Black and white photograph
From the Collection of Port of Echuca 74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria
- Black and white photograph of 3 men working on foredeck of paddle steamer, P. S. Adelaide, which is tied to bank.
- 14 X 9 cm - P000395.1 25 X 17.5 cm P000395.2
- barney binks, captain, p. s. adelaide, echuca, port of (riverboats), thistle bed landing, p. s. adelaide, sinking of, jack katajn, jim luney, george mitchell
- P. S. Adelaide was a logging steamer operating between Echuca and Barmah forest. It was built in 1866 by G. Linklater, Echuca. Original owner J. G. Grassie, Poon Boon Station & S. H. Officer, Murray Downs Station. In June 1891 she was purchased by Murray River Sawmills and spent most of her working life on the Barmah Forest run. In 1960 she was purchased by Echuca Apex Club and steamed to Echuca. Installed on a bed of cement in Hopwood Gardens, Echuca before being restored to be refloated as a significant addition to the Port of Echuca maritime fleet (Parsons, R. Ships of the Inland Rivers. 2005. p.46)
- The P.S Adelaide is extremely significant as it it the oldest known wooden hulled paddle steamer in the world. She was built in Echuca in 1866 and still operates on the Murray River today. She has worked in the Wool Industry, the Timber Industry and the Tourist Industry.
- Written on reverse of photo in pencil:" Adelaide sinking after being snagged, c.1949. Thistle Bed Landing - 4 barges in tow. Jack Katajn, Jim Luney, Geo. Mitchell, (Barney Binks, Capt.)
- 26 Oct 2017 at 11:18AM