From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria
- Maltese bobbin (NGV) Bedfordshire Cluny style hand made plaited lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12)
See photos (2)
- 31 cm long 18 cm wide
- janet amess lace collection, lace, churchill island, amess, collar, garment, clothing, maltese, bobbin, handmade, plaited, bedfordshire cluny
- The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
- The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.
- 8 May 2020 at 9:26AM