Historical information

The P.S Australien was built in 1897 by Richard Wilson, of Moama, at Echuca. In 1937 it was used to tow boilers, winches, derricks etc. for construction of Locks 6,7,9 and Yarrawonga Weir. Presently awaiting restoration at Echuca.( Ref. Parsons. R. Ships of the Inland Rivers.)

Significance

The P.S Australien is significant because it is one of the oldest Paddle steamers built at Echuca. It was a working vessel during the construction of the Yarrawonga weir in the 1930's which was the beginning of the irrigation system which enabled the Agriculture Industry to become such a prominent industry in the Murray-Darling River Basin.

Physical description

This is a photograph of a photograph of the P.S Australien, moored to the river bank. The position is unknown.

Inscriptions & markings

On the back of the photograph are the words "Australien c. 1915 / Dusting Collin.