Historical information

The Torquay Surf Life Saving Club was formed in 1922. Members operated from a large bathing box on the Torquay front beach. Eventually at a meeting at the Palace Hotel in January 1946, it was resolved to form the Torquay Surf Club but the name was changed to Torquay Surf Life Saving on 20 February 1946. Building of the first clubhouse was completed in 1946. The first 50 years of the Club are chronicled in a book by Ken Pollard held by TDHS and which is catalogued under Item 00012 in this catalogue.

Significance

The formation of the Torquay Life Saving Club in 1946 and the establishment of a permanent clubhouse was the culmination of the efforts of members and friends of the Torquay Surf Lifesaving Club over the previous quarter of a century.

Physical description

A3 Black and White photograph