Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Scoop

Key words

scoop
churchill island

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Crochet square

Key words

crochet
churchill island
janet amess
lace collection
lace

Hand Crochet (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stationary baler

Key words

farm
machinery
hay
chaff
baler
horse drawn
machine driven
churchill island

Unpainted, rusted, stationary baler

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hay rake

Key words

farm machinery
hay
chaff
hay rake
horse drawn

Burgundy hay rake, yellow wheels, double row of rakes.

Historical information

More modern than other rake in collection

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block plane

Key words

plane
block plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools

Wooden smoothing plane with handle. Adjustable via wedge. Borer holes in handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ward blade. Plane made by Mathieson & Son Glasgow Best Guaranteed.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

adjustable wrench

Cast jaws on rod. Handmade. Jaws badly warped. Surface rust and paint spots

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Book - thesis - "A History of Churchill Island Settlement, Land Use and the Making of a Heritage Site"

Key words

churchill island
thesis
land use
settlement
heritage site
dr e rebecca sanders

A4 book, green hardback cover. Double sided print; b& w photos and maps

Significance

Dr Sanders's thesis outlines the various owners/occupiers of Churchill Island from 1850-1929. She describes the process of her research and collaboration with various parties in the process of developing her thesis.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Friends of Churchill Island Society past, present and future. Many thanks for your friendship and support. I could not have finished without you. The errors that remain (and there are likely to be some!) are all my own fault. I hope that this is of some use, even if I don't really solve the mystery of the location of the 1801 garden. May you forever "Preserve that which is precious". Rebecca, 14th May 2016".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

mallet

Key words

mallet
hand tools

Block redgum; original hardwood handle. Paint stains. Well used. 2 screws in end of handle to spread handle so it doesn't fall off.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wagonette

Key words

farm machinery
horse drawn vehicles
wagonette

Black four wheeled wagonette

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Diamond harrows

Key words

farm machinery
harrowing
diamond harrows
tractor drawn

Diamond (spike) harrowswith chain, unpainted metal

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Coping plane

Key words

plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools
coping plane

Hand made from scrap wood. Hardwood - file has been converted to a blade for making inlays.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wagon wheel

Key words

farm machinery
wheel
horse drawn vehicle
wagon

Intact wagon wheel unpainted

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Greeting card

Key words

harry jenkins
jenkins
boer war
churchill island
ada
annie
trott
boer
card
communication
australian
soldier

Folded card with printed front cover, blank back page. Inside left is sepia photo stuck on showing "prisoners' camp cycle track Cape Town". Inside right page has three everlasting silver leaves. Centre leaf has hand painted three ostriches and a tree. Left leaf has handwritten " Loving greetings". Right leaf " To my dear Aunt". Red white and blue striped ribbon glued to base of centre leaf.

Historical information

Card was sent by Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island 1936-1963, to his aunt Ada Annie Trott in 1902 while he was serving in the Boer War. It shows prison camp in Cape Town.

Significance

Communication from Serving Australian soldier to family in Boer War.

Inscriptions & Markings

As for description. Stamped Jan 25 1902

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Sulky

Key words

farm
machinery
horse drawn
vehicle
sulky
churchill island

Restored sulky, 2 ton wheels, burgundy body and shafts, decorative aqua scroll work on rear, black springs, seat deteriorated.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

log splitting wedge

Key words

splitting
wedge
log
lumber
tool
tools
churchill island
farm

well used, slight surface rust. Octagonal shaft to collar then wedge. Top badly burred over from use.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Silver stop watch

Key words

churchill island
harry jenkins
jenkins
stopwatch
watch

Stop watch owned by Dr Harry Jenkins

Historical information

Owned by Dr Harry Jenkins

Significance

Part of small collection of personal items left by Harry Jenkins

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

cross cut saw

Two handled cross cut saw. One manufactured handle and one bush replacement wedged with three inch nail. 6 broken teeth. Rivets for handle broken off at home-made end. M shaped tooth profile.

Historical information

Donated by Wilfred Dungan on behalf of the Dungan family Collection originally used on the property of the late Dr Rae Dungan in Falls Creek Rd Olinda, purchased in the late 1930s from Olinda pioneers Harry and Minnie Holden. Also on the property of late May Farndon of Farndon’s and Falls Rd Mt Dandenong – aunt of Dr Rae William Dungan and also an early pioneer. Family holidays and weekends involved use of these sorts of farm implements plus working with horses. Post-war, the Olinda hand tools and machinery moved to the Shady Creek, Nilma North area where bush, pasture and cows had replaced the Olinda property. Wilfred well remembers being on one end of the crosscut saws cutting fence posts, logs and timber under “the tireless and vocal instruction” of a red headed local Darnum Rd legend called Harry Collyer. “He drove an old Rugby car and nearly pulled me through the logs with every cut!”

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

LACE TRIM

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
trim
amess

Lenth of lace trim with scalloped edge and straight selvedge edge, floral design on net ground. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand drill

Key words

hand drill
hand tools
wood working tools

Hand drill with red wheel, dark red paint remnants on handle

Inscriptions & Markings

BECON D129

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Engine

Key words

farm
machinery
stationary engine
crank
belt driven
engine
churchill island

Green petrol engine with red trim and crank handle. Attached to green grain grinder

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Panel of lace pieces x 8

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess

Cheap Torchon machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Scraps of lace found jumbled with this collection"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wedge

Key words

timber splitting
churchill island heritage farm
olinda
shady creek
wilfred dungan collection

wood splitting wedge; commercially made; steel; relief groove; surface rust

Historical information

Used with other wood cutting/splitting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Driving shaft

Key words

farm machinery
shearing
driving shaft
machine driven
wool

Overhead driving shaft with 3 wheels for shearing machines

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bag lifter

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
lifter

metal, surface rust, 2 arms with semi-circle lift at one end

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Iron Cot

Key words

woolamai house
cleeland family
cot

Cot painted cream with scrolled iron decorations on both sides and ends. Railing at sides but not enclosed.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fern hook

Key words

churchill island
fern hook
olinda
mount dandenong
nilma north

Curved blade, painted black. Wooden limb handle, varnished, some white paint spots. Nail into handle in blade holder sleeve. Slight bulge in handle near blade holder

Historical information

Donated by Wilfred Dungan on behalf of the Dungan family Collection originally used on the property of the late Dr Rae Dungan in Falls Creek Rd Olinda, purchased in the late 1930s from Olinda pioneers Harry and Minnie Holden. Also on the property of late May Farndon of Farndon’s and Falls Rd Mt Dandenong – aunt of Dr Rae William Dungan and also an early pioneer. Family holidays and weekends involved use of these sorts of farm implements plus working with horses. Post-war, the Olinda hand tools and machinery moved to the Shady Creek, Nilma North area where bush, pasture and cows had replaced the Olinda property. Wilfred well remembers being on one end of the crosscut saws cutting fence posts, logs and timber under “the tireless and vocal instruction” of a red headed local Darnum Rd legend called Harry Collyer. “He drove an old Rugby car and nearly pulled me through the logs with every cut!”

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Moulding plane

Key words

plane
moulding plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools

Angled blade. Elm? Steel blade. Shaped top of wedge. Circle may be what's left of trade mark. Part of a set. Paint spots.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block plane

Key words

block plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools
millers falls co

US elm base.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Millers Falls Warranted" on blade. "M.D.W" carved on side

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small crochet round pieces x 4

Key words

crochet
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
lace

Hand crochet (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wedge

Key words

timber splitting
churchill island heritage farm
olinda
shady creek

wood splitting wedge; commercially made; steel; surface rust; with relief groove

Historical information

Used with other wood cutting/splitting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven