The subject of the painting is Hilda Daniell, b.1878- d.1970. Miss Daniell attended Ruyton 1893-1896 (matriculating twice 1895 & 1896). She became a teacher at Ruyton on and off between c.1898-1910 and was Chief of Staff towards the end of that period. In mid-1913 she purchased Ruyton after it closed during Miss Florence Earle Hooper's principalship. Miss Daniell was owner/Principal 1913-1930, when she transitioned Ruyton to becoming a company school overseen by a School Council. She was Principal 1930-1952.
The painting was commissioned by the Old Ruytonians Association (Alumnae Association) on the occasion of Miss Daniell's retirement in 1952. The painting was unveiled at a Garden Party held at Ruyton on Saturday 8 November, 1952. (The Age, 10 Nov 1952, p5)
The Artist was alumna Miss Judith Eagle (1950, later Mrs Judith Paton), who attended Ruyton as a Boarder 1941-1950. The Ruytonian, 1952, p49, notes that Judith Eagle had received the C.O.R. prize for painting and was leaving to study in Paris.
Rectangular, gold framed portrait of an older woman looking toward the viewer. She is seated and is wearing glasses and a dark academic gown. Her grey hair is pulled back in a bun and she has a pearl necklace. She holds a blue book in front of her. Behind her is a mottled red/maroon backdrop.
Inscriptions & markings
Signed in brown paint, lower right corner: "Judith Eagle"