Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Eltham District Historical Society Inc Eltham, Victoria

Eltham District Historical Society

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 137 Eltham Victoria 3095 (map)
phone
+61 0409 021 063

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only; contact edhsoffice@gmail.com

Location

728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Eltham District Historical Society currently holds material relating to the former Shire of Eltham, the boundaries of which now overlap with other local Historical Societies. The Society will collect research material (and in some cases items of historical significance) relating to the Eltham District (Eltham, Eltham North, Research, Kangaroo Ground, Montmorency, Briar Hill and Lower Plenty) but may also include material pertinent to the history of Victoria where relevant to the understanding of our local history including pre-European settlement. Themes included cover:

Local people
Domestic life
Working life
Education
Recreation, economic and social conditions
Art and culture
Births, deaths and marriages
Cemeteries
Townships, urban and rural development
Built environment
Natural environment
Local government
Local industry, services and transport
Monuments
Community groups and organisations

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

8493 items

Photograph - Shillinglaw Cottage, Eltham Common, 1985

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100N

Photograph - Montsalvat

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph of barn Montsalvat with savage bull sign

Photograph - Reconstruction of the corner of Bridge Street and Main Road, Eltham, during duplication works, 1968

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Roadworks for duplication of Main Road.

Photograph - Bruno, the man in charge of the road construction, Ryans Road, Eltham North, 1983

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Originally contained in a 'magnetic' photo album believed to have been donated by Mr Eric Stephenson, Jingalong, 110 Ryans Road, Eltham, Vic. 3095; relocated to archival safe storage.

Book - Victorian Municipal Directory 1914 published by Arnall & Jackson Pty. Ltd.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

xxiv, 743 pages ; 19 cm.

Historical information

Victorian municipal directory and Commonwealth and state guide and water supply record for 1914

Photograph - Bridge construction over the Diamond Creek, Charlber Lane, St Andrews, 3 August 1989

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA 100 5095

Photograph - Montmorency. Top of Were Street, 1952.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Historical information

Source: Mrs. Dandy, Montmorency, via Shire of Eltham Photos shows three children with an elephant

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Photograph - Building development, 1985

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Looking from rear of 2 Long Valley Way across to No. 3. Shire of Eltham Archives Series 13, Photograph Album, 1985. Originally contained in a 2-ring PVC binder and document sleeves

Photograph - Shire of Eltham display at the 1987 Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GB 200 5096

Photograph - ELTHAM ARBOR DAY 1973 - Alistair Knox with school children of the Shire of Eltham, Vic, planting native trees in the Town Park, 10 October 1973

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph

Historical information

ELTHAM - ARBOR DAY, 10 Oct 1973. School children of the Shire of Eltham planting trees (previously planned to take place during the visit of Sir Rohan Delacombe to the Shire on 19th September, 1973 but cancelled that day due to inclement weather). REF: 783 SOURCE: Shire of Eltham (Eltham District Historical Society) Eltham Town Park would later be renamed Alistair Knox Park

Photograph - Diamond Creek floodwaters near the Main Road Bridge, Eltham, Jan-Feb 2005

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GC400-8

Photograph - Industrial development, Para Road, Briar Hill, c.1984

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Historical information

Views of industrial sites and shop fronts on Para Road, Briar Hill including the business 'Greensborough Motorcycles'. Para Road, Briar Hill is parallel to the Hurstbridge Railway Line. The building 'Greensborough Motorcycles' was destroyed by fire in the early 2000s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CP 100 5094

Photograph - Cooks Cottage, Arthur Street, Eltham, c.1940s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Sepia photograph of Ernie Andrews house, Arthur Street, Eltham c.1940s (now Safeway carpark)

Inscriptions & Markings

Site: Arthur Street, Eltham Now: Part of Woolworths, formerly Safeways Car Park Was: Known as Cooks Cottage Owner: Ernie Andrews, died 1950. House was demolished early 1950s See also: 00183

Photograph - Looking west across the new bridge construction across the Plenty River from the eastern side; Greensborough Bypass construction, c.1986

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph originally located in a magnetic style album titled 'Greensborough Bypass 1990s 5' suffering significant degradation. No information contained in album or on reverse of photos except where noted. Relocated to archival photosafe storage.

Historical information

Shows the service access road on the hill side which would later be cut away to provide the connection to the Northern Ring Road which was opened in April 1994.

Photograph - 89 Pitt Street, Eltham, c. June 1999

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photographic print

Significance

The Margaret Ball (Pre 1960s Houses) Collection was a personal project initiated to mark the year 2000 and arose as a result of the disappearance of many pre-1960s parts of Eltham due to development. Approximately 200 pre-1960s style houses that were left in Eltham between Main Road and east to Bible Street, between Cecil Street to the north and south to Dalton Street were photographed in late 1999. Not all of the houses could be photographed; some because the garden or trees blocked the view of the house, others because of rubbish or cars were in the way, some because people were working on the house or in the gardens at the time.

Photograph - View from Breakneck, Yarra Glen, 27 August 2016

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - Brougham Street, Eltham, early 1980s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph from 32 Brougham Street, prior to surfacing of the road in the early 1980s

Photograph - Construction of fire access on Gumtree Road, Research, by Army Reserve Engineers under command of Captain Bill Oakley, c.1966

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file only; created from original colour positive slide transparency

Historical information

Bill Oakley was an engineer at the Shire of Eltham. Bill Oakley indicating the rough span of the proposed bridge.

Photograph - Toadstool, Eltham Lower Park, 23 June 2013

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - Thomas Sweeney and family grave, Eltham Cemetery

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 2 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CP 100 5094

Book - Connecting Threads & Thoughts produced by The Creating Spirit Group

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Softcover

Historical information

This book collates the memories and stories behind the needlepoint kneelers from St Margaret's Anglican Church, Eltham and St Faith's Anglican Church, Montmorency. Contents include: The building of the two churches- how the kneelers were made - the stories of the kneeler makers - the kneelers (photographs and descriptions). The names of the creators of the kneelers include: Marjorie Taylor, Barbara Talbot, Molly Hennessey, Margaret and Ivy Reynolds, Jacquie Weekes and Ivian Gilbert

Significance

This book is significant for the culmination of research on the contribution of women in particular to the life of the Anglican Church communities of Eltham and Montmorency in the 1980s.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 978066911076 [printed on sticker on title page] Presented on 30 March 2014 to: Eltham District Historical Society by the Creating Spirit group from St Margaret's Church Eltham

Photograph - Cnr Bolton and Brougham Street, Eltham, June 2004

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Six colour photographs

Photograph - Panton Hill Store near the intersection of Merritts Road and Kangaroo Ground-St Andrews Road, Panton Hill, c. Oct 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Date based on other similar display panels visible in images of the Shire of Eltham display at the Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987.

Photograph - Opening Ceremony of Local History Centre, 728 Main Road, Eltham, 12 July 1998

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

The new home of Eltham District Historical Society

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-6

Photograph - Tree roots in main stormwater drain, Eltham Shire Council maintenance works, Lower Plenty, c.1989

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - Writing the War exhibition, Eltham Library, 10 August 2016

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Folder - Thomas Haines

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Folder of information on Thomas Haines, Smiths Gully, 1862

Photograph - McDonalds Restaurant, cnr Bridge Street and Bolton Street, Eltham, during Bolton Street upgrade, 13 November, 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

North bound lane closure

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 232 February 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • 1967 - A Year of Change by Jim Connor • Our Next Meeting - Wednesday 8th February (Trivia Night) • Open Day at Our Local History Centre - Saturday 4th March • The Shillinglaw Legacy by Russell Yeoman • Eltham District Historical Society by Jim Connor • Eltham Racecourse by Brian Membrey • The Eltham Report 1856 • 2017 Program • Victorian Collections • ... and also • Contacts for the Eltham District Historical Society

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Photograph - Reynolds Road, Research and the power transmission line easement running between Diosma Road and Main Road, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CL 200 5093

Photograph - Fitzsimons Lane Bridge, c.1970

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file only; created from original colour positive slide transparency

Historical information

New Fitzsimons Lane Bridge prior to duplication

Photograph - View of Melbourne city from Pretty Sally Hill, Wallan, 1998

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips Also photographic prints 10 x 15 cm

Significance

Probably taken in January 1998 on a sight-seeing excursion when the Society hosted visitors Margaret Taylor and Clifford Crate from the Eltham Society in Eltham, England.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-6

Photograph - North bound traffic routed up Main Road during Bolton Street upgrade, Eltham, 13 November, 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Photograph - Long Gully and environs, Watsons Creek catchment, 23 March 1981

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs

Photograph - St. Katherine's Church, St. Helena, Vic.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Historical information

Located at 277-279 St Helena Road Saint Helena, Victoria. In 1841 Anthony Beale, born on the Island if St Helena took a pastoral lease on the Plenty River where he built a cottage, St Helena, which ultimately gave this area its name. Beale's wife Katherine Rose, nee Young died in 1856 and he erected "The rose Chapel" to her memory. After his death in 1865 the chapel was willed to the Church of England and consecrated in 1876. It was severely damaged by bushfire in 1957. It was fully restored and rededicated in November 1957. The bell calls parishoners to Sunday services is believed to a have come from the Island of St Helena. Source: Mr. A.E. Parsons, Pryor St., Eltham (Mrs. Glasgow - daughter)

Significance

Statement of Significance Last updated on - October 10, 2005 St Helena's is a rare surviving example of a churchyard cemetery. It is of local historical significance because of its association with the local pioneering family, the Beales, and other notable citizens including Walter Withers and Graham Webster. The cemetery is also the oldest in the municipality, of State significance. The high level of maintenance and the rural ambience contribute to the overall significance of the site. St Katherine's Church building has been reconstructed and is of local historical interest, principally for its value in interpreting the original setting within the Cemetery. It contains stained glass windows of local historical significance, commemorating casualties of the Beale family in World War One. - Victorian Heritage Database This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Inscriptions & Markings

"St Katherine's Church, St Helena, Victoria"

Photograph - Paving course at the childcare co-op run by Eltham Living and Learning Centre, c.1982-1986

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 24 shots

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Safety Film 5035

Photograph - Donaldson's Oak, Donaldsons Road, Kangaroo Ground, c.1967

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour Polaroid photograph

Historical information

Quercus Robur (English Oak) - Was planted by John Donaldson from seed collected from Windsor Great Park in 1878. Used for the Society's Banner project Joy Ness "View Hill" Kangaroo Ground June 11th 1986 In 1878 while on a trip to Scotland and England, John Donaldson visited Windsor Castle Park, where he collected some acorns which he brought back to Australia, to his property, "Kangaroo Hall" at Kangaroo Ground. He and his son John Anstruther Davidson Donaldson, who was then 10 years old, planted one near the present Donaldsons Lane, in 1878. This is now a very fine tree, 108 years old. This information comes from Miss Victoria Donaldson, daughter of John Anstruther Davidson Donaldson. Miss Donaldson suggests that "Wippell's Oak" at Kangaroo Ground may also have been grown from one of the same Windsor Park acorns.

Folder - Nancy Badger

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Folder of information on Nancy Badger, Eltham, died 1985

Photograph - Eltham Living and Learning Centre, 21st Anniversary Celebrations, 1996

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 10 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-6

Folder - James Holinger

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Folder of information on James Holinger, Panton Hill, 1901

Photograph - Tree Planting, Hurstbridge Primary School students, Fergusons Paddock, Hurstbridge, c.1999

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - Plenty River at Lower Plenty

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Two black and white photographs (enlarged copies) from land sales brochure of Plenty River at Lower Plenty

Photograph - Believed to be in the region of Cleveland Avenue, Lower Plenty, c.1980s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodacolor II

Folder - Leslie Edward Clarke and Thomas Clarke

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Folder of information on Leslie Edward Clarke and Thomas Clarke, councillors.

Photograph - Eltham Living and Learning Centre, c.March 1994

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 1 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak 100

Photograph - Alistair Knox designed mudbrick home, rural area Nillumbik

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 10 strips

Historical information

Designed by Alistair Knox

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-6

Photograph - Kinglake National Park; view from the Mountain Trail.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Historical information

Source: Mrs. McMinn, Kinglake.

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Photograph - Kangaroo Ground-Warrandyte Road, North Warrandyte, c.1988

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

Looking southeast, Kruses Road on left.

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Photograph - Wattletree Road railway crossing, Eltham, February 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Newsclipping - A haven for tranquillity, 3 Hillcrest Avenue, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Newspaper clipping promoting house auction

Historical information

Contained in Volume 1 of a set of two spiral magnetic photo albums, each containing 10 leaves, 20 pages; Vol. 1 labelled "Houses - Eltham South" and Vol. 2 labelled "Eltham Houses".