Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Collecting Fire: A new kind of practice

7 Feb 2019

“While museums have traditionally aspired to collect “the real thing” and to create repositories of tangible evidence of our collective past, the essence of this project and its emerging collection was in making real the intangible through personal stories, symbols, and metaphors – giving form to matters of the heart. A new kind of museum practice was therefore needed.” - Sites of Trauma: Contemporary Collecting and Natural Disaster

Curated By

Lauren McAlary, Veterans Heritage Project Manager

141548 items

close

141548 items

Manual - Knitting Patterns

Knitting patterns for seamen

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Seamen's transport

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Badge - Flying Angel

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Badge - Honorary Worker - The Missions tho Seamen

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Badge - The Mission to Seafarers

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Untitled

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Cards - Playing Cards The Mission to Seafarers

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Cards - Playing Cards The Mission to Seafarers

Unopened

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Flag - The Mission to Seafarers

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Flag - The Mission to Seafarers

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Clothing - Flying Angel Tie

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Clothing - Flying Angel Tie

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

no image

Costume Accessories - Ballarat School of Mines Cufflinks and Pin

Key words

albert t.h. adams
ballarat school of mines associate
cufflinks
pin

Sterling Silver and enamel cufflinks and pin featuring the Ballarat School of Mines shield.

Historical information

The cufflinks and pin were owned by Ballarat School of Mines Associate Albert Adams.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

BINOCULAR CASE, GERMAN

WWII Tan leather binocular case, empty. The paper instruction has detached from inside the lid, written black ink in German. Dated 1937. Case has a closing strap & stud at each end. It has 2 straps for mounting on wearer's belt, each held by a stud. There is a darkened buckle on belt side. The hinge is leather, double sewn on both sides.

Inscriptions & Markings

Near belt buckle: Some stamping marks Made Jun 1940 & Nazi army badge (Eagle & Swastika). Stamped onto side of lid: K

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

SHELLS, CANNON

.1) Small calibre brass cannon shell, rimmed. Calibre approx 25 mm or 1 inch. 6 cms up from base is a circumference ridge line. .2) Same as above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped on base: K & III

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

STOVE, FOLDING

Galvanised metal folding stove with numerous ventilation holes. One side folds outwards 90 degrees to form the stove. Hexamine tablets used to fuel.

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

Calendar - Pictorial Ballarat Calendar, 1983

1983 calendar with drawings of Ballarat scenes by Graham Hawley, Peter Bryan and Bill Bolitho.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

BERET

Green woollen beret, black corduroy rim, small black ribbon at rear.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: Royal Australian Corps of Signals (RASigs) badge. Stamped inside: Kent Pure Wool Large

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

PUGGAREE

New. Khaki coloured cloth, puggaree to suit a slouch hat.

Inscriptions & Markings

ADA. APR 2005 - Size 60 NSN 8405 66 025 1608

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

Stencils - Cut Stencils

Key words

keith rash
stencil
signwriting

Six cut stencils by Ballarat signwriter Keith Rash.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

SLIDE RULE

.1) Specialist wooden slide rule for use with range setting of Vickers Machine Gun. Brown varnish with black print on both sides. 2 wooden slides pull out from top or bottom. There is a 2 foot cord at top. .2) Brown corrugated leather case for above. The flap is secured with a steel knob.

Inscriptions & Markings

Both sides: MG MK III WHH 1940 (.303 Vickers MG for MK VII Ammn [Ammunition])

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

no image

Stencils - Cut Stencils

Key words

keith rash
drawing

Six drawings by Ballarat signwriter Keith Rash.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

no image

Large Book. - "The Changing of the Guard".

Large Green Leather covered book with Gold Australian Coat of Arms on front.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reproduced from Official and other photographs of the two World Wars. Published under the auspices of the Board of Management of the Australian War Memorial. Contains Dedication - To the men and women of the Empire who in every hour of danger , face the storm … who in their willing sacrifice are bearing the brunt of a struggle for the peace and security of all peoples.

Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch, Dandenong

Photograph - Artists of Kew Exhibition, Southesk

Key words

kew historical society - members
alma figuerola
cr whs dickinson
exhibitions - kew (vic)
southesk - cotham road - kew (vic)
southesk - south esk - ordsall

Photograph of a group of adults attending an exhibition entitled Artists of Kew. Two people have been identified in the photograph - Cr WHS Dickinson and Alma Figuerola at centre. The location of the exhibition would appear to be at Southesk in Cotham Road. the year has not been identified. Both Miss Figuerola and Cr Dickinson were foundation members of the Kew Historical Society.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, Alma Figuerola, Cr WHS Dickinson, exhibitions - kew (Vic), southesk - cotham road -Kew (Vic)

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Artists of Kew Exhibition. Founder of KHS Cr Dickinson in dark suit. Miss Alma Figrierola [sic] to his left". "KH-97"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographs - The Grip of Time, Kew Civic Hall, circa 1973

Key words

public sculpture - kew (vic)
kew civic hall
kew library
the grip of time

Two colour polaroid photographs of the sculpture 'The Grip of Time' on the north exterior wall of the Kew Library. At left is the coat of arms of the City of Kew. The sculpture was purchased and donated to the City of Kew by Mrs Laurel Abercrombie. The artwork was created by Peter Schipperheyn.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Box

Key words

boxes

Two boxes. 1. Covered box with desert scene on lid. 2. Small grey/blue flocked box "Exquisite".

Historical information

Items belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell. (Manager of Evelyn Jam Factory).

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Jewellery box

Key words

jewellery boxes
boxes

Porcupine quill jewellery box. Ebony/Ivory.

Historical information

Item belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell

Inscriptions & Markings

Maiara - Elephant picture inside the lid.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - The Cast

Key words

cast photographs
theatre - melbourne

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Corsage

Key words

corsages

Artificial handmade corsage - cream with rose and lily of the valley flowers.

Historical information

Made by Barbara Cornell for her 1938 wedding. Small bouquets worn at the waist, on the shoulder etc.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Magnifying glass

Key words

magnifying glasses
optical instruments

Small brass pocket magnifying glass - brass surround. Round with round finger hold.

Historical information

Belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - The Cast

Key words

cast photographs
theatre - melbourne

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1925

Key words

presbyterian church - kew (vic)
kew presbyterian church - young men's bible class
churches - social activities - 1920s

Group photograph of young men in attendance at a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1925. The photo would indicate that the event was a young men only event. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "1925. Annual Fancy Dress Social. Kew Presbyterian Young Men's Bible Class"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Watch

Key words

pocket watches
watches

Fob watch in brown leather pouch.

Historical information

Belonged to Mrs. Ellen & Mr. Charles Cornell.

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1922

Key words

presbyterian church - kew (vic)
kew presbyterian church - young men's bible class
churches - social activities - 1920s

Group photograph of participants in a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1922. It is believed that the group was the Young Men's Bible Class who held this event annually. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "Masked Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Hall, November 1922"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Kew Congregational Church, South Esk, circa 1900

Key words

congregational church - kew (vic)
south esk - south esk - ordsall - kew (vic)

Members of the Kew Congregational Church in front of one of the verandas of Southesk, circa 1900.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Shield - Jubilee Perpetual Trophy - Senior Division

Key words

jubilees
perpetual

Historical information

This is a long standing Jubilee trophy awarded annually

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

no image

Death Certificate - Deaths in the District of Morwell - Elizabeth Ann Newton

A3 paper photocopy of original.

Significance

Death certificate for Elizabeth Ann Newton, nee Joiner. The Joiner family were a well known early Kilmore family

Kilmore Historical Society, Kilmore

no image

Glass ashtray

Key words

furniture accessories
smoking equipment

Amber-coloured glass ashtray created from a melted and squashed "stubbie" beer bottle with no cap.

Historical information

Asahi Breweries is one of the main operating companies of Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd. which is a beer and soft drink company based in Tokyo, Japan. As of January 2014, Asahi, with a 38% market share, was the largest of the four major beer producers in Japan.

Inscriptions & Markings

On main part of ashtray:"Where there's life there's butts" together with three cigarette butts, all surrounded by a double lined border, all in white paint. Around the base of the neck of the bottle: "Asahi Beer' embossed 4 times

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

no image

Untitled

Mont De Lancey, Wandin North

Book - The Works of Virgil

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the works of virgil
james lonsdale & samuel lee
james lonsdale
samuel lee

The Works of Virgil Author: James Lonsdale & Samuel Lee Publisher: MacMillan and Co Date: 1890

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 871 VER Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Trophy

Key words

geelong cycling club; 2012; club champion; 2nd place;

Trophy on stand in embossed gold colour. It has handles to each side of a spiral shape and at the top - a depiction of a laurel wreath and bow surrounding a blue coloured circular centre. It is mounted on a brown bakelite base with an inscription plate set into it.

Historical information

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days. It is interesting to note that over time awards have changed with the fashion of the time. Cycling trophies have ranged from badges in the early 1900s, to sashes in the mid 1900s, then to shields and to individual trophies, and currently to medals.

Significance

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days.

Inscriptions & Markings

Geelong Cycling Club/2012/Club Champion/2nd Place/

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Book - Tales of Day and Night

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
tales of day and night
guy de maupassant
marjorie laurie

Tales of Day and Night Author: Guy de Maupassant Translated by Marjorie Laurie Publisher: T Werner Laurie Ltd Date: 1951

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 843.8 MAU Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Children’s Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - A Shakespearian Grammar

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
a shakespearian grammar
e a abbott

A Shakespearian Grammar Author: E A Abbott Publisher: MacMillian & Co Date: 1876

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 822.3 ABB Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Trophy

Key words

gccc; 1984; greg stewart; reg marriner cycles;

Gold anodised aluminium cup with arms and mounted on a base block of imitation stone. A small plaque on the block is inscribed. To lid of the trophy is damaged with what appears to have been an athlete, with only the foot remaining.

Historical information

This award provides an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days. It is interesting to note that over time awards have changed with the fashion of the time. Cycling trophies have ranged from badges in the early 1900s, to sashes in the mid 1900s, then to shields and to individual trophies.

Significance

This award provided an incentive for cyclists to perform at their best on club race days.

Inscriptions & Markings

GCCC/1984/Most Impressive/Greg Stewart/Donated by Reg Marriner Cycles/

Geelong Cycling Club, Geelong

Book - The Prose Works of H W Longfellow

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the prose works of h w longfellow
h w longfellow
outre-mer
hyperion
kavanagh
outre-mer, hyperion and kavanagh

The Prose Works of H W Longfellow Author: Outre-Mer, Hyperion and Kavanagh Publisher: Cassell & Company

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 813 LON Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - Poems of Adam Lindsay Gordon

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
poems of adam lindsay gordon
adam lindsay gordon
frank maldon robb

Poems of Adam Lindsay Gordon Edited by Frank Maldon Robb Publisher: Oxford University Press Date: 1950

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 819.91 GOR Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - The Paddock That Grew

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
the paddock that grew
keith dunstan

The Paddock That Grew Author: Keith Dunstan Publisher: Cassell & Co Date: 1962

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text RA 796.358 DUN

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Book - La Peau de Chagrin

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
la peau de chagrin
honorè de balzac

La Peau de Chagrin Author: Honorè De Balzac Publisher: Jules Tallandier

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 843 DEB Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Record of Conduct and Service (Charles Henry Stanbury)

Key words

world war 1, 1914-1918; victoria police; stanbury, charles henry 5695

Official document

Historical information

When the First World War broke out, Australian men from all backgrounds and professions were called to serve their country.  Members of the Victorian Police force were some of the first to answer the call with twenty men joining the first convoy of soldiers who left Australian shores in October 1914. Over the course of four long years, one hundred and thirty-eight Victorian Police enlisted from stations across the state. Of these, twenty-seven lost their lives. Whilst the fate of each man was different, a deep commitment to protecting and serving the public was common to all. Victoria Police service: Joined 28/09/1911; Granted extended leave: 27/06/1915; Resumed duties 30/10/1919; Highest rank: Sergeant; Retired 14/09/1947 WW1 service: Enlisted 19 July 1915; Highest rank: Lieutenant; Regiment: 8th Light Horse Regiment; Fate: Returned to Australia 17 July 1919; Medals: Military Medal for bravery in the field; 1914-1915 Star, British War and Victory Medals

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Book - Boswell in Holland

Key words

warrnambool
shipwrecked-coast
flagstaff-hill
flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum
maritime-museum
shipwreck-coast
flagstaff-hill-maritime-village
shipwrecked-artefact
book
pattison collection
warrnambool library
warrnambool mechanics’ institute
ralph eric pattison
corangamite regional library service
warrnambool city librarian
mechanics’ institute library
victorian library board
warrnambool books and records
warrnambool children’s library
great ocean road
boswell in holland
frederick a pottle

Boswell in Holland Edited by Frederick A Pottle Publisher: William Heinemann Date: 1952

Historical information

This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853. By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over. In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called. When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison. Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself. RALPH ERIC PATTISON Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool. In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum. He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself. He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there. Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.” Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant. A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success. In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne. He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.

Significance

The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection. The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations. The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on spine cover with typed text PAT 828.6 BOS Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Public Library covered by a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service Front loose endpaper has a sticker from Corangamite Regional Library Service

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool