltham 238. Prominent streets include: Progress Road, Glen Park Road and Zig Zag Road. Features include the Diamond Creek, Eltham Council Pound and Eltham North Reserve.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.22. Eltham North. Allendale Road.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.22. Eltham North, Allendale Road. Parish of Nillumbik. Municipalities of Eltham 238 and Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Allendale Road, Godber Road and Ryans Road. Features include the Diamond Creek.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 15.23. Diamond Creek Reserve.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 15.23. Hurstbridge. Municipality of Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Challenger Street, James Cook Drive and Ryans Road / Main Street. Features include the Diamond Creek and Diamond Creek Reserve.

Brass Pencil Case and Pencil Miniature

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Brass Pencil Case with slide out pencil, miniature.

Historical information

For issue to WW1 soldiers both abroad and back in Australia on leave.

Significance

Issued to Australian troops both overseas and on leave from 1916 on for the duration of WW1.

Inscriptions & Markings

AUST COMFORTS FUND is etched onto the external face of the pencil case

Glass jar and wood stand with a collection of sand from the WW1 Battlefield at Beersheba. Titled "The Sands of Beersheba".

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Glass Jar and wooden stand titled "Sands of Beersheba". Jar contains sand from Beersheba WW1 Battlefield as a memento and was collected in April 2008.

Historical information

Linked to the location known as the last great cavalry charge, being Beersheba (Ottoman Empire) 1917, which the 4th Light horse Regiment (AIF) undertook on 31/10/1917. The sand has been obtained from the Battlefield that the Charge occurred on.

Significance

Collected from the site of the Last Great Charge - The Charge of the 4th Light Horse Brigade at Beersheba on the 31/10/1917.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Sands of Beersheba" label accompanying the stand and glass jar containing the sand. Label reads as follows: Sands of Beersheba Collected from WW1 Battlefield April 2008 4/19 Prince of Wales Light Horse.

Ammunition Bandolier Belt WW1

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Leather and tin cartridge case ammunition bandolier belt Broad Arrow for Lighthorse ammunition.

Historical information

Belonged to Martin Balsarini, a Chiltern Valley resident and an Australian Imperial Forces WW1 soldier with the 4th Lighthorse. He participated in the Charge of the Lighthorse at Beersheba on the 31/10/1917.

Significance

This belt belonged to Martin Balsarini, WW1 soldier and Chiltern resident. He was with the 4th Lighthorse Brigade when they participated in the Charge at Beersheba on 31/10/1917 and now referred to as the last great cavalry charge.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 16.27. Hurstbridge.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 16.27. Hurstbridge. Parish of Greensborough 2724. Municipalities of Whittlesea 239 and Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Haleys Gully Road, Kendalls Lane and Bingley Avenue.

Map - MMBW, Yarra 2500 / 16.28. East of Hurstbridge.

Greensborough Historical Society, Lower Plenty

MMBW Map in 1:2500 [scale] series. Cream parchment with green tape reinforcing on edges and punched holes on left edge.

Historical information

Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. Yarra 2500 [base map] 16.28. East of Hurstbridge. Municipalities of Whittlesea 239, Eltham 238 and Diamond Valley 257. Prominent streets include: Boyds Road, Bannons Lane and Wattle Tree Road.

Revolver (Luger) Case

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Brown Leather Luger Revolver Case for attachment to belts webbing WW1.

Historical information

Owned by Martin Balsarini, a resident of Chiltern Valley, for use in WW1. Service Number 1682. Martin Balsarini enlisted on the 21/7/1915 and served with the 4th Australian Lighthorse, AIF. He participated in what is known as the last great cavalry charge, the charge of the 4th Australian Lighthorse at Beersheba on the 31/10/1917.

Significance

WW1 owned by Chiltern Valley Resident Soldier Martin Balsarini who was in the Charge of the Lighthorse at Beersheba with the 4th Australian Lighthorse on the 31/10/1917.

Inscriptions & Markings

1. Etched into the inside leather cover : J. A. Stanien... 1917 Berlin. 2. Stamped into the inside leather case black ink in Black Markings : B.A.X1

Brass Tin

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

Brass tin type container, containing a pack of cigarettes and tobacco

Significance

WW1

Inscriptions & Markings

Lid has etchings : Imperium Britannicum Christmas 1914, left side France, right side Russia. Cameo with a laurel wreath depicting Princess Mary. Cigarettes and tobacco packets printed with "Her Royal Highness The Princess Mary's Christmas Fund 1914.

Previous page