Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

141525 items

close

141525 items

Photograph - Artists of Kew Exhibition, Southesk

Key words

kew historical society - members
alma figuerola
cr whs dickinson
exhibitions - kew (vic)
southesk - cotham road - kew (vic)
southesk - south esk - ordsall

Photograph of a group of adults attending an exhibition entitled Artists of Kew. Two people have been identified in the photograph - Cr WHS Dickinson and Alma Figuerola at centre. The location of the exhibition would appear to be at Southesk in Cotham Road. the year has not been identified. Both Miss Figuerola and Cr Dickinson were foundation members of the Kew Historical Society.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, Alma Figuerola, Cr WHS Dickinson, exhibitions - kew (Vic), southesk - cotham road -Kew (Vic)

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Artists of Kew Exhibition. Founder of KHS Cr Dickinson in dark suit. Miss Alma Figrierola [sic] to his left". "KH-97"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographs - The Grip of Time, Kew Civic Hall, circa 1973

Key words

public sculpture - kew (vic)
kew civic hall
kew library
the grip of time

Two colour polaroid photographs of the sculpture 'The Grip of Time' on the north exterior wall of the Kew Library. At left is the coat of arms of the City of Kew. The sculpture was purchased and donated to the City of Kew by Mrs Laurel Abercrombie. The artwork was created by Peter Schipperheyn.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Box

Key words

boxes

Two boxes. 1. Covered box with desert scene on lid. 2. Small grey/blue flocked box "Exquisite".

Historical information

Items belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell. (Manager of Evelyn Jam Factory).

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Jewellery box

Key words

jewellery boxes
boxes

Porcupine quill jewellery box. Ebony/Ivory.

Historical information

Item belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell

Inscriptions & Markings

Maiara - Elephant picture inside the lid.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - The Cast

Key words

cast photographs
theatre - melbourne

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Corsage

Key words

corsages

Artificial handmade corsage - cream with rose and lily of the valley flowers.

Historical information

Made by Barbara Cornell for her 1938 wedding. Small bouquets worn at the waist, on the shoulder etc.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Magnifying glass

Key words

magnifying glasses
optical instruments

Small brass pocket magnifying glass - brass surround. Round with round finger hold.

Historical information

Belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - The Cast

Key words

cast photographs
theatre - melbourne

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1925

Key words

presbyterian church - kew (vic)
kew presbyterian church - young men's bible class
churches - social activities - 1920s

Group photograph of young men in attendance at a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1925. The photo would indicate that the event was a young men only event. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "1925. Annual Fancy Dress Social. Kew Presbyterian Young Men's Bible Class"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Watch

Key words

pocket watches
watches

Fob watch in brown leather pouch.

Historical information

Belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1922

Key words

presbyterian church - kew (vic)
kew presbyterian church - young men's bible class
churches - social activities - 1920s

Group photograph of participants in a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1922. It is believed that the group was the Young Men's Bible Class who held this event annually. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "Masked Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Hall, November 1922"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Kew Congregational Church, South Esk, circa 1900

Key words

congregational church - kew (vic)
south esk - south esk - ordsall - kew (vic)

Members of the Kew Congregational Church in front of one of the verandas of Southesk, circa 1900.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Shield - Jubilee Perpetual Trophy - Senior Division

Key words

jubilees
perpetual

Historical information

This is a long standing Jubilee trophy awarded annually

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

no image

Death Certificate - Deaths in the District of Morwell - Elizabeth Ann Newton

A3 paper photocopy of original.

Significance

Death certificate for Elizabeth Ann Newton, nee Joiner. The Joiner family were a well known early Kilmore family

Kilmore Historical Society, Kilmore

no image

Glass ashtray

Key words

furniture accessories
smoking equipment

Amber-coloured glass ashtray created from a melted and squashed "stubbie" beer bottle with no cap.

Historical information

Asahi Breweries is one of the main operating companies of Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd. which is a beer and soft drink company based in Tokyo, Japan. As of January 2014, Asahi, with a 38% market share, was the largest of the four major beer producers in Japan.

Inscriptions & Markings

On main part of ashtray:"Where there's life there's butts" together with three cigarette butts, all surrounded by a double lined border, all in white paint. Around the base of the neck of the bottle: "Asahi Beer' embossed 4 times

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

no image

Untitled

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Book - The Works of Virgil

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the works of virgil
james lonsdale & samuel lee
james lonsdale
samuel lee

The Works of Virgil Author: James Lonsdale & Samuel Lee Publisher: MacMillan and Co Date: 1890

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 871 VER Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Trophy

Key words

geelong cycling club; 2012; club champion; 2nd place;

Trophy on stand in embossed gold colour. It has handles to each side of a spiral shape and at the top - a depiction of a laurel wreath and bow surrounding a blue coloured circular centre. It is mounted on a brown bakelite base with an inscription plate set into it.

Historical information

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days. It is interesting to note that over time awards have changed with the fashion of the time. Cycling trophies have ranged from badges in the early 1900s, to sashes in the mid 1900s, then to shields and to individual trophies, and currently to medals.

Significance

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days.

Inscriptions & Markings

Geelong Cycling Club/2012/Club Champion/2nd Place/

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Book - Tales of Day and Night

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
tales of day and night
guy de maupassant
marjorie laurie

Tales of Day and Night Author: Guy de Maupassant Translated by Marjorie Laurie Publisher: T Werner Laurie Ltd Date: 1951

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 843.8 MAU Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Children’s Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - A Shakespearian Grammar

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
a shakespearian grammar
e a abbott

A Shakespearian Grammar Author: E A Abbott Publisher: MacMillian & Co Date: 1876

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 822.3 ABB Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Trophy

Key words

gccc; 1984; greg stewart; reg marriner cycles;

Gold anodised aluminium cup with arms and mounted on a base block of imitation stone. A small plaque on the block is inscribed. To lid of the trophy is damaged with what appears to have been an athlete, with only the foot remaining.

Historical information

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days. It is interesting to note that over time awards have changed with the fashion of the time. Cycling trophies have ranged from badges in the early 1900s, to sashes in the mid 1900s, then to shields and to individual trophies.

Significance

This award provided an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days.

Inscriptions & Markings

GCCC/1984/Most Impressive/Greg Stewart/Donated by Reg Marriner Cycles/

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Book - The Prose Works of H W Longfellow

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the prose works of h w longfellow
h w longfellow
outre-mer
hyperion
kavanagh
outre-mer, hyperion and kavanagh

The Prose Works of H W Longfellow Author: Outre-Mer, Hyperion and Kavanagh Publisher: Cassell & Company

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 813 LON Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - Poems of Adam Lindsay Gordon

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
poems of adam lindsay gordon
adam lindsay gordon
frank maldon robb

Poems of Adam Lindsay Gordon Edited by Frank Maldon Robb Publisher: Oxford University Press Date: 1950

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 819.91 GOR Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - The Paddock That Grew

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the paddock that grew
keith dunstan

The Paddock That Grew Author: Keith Dunstan Publisher: Cassell & Co Date: 1962

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text RA 796.358 DUN

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - La Peau de Chagrin

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
la peau de chagrin
honorè de balzac

La Peau de Chagrin Author: Honorè De Balzac Publisher: Jules Tallandier

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 843 DEB Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Record of Conduct and Service (Charles Henry Stanbury)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1918; victoria police; stanbury, charles henry 5695

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police service: Joined 28/09/1911; Granted extended leave: 27/06/1915; Resumed duties 30/10/1919; Highest rank: Sergeant; Retired 14/09/1947 WW1 service: Enlisted 19 July 1915; Highest rank: Lieutenant; Regiment: 8th Light Horse Regiment; Fate: Returned to Australia 17 July 1919; Medals: Military Medal for bravery in the field; 1914-1915 Star, British War and Victory Medals

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Book - Boswell in Holland

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
boswell in holland
frederick a pottle

Boswell in Holland Edited by Frederick A Pottle Publisher: William Heinemann Date: 1952

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 828.6 BOS Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Record of Conduct and Service (Stanley James Speed)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1918; victoria police; speed, stanley james 6058

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police service: Joined 28/10/1914; Leave of absence August 1915; Re-joined 29 July 1919; Retired 22/07/1945 WW1 service: Enlisted 3 August 1915; Highest rank: Lance Corporal; Regiment: 4th Division Traffic Control; Fate: Returned to Australia 23 March 1919; Medals: Military Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

no image

Sculptured Bust - Balinese Lady

Key words

tina wentscher
sculpture
internee

White sculpture of Balinese Lady

Historical information

Tina Wentscher was born in Istanbul to Jewish Parents and grew up in Berlin. Lived in Indonesia 1931 - 1932 - 1933, China 1932 - 1933, Thailand 1935 - 1936, Singapore 1936 - 1937, Malaysia 1936 - 1940. Interned as an enemy alien in Tatura 1940 - 1942. Her works are represented at NGV, Canberra and McCelland Gallery, Langwarrin.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Bereavement Tribute

Key words

mrs john dickson love
john dickson love
love
goulburn valley agricultural, horitcultural and pastoral association

Hand-painted Calligraphic tribute for Mrs. John Dickson Love with black covers. Hand Painted border depicting fruit and scenery. Signed by members of the Goulburn Valley Agricultural, Horticultural and Pastoral Association.

Historical information

Presented to Mrs Love in sympathy on the death of her husband

Inscriptions & Markings

Mrs. John D Love. Tatura North August 6th 1892

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Record of Conduct and Service (David Leslie Snowdon)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1918; victoria police; cornwall, snowdon, david leslie 6060

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police service: Joined 28/10/1914; Leave of absence: August 1915; Resumed duties 12/11/1919; Retired 10/06/1948 WW1 service: Enlisted : 3 August 1915; Highest rank: Driver; Regiment: Australian Provost Corp; Fate: Returned to Australia 2 August 1919; Medals: 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

no image

Prints - Lager Skizzen

Key words

lager skizzen
camp 1
wilhelm eckels
woodcuts
wood cut prints

Brown paper folder with green print of camp guards overlooking camp. Inside are six woodcut prints of camp sketches.

Historical information

These items belonged to Wilhelm Eckels who was a wool buyer in Sydney when the war broke out. He was interned in Camp 1, aged 22. Another set of these prints has been donated, see C7968

Inscriptions & Markings

Internierungslager Tatura ~ Australien

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Foolscap Folder - French Grammar

Key words

hans luyken
wilhelm eckels
french grammar

Manilla foolscap folder containing typed pages of French Grammar. The spine of the folder has been hand stitched. The owner's notes have been hand written throughout.

Historical information

This item was in the possession of Wilhelm Eckels an internee in Camp 1.

Inscriptions & Markings

French Grammar made up by Hans Luyken in Tatura 1942

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Record of Conduct and Service (Charles Hartop Smith)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1918; victoria police; smith, charles hartop 5913

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police service: Joined 22/08/1913; Leave of absence Sep 1914; Re-appointed 14/05/1919; Retired 16/01/1940 WW1 service: Recalled by British authorities to serve as a Military Reservist; Regiment: 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment; Fate: Returned to Australia early 1919; Medals: Distinguished Service Medal

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

no image

Exercise Book - W. Eckels

Key words

wilhelm eckels
camp school work

Sovereign blue school exercise book belong to Wilhelm Eckels. Contains French Grammer lessons.

Historical information

Wilhelm Eckels was a wool buyer in Sydney when war broke out. He was interned in camp 1.

Inscriptions & Markings

W. Eckels

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Theatre Programs

Key words

camp 1
theatre programs
wilhelm eckels
internment camps

Six Pages of theatre programs, all in German with decorative illustrations. One copy appears to be an original copy. The remaining pages are later copies.

Historical information

These programs belonged to Wilhelm Eckels, an internee in Camp 1. His name appears in one of the programs.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Photograph

Key words

cornishtown
hare drive
corowa hospital

Photograph of group of men with the result of their "Hare Drive", in the Cornishtown district.

Historical information

A "Hare Drive" was a way of raising money for charitable causes. A person would contract to buy the hares at a price before the shoot and the proceeds were given to the Corowa Hospital.

Chiltern Athenaeum Trust, Chiltern

no image

Folder - Harston Youth Club Reunion

Key words

harston youth club reunion

A4 folder containing letters, newspaper articles, photographs, etc. about the Harston Youth Club

Historical information

The folder contains all relevant information gathered prior to the Harston Youth Club Reunion as well as memorabilia.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Painting - framed - copy - Bank Director

Key words

heinz kuehlenthal
peter dein

Painting depicting a bank director in is office.

Historical information

Heinz Kuehlenthal, Dunera refugee, internee in camp 3 during WW2. His name is on the door as the Bank Director.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Dolls Pram

Key words

otto gottlieb
ruth gottlieb
camp wood woord
camp wood work

Timber pram on metal rectangular "Wheels". Red metal handles. Sides are painted grey and trimmed in red. Hand painted animals, sea creatures, boats and a lighthouse.

Historical information

The pram was made by Otto Gottlieb, for his daughter Ruth's fifth birthday. Otto and family were internees in camp 3.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Record of Conduct and Service (Albert Arthur Russell)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1915; victoria police; russell, albert arthur 6050

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police Service: Joined 28/10/1914; Granted leave October 1915; Resumed duties September 1919; Discharged 1/11/1923 (Police Strike) WW1 service: Enlisted 2 October 1915; Highest rank: Gunner; Regiment: 4th Field Artillery Brigade; Fate: Returned to Australia 3 May 1919; Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

no image

Badge - Tatura Fire Brigade Long Service

Key words

tatura fire brigade
tatura cfa
tatura cfa long service badge
tatura cfa long service badge recipients

Brass and enamel badge with lugs attached. Centre white circle has shield in maroon and gold surrounded by blue band with gold Country fire Brigades Board Victoria. This is surrounded by a gold wreath which is mounted on a back plate with 8 points. At top of point is the axe and hose and helmet of a fire fighter. At the bottom is a blue enamel scroll with long service in silver.

Historical information

Long service badge given to Roy Dick

Inscriptions & Markings

as above

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Correspondence - Joint Campus Planning for Tertiary Institutions at Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong, 1973

Key words

victoria institute of colleges
mount helen campus
e.j. barker
jack barker
phillip law
lindsay thompson
ballarat institite of advanced education
ballarat college of advanced education
r.w. birrell
e. szomanski
a. buchanan
fourth university

Correspondence between the Hon. L.H.S. Thompson, M.L.A. (Minister of Education) and Phil G. Law, Vice-President of the Victoria Institute of Colleges. Jack Barker, Principal of the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, was CCed into the correspondence.

Historical information

The documents relate to changes within teacher training institution. At Ballarat, this involved the move of the Ballarat Teachers' College to the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education (Mount Helen Campus) and the rename of the campus to Ballarat College of Advanced Education. Later this became a campus of Federation University Australia.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Dagger

Key words

bruno weinmann
dagger

Small zinc dagger made from a melted toothpaste tube and cast into a mold. Housed in a 4 cm square plastic container with lid and sitting on yellow foam.

Historical information

Made by the brother of Bruno Weinmann. The camp children collected toothpaste tubes, melted them down and poured into moulds carved out of wood, sand and clay.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Photograph - copy - Neef Family

Key words

roland neef
edith neef
eugen steller
elli steller
elli lippman
edith lippman

A4 size picture, copy taken of Australian War Memorial site, depicting the Neef family in Camp 3, approx 1942.

Historical information

Left - Neef parents Edith and Roland Neef with children Helmut, Manfred and Herbert. Right - Steller parents Eugen and Elli Steller (nee Lippman) with children Anne, Inge and Reiner. The wives are sisters.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Shield

Brass Rising Sun with Queens Crown on a wooden backing

Inscriptions & Markings

Rising Sun "Australian Imperial Force"

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood

no image

Photographs - Copy - Camp 3

Key words

helmut neef
camp 1 tatura
camp 3 tatura

2 x Camp 3 photographs taken after the camp closed. approx 1952; 1 x camp 3 showing 2 water tanks and after huts were removed.

Historical information

Photographs taken by Helmut Neef on post war visit.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Medal - Best Bird Tatura Show 1914

Key words

victorian poultry and kennel club
j b brooks

Round bronze disc with scroll on one side with inscription; other side has emblem of emu and kangaroo, and inscription.

Historical information

This is a Victorian Government medal give by the Victorian Poultry and Kennel Club. They conducted their show in conjunction with the local show and provided a variety of prizes. This attracted a large entry from State wide. This arrangement was repeated at many other country shows at that time if the local Show society wished to affiliate. The show at Tatura attracted over 300 poultry entries in 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

scroll: won by J B Brooks best bird Tatura Show 1914; other side: Australia in outer circle, The Victorian Poultry and Kennel Club.

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Audio Tape - Hans Wettl (2)

1 Sony audio tapes in plastic cases. Marked Hans Wettl 2 .

Historical information

Hans Wettl was interviewed by Australian John Anderson about his experiences in Murchison POW Camp 13. Hans died 3 months after the interview. Recordings have been transferred to DVD. 2 parts. (C2142).

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

no image

Book

Hard cover with Jacket, HMAS Mk11. Has 200 pages with colour drawings of vessels and other Navy equipment/personnel. Book was published to present the work in WW2 of the ships and men of the RAN.

Ringwood RSL Sub-Branch, Ringwood