Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph - Coffer dam in the Yarra at Anderson's Creek, 1864.

From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Vic

Description
Black and white photograph of Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection, no. 918 (duplicate of hard copy held at Eltham Library)
Object Registration
00337
Keywords
yarra river, warrandyte, floods, gold mining, coffer dam, sepp, anderson's creek
Historical information
1864 - photograph of the Coffer Dam in the River Yarra approximately opposite Whipstick Gully. Remains of bridge built in 1860(?) wrecked by 1863 flood in background.

Photo: C.W. Walters

Cross Reference Photo No.(s): Used on page 29 of "Pioneers and Painters"

Source: Ringwood Historical Research Group, through request of Mrs. B. Hipwell, Research

GOLD
Gold was first discovered in this area at Andersons Creek (Warrandyte) in June 1851 by Louis Michel. Discoveries north of the Yarra did not occure until about 1854.
Although it took some months for a true rush to develop it was not long before alluvial workings were being carried on in most of the Shire of Eltham. The last area in which gold was discovered was Kinglake.
As the gold became harder to find, deep mining took over from alluvial diggings in the gullies. Perhaps the most extensive of the deep workings workings was the Diamond Creek Mine just outside the boundary of the Shire. This form of mining was continued into the 1930s.
There are believed to be some mines in the area still capable of producing gold but present prices make working these uneconomical. Some gold is still found by weekend prospectors.
When Made
1864
Last updated
23 Sep 2018 at 4:47PM