Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Lace Piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess

Machine embroidered (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1.3.12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label stuck on one end "4 1/2"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stationary engine

Lister stationary engine, green

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Baby bonnet

Key words

crochet
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
baby
bonnet
amess
clothing

Strips of machine lace imitating bobbin lace; hand crocheted together. Crocheted rosettes. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note; "Hand crocheted silk lined baby's bonnet" Lace fabric rayon?

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Panel of lace pieces x 8

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess

Cheap Torchon machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Scraps of lace found jumbled with this collection"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Journal of Churchill Island farm expenditure 1941-2

Key words

churchill island
farming history
farm economics
farm activity
journal

Journal with red title print and red spine showing farm expenditure 1941-2.

Historical information

Record of farm expenditure, 1941-2 for Churchill Island farm owned by Harry Jenkins 1936-1963.

Significance

Shows historic farm activity on Churchill Island

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
amess
machine

Machine lace (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/2012) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Trim piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
churchill island
lace
trim
amess
barman
machine

Machine made, probably on a Barman (Swiss) machine. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

spanner

Key words

handmade
hand
made
spanner
open
churchill island
farm
tools
tool

hand-made open ended spanner; rusty

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Moulding plane

Key words

plane
moulding plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools

Angled blade. Elm? Steel blade. Shaped top of wedge. Circle may be what's left of trade mark. Part of a set. Paint spots.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

lace trim

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
trim
amess

Length of wide lace trim with dots on net ground and selvedge edge, other edge complex scallop. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

lace collar

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess

Linen Honiton mimic (NGV) hand made individual bobbin lace motifs hand sewn together with bobbin made brides (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Winnower

Key words

farm machinery
winnower
hand operated

Hand operated winnower with handle and hopper unpainted

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

mincing machine

Hand operated mincing machine, larger than usual, with multi small holed attachment in place. Tin plating worn off top edge of bell. Plan wooden handle. Stamped with name, number, etc.

Inscriptions & Markings

HUSQVARNA 10 one side; also on attachment holder. RELIANCE/MADE IN SWEDEN + five pointed star on other side. "H" stamped on crank inside.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Sickle

Key words

sickle
harvesting
churchill island heritage farm

Left handed sickle. Blade painted black; handle varnished. Metal ferrule on handle. Hook on blade at handle end

Inscriptions & Markings

B?RADE? BRADER OZ?

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Buck rake

Key words

farm machinery
hay
chaff
buck rake
horse drawn

Timber buck rake, 6 prongs, metal fittings

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger bits X 13

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stationary engine

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
stationary engine
belt driven

Blue green casing; two belt drive wheels; red wheels. Attached to green chaff cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Milk separator

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
dairy equipment
milk
cream
separator
hand operated

Silver bowl with red base; some suface rust

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Milking Machine Engine

Key words

farm machinery
dairy equipment
cow milking
machine driven
churchill island

Aqua engine case, surface rust, with driving wheels

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Two page newspaper spread - "200th Anniversary. And so the seed was sown..."

Key words

western port
churchill island
wheat
captain john murray
lady nelson

Information on Captain John Murray RN visiting Western Port in the "Lady Nelson" in December 1801 to discover the wheat and other crops sown by Lt. Grant's men earlier in the year. Also includes extracts from Capt. Murray's log book. Pp 14-15. Reverse pp 16-17 local news. From the Phillip Island and San Remo Advertiser.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

lace trim

Key words

churchill island
lace
jane amess
lace collection

Irish crochet handmade lace trim, ivory

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Photograph

Key words

churchill island
volunteer
butter making

Colour postcard size photo of volunteer Cherry McFee shaping butter after churning it in Amess House kitchen c. 1996.

Historical information

Cherry McFee was a long-term Churchill Island volunteer and FOCIS (Friends of Churchill Island Society) member.

Inscriptions & Markings

"CHERRY McFEE circa 1996 / Volunteer in the kitchen at Amess House - making butter. New Vols are always needed - and its a beautiful place to spend time. Vols meeting Tues 22 June - Come Along."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Newspaper double page spread - "The Isle of History..."

Key words

churchill island
mater plan
architecture
victorian conservation trust

pp. 36-37 of The Sun Friday August 13 1976. Text by Danny Gocs, 6 photos by Bill Tindale. Re: 13 architecture students and lecturer Lisle Rudolph sketching, measuring and recording buildings for Victorian Conservation Trust.

Inscriptions & Markings

Lead pencil tick at box "Pictures: Bill Tindale". Purple texta diagonal line in top left hand corner p. 36.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

SICKLE

Key words

sickle
harvesting
churchill island heritage farm

Right handed sickle. Blade painted black. Handle varnished

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand seeder

Key words

farm machinery
planting
seeder
hand operated

Unpainted metal hand seeder, one large wheel, surface rust

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
machine
embroidery

Machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Periodical - The Australian Farm & Home, VOL. LI No. 4

Key words

the australian farm & home
journal of the royal agricultural society of victoria
the churchill stud
dairy shorthorn
capt. e.w. dixon
harry jenkins
churchill island

Paper periodical publication 'The Australian Farm & Home', Journal of The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria, VOL. LI-No.4, April 30, 1942, containing an article 'The Churchill Stud' by Capt. E.W. Dixon

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

Demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and involvement in farming and cattle.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Mrs. Jenkins' [front page, left hand side], 'Printed Matter Only. Mr. Ted Jenkins, Churchill Island via Newhaven', [back cover, left hand side]

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wedge

Key words

timber splitting
churchill island heritage farm
olinda
shady creek

one of three wedges cut from the same piece of steel. No relief grooves

Historical information

Use in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper Licence Document - Motor Spirit Consumer's Special LIcence

Key words

motor spirit consumer's special licence
harry jenkins
jenkins
churchill island
cars
license
car

Paper Motor Spirit Consumer's Special LIcence issued by Commonwealth of Australia Liquid Fuel Control Board (Vic) to Edward H. Jenkins, Churchill Island via Newhaven, for International Tractor B. & P. Lighting Plant, Special Licence No. SP/33298, period 15/11/49 to 31/5/50

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates his interest in the farm and provides information on farming in the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

[stamped] RELIEF NO4; SAN REMO VIC 6FE50; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA: LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; LFOB CANCELLED VICTORIA; Ration Tickets may be drawn only at San Remo 9Post Office) [initialed] Authorising Officer 6-12-49 (Date) [front]

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Piece

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess

Machine embroidered (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven