A WW1 era Australian Light Horse riding saddle. The saddle is a 1915 pattern Officers riding saddle, made of leather and is complete. The saddle is displayed on a wooden frame.
This saddle formerly belonged to MAX ARMSTRONG a WW2 ex-serviceman and a Frankston RSL Sub Branch member. Max and other ex-service officers were members of a volunteer Light Horse Mounted Section who, for many years, rode at the head of the annual Melbourne ANZAC Day commemoration March, leading the marching troops. At the completion of the march the Light Horse Mounted Section would visit the Memorial Horse Trough near the north east corner of the Shrine of Remembrance for a brief service paying tribute to Australian war horses.