commemorative medallion - H.M.S Galatea commemorative medallion
From the Collection of Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives Old Monash Medical School Building, Ground Floor Alfred Hospital 55 Commercial Road melbourne Victoria
- A round,metal coloured medallion . Inscribed on both sides. The obverse shows a profile bust with edge detail. The reverse features HMS Galatea under sail.Commerating the visit to Australia by HRH Prince Alfred , Duke of Edinburgh in 1867.
- 4.5cm x 0.5 cm
- medallion, hrh prince alfred duke of edinburgh, alfred hospital
- This medallion was presented to Punt Road State School pupils who attended the Alfred Hospital Foundation Stone Ceremony 6th March 1869 by HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.
- T.STOKES MELBOURNE (Maker)
- This item is of historical significance because HRH Prince Alfred Duke of Edinburgh laid the Alfred Hospital Foundation Stone. The Alfred Hospital is the first Melbourne public hospital on its original site.
- The medal on the obverse side shows a profile bust of the Duke of Edinburgh. Inscribed around the bust is H.R.H.Duke of Edinburgh. Floral decoration around the medal edge.
The reverse side had a sailing ship. The ship is HMS Galatea. Around the edge : THE COMMEMORATIVE THE VISIT OF HRH PRINCE ALFRED, DUKE PF EDINBURGH K.G.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM