Acquired when "Classweave Industries" closed down
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact National Wool Museum
Acquired when "Classweave Industries" closed down
Selection of metal files used for cutting wool bale stencils with an accompanying box. Not all files belong to this box as some are too long to fit within. Used in Denny’s Lascelles Bow Truss building by Maurice Dalton who was the foreman of the building for 34 years. Files are ‘Cup Brand’ – ‘Best refined steel files’ and were manufactured by the no longer trading Moss & Gamble Brothers LTD at the Franklin works in Sheffield, England.
12 steel files of varying length, thickness and shape. The longest and thickets are in a flat half circle with some files being fully flat, others complete cylinders, one is a complete square and others are in the shape of a triangle. Cardboard box is brown with black inscription on lid of box.
stencils, denny’s lascelles bow truss building
Two short sections of flooring cut for distribution during Deakin Universities ‘Open Day’ in December 1994. This was during the conversion of Dalgety Wool Store to Deakin University’s Woolstore Campus. These small pieces of timber are part of Geelong’s history and were salvaged from the Dalgety Woolstores during the renovations. Hundred of meters of ironbark, red gum, pine and other timbers, some more than a century old, were reclaimed from the site and have been recycled as furniture and featured building materials for the woolstore campus. The old brick stores, located on a formerly neglected section of the Corio Bay shoreline, now house the administration and chancellery, architecture and building schools, information technology services, the student union, a cafeteria and, as the focal facility, a Great Hall seating 1500 people and acoustically tuned for symphony orchestras. The refit was developed from the existing grid of substantial timber columns and beams extending over 52,000 square metres. This framework was filled with lightweight panels to enclose workplaces and removed in some parts to establish courtyards, atriums and streets. The brick facades were redefined with new doors and double-glazed windows in proportion to original fenestration. Bright colours and industrial finishes identify the new insertions.
Square sections of redgum lumber cut into floorboards. The sides of the lumber have a grove cut on one side and a matching section to fit within this groove on the other side. This has been done to ensure the floorboards have a tight and consistent fit with one another. The bottom of the lumber also has an additional grove running through the middle of the redgum. On top, one of the sections of lumber has three nail holes, which travel all the way through to the bottom of the wood.
deakin university, dalgety wool store, red gum
In the early nineteenth century larger Australian wool producers sent all their wool by sailing ship to London, where colonial auctions were held in November, January, February and March. Wool bales were carried from the farm on drays or wagons pulled by bullocks, horses or camels to port warehouses. In these times, wool transport could take anything from a week to six months. Ships, such as the Lightning, were then loaded and raced each other to get to London ahead of their rivals. The wooden ship 'Lightning' was destroyed by fire while loading wool at Geelong 31 Oct. 1869. Scuttled in Corio Bay and the remains later blown up. Reputed to be one of the fastest sailing ships. Famous in the Australian passenger trade.
Model of a clipper ship with hull painted brown and black. Red Ensign flag attached to flag pole.
On label - Lightning Black Ball Line 1854-55
geelong, transport, model ship, lightning, wool transport
The Edina was one of the longest serving steam vessels anywhere in the world. Built on the Clyde by Barclay, Curle & Co. she was an iron hull single screw steamer of 322 tons with three masts. In 1855 Edina was requisitioned by the Admiralty from her owners the Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co. to carry stores and horses to the Black Sea during the Crimean War. After return to her owners Edina traded around the UK and Mediterranean before being purchased and used as a blockade runner during the American Civil War carrying cotton from the Confederate states in 1861. Edina arrived in Melbourne under sail in March 1863 and was purchased by Stephen Henty for use from ports in western Victoria and later carried gold prospectors across the Tasman to New Zealand. After a refit in 1870 she was used in the coastal trade along the Queensland coast for Howard Smith until returning to Victoria and the Melbourne-Geelong trade as a cargo-passenger vessel. The Edina had two narrow escapes from destruction in 1898 and 1899 when she collided with other steamers, both being sunk. A further refit in 1917 altered her appearance with a new mast, funnel, bridge and promenade deck. By 1924 Edina had made over 12,000 Melbourne-Geelong passages and carried over one million people on the service. A further collision in July 1931 which sank the tug Hovell forced Edina onto a mudbank on Port Phillip Bay. She was taken out of service in 1938 but was later renamed Dinah and used as a lighter until 1958 when she was broken up and her remains used as land-fill.
Model of a Coastal Trader & Passenger Ship with hull painted red and black. Red flag and black flag with S attached to flag pole.
On forward of ship - Edina
geelong, transport, ship model, water transport
There are several different designs of drench guns within the NWM Collection that show the change in their development over time. On the left side of this gun white paint indicates the adjustable dose lever. It is a sliding scale from 10 to 0 cubic centimetres of liquid (now typical measure in millilitres). It also has a small and straight tip suggesting this gun was typically used for dosing Lambs as opposed to ewes. The manual adjuster helped to minimise cases of overdosing which can be fatal for livestock while the additional curvature helped to ensure the liquid reached the desired location within the sheep’s mouth. This desired location is on the left rear of the sheep’s tongue (from the sheep’s point of view) as this is where the oesophagus is located. The main risks are that drench may be delivered into the lungs via the trachea or “windpipe”, which can also prove fatal. The opening to the trachea which leads to the lungs is in the middle of the back of the throat. Another risk is the throat can also be damaged due to rough handling.
Silver metal with black finishing drench gun. Straight tip on gun protrudes from the body which feature a thin squeezable trigger to the front of the body. The main bulk, which the trigger is squeezed towards has silver cylinder on top of the handle where tubing carrying the liquid drench into the gun attaches. The small section of tubing still attached has a yellow/orange appearance from remanence of drench which would have been this colour.
sheep drenching, veterinary instruments
Onkaparinga started in South Australia in 1869. Migrating from Germany, two brothers, Heinrich and Edward Kramm, both weavers, purchased and brought with them some machinery and established themselves in Hahndorf in a mud hut. Their original plant consisted of one carding machine, one spinning mule of 30 spools and 2 hand looms. The spinning mule was horse driven, the others all hand operated. The wool was washed by hand and dried in the sun then teased by hand. Now 145 years later the brand name Onkaparinga, is known all over the world, the products reflect the experience, passion and ingenuity of over a century's tradition in providing luxurious home wares.
Light orange waffle weave woolen blanket, with nylon trimming. Product tag included with plastic case.
On product tag - The better way to sleep. Onkaparinga
onkaparinga, blanket, wool, kramm
Donald & Sons Ltd is a manufacturer and importer of wool presses and other machinery. Located in Masterton, NZ, they transported wool presses around the world. This plaque would have been attached to one of their machines.
Gold colored organisational plaque with embossed lettering on the front, containing the organisation description.
Donald & Sons Ltd Patentees, manufacturers and machinery importers. Masterton N.Z.
wool press, new zealand, donald & sons
Needles are over 100 years old. The donor obtained them from Mrs Patricia Wrench, a granddaughter of Lord Brassey, Governor of Victoria between 1985 – 1900. The needles were manufactured by W.H. Head & Son, a Trimming Manufacture and Wholesale Haberdashers company established in London.
A purple leather case containing 39 steel knitting needles of varying widths.
Above clip of case, gold lettering - W.H. Head & Son, Sloane st, London, S.W. Inside case, gold lettering - 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
england, needles, patricia wrench, lord brassey, knitting
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.