From
Close

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214
Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

400 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (323) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (3)
View As Grid List

400 items

adjustable wrench

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

twist design on handle; jaws bent out of shape and worn. Hand-made

adjustable wrench

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast jaws on rod. Handmade. Jaws badly warped. Surface rust and paint spots

Adze

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fairly modern standard adze

Historical information

Hytest is regarded as best Australian brand of axe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hytest

Adze

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rusted, well worn, blacksmith made with bias on blade. No handle

Amess Family Tree

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

30pp starting with Samuel Amess b. 1730 m. Elizabeth (Annison) 26/12/1750 at St Michael and All Angel's, Barton Turf, Norfolk, England - Jaxon Charles Doherty, 11th generation b. 7/10/2012. Plastic comb binding. Black and white. Compiled by Geoff Collier.

Argus camera

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Camera owned by Dr Harry Jenkins with original box

Historical information

Possibly used to take photos of island activities which are held in archive

Significance

Used by Harry Jenkins to take photos of activities at this time.

Inscriptions & Markings

"argus/ seventy-five" at top on lens: ARGUS LUMAR 75mm MADE IN AUSTRALIA at side of front: INST/TIME

Auction Advertising Booklet - "Historic Churchill Island. Westernport Bay."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

6 inside pages plus front and back cover. Pinkish tinge, black print. Photos, map, text - typed and handwritten. For Churchill Island auction by Sister Margaret Campbell Saturday June 2nd 2:30PM 1973. Agent: Alex Scott and Co. P/L.

Inscriptions & Markings

"CAFFYN" on front cover top right

Auger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

8 twists in the steel auger with cast iron chuck fused.

Inscriptions & Markings

Chuck: "2" Auger "16" "IRWIN MADE IN USA"

Auger bits X 13

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Babcock Milk Tester

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Grey blue hand operated spinner to determine fat content of milk. Bottles missing

Historical information

Possibly used by Harry Jenkins when Churchill Island operated as a dairy farm

Inscriptions & Markings

Babcock Tester, Official

Baby bonnet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Strips of machine lace imitating bobbin lace; hand crocheted together. Crocheted rosettes. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note; "Hand crocheted silk lined baby's bonnet" Lace fabric rayon?

Baby's bonnet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace. Can display with calico cushion inside. Wash calico first. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Bag filler and rammer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Galvanised iron with funnel hopper, half covered, rammer underneath, cylindrical pipe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Barklem /bag filler/&/ rammer/ patent registered no 7012

Bag hanger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hoome made unpainted metal bag hanger with shearer plough wheels base. Ring to hold bag stored separately

Significance

Good example of farm improvisation

Bag lifter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

metal, surface rust, 2 arms with semi-circle lift at one end

base glass bottle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

broken base of black glass bottle, heavy glass.

Historical information

Possibly found on one of the several 'tip sites' on Churchill Island

Beaded piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Fine cotton bed jacket. Hand embroidered scalloped edge."

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Motifs hand sewn on to machined net; bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace machine made motifs hand-appliqued on (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4) See also 0086 cuff.

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Machined lace bed jacket. Janet Amess 1860. From Kel Bright Collection with separated cuff".

Bed jacket cuff

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cuff from 0086. Motifs hand sewn on to machined net. Bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace. Machine made motifs hand appliqued on (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Limerick lace bed jacket Janet Amess 1860 from Kel Bright collection with separated cuff".

Bench hand drill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

White bench hand drill with black wheels and cogs

Bill hook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rough pine handle with many borer holes. Commercially made (no ID) cast in socket one end, strap iron riveted other end. Cast blade.

Black and white photos X 8

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Views of: Amess barn; Roger's cottage and northwest corner of Amess House; cannon X 4; Ken Stott and Roy Shallow divining water; bridge being built c. 1958-1959. Catalogue sheet has list of photographs attached.

Inscriptions & Markings

Some photos are labelled on the back.

Black beaded/sequined trimming

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

2 layers - one strong background with fine top layer with beadwork - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black beaded trimming (hand beaded)".

Black Lace Front

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Area for head to fit through not cut out. Machine lace - unsure why made like this. Oblong piece of net may be to cut out. (Lace Group, Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black lace "Front" with neckline hole"

Black on cream lace collar

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Block plane

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden smoothing plane with handle. Adjustable via wedge. Borer holes in handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ward blade. Plane made by Mathieson & Son Glasgow Best Guaranteed.

Block plane

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

US elm base.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Millers Falls Warranted" on blade. "M.D.W" carved on side

Blouse

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Chinese 20th C Hand crocheted insertions. Hand embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Light bed jacket. Probably hand made in Asia c 1970 judging by size tag '14'"

Book - "Rebel Down Under When the 'Shenandoah' shook Melbourne, 1863" by Cyril Pearl

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blue plastic covered dust jacket. 200pp. 8 black and white illustrations.

Inscriptions & Markings

Diane Tillen (?) 1973

Book - Biography - "My Journey From The Snowy River"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Landscape oriented book, fawn cardboard cover, pale yellow pages, greyscale photos, pen and ink map, 64 pp, by L.C. (Dick) Rogers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamp on inside front cover. "P.A. Spencer 12 Hereward Close Cowes Victoria 3922 Australia"

Book - Historical - "Lieut. John Murray. H.M. Survey Vessel Lady Nelson and the Discovery of Port Phillip"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Portrait oriented cardboard covered book. Colour cover. Buff pages. 1 colour plate. Several facsimile diagrams. 108pp. Dust jacket. Diary from Sunday 14/2/1802 - Thursday 11/3/1802.

Inscriptions & Markings

"$35 #17333" (pencil)

Booklet - Air Rifle Shooting For Elementary, Secondary, Grammar and Public Schools

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pamphlet by Harry Berkley Score from collection of Dr Harry Jenkins

Historical information

Harry Jenkins had served in the Boer War and was a crack shot. He taught many visitors to Churchill Island how to shoot and had a collection of guns and rifles.

Significance

Probably used this booklet to teach young people about, and how to shoot with air rifles.

Booklet - Complete Dispersal Sale Churchill Dairy Shorthorn Stud

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fawn coloured cover, cream pages, black print. 14pp + cover. 47 lots all cattle named and pedigree given. For Wednesday April 3rd, 1946, at Cleeland's Property. Auctioneers: Gippsland and Northern Co-op Co Ltd. For same auction as 0098.

Inscriptions & Markings

Cross alongside entry Lot 31 Buyer (?), Lot 38 buyer, Lot 39 buyer, in pencil

Book - thesis - "A History of Churchill Island Settlement, Land Use and the Making of a Heritage Site"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A4 book, green hardback cover. Double sided print; b& w photos and maps

Significance

Dr Sanders's thesis outlines the various owners/occupiers of Churchill Island from 1850-1929. She describes the process of her research and collaboration with various parties in the process of developing her thesis.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Friends of Churchill Island Society past, present and future. Many thanks for your friendship and support. I could not have finished without you. The errors that remain (and there are likely to be some!) are all my own fault. I hope that this is of some use, even if I don't really solve the mystery of the location of the 1801 garden. May you forever "Preserve that which is precious". Rebecca, 14th May 2016".

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

large box spanner #2 cast; socket for extension. Shows screw marks from casting

Inscriptions & Markings

W E CARY LTD

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double ended (large/small) # 209 stamp. Has had welded repair on large end

Inscriptions & Markings

209 SHELDON AXLE COMPANY

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Box spanner for wire wheels; tapered handle, hanging loop other end to spanner. surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

Wire Wheel Corp of America Buffalo NY B4-1005/H4.B4.CB4.CB4 5 A

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Square box spanner with hanging loop at other end. Tapered box. Rust and pitting

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blacksmith made from bar stock with collar extension piece added on

Inscriptions & Markings

1 1/2

Brace and auger bit for fencing

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bit bolted on and held with hook. Brace probably blacksmith made. Bit commercially made. May have been used vertically. Surface pitted.

Branding Iron

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Branding iron with initials SA for Samuel Amess. Surface rust, pitted surface.

Bread and butter plate 3 of 3

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Plate with gold border at rim and gold inner circle. 5 swallows and 3 stylised birds hand-painted by Margaret Amess.

Historical information

Margaret Amess was the youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess, who first purchased Churchill Island in 1872. Margaret Amess was renowned for her china painting.

Bridge Notebook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small lined notebook, with plstic removable cover with press tud fasten. Contains notes regarding 1959 bridge construction written by Harry Jenkins. Plastic cover navy blue colour.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates Harry Jenkins thorough and detailed approach to the maintenance of Churchill Island Farm and construction in the era.

Buck rake

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Timber buck rake, 6 prongs, metal fittings

Butter Churn

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted wooden box, with brass handle and wooden lid

Butter worker

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Belt driven wheel, timber, blue metal trims and circumference band

Inscriptions & Markings

The Alexandra. Maker T.Robinson & Co Ltd, Spotiswoode

Butter worker, 30lb capacity

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Timber with cast gearing, round butter worker

Historical information

Used at Chrchill Island,

Inscriptions & Markings

Cherry & Sons

Camisole

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace insertions; silk embroidery (NGV) silk net, machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (5)Packaged with note; "hand embroidered cotton camisole c 1870"

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

3 legged round camp oven with lid and 2 side handles. Pitted with rust.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale