Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph - Ringwood Technical School 1963 Teachers and Office Staff Group Photo

From the Collection of Ringwood and District Historical Society 125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

Description
Black and white photograph

Names of Teachers and Office Staff

Top row: J. Davidson, Mr Sutherland, ?, Mr Stevens, Doug Thomas, Mr Burgoyne.

3rd row: Mr Misso, Doug Alkemade, Lance Brittingham, Mr Donaldson, ?, Ollie Norris, Tom Butcher, Mr Nelson, Jack Montgomery, Lindsay Boucher.

2nd row: Graham Moore, Mr Burgoyne, Lindsay Beulke, Mrs Howard, Miss Beanland (Office), Mrs Jonson, Jean Nelson, Mrs Rutledge (Office), Kath Hickinbotham, Mrs Kovak, Mr Johnson, Doug Webster, Pat Guinane.

1st row: Audrey Hartigan, Miss Cox, Ruth Barber (Office), Mrs Elizabeth Goss, Wilma Cotes (Head Mistress), Edward Heard (Principal), Roy Holmes (Headmaster), Mrs Weavers, ? , Miss Croxford /Mrs Bowring, Miss Lauritz / Mrs Woolrich.

Not all teachers are shown in the photograph as some were part-time or absent.

Photograph from Ringwood Technical School photo album, labelled “Ringwood Technical School 1963-’64 Class Photos”.


Object Registration
17090
Historical information
Experienced teachers came from all parts of the State to teach in this unique school, the first co-educational technical school in Victoria. In 1963, 229 Form 1 students were enrolled, being the biggest student intake so far in the school’s 5 year history, bringing the school population close to 700 in Forms 1 to 4. Extensions to the 3 year old building were under way to cope with the increasing student numbers.

The school was known locally as Ringwood Tech School, Ringwood Tech, Ringy Tech, Ringers Tech, The Tech and RTS. It began in 1958 with Form 1 boys, then Form 1 girls in 1959 at a separate campus. Both groups were hosted at district schools until 1960, when the new school was completed at Heathmont. It was the first co-ed technical school in Victoria. The school underwent several name and role changes in later years, and finally closed in 2003.
When Made
1963
Last updated
3 Mar 2020 at 10:21PM