Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Petticoat

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
petticoat
garment
clothing
machine
braid
crotchet

Machine braid joined with hand ? or machine ? crochet chain joining (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Wedding petticoat. Hand crocheted. Handmade button holes. Pure cotton. Machined waist band".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single furrow mould board plough

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
soil cultivation
mouldboard plough
horse drawn

Single furrow mould board plough, green metal, unpainted wood

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Driving shaft

Key words

farm machinery
shearing
driving shaft
machine driven
wool

Overhead driving shaft with 3 wheels for shearing machines

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Milk separator

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
dairy equipment
milk
cream
separator
hand operated

Silver bowl with red base; some suface rust

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cream Separator

Key words

farm machinery
dairy equipment
milk
cream
separator
hand operated

Metal cream separator mounted on red base with bowl, double spouts.

Inscriptions & Markings

Alfa Laval

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece trim

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess
machine
embroidery

Machine embroidered (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Newspaper Cuttings and Small Print - Margaret Caffyn (Stott)

Key words

churchill island
summerfield
auction
sister margaret campbell
samuel amess
shenandoah

Small print of east side Amess House "Summerfield House", 6 newspaper cuttings re: Churchill Island and 1 re: Shenandoah and book review "Rebel Down Under" 1970s. List attached to catalogue sheet.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Handwritten notes on paper - Cow milking amounts and content

Key words

cow milking amount
cow milk butter fat
churchill island
harry jenkins

Handwritten notes in pencil on paper for evening and morning milkings amount and butter fat content for eight cows. Dated 10th August 1944. Assumed author Harry Jenkins.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Butter worker, 30lb capacity

Key words

farm machinery
dairy
butter
butter worker
hand operated

Timber with cast gearing, round butter worker

Historical information

Used at Chrchill Island,

Inscriptions & Markings

Cherry & Sons

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

French Buttons

Key words

crochet
lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
buttons
french
handmade

Hand made French crochet buttons on original card (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wire strainer

Key words

wire
strainer
tool
tools
farm
farming
churchill island

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Periodical - The Australian Farm & Home, VOL. LI No. 4

Key words

the australian farm & home
journal of the royal agricultural society of victoria
the churchill stud
dairy shorthorn
capt. e.w. dixon
harry jenkins
churchill island

Paper periodical publication 'The Australian Farm & Home', Journal of The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria, VOL. LI-No.4, April 30, 1942, containing an article 'The Churchill Stud' by Capt. E.W. Dixon

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

Demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and involvement in farming and cattle.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Mrs. Jenkins' [front page, left hand side], 'Printed Matter Only. Mr. Ted Jenkins, Churchill Island via Newhaven', [back cover, left hand side]

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Moulding plane

Key words

plane
moulding plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools

Oak body, rosewood base, steel blade and brass base. Some paint spots. (Doesn't need handle).

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger

8 twists in the steel auger with cast iron chuck fused.

Inscriptions & Markings

Chuck: "2" Auger "16" "IRWIN MADE IN USA"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

lace collar

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess
collar
garment
clothing
maltese
bobbin
handmade
plaited
bedfordshire cluny

Maltese bobbin (NGV) Bedfordshire Cluny style hand made plaited lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Seal fur strip

Key words

seal
fur
janet
frances
jane
amess
churchill island

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis. Keywords janet amess lace collection; lace; churchill island Statement of Significance

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Paper Statement re Estate, carbon copy of 0212.1

Key words

mrs. anna hannah gahan
alice gahan
alice jenkins
harry jenkins
churchill island
jenkins
farm
gahan
statement

Paper document, Final Statement re Estate of late Mrs Anna Hannah Gahan, relative of the wife of Harry Jenkins, Alice (nee Gahan). Carbon copy of item 0212.1

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

Demonstrates values and costs of era.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Baby's bonnet

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
baby
bonnet
amess
clothing

Machine lace. Can display with calico cushion inside. Wash calico first. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Brace and auger bit for fencing

Key words

auger
fencing
brace
blacksmith
tool
tools
farm
farming
churchill island

Bit bolted on and held with hook. Brace probably blacksmith made. Bit commercially made. May have been used vertically. Surface pitted.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Book - thesis - "A History of Churchill Island Settlement, Land Use and the Making of a Heritage Site"

Key words

churchill island
thesis
land use
settlement
heritage site
dr e rebecca sanders

A4 book, green hardback cover. Double sided print; b& w photos and maps

Significance

Dr Sanders's thesis outlines the various owners/occupiers of Churchill Island from 1850-1929. She describes the process of her research and collaboration with various parties in the process of developing her thesis.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Friends of Churchill Island Society past, present and future. Many thanks for your friendship and support. I could not have finished without you. The errors that remain (and there are likely to be some!) are all my own fault. I hope that this is of some use, even if I don't really solve the mystery of the location of the 1801 garden. May you forever "Preserve that which is precious". Rebecca, 14th May 2016".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand Auger

Key words

hand auger
auger
churchill island
farm
woodworking
woodwork
tools

Auger for working wood

Historical information

Alexander Mathieson & Sons Ltd ('& Sons', after c. 1890), of the Saracen Tool Works, Glasgow, advertised as 'manufacturers of planes, mechanical, engineering and edge-tools'. They received 'prize medals' at the London, Melbourne and Edinburgh International Exhibitions of 1851, 1862, 1880 and 1886, in their 'quest for perfection in tools'. Mathieson's vast output included specialised craft implements for coopers, ship's carpenters, tinsmiths and wheelwrights. The firm originated when master plane-maker John Manners opened premises in Saracen Lane, Glasgow, in 1792. 4 Alexander Mathieson (c. 1797–1852) took over his business in 1821, which he gave as the foundation date of his firm. He was later succeeded by his son, Thomas A. Mathieson (1822–1899), a prominent Glasgow magistrate and preceptor of Hutcheson's Hospital charitable institution. In 1854, Mathiesons moved to East Campbell Street, and had opened branches in Edinburgh, Dundee and Liverpool by 1876. The third generation comprised Thomas O. and James H. Mathieson (born 1867), the latter being a Glasgow bailie (councillor), whose estate totalled an enormous £150,939 in 1926. Mathieson's hand- and small machine-tools (e.g. bandsaws and beading machines) were exported worldwide, especially their 'heavy duty auger bits used... for boring railway sleepers'.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mathieson Glasgow (crescent moon trade mark) 2 1/4 " bore

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stilsons

Adjustable pipe wrench. Thread works. Surface rust, black finish. Commercial manufacture

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double furrow mould board plough

Key words

farm machinery
soil cultivation
mouldboard plough
horse drawn

Double furrow moud board plough, two wheels front, one rear, painted brown

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

mallet

Key words

mallet
woodwork
carpenter's tools

Rough sawn replacement handle. Block has 2 rivets right through block on either side of handle. Chunk out of block on one side.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper Report, typed, 2 pages - Report on Visit to Property Owned Report On visit to Property Owned by Mr. H. Jenkins

Key words

churchill island
farm
harry jenkins
farm management

Report on visit to property owned by Mr. H. Jenkins, Churchill Island, regarding stock, pastures, crops, and recommendations, written by A.C.T. Hewitt on his visit to Churchill Island on 17.4.1942. Report enclosed with letter dated 1st May 1942 [Item Registration No. 0230]

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973

Significance

The report demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming and provides information on farming in the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

"under present conditions' [end 7th paragraph, 2nd page]

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
machine
embroidery

Machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
machine

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Amess Family Tree

Key words

amess family
family history
genealogy

30pp starting with Samuel Amess b. 1730 m. Elizabeth (Annison) 26/12/1750 at St Michael and All Angel's, Barton Turf, Norfolk, England - Jaxon Charles Doherty, 11th generation b. 7/10/2012. Plastic comb binding. Black and white. Compiled by Geoff Collier.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Farm diary

Key words

churchill island
harry jenkins
farming history
diary

Diary of farm activity

Historical information

Diary of farm activities

Significance

Contributes to history of heritage farm

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Sulky wheel right

Key words

farm machinery
wheel
horse drawn vehicle
sulky
churchill island

Pair of matching black sulky wheels with red hubs

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven