Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Black & white photograph

From the Collection of Port of Echuca 74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria

Description
Black & white photograph of the P. S. Edwards tied up to the bank. A large winch can be seen on the front deck.
Size
H 9.00 cms X W 12.00 cms
Links
Object Registration
P000387
Keywords
port of echuca, p. s. edwards, evans bros saw mills, webb, j.m
Historical information
The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. Official number 73287, made of wood, with paddle wheels at the side. 78 gross tons, 27 nett tons. It was altered in 1916 , after cabin removed 48 gross ton. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 and then raised in January 1981 and then was being restored by Geoff Evans in 1985 (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)
Significance
The P. S. Edwards has historical and social significance being a paddle boat built in Echuca. The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 "and as the mill was burnt in 1959 salvage was not attempted. She was raised in January 1981 and in 1985 was restored by Geoff Evans. While owned by Evans Bros, was used to bring red gum from the Barmah Forest to the sawmill in the barge Clyde." (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)
Inscriptions & Markings
On the paddle steamer can be seen the word Edwards.
Last updated
8 Jan 2019 at 11:34AM