Photograph is a copy of an original from Dowell collection.
The former Town Hall and Law Courts were built in 1868. The building was designed by renown Bendigo architects, William Charles Vahland and Robert Getzschmann. The building was completed in 1871. It was used as the Town Hall and the front section as the Police Court House until 1924. The first High school classes were held here from 1912-1914. It began its life as the Municipal Library in 1954 until 2013.
Former Town Hall and Court House has historical, cultural and artistic significance to Echuca and Victoria. In 1991 the building was part of a conservation study which described it as "an imposing early public building in the Italian Renaissance manner ...having polychrome brickwork with trabeated facade"."the former Town Hall and court house is significant at State level as an early Italian Renaissance architectural practice of Vahland and Gletschmann. In 2013 it had a facelift and became Council offices again, although the brickwork is no longer exposed.
Black and white photograph of southern corner of the Town Hall (later the Municipal library), Echuca, corner High and Heygarth street. Photo taken facing north.
Inscriptions & markings
On front, left hand bottom corner: "Town Hall, Echuca." On reverse: in ink "AV=7". "Rose 3053". In pencil : "Old Town Hall, now Library"