This photograph of two Alfred Hospital trainee nurses with children indicates how important it was to allow children in hospital some exposure to sunshine and fresh air.
The Children's Ward 15 at the Alfred Hospital was on the ground floor and opened in 1902, west of the Administration Block. The upper level was Ward 12, a women's Medical Ward. A feature of this wing is that it had verandahs and balconies on both sides, these being equipped with a special design of blind. Patients could benefit by the morning as well as the afternoon sunshine.
A photograph taken circa 1948, of two trainee 2nd year nurses, caring for children in the sunshine outside the Children's Ward 15.
Inscriptions & markings
The photograph is labeled Audrey K and Lorna M with four children on a cot in the sunshine outside Ward 15