Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph

From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria

Description
Colour photograph of the three stained-glass windows at the back of the St Peter the Mariner's Chapel, taken from the centre, red-carpeted aisle between the pews.
Size
H15 x W9.9
Object Registration
0064.4
Keywords
mission to seafarers, stained-glass window, st peter the mariners chapel, lhlg office bearers, memorial window, alice sibthorpe tracy, lhlg
Historical information
The window dedicated to Miss Tracy was unveiled in 1933. The window dedicated to Miss Godfrey was unveiled in 1935.
When Made
1933
Significance
The images of stained-glass windows in the Saint Peter's the Mariner's Chapel at 717 Flinders St, are a visual history of the Mission and the people associated with it. Apart from the links with long standing and significant Melbourne women, members of the LHLG. Miss Tracy's family was instrumental in the foundation of the Women's hospital in Melbourne. These windows in particular are also known to have been designed and made by Brooks Robinson a significant company of Stained glass manufacturers with examples of their work found througout Melbourne and Victoria.
Last updated
6 Dec 2019 at 12:57PM