Plaque. Matron Gwladys M. Thomas - plaque
From the Collection of Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives Old Monash Medical School Building, Ground Floor Alfred Hospital 55 Commercial Road melbourne Victoria
- This large metal plaque made from metal and brass is to the memory of Matron G. M. Thomas, Alfred Hospital Graduate 1933,was Matron of Hamilton Hospital and was killed in action in 1941.The plaque contains a 3D image of G. M. Thomas wearing her Alfred Hospital Nurses League badge.
- width 66cm at base. 51cm at centre. 30cm across peaked top, and 54 cm centre length.
- matron gwladys thomas, alfred hospital, ww11
- Matron Thomas was already in the army reserve at the outbreak of WW11, saw action in Middle East, unfortunately killed in a car accident after evacuating patients at this time.
- circa 1942-1946
- Melbourne (Maker)
- The memorial plaque is significant because Matron Thomas was an Alfred Hospital graduate and remembered by the Alfred Nurses League and Alfred hospital.
- In memory of Matron Gwladys M. Thomas AIF Trainee of Alfred Hospital. Killed in action 1941.
'Neither counted she her life dear unto herself.'
- 7 Oct 2019 at 12:23PM