From
Close

Victorian Collections -

The McIntyre Family

8 Sep 2017

The McIntyre brothers came home from World War I and with them they brought stories and objects that reflect their experiences during the war.

Curated By

Abbey Martin, Year 11, Academy of Mary Immaculate, Fitzroy

97136 items

close

97136 items

1

Polish Museum & Archives in Australia, Footscray

5055 - Letter Book - Shire of Rodney

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Green cloth cover, red label, black label, gold lettering on spine. White paper label on spine.

Historical information

Book used to record requests for extra petrol rations, during WW2. 13 December 1941 - 3 July, 1944.

1858/01/01 - 1859/01/01 Patient Admissions - in Sovereign Remedies

Ballarat Base Hospital Trained Nurses League,

Photo

6891.06

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Fishing rod kit with three rod handles and two ends, stored in brown fabric bag (2 compartments and tape fastening). Part of the W.R. Angus Collection. (1) Cork rod handle with wooden rod, plus wooden rod end. (2) wooden rod handle with 'crocodile skin' pattern carved into handle. (3) wooden handle with yellow plastic rod and reel, and yyellow plastic rod end. Reel is Junior Capstan 14, Made in Australia.

Historical information

This fishing rod kit was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) According to Berry, her mother Gladys made a lot of their clothes. She was very talented and did some lovely embroidery including lingerie for her trousseau and beautifully handmade baby clothes. Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . Its first station was in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital (a 2 bed ward at the Nelson Street Practice) from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what previously once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr Tom and his brother had worked as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He had been House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan had gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. When Dr Angus took up practice in the Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan’s old premises he obtained their extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926. A large part of this collection is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. and an ALDI sore is on the land that was once their tennis court). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served with the Australian Department of Defence as a Surgeon Captain during WWII 1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. He had an interest in people and the community They were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reel is imprinted “JUNIOR / CAPSTAN / 14 / MADE IN AUSTRALIA”.

5080 - The River Murray

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Map of Murray River and districts on front cover. 4 river scenes in square boxes. Gold disc, paddle steamer, names of 3 states. Early scenes n back cover. 1 present day.

Historical information

Written to record history of River Murray from aboriginal times, early settlers, riverboats, maps, irrigation, agriculture.

AABC Badges

Geelong RSL Sub Branch,

Oblong timber framed Badges of the Australian Army Band Corps. One x Rising Sun Hat Badge One x AABC Hat Badge Two x AABC Collar Badges Two x AABC Epaulette Badges

Historical information

The Badges are those worn by the Australian Army Band Corps. The AABC was formed on 02 August 1968. AABC Musicians arfe also required to qualify in soldering skills eg - Admin, Drivers.

Significance

The badges are originals and have been framed in a wooden frame.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Abacus

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Abacus or counting frame-wood frame with plain wood beads

Abacus

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Wood & metal abacus with wooden base, sides & beads (100), & metal rails. Wood painted red & black.

Historical information

Camp 3 was one of the Tatura Group of civilian & prisoner of war internment camps during World War 2. Camp 3 was a civilian 'family' camp. The abacus was made by a German internee, for his son in the camp. It was made from scrap materials found in and around the camp & the beads & other wooden parts of the abacus were turned on a lathe also constructed by the internees.

Abacus

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Wooden rectangular abacus with 13 rods. Each rod is divided by a wooden bar. On top part of the rod are 2 wooden discs, on the bottom part are 5 wooden discs. For operation details see Cat. no 87

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: “Betty Laby”

Abacus Counting Frame

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

Rectangular wooden frame with 13 spindles, 2 rounded counting buttons on each spindle on the top section and 5 on each of the bottom section. Wooden frame slots into place with grooves cut out of the corners for joining together.

Abacus Toy

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Wooden abacus - miniature

Abacus, Wooden

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Wood & metal abacus with wooden base, sides & beads (100), & metal rails. Wood painted red & black. Beads & some other wooden parts of abacus have been turned on wood lathe, also constructed by internee Rudolf Auer in Camp 3 for his son Peter.

Historical information

Made in camp 3 by Rudolf Auer for his son, Peter. Their daughter/sister, Liesselotte (Liz) donated the item to the museum. The Auers were internees from Palestine.

Abdominal Surgical Sucker

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Used to suck fluid from abdomen. In sealed sterile bag - 2 metal instruments. 1. long thick nail with 9 little holes in 6 rows along the length. Other end is knob with lines embossed around it. 2. Long rod with cap on which the other side of is a bent rod with 3 'beads' at the end. This rod has a hole at the other end.

Historical information

This medical instrument was used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was built in the 1950s specifically for the increase in population due to the Kiewa Hydro Scheme.

Significance

Historical: Shows the development of scientific hospital equipment. Provenance: Used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was remote and therefore required good equipment.

A Beckett Family

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

4 documents which have references to the a’Beckett family., Photocopied extract from Burke’s Colonial Gentry Vol 1 1891 on the name a’Beckett, William Arthur Callander, Handwritten research on various a’Beckett family tree members taken from Burke’s Colonial Gentry etc, includes rate details of home in Alma Street, Leaflet on The Briars Mornington giving history on family and the Napoleonic collection of furniture, Photocopied article on a’Beckett name taken from ‘Sand, Swamp and Heath by Peter R Murray and John C Wells 1980. This paragraph gives the connection to Emma Minna a’Beckett who married Arthur Boyd. Boyd’s father owner Glenfern on the corner of Hotham and Inkerman Street. This is the beginning of the artistic Boyd family in Murrumbeena

a'Beckett Street, 11, East St Kilda

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

Print of a Google map of 11 a’Becket Street, East St Kilda downloaded & printed on November 26, 2010 by Sud Abbas (role unknown). Detail shows that the address is now a car park

a'Beckett Street, 11, East St Kilda

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

A hand drawn site and floor plan of a building subdivided into 3 flats at 11 a'Beckett Street, East St Kilda; undated but prior to November 2010 by person unknown

'A bit of a rebel' : the life and work of George Arnold Wood

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paper; book. Front cover: orange background; black and white caricature of George Arnold Wood on the front; black text.

Historical information

George Arnold Wood (1865-1928) was an historian who founded the Australian Anti-War League in 1902 with W.A. Holman and others. He also co-founded the Teachers' Guild of NSW.

Significance

Biographical. Significant to the history of the Boer War, Teachers' Guild of NSW and Wood's research into Australian history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: author's name and title.

A black and white copy of a photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A copy of a black and white photograph of Hugh Price and Captain George Makins in the wheelhouse of the P.S Marion.

Historical information

During the Second World War the P.S Marion operated as a passenger vehicle up and down the Murray River.

Significance

This is a photograph showing Hugh Price steering the P.S. Marion while the Captain looks on! This photograph is linked to P000067, P000065 as they are all part of the Hugh Price Family collection.

Inscriptions & Markings

In pencil, written on the back is Price / Oct 43 / Capt. Geo Makins, (in cap) & Hugh Price.

A black and white photograph of a drawing. - Black and white photograph of a drawing depicting the construction of the iron Murray Bridge, at Echuca, showing Surveyor, bridge workers, hoists, a crane, and much activity.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of a drawing, depicting the construction of the iron Murray Bridge at Echuca, showing the Surveyor, the bridge workers, hoists , a crane, and much activity.

Historical information

Original negative and photograph held by The Age, before by Orm Cook, Echuca. Photo is of a drawing of Bridge work taking place in 1877, across Murray River at Echuca. Orm Cook gave The Age the photograph in 1981 as the round arches on the bridge were about to be removed.

Significance

A bridge crossing of the Murray River was needed by 1877. It linked Echuca and Moama in a more tangible way. The bridge was funded privately and public use of it was discussed for the next several years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pen on the back, "Murray Bridge at Echuca under construction. Original to 'Age' came from Orm Cook. Also the numbers 6530 written in pen. Also on the back is a rectangular stamp with these words inside the rectangle. "COPYRIGHT. This photograph may not be reproduced without permission in writing from the Editor of "The Age" 250 Spencer Street, Melbourne, and 39/41 York St, Sydney.

A black and white photograph. - The Bridge Hotel, in 1896, showing Silky Oak trees.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the Bridge Hotel taken from the Hopwood Gardens. The photograph shows four silky oak trees growing along the front of the building. There is an empty flag pole outside the front of the building. The right wing advertises billiards, whilst the left wing apparently was a bar.

Historical information

The Bridge Hotel was built by Henry Hopwood to house visitors to the town crossing the Murray River on his punt crossing, which was situated just below the Bridge Hotel on the Murray River. The accommodation was spacious and grand! In the right back corner of the photograph, the 'lantern' roof of the St Georges Hall can be seen. The street is level with the front entrance to the Hotel, which is very different to what it is today.

Significance

The photograph shows hotel activities and accommodation in the late 19th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the building can be seen the words; HOTEL and BILLIARDS. Written in pen on the back of the photograph are the words "Bridge Hotel. Probably 1896, showing Silky Oak trees.

A black and white photograph of three men working on a lock.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of three men working on a lock somewhere on the Murray River in South Australia. The device they are using is called a lock capstan.

Historical information

This photograph shows three men opening a lock, manually using a lock capstan. The men are fit and strong. The river behind them appears to be very high. Not sure what the era is, but is obviously before looks were mechanised. The devise they are using is called a lock capstan.

Significance

This photograph shows how locks were manually opened to allow river transport to proceed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the back in lead pencil Price. Opening up lock -probably Lock 7, Renmark. Maybe Euston.

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A copy of a black and white rectangular photograph of a lock being constructed . The river is in the foreground and in the background, cranes and rigs can be seen. A wooden wall dominates the centre of the photograph. Houses and buildings can be seen in the distance.

Historical information

This is a copy of a photograph from the Price Collection. The river and town are unknown. The photograph shows how locks were constructed using long vertical planks to form a wall. One of the cranes is floating on a pontoon.

Significance

This shows how the river was locked to develop the irrigation industry in the early 20th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

In pencil on the back is written; 'Price / Lock construction? 'Jenkins Print Mildura.'

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S Canberra, P.S Emmylou and the P.S Pride of the Murray travelling upstream with passengers, at Echuca.

Historical information

The Emmylou was newly built and in business carrying passengers. In 1984 the P.S Canberra and the P.S Pride of the Murray were all in business running paddle steamer cruises.

Significance

This photograph was taken in 1984, in the early days of Tourism in the Echuca Moama region. It also shows the newly constructed P.S Emmylou named after the U.S singer Emmylou Harris. It also shows two simple 'houseboats' tied to the far bank of the river. Also an early indication of the houseboat industry.

Inscriptions & Markings

The words, Pride of the Murray, Emmylou and Canberra can be seen written on the paddle steamers in the photograph.

A black and white photographic postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photographic postcard showing the Campaspe river, Echuca, in flood, with a man rowing a racing scull.

Historical information

Photographic Postcards were very popular in the early 20th century and this shows the Campaspe river, Echuca in flood. The high water mark is exemplified by having the rower on the water. The water has inundated the surrounding bush with trees partly submerged along the right hand side of the photograph.

Significance

Rowing clubs were popular in towns along the Murray river and this picturesque scene of the Campaspe river , Echuca in flood shows a man rowing a racing scull down the river.

Inscriptions & Markings

On face : "Campaspe River, Echuca". On reverse: printed in ink :" Post Card. This space may be used for correspondence. For address only. Place penny stamp here." In pencil is written: "Aug Sep Oct 1906 Flood" "Donation H V Evans 85 Fullers Rd Chatswood NSW." " Echuca Regional Library" is stamped but has been crossed out in pen.

A black and white photographic postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photographic postcard of a woman dressed in a vibrant floral dress with string of pearls and another longer necklace. She has a brooch attached to her blouse. She has cropped straight hair and is wearing circular metal framed spectacles.

Historical information

John Trestrail Freeman was an engineer who in 1889, with a partner named Olsen, established Freeman's Border Foundry in Murray Esplanade, Echuca. The Foundry later became known as Freeman Brothers when sons Harry and Tres took over the business. This business played an important part in shipbuilding in Echuca, fitting engines, building paddlewheels and carrying out repairs. It is thought this photograph is of Tres' mother or it could be his wife (Dolly Dean).

Significance

The Freeman family is an important family in the history of Echuca boat building and engineering in the early 20th century. The business produced paddlewheels, fitted engines and conducted repairs on riverboats in the area. After the riverboats ceased the foundry went into engineering works producing agricultural implements and other general foundry works. It is thought that this photograph is of Tres junior's mother but the dates of the photograph would indicate it is more likely to be his wife, Dolly.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse: Printed "Post card/ Correspondence/ address only/Kodak Austral". Handwritten in pencil:" Member of Freeman family. Tres' mother?

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white rectangular photograph of two boys standing on a suspension bridge over a small river and surrounded by trees.

Historical information

This photograph is significant as it shows young boys in the early 20th Century. It also shows the state of the Campaspe river as well as bridge construction in the early 20th Century. It is part of the Dowell Family Collection and it is thought to be taken by Grimwood.

Significance

This photograph shows bridge construction in the early 20th Century. It also shows the way young boys dressed in the beginning of the 20th Century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the front of the photograph in white lettering are the words; " Suspension bridge Campaspe." Written on the back of the photograph in pencil are the words; "Grimwood photo. c.1910? Bridge over Campaspe, probably near Showgrounds."

A black and white postcard

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white postcard showing Goulburn Road, Echuca East, in either the 1906, or 1916 floods.

Historical information

The postcard is significant because it shows the extent of the flood in the early 20th Century. The bridge crosses the Southern Cross channel which had been built as part of the Murray Darling irrigation system. There is a vehicle on the bridge either being towed by bullocks or horses. Floodwaters cover the whole view.

Significance

The postcard is significant because it shows the extent of the flood in the early 20th Century. The bridge crosses the Southern Cross channel which had been built as part of the Murray Darling irrigation system. It is also near the water filtration plant which filters the town's water supply. There is a vehicle on the bridge either being towed by bullocks or horses. Floodwaters cover the whole view.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on the back are the words; W. Grimwood Echuca. POST CARD. Correspondence Address Only Kodak Australia. Hand written on the back are the words 1906 or 1916? Southern Cross bridge near filtration plant. Goulburn Road, Echuca East.

A black and white rectangular photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white rectangular photograph of the new stem post being fitted to the P.S Pevensey, whilst resting on the Moama slipway. The stem post was only one task in the complete restoration of the P.S Pevensey which happened in September 1975. There is a piece of chain attached to a crane at the top of the stem post. On the side of the Pevensey is a plaque with many lines of writing on it. The heading on the plaque says P.S. Pevensey.

Historical information

This photograph is significant because it shows one of the tasks involved with the restoration of the P.S. Pevensey which took place in 1974/75. Kevin Hutchinson had come to Echuca from Mildura when the City of Echuca bought the Pevensey. He was responsible for the task of restoring the paddle steamer. He continued to work at the Port of Echuca until his death in 2016. In 1990 he received an Order of Australia medal for his contribution to the Port of Echuca.

Significance

This photograph is historically significant because the P.S Pevensey had come from Mildura to Echuca in the early 1970's to help develop Echuca's tourism industry. Kevin Hutchinson moved to Echuca with the paddle steamer , and was involved in the restoration. Kevin continued to work at the Port of Echuca until his death in 2016. He was also awarded an Order of Australia medal in 1990 for his work at the Port of Echuca.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the front of the photograph can be seen a plaque with the heading P.S Pevensey. The plaque is covered with writing which cannot be read. On the back of the photograph, in black ink is written the following words, ' Pevensey restoration 1974/75. New stem post being fitted.'

Aboriginal artefacts

Anglesea and District Historical Society, Anglesea

Aboriginal grinding stone

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A large rock of generally oval shape and with a number of flatish surfaces and hole indentations which were identified by archaeologist Dr Joanna Freslov 2.6.2008 as being used by Aboriginal people as a grinding or tool-sharpening stone.

Historical information

This large and very heavy stone was donated by Albert Emphield. Where he found it is unknown, but he worked in the Orbost forest areas and lived at Cabbage Tree Creek.

Significance

Aboriginal usage, tool manufacture.

Aboriginal grinding stone (mortar).

Donald History and Natural History Group operating the Donald Court House Museum, Donald

Stone

Historical information

This grinding stone (mortar) was used by Aboriginal people to grind or crush different materials such as berries and seeds for food production. In order to grind material, a smaller upper stone (the pestle) would have been used to grind material against this lower stone (the mortar). The stone was found by a farmer on land south of Donald in the 1950’s and was used as a door stop in the family home for many years. In the 1990's the stone was used by the farmer's grandaughter at her home at Swanwater West, to hold the lid down on an above ground swimming pool skimmer box.

ABORIGINAL GRINDING STONE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

ROCK SHAPED BY ABORIGINALS FOR GRINDING PURPOSES

Historical information

GRINDING STONE - MULLER - TOP STONE FOR GRINDING

ABORIGINAL GRINDING STONE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

SHAPED BY ABORIGINE STONE

Historical information

TOP GRINDING STONE USED TO GRIND NUTS, ROOTS ETC. TO MAKE FLOUR FOR FOOD

Aboriginal Grinding Stone

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Large concave stone. Nardoo Stone of Nanya Tribe.

Aboriginal painting - Paddy Jampin Jaminji - The Hills of Bedford Station

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Large painting on board of symbolic landscape. Brown, yellow, cream and white. Framed.

Historical information

In around 1924 a band of Gija people crossed fences onto their traditional land near Bedford Downs Station in the East Kimberley 2000 km northeast of Perth and killed nine head of cattle. This act precipitated one of the massacres to become known as the 'killing times'. Paddy Quilty, the station owner of Bedford Downs had his men collect wagon loads of firewood which was distributed around the camp. He then invited everyone to assemble for their rations. The food, laced with strychnine, was handed out. As the Gija people fell down dying in agony, they were shot. The firewood was used to burn the bodies. One boy escaped to the the story. Paddy Jamin Jaminji (c.1922-1997) painted The Hills of Bedford Downs Station as part of a series of painting about the Killing Times. It depicts the story and sites of the massacre. At least twelve killing sites are recorded within a radius of 150 km of Turkey Creek, WA. The painting was possibly discarded due to its damage in one corner and later collected from an old shelter at Warmun on a field trip by collector Neil McLeod in 1995.

Aboriginal painting - Jack Wherra - Ancestral Spirit Dancers: Djumba

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Two Djumba figures, both male on black background. Ochres on Canvas.

Aboriginal painting - Rover Thomas Joomala - Mount House

Burrinja Cultural Centre, Upwey

Mostly black surface with an area of white on the right side and a brown band near the top, lined with white dots. Work show the 'black soil country'. Ochres on Canvas.

ABORIGINAL STONE AXE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

ABORIGINAL STONE AXE

Historical information

HEAD OF ABORIGINAL STONE AXE, FOUND IN BALLARAT.

Above the starry frame

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paperback book. Front cover: image of houses surrounded by fields; image of Irwin's Provincial Hotel with people and horses and carts; white and black lettering.

Historical information

Biography of William Irwin who migrated to Australia in 1850. He was a digger and a publican during the gold rush in Ballarat. He was publican at the Star Hotel, John O'groats Hotel and the Provincial Hotel. The Star Hotel was closely connected with the story of the Eureka Stockade. The book in part draws from family correspondence.

Significance

The book's author, Helen Townsend, is Irwin's great-granddaughter. Relevance to the history of Ballarat, gold mining and the Eureka Stockade. Biographical interest - William Irwin.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: title and author. Back cover: book synopsis; praise for the book by Tom Keneally.

A brave new workplace : will the Howard government's workplace reforms make Australia better off? And how will they affect your job?

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

VHS.

Historical information

The struggle between the Howard government and the labour movement over the Work Choices legislation. Includes interviews with key players - for example, Greg Combet and John Howard - and reported by Sally Neighbour.

Significance

Relevant to the union movement and changes in workplace rights. Pertains to the history of the government of John Howard (1996-2007).

A bright future for the Ballarat Station Precinct

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Glossy light card. White background, green and black text, colour pictures of the precinct, Victorian State Government logo. One A4 flyer printed both sides.

Historical information

This leaflet is a project update about proposed redevelopment of the Ballarat railway station precinct. The project to be funded by the Victorian State Government, the Pellicano Group, Spotless and Quest.

Significance

Of community and economic significance to the Ballarat region. Impacts upon work opportunities for the community and access to the Ballarat railway station for employees and goods and services. Possible tourism growth in the region. Indicative of government position.

A brush with history : the Painters Union and the Australian labour movement

Unions Ballarat, Ballarat

Paper; book. Front cover: white background; red and black text; colour image of the union banner.

Historical information

History of the Painters Union.

Significance

Of historical significance to the union movement in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: title and author's name.

Abstract - 'WW.01.20.2000' by Wes Walters

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Historical information

Wes Walters was a student at the Ballarat Technical Art School. This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Academic Bonnet

Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History, Melbourne

Navy blue velvet cloth bonnet with stiffened brim covered in same fabric as bonnet. Around the hat is tied a gold cord with tassels.

Historical information

This academic bonnet belonged to Dr Mary Burnell. Mary Taylor Burnell was born on 21 February 1907, in Norwood, South Australia. She graduated with her MBBS in 1931. In 1932, Burnell served as a resident medical officer at Adelaide Children’s Hospital. By 1934 she was their Honorary Anaesthetist. It was also during this period that Burnell became the first female member of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. One year later, in 1935, she worked as Secretary for the South Australian Section of the Society. Although resigning from her position at the Children’s Hospital in 1937, Burnell returned in 1942. The outbreak of World War II meant hospital staff and resources were drained. During her work, Burnell lobbied for a Department of Anaesthetics in the Children’s Hospital. Through working at both hospitals, she became aware of the great differences between administering anaesthesia to children and administering it to adults. In 1953 she was elected President of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists. She was the first female to be elected to this position. Two years later in 1955, Burnell was elected as a member of the Board of Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. In 1966 she was elected Dean of the Faculty of Anaesthetists. Again, she was the first female to be elected to this position. Burnell worked tirelessly to promote the importance of anaesthetics in Australia. Burnell’s contributions to anaesthetics were recognised with Honorary Fellowships to both the Australian Faculty of Anaesthetists and Royal College of Surgeons.

Academic gown and mortarboard

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Academic gown and mortarboard belonging to Mr John Stayt, teacher at Ballarat College, 1964-1993. Woollen academic gown; three quarter length, full sleeves. No hood or scarf. No embellishments.

Historical information

A woollen academic gown and mortarboard worn by John Stayt, school teacher 1964-1993.

Inscriptions & Markings

Silk label inside crown of hat: Made in England/Christy's London/Ryder & Amies/Cambridge Printed in ink on label: JMS (twice) Silk label sewn into backneckline of gown: University Robe Makers/Ryder & Amies/Cambridge Printed in ink on gown label: STAYT

Academy of Music advertisement

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

Academy of Music advertisement. White sheet with black print one side only. Rignold & Allison's English & Comic Opera Company. Offenbach's Celebrated Opera Bouffe "La Perichole". Conductor W.H. Harrison.

accessories -bows

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

Two hand-made bows - accessories for a dress or blouse. 2483.14 is a yellow/gold colour made of satin or rayon. It is a bow with a long hanging tail. 2483.15 consists of 4 strips of green, red and black material gathered together with a safety pin.

Historical information

These bows would have been attached to either the front of a blouse or back of a long dress as an accessory to change an outfit or give it style. It was probably worn by Mrs Whiteman and passed on to her daughter Marjorie Burton.

Significance

This item is an example of a handcrafted item and reflects the handcraft skills of women in the first half of the twentieth century.

Accessory

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

'Tennis Ball Caddy'. Ball-holding bracket for wear during tennis play. Holds five balls and is intended to be worn around the waist. Materials: Cardboard, Ink, Plastic, Synthetic material, Paper

Accessory box for a No 6 Director Mk I

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Leather accessory box with shoulder strap and metal buckles. Flip open lid.

Historical information

Possibly related to the range-finding equipment sent from England for dismantling during the 1940s so University of Melbourne Physics staff could develop their own equipment. Related to object 463.1

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed in lid: 'CASE NO 6 DETECTOR MK 1 / COOKE, TROUGHTON & SIMMS, LTD / 9 / 22 / A.F.A' and broad arrow symbol.

Accident outside Gears Chemist

Ballarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat), Ballarat

Historical information

Max Harris Collection, Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute