From
Close

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214
Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

400 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (324) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (3)
View As Grid List

400 items

Coolgardie type meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pale green enamelled meat safe fitted for Coolgardie curtains (not present) fittings and 3 sides for curtains. One internal shelf 1/2 way and base. Grids of holes square with cross shaped decoration to each grid. Some surface rust. Water reservoir on top.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PORTABLE PANTRY"

meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Painted pale green safe. Rectangular grid pattern of ventilation holes with circles of ventilation holes within the pattern. Surface rust patches. Water reservoir and wire hook added later on top. Internal trays bottom and 1/2 way. Door detached - hinges rusted away. No base apart from shelf. Hanger missing.

meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

painted pale yellow metal meat safe with square grid hold pattern for air flow. No internal shelves. Broken hanger hook. Catch no longer works. Re-painted from dark green. Raw galvanised base. Four feet, knobs top and bottom attached to rod at four corners. Pressed dome top.

ice chest

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wooden two door. Ice chest compartment door opens; bottom section nailed shut, unopenable. On Casters. Water tray missing. Ice compartment contains drain tray. Hole in base under ice tray. Pipe to drip tray (not visible). Cast hinges crystallising

stamp

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood based metal stamp

Historical information

Stamp made for stamping stationery 1982 Churchill Island

Inscriptions & Markings

"CHURCHILL ISLAND DEVELOPMENT 1982"

base glass bottle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

broken base of black glass bottle, heavy glass.

Historical information

Possibly found on one of the several 'tip sites' on Churchill Island

shells

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A variety of old and weathered shells stored in jar with label: "Original shells collected for paths by Sarah Rogers".

Historical information

Sarah and John Rogers were the second European inhabitants on Churchill Island with, and after the Pickersgills. Sarah laid out a garden and collected shells and shell grit to surface the garden paths. Possibly these are some of the shells she collected.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Original shells collected for paths by Sarah Rogers"

3D Viewer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood and glass viewer to give three dimensional image from two identical photos placed in slot at other end to eye pieces

Historical information

May have been used by Amess or Jenkins families?

section of drainage pipe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

section of terracotta drainage pipe, broken both ends.

Historical information

Possibly part of the dairy drainage from the Jeffery era, 1930s, when Churchill Island was a dairy farm

drainage pipe section

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Section of terracotta pipe used for drainage. Broken at both ends

Historical information

Possibly used for drainage of the dairy area during the Jeffery brothers time, 1930s, when Churchill Island was a dairy farm.

Chiming pendulum wall clock

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden cased pendulum clock with two decorative gold coloured glass panel inserts above the clock face, which has brass hands and white enamel background to blue painted numbers. Small hook and eye fastener on left hand side to open clock face. Two heavy iron pendulums - one larger than the other. Turn wooden decorations on top half of case.

Historical information

This clock was donated to the Phillip Island & District Historical Society Inc by Sister Margaret Campbell on her departure from Churchill Island where she lived for many years. The clock had been owned by the owner prior to Sr Campbell, Harry Jenkins, and had passed to Sr Campbell with the property when Harry died in 1963. The society committee was asked by its secretary Christine Grayden, also curator of Churchill Island, if the clock could be returned to display in Amess House, and they agreed. The donation form was signed on behalf of the PIDHS by committee member John Jansson.

Significance

The clock was originally located in Amess House Churchill Island from the 1930s to 1973 when it was given to the Phillip Island & District Historical Society, who donated it back to Churchill Island in 2016.

Model boat

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Model Lady Nelson ship modeltender - smaller life boat. Wood, cardboard. Three bench seats and stern seating. Clinker built. 3 sets rowlocks, no oars.

Historical information

The Lady Nelson was the first decked ship to enter Western Port in 1801 under the command of Lt James Grant. She returned later in the year under the command of Murray. She carried a gig and a smaller tender, of which this is a model.

Significance

The model ship and tender are as exact replications of the actual ship and boats as is possible to obtain through research, basic hull plans available and interpretation by the model builder.

Model Ship - Lady Nelson

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

1:24 scale model of the Lady Nelson (c.1801) made from cardboard, wood, cord, string, wool. Carvill Hull black ochre-yellow colour, brown timbers. Masts fawn with black trim and fittings. Lifeboat hull clinker built black and white. White inside, brown floor. Brown oars x 4. Tied onto Lady Nelson deck. LN flags: jack on stern gaff yard, and Royal Naval pennant on peak of rear mast.

Historical information

The Lady Nelson was the first decked ship to enter Western Port at the beginning of 1801, captained by Lt James Grant, who named Churchill Island after a man in Dawlish, Devon who gave him a quantity of a variety of seeds, including wheat, which he sowed on CI. Lady Nelson returned at the end of the year under the command of Murray, who reported that most of the seeds had grown. He harvested the wheat to feed to the swans they had on board for fresh meat. Friends of Churchill Island Society commissioned the building of the model ship from David Lumsden, who built it for FOCIS for the cost of materials.

Significance

See historical information for the significance of the Lady Nelson to Churchill Island.

Inscriptions & Markings

"LADY NELSON" on stern white lettering on black.

Pair gloves

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One pair tan ladies pigskin gloves. Three lines of stitched decoration on back of both gloves

Historical information

Belonged to CIHF volunteer Jeff Cole's aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing

pair ladies gloves

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One pair dark brown rabbit skin (?) gloves. Scalloped, overlocked edge. Three "S" shaped stitching decorations with small punched holes along thumb side of stitching on each glove

Historical information

Belonged to Churchill Island Heritage Farm volunteer Jeff Cole's Aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing.

Inscriptions & Markings

CAPE LAMB (?)/ MURRAY GLOVES/6 1/2/ MADE IN AUSTRALIA stamped inside left glove. $15 hand written inside left glove. "721" stamped inside left glove. "20"stamped inside right glove.

mincing machine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated mincing machine, larger than usual, with multi small holed attachment in place. Tin plating worn off top edge of bell. Plan wooden handle. Stamped with name, number, etc.

Inscriptions & Markings

HUSQVARNA 10 one side; also on attachment holder. RELIANCE/MADE IN SWEDEN + five pointed star on other side. "H" stamped on crank inside.

hand shears

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

hand shears with single spring, surface rust, unused, unsharpened

Hand drill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand drill with red wheel, dark red paint remnants on handle

Inscriptions & Markings

BECON D129

wooden mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden mallet with turned grooves around head - 2 double and 1 single. Oak handle. Head has cream paint remnants both sides.

Scythe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

scythe with surface rust, no handle, good steel, rough welds on socket, hole for mounting handle (e.g. with screw)

Inscriptions & Markings

TROJAN/264

Fern hook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

fern hook with surface rust, but made from good steel. No handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PARKER CAST" image of feet in first ballet position, with No 6 under left foot. "1281"

Book - thesis - "A History of Churchill Island Settlement, Land Use and the Making of a Heritage Site"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A4 book, green hardback cover. Double sided print; b& w photos and maps

Significance

Dr Sanders's thesis outlines the various owners/occupiers of Churchill Island from 1850-1929. She describes the process of her research and collaboration with various parties in the process of developing her thesis.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Friends of Churchill Island Society past, present and future. Many thanks for your friendship and support. I could not have finished without you. The errors that remain (and there are likely to be some!) are all my own fault. I hope that this is of some use, even if I don't really solve the mystery of the location of the 1801 garden. May you forever "Preserve that which is precious". Rebecca, 14th May 2016".

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

oval shaped camp oven with swinging handle on body. Lid with D handle on top. Lip handle on one side of rim. Surface rust. Corrosion on edge of lid.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

Inscriptions & Markings

CLARKE AND CO. With name there is a diamond cartouche with a tower and drawbridge and flag on top, "I" and "J" either side of tower. 4G under (four gallons)

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

3 legged round camp oven with lid and 2 side handles. Pitted with rust.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

Trewhella jack

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

combination of commercially manufactured body and blacksmith made handle

Historical information

Used in conjunction with wood cutting/splitting tools previously donated by Wilfred Dungan

Inscriptions & Markings

WALLABY TREWHELLA BROS PTY LTD TRENTHAM AUSTRALIA

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

one of three wedges cut from the same piece of steel. No relief grooves

Historical information

Use in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One of three wedges cut from one piece of steel. Blacksmith made.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

one of three wedges cut from one piece of steel. No relief grooves.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

blacksmith made; hand-hammered relief groove. Well used - top mushroomed out.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

blacksmith made steel wedge with irregular relief groove; surface rust

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

small wedge with substantial chip out of narrow end. Relief groove

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan.

Inscriptions & Markings

HYTEST FORGED TOOLS

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood splitting wedge; commercially made; steel; relief groove; surface rust

Historical information

Used with other wood cutting/splitting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood splitting wedge; commercially made; steel; surface rust; with relief groove

Historical information

Used with other wood cutting/splitting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan.

WEDGE

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Timber splitting wedge; steel; commercially made; has relief groove.

Historical information

Used at Olinda and Shady Creek for timber clearing. Belongs with cross cut saws and Trewhella jack also donated.

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood cutting/splitting wedge. Steel. commercially made. Has relief groove.

Historical information

Used by the donor in clearing timber at Olinda and Shady Creek, Victoria. Forms part of a timber clearing tool collection including cross cut saws and Trewhella jack.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Trojan" on side

SICKLE

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Right handed sickle. Blade painted black. Handle varnished

Sickle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Left handed sickle. Blade painted black; handle varnished. Metal ferrule on handle. Hook on blade at handle end

Inscriptions & Markings

B?RADE? BRADER OZ?

Hand Shears

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Spring double handled hand shears for shearing sheep.

Inscriptions & Markings

"HIND'S PATENT DOUBLE HOLLOW GROUND BURGAN AND BALL PATENT NO. 294 (inside a shield with a crown on top) MADE IN ENGLAND"

Thread cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Thread cutter with two handles. Adjusting screw inside jaw

Inscriptions & Markings

"V" punched in. Die: "7/16 V"

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast iron. Thick. Drill mark on handle and various strike marks.

Inscriptions & Markings

"7/8"

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Badly rusted. Thin metal. Probably came with a tool kit for a particular piece of machinery

Stilsons

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Adjustable pipe wrench. Thread works. Surface rust, black finish. Commercial manufacture

adjustable wrench

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast jaws on rod. Handmade. Jaws badly warped. Surface rust and paint spots

adjustable wrench

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

twist design on handle; jaws bent out of shape and worn. Hand-made

Auger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

8 twists in the steel auger with cast iron chuck fused.

Inscriptions & Markings

Chuck: "2" Auger "16" "IRWIN MADE IN USA"

Fern hook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Curved blade, painted black. Wooden limb handle, varnished, some white paint spots. Nail into handle in blade holder sleeve. Slight bulge in handle near blade holder

Historical information

Donated by Wilfred Dungan on behalf of the Dungan family Collection originally used on the property of the late Dr Rae Dungan in Falls Creek Rd Olinda, purchased in the late 1930s from Olinda pioneers Harry and Minnie Holden. Also on the property of late May Farndon of Farndon’s and Falls Rd Mt Dandenong – aunt of Dr Rae William Dungan and also an early pioneer. Family holidays and weekends involved use of these sorts of farm implements plus working with horses. Post-war, the Olinda hand tools and machinery moved to the Shady Creek, Nilma North area where bush, pasture and cows had replaced the Olinda property. Wilfred well remembers being on one end of the crosscut saws cutting fence posts, logs and timber under “the tireless and vocal instruction” of a red headed local Darnum Rd legend called Harry Collyer. “He drove an old Rugby car and nearly pulled me through the logs with every cut!”

Mortice axe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Modern handle. Blacksmith made. some pitting.

Inscriptions & Markings

Long V decoration along head.

Ring Spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Octagonal ring spanner to go with Essex car, therefore to go with milk cart wheels, see cat # 0158

Auger bits X 13

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

spoon drill bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For use with woods that splinter. Paint spots. For use in auger.

Inscriptions & Markings

14.5 cm long: NEUMANS GERMANY