Tennis courts at Alfred Hospital 1933 - photograph 1933
From the Collection of Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives Old Monash Medical School Building, Ground Floor Alfred Hospital 55 Commercial Road melbourne Victoria
- The first grass tennis courts were built in 1923 between the Edward Wilson Wing[ Wards 3 & 5] and the nurses home, close to Commercial Road. This photograph was taken in 1933. In 1943 the Margaret Coles Maternity Wing opened on this site. The tennis courts were relocated to the other side of the walkway until 1993 when the multi story car park occupied the site.
- 11cm x 6 cm
- This is a photograph of the first grass tennis courts at the Alfred Hospital. They were built in 1923. The photo was taken in 1933.Many social tennis matches were held during the 70 years they were on the Alfred Hospital site.
- The tennis courts were being considered in 1900. They were not established until 1923 and there are many photographs and stories to justify how extensively they were used. They were relocated in 1943 and used until a multi story car park was built on the site in 1993.
- The photo is from a donation album which contains other photographs of the tennis courts.
- 1 Sep 2017 at 10:12AM