Historical information

Founded as the United Service Institution of New South Wales in 1888, the Royal United Services Institute of New South Wales today is one of seven self-governing constituent bodies of the Royal United Services Institute of Australia.
The United Service Institution of New South Wales (Sutton, 1989) was established in Sydney on 20 August 1888, with the first general meeting on 24 October and election of officers on 14 November 1888. The Patron was the Governor of New South Wales and the first President was Major-General J. S. Richardson, CB [Note 1], Commandant of the Military Forces of New South Wales. In his inaugural address delivered on 3 January 1890, General Richardson stated that the main object of the Institution was to be “the higher professional education of officers” (Richardson, 1890). The Rules specified the object as “the promotion of Military and Naval Art, Science and Literature” via:
Origins of the United Service Institutions
A meeting of some 80 naval and military officers, “a veritable roll-call of the Battle of Waterloo”, in London on 25 June 1831, agreed to form a Naval and Military Library and Museum (Kent, 1996). King William IV agreed to be the Patron of the new Institution and the Duke of Wellington to be its founding President. The United Service Institution was officially born the following day – 26 June 1831. The Duke of Wellington presented his personal sword to the Institution to be permanently displayed as a symbol of the link between the Institution and the Armed Forces.
•a Library, containing historical, scientific and professional works;
•a Topographic Room, with maps, charts and plans;
•a Museum for objects illustrative of the progress of military and naval art among all nations; and
•the reading, at its stated meetings, of papers on professional subjects, with discussion thereon.

Physical description

Rosewood lacquered wood base with badge on top

Inscriptions & markings

The Royal United Service Institution of N>S>W Crown on top of circular badge. Inside of circle crown, crossed swords and bird.