Mrs. Louisa Johnson (1840-1919) of "Kelsey" in South Morang. One of a series of photographs and a relative of the donor, Roslyn Wilson.
There recently passed away, at Ringwood, Mrs. Louisa Johnson, relict of the late Charles Johnson, of "Kelsey," Mernda, at the ripe old age of 80 years. The deceased lady came to the Plenty in the year 1853 with her parents, the late John James and his wife of "Riverside," Mernda. When quite young she married Charles Johnson, who was a partner of her father, and lived her whole life after marriage on "Kelsey". The deceased was of a charitable disposition, and very good to her neighbours, and she and her family are very much respected in the valley of the Plenty. She was on a visit to her daughter, Mrs Walter Smith, when she was struck down by a stroke of paralysis, from which she never recovered, but gradually sank and died. Her loss makes one more gap in the lives of the early pioneers of the beautiful valley of the "Plenty, and her loss will be severely felt, as she, with her generous heart, was ever ready to assist and help, as far as her means would allow, any deserving object. She was, at her death, and had been from its inception, a staunch supporter of the Mayfield Presbyterian Church, Mernda, and was loved and respected by a large circle of friends for her goodness and kindness to all.
She leaves a family of nine, all alive being Mr William Johnson, of Darlingford ; Mises S. A. Johnson of Nathalia; Mrs. Walter Smith of Ringwood; Mr. Walter and Mr. Ernest
Johnson, of Mernda ; and the Misses E. A., A. M. and L. E. Johnson, of Mernda ; and Mr. Charles E. Johnson, South Morang, Inspector for the Shire of Whittlesea. Mrs. Johnson was a sister of the first wife of Cr. Thomas, of Mernda, also of Mrs. Holdsworth, of Mansfield.
A4 copy of a photograph printed on thick card, also digital image on HD.
Inscriptions & markings
Annotation reverse: 18. 16 years Louisa Johnson c.1859