Torquay and District Historical Society, Torquay
Timber pole associated with WW2 and Torquay SLSC, damaged by fire in 1970.
This pole was used in the construction of the first Torquay Lifesaving Club clubhouse in 1945. it was dug up by club members from the mouth of Spring Creek, where it had been laid as part of defence strategy during WW2. In the 1940s 'Tank Traps' were placed across low lying Victorian Beaches to stop potential invading Japanese forces. This pole was salvaged from the ashes of the fire which destroyed the first TLSC clubhouse in 1970.
This wooden pole was used in the foundations of the first Torquay Surf Life saving Club club house.