Historical information

The photographs for the slides are believed to have been taken by the inaugural Editor for the Caulfield Contact - the official newspaper of the former City of Caulfield from 1976-1994. The Editor was also Council's Community Liaison Officer and she (and her successor) took many photographs of official events and Council-related services and locations in connection with both these official roles.

The City of Caulfield was the Municipal Council for an area of the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, including Brighton East, Carnegie, Caulfield, Elsternwick, Gardenvale, Glen Huntly, McKinnon, Murrumbeena, Ormond and St Kilda East.

Credit: Glen Eira Historical Society - This item was digitised and made available through the Glen Eira Heritage Digitisation Strategy 2019-2023. Glen Eira Historical Society acknowledges the support of Glen Eira City Council.

Caulfield’s Meals on wheels project started in 1958 and was run by volunteers. By 1974 Caulfield Council assumed responsibility for the administration of the service which by then was the largest in Victoria, supplying 300 meals each weekday. By 1987 with a combination of both paid and volunteer staff up to 136,000 meals were distributed each year to individual homes and to various clubs and organizations.

Physical description

Page 2 of slide album D to F, in a polypropylene slide sleeve containing 14 x 35mm colour slides. A sample of 3 images from this page is included.