Historical information

The township of Moama grew around James Maiden's Junction Inn, which was situated on the Murray river "a few miles above the junction at the Campaspe River. Maiden transferred the licence to Thomas Waltham in December 1856 and ...he soon enlarged the two-storey building. In 1876 [it] was renamed the Royal Hotel and Mrs Isabella Thompson took over the lease. The building was renovated and the Corinthian columns and balcony over the porch added. The inn was delicensed in 1879." (Coulson,H. Echuca-Moama: on the Murray. 1995. pp. 27-29)


The township of Moama was originally known as Maiden's Punt (1851) and was built around the original Junction Inn built and owned by James Maiden. Over the next few years the inn was renovated and enlarged to the grand two-storey building in this print, only to be delicensed in 1879 after the town moved west away from the low-lying country towards the Echuca-Deniliquin railway line. The building was destroyed by fire in 1937. The front pillars are all that is left today.

Physical description

Black and white photographic drop-out print of the Junction Inn, Moama.

Inscriptions & markings

In pencil left of the print:" The Junction Inn, built & owned by James Maiden. Maiden transferred his license to Thomas Waltham in December, 1856, who enlarged the 2 storey brick public house. Hotel was delicensed when photo taken."