Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Black and white photograph

From the Collection of Port of Echuca 74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria

Description
Black and white photograph of a Walker Diesel engine inside the Echuca Loco shed. Front and left hand side view.
Size
H20 X W25.5cm
Links
Object Registration
P000366
Keywords
echuca- transport, railways, echuca, echuca loco shed, diesel trains
Historical information
The Walker Diesels were built in the 1950's and developed 153 horsepower. (Roy McDuff, Port of Echuca)
When Made
1962
Made By
George L. Coop (Maker)
Significance
The railways were an important part of the transportation of goods to Melbourne from the Port of Echuca. September 1864 saw the completion of the line from Bendigo to Echuca. In 1877 the iron bridge over the Murray River was completed and used by the trains of the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company, " a private line that operated on the Victorian gauge between Echuca and Deniliquin" (Blyth, Ian Echuca Sketchbook Rigby 1978. p.24)
Inscriptions & Markings
On the reverse of photo in blue pen:"Echuca Locomotive Shed 1962. Photograph: George L. Coop". Crossed out, in black pen: "566". In pencil:" Walker Diesel 153 hp 1950's"
Last updated
19 Oct 2017 at 10:52AM