Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Eltham District Historical Society Inc Eltham, Victoria

Eltham District Historical Society

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 137 Eltham Victoria 3095 (map)
phone
+61 0409 021 063

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only; contact edhsoffice@gmail.com

Location

728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Eltham District Historical Society currently holds material relating to the former Shire of Eltham, the boundaries of which now overlap with other local Historical Societies. The Society will collect research material (and in some cases items of historical significance) relating to the Eltham District (Eltham, Eltham North, Research, Kangaroo Ground, Montmorency, Briar Hill and Lower Plenty) but may also include material pertinent to the history of Victoria where relevant to the understanding of our local history including pre-European settlement. Themes included cover:

Local people
Domestic life
Working life
Education
Recreation, economic and social conditions
Art and culture
Births, deaths and marriages
Cemeteries
Townships, urban and rural development
Built environment
Natural environment
Local government
Local industry, services and transport
Monuments
Community groups and organisations

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

8493 items

no image

Folder - Thomas Hunniford

Key words

thomas hunniford

Folder of information on Thomas Hunniford, Postmaster, Eltham, 1850s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

no image

Folder - Maurie Earl

Key words

maurie earl
patrick kierce
samuel cameron
william cameron
abraham taylor
thomas cameron

Folder of information on Maurie Earl, New Zealand and ancestors,

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Maroondah Reservoir, 17 Feb 1991

Key words

maroondah dam
maroondah aqueduct
maroondah reservoir

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Brougham Street Bridge, Eltham

Key words

eltham
infrastructure
shire of eltham infrastructure
bridge
brougham steet bridge

Black and white photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Mud brick cubby house beside Maroondah Aqueduct near Ingrams Road, Research, 1991

Key words

maroondah aqueduct
ingrams road

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Diamond Valley Railway, Eltham Festival Parade, 16 October 1982

Key words

main road
eltham festival
eltham
eltham parade
festivals
parade
parade floats
1982
diamond valley railway

Colour photograph

Historical information

[article in EDHS Newsletter No. 27, November 1982:] 1982: 16-17 October. “Pioneers of Eltham” and tractor (rain). Although our parade entry did not win a prize this year, it was considered highly successful from a participation point of view. Despite some uncertainty as to just who was coming, members and friends kept appearing at the assembly area. As in the past years our friends from the Victorian Folk Music Club brought their instruments along and really added to the occasion. This year we concentrated on a rural theme with a tractor/trailer combination. Thanks to Peter Bassett-Smith for the tractor, Joh Ebeli for the decorations and friendly trailer owner Dennis McKay. Unfortunately the closing stages of the parade were marred by heavy rain. We just finished as the rain started but members scattered very quickly. This has prompted the suggestion for future parades that we have a tent or other suitable venue for members to gather after the event. This is worth following up. The cold driving rain provided a special problem for Peter in driving his tractor home to Kangaroo Ground. Have you ever had to choose between standing up to warm your hands on the exhaust and having your tractor seat flooded? Certificate, Festival Parade Award, Rotary Club of Eltham, Eighth Eltham Community Festival 1982: Presented to the Shire of Eltham Historical Society for the most effort by "locals".

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Train passing over the Sherbourne Road railway bridge

Key words

railway bridge
sherbourne road
train
streets

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk, 3 May 2014

Key words

heritage excursion
activities
eltham district historical society
eltham railway station
eltham library
trestle bridge

Born Digital

Historical information

Newsletter No. 216, May 2014 May Excursion – The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk The railway from Heidelberg to Eltham was opened in 1902. Over the previous year railway construction cut a curving swathe through Josiah Holloway’s 1851 Little Eltham subdivision. The survey plans for the railway show the owners and occupiers of land within Little Eltham affected by the railway alignment and for some distance each side. The plans show houses and other buildings but development at that time was rather sparse. Copies of these plans from the State Library of Victoria collection have been provided to the Society by Alan Sheehan. For our walk on 3rd May we intend to follow the railway from the Eltham Station to Ryans Road, which was the boundary of the adjoining Montmorency Farm. The return will be by way of nearby streets. Along the way we will discuss the details shown on the railway plans as well as more recent railway documents and photographs. At the conclusion and if time permits we can inspect the historical display at the Eltham Station. The walk is about 3 km in length and will take about 2.5 hours. It will start at 2 pm at the Eltham Railway Station car park (east/Main Road side) (Melway Ref. 21 J5).

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Old railway bridge at Silver Street, Eltham

Key words

railways
bridges
silver street
eltham

Colour photograph of demolition of old railway bridge at Silver Street, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Dedication of new Avenue of Honour Memorial, Main Road, Eltham, 2 June 2015

Key words

avenue of honour
war memorials
plaques
main road
eltham

Born Digital

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Diamond Creek floodwaters, Eltham, Jan-Feb 2005

Key words

diamond creek
eltham
floods

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GC400-8

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Eltham Community Festival Parade, 12 November 1988

Key words

eltham festival
shire of eltham historical society
1988
central park

Colour photograph

Historical information

[from a contemporary report:] In 1988 the assembly point for the Parade changed from previous years from Cecil Street to Youth Road behind the Eltham Station for the start of the parade at 12.00. The Shire of Eltham Historical Society's float in the Eltham Community Festival Parade won the award for the best display for the second year running. We received a trophy donated by the Billabong Family Bistro, Lower Plenty. The theme of the float was the Eltham Bush Nursing Hospital. The float was prepared by Bruce Ness with some help from other members. A number of members contributed with costumes and other props. Hospital equipment was kindly loaned by the Judge Book Village and in what has become something of a tradition, members of the Victorian Folk Music Club accompanied the Society for the Parade. Their music was again a welcome addition to the float.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Maroondah Aqueduct, Yarra Glen, 1991

Key words

maroondah aqueduct
yarra glen

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Mudbrick house, possibly St Andrews area, c. Feb 2002

Key words

mudbrick
st andrews
houses

Colour print 10 x 15 cm

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Card - Greensborough Masonic Lodge Third Annual Ball, Eltham Shire Hall, 1949

Key words

greensborough
masonic lodge

Greensborough Masonic Lodge Third Annual Ball Eltham Shire Hall Thursday September 8th 1949 First Class Orchestra Admission 5/- F.W. Squire, W.M. G.L. Joyce, Soc. Sec.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photo Album page - Photo Album Eltham Christian School, Nyora Road, Eltham, 1981-1984

Key words

eltham christian school
nyora road

page from magnetic photo album with photographs and captions

Historical information

The Stokes family settled in this area of Eltham in the 1940s and were associated with the Eltham Christian Church. In the 1970s this church had met in temporary premises in Eltham. Lots of the original 1920s subdivision remained south of Nyora Road and a number of these lots were utilized for the Eltham Christian School, which was established by the Eltham Christian Church in 1981. The school operated on this site until 2000. The premises were owned by the Nillumbik Community Church who were in operation till November 2010 when the Eltham Baptist Church commenced a lease arrangement until the site was purchased by them in April 2012. The building is constructed of brick and timber with a balcony on two sides that looks over an expanse of grass. Sources: STOKES ORCHARD – AN INCOMPLETE HISTORY February 28, 2015 http://www.elthamhistory.org.au/ Australian Christian Church Histories - Eltham Baptist Church http://www.churchhistories.net.au/church-catalog/eltham-vic-baptist/ From an album featuring a series of photographs (some cropped) from a magnetic photo album relating to the staff, students and activities of the Eltham Christian School which operated as part of the Eltham Christian Church at Nyora Road, Eltham. See also entries for each photograph.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

no image

Folder - Reverend George Langhorne

Key words

reverend george langhorne

Folder of information on Reverend George Langhorne, Yarra Mission 1830s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Shire Offices, 1985-1986

Key words

series 13
shire of eltham archives
eltham shire office

Ten colour photographs

Historical information

Shire of Eltham Archives Series 13, Photograph Album, 1985. Originally contained in a 2-ring PVC binder and document sleeves

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - 51 Alma Street, Lower Plenty, c.July 1967

Key words

alma street
lower plenty
houses
streets

Black and white photograph

Historical information

Packaged in "Filmpro King Size prints Definitely Better EST. 1918" envelope. Pencil notes: 36 shots $2.87 Eltham Shire J. McD and 19/7/67. Alma Street and Kett Street Lower Plenty c.July 1967.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Main Road, Eltham, between Arthur Street and Dudley Street, 4 January 1968

Key words

arthur street
dudley street
eltham
eltham hall
eltham shire office
main road
pph
produce paint and hardware centre
shire offices
shire of eltham pioneers photograph collection
woolworths
eltham fire brigade
fire station
sepp

Black and white photograph

Historical information

Shows the 285 ft. frontage along Main Road consisting of old Shire Office and Hall, former Fire Station, etc., Main Road, Eltham, which was sold to Woolworths.

Inscriptions & Markings

[Written on backing paper:] Shows area sold to Woolworths. I took these photos from the new fire station - the building in the middle is the old fire station - Moved to Research for Scouts 1970 - IMcD

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Former Caretaker's Cottage, Garden Hill, Kangaroo Ground, 1985

Key words

kangaroo ground
caretaker cottage
garden hill farm
war memorial tower

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

At Kangaroo Ground Memorial Tower

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100N

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Eltham RSL and Uniting Church, Main Road, Eltham, c.1979

Key words

monuments
church
eltham rsl sub-branch
eltham uniting church
main road

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips

Significance

Changing streetscape - RSL branch merged with Montmorency. Land sold and since developed into units.

Inscriptions & Markings

Unidentified; half-frame numbering

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

no image

Folder - Robert Hills

Key words

robert hills

Folder of information on Robert Hills, Queenstown, 1861

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Demolition of Eltham Shire Offices (North Wing viewed from Senior Citizens' Centre), 895 Main Road, Eltham, August 1996

Key words

eltham shire office
demolition
shillinglaw trees

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 5 strips

Historical information

The Shire Offices opened in 1965 and were extended in 1971. The final Eltham Shire Council meeting was held in December 1994 before the forced amalgamations of municipal councils by the Kennett Government. The State-Government-appointed Commissioners (1994-1996) took the decision in July 1996 to demolish the Eltham Shire Offices. The demolition works started within 24 hours of the decision being made.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-5

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Hume and Hovell Monument at Yea

Key words

activities
hume and hovell
monuments
yea

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Matcham Skipper at work. Eltham artist from Montsalvat.

Key words

pioneers and painters
sepp
matcham skipper
montsalvat
artists

Black and white photograph reproduced on p122 of 'Pioneers & Painters' Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photo Collection, no. 732 (duplicate of hard copy held at Eltham Library)

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Believed to be in the region of Cleveland Avenue, Lower Plenty, c.1980s

Key words

lower plenty
radio transmission tower
cleveland avenue

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodacolor II

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Shillinglaw Cottage, Eltham Common, Panther Place, Eltham, 1986

Key words

activities
banner project
shillinglaw cottage
eltham common

Colour photograph

Historical information

Used for the Society's Banner project.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Diamond Creek Trail, Eltham

Key words

walkways
bridges
diamond creek
eltham

Two colour photographs showing view looking towards and entering footbridge on the Diamond Creek Trail, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Rear of Eltham North Hall

Key words

eltham north hall

Colour photograph

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 26 September 1982

Key words

newsletter
eltham district historical society
shire of eltham historical society

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Next meeting – “Something for everyone” • Membership cards • Kangaroo Ground Presbyterian Church • Former Falkiner Cottage • Requests for information o Victorian Mounted Rifles o The Status of Rivers • Victoria’s 150th Anniversary

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Council road and drainage works, believed to be Reynolds Road near Thompson Crescent, c.Nov 1986

Key words

shire of eltham
roadworks
reynolds road
thompson crescent

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA 100 5095

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Russell Yeoman and Margaret Deighton, daughter of Blanche Shallard; tree planting and plaque dedication in memory of Society member, Blanche Shallard, 11 Dec 2002

Key words

blanche shallard
eltham district historical society
local history centre
russell yeoman
margaret deighton

Low-resolution copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Eltham District Historical Society, Local History Centre, 728 Main Road, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Book - Ourselves Writ Strange by Alan Marshall published by F.W. Cheshire Pty. Ltd.

Key words

australian aboriginal

321 p. : plates, map (on lining papers) ; 23 cm

Inscriptions & Markings

[written on flyleaf] Hullo, John. Greetings from Australia - Alan Marshall Dec 61

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 176 September 2007

Key words

newsletter
eltham district historical society
shire of eltham historical society

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Next meeting, Panel Presentation: Eltham People – Stories from our Files • September Meeting • Fortieth Anniversary Celebrations • A Church was Erected at Nillumbik: a sketch paper by Kenneth Eric Eckersall • Other News

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Fitting of Time Capsule, Eltham, 1987

Key words

eltham
joh ebeli
time capsule

Four colour photographs (laser printed on paper); two showing the fitting of the time capsule into the monument and two showing Joh Ebeli during the dedication presentation.

Historical information

In November 1985 a monument was installed near the corner of Main Road and Pitt Street in Eltham, within the gardens at the front of what is now the Eltham Community and Reception Centre. This monument commemorates Victoria's 150th anniversary and the former location of the Eltham Town Centre, which existed along this section of Main Road, then known as Maria Street. Beneath the site is a time capsule to be opened in the year 2035. A plaque was also erected at this site in October 1987 to commemorate the Shire of Eltham Historical Society's 20th anniversary. The main feature of this monument is a ?tyring disc?, a blacksmith?s implement that was found on this site. This consists of a large iron disc that was used as a platform for fitting iron tyres (like the one shown on top of the platform) to wooden spoked cart wheels. The local blacksmith and wheelwright worked together to assemble the wheel, which was clamped to the platform placed close to the fire. The red hot iron hoop, previously forged to the correct size was lifted with tongs by the blacksmith over the outside of the rim, then hammered down amid flames from the scorching timber. The wheelwright drenched the tyre with cold water as soon as it was in position. A clamp placed on the naff (hub) and screwed down tightly kept the spokes at a constant angle as the tyre cooled. An even pressure from the contracting tyre tightened the joints at each end of the spokes and formed a vice-like grip, which would last for the life of the wheel.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Open Day, Eltham Living and Learning Centre, November 1988

Key words

eltham living and learning centre
open day

Roll of 35mm black and white negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Ilford XP1 400

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Upper Yarra Dam, Spring Tour, 22 Oct 1995

Key words

shire of eltham historical society
activities
upper yarra dam
henley bridge

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Historical information

EXPLORING THE UPPER YARRA (Newsletter No. 105, November 1995, by Bettina Woodburn) We enjoyed the Spring Excursion, this year "Exploring the Upper Yarra" - in spite of the constant rain and the countryside under the cloud cover, especially in the valleys, being mainly shiny shades of green. The occasional fields of buttercups, clumps of arum lilies and splendid rhododendron and other flowering bushes became very special. The Cobb and Co coach was warm and a cosy retreat as we zig-zagged on the highways and byways to glimpse the Yarra River, upstream and down, its secret places, and particularly the many bridges. Russell excelled as 'Poet Laureate', reading from Dacre Smyth's book. This 1979 publication includes paintings of all the bridges along the river with poems and brief descriptions of each one. Some of the bridges are in out of the way places and are not very well known. We looked forward to hearing the poetry as much as seeing the ' constructions'…Big Pat (was he short or tall, lean or fat? He did win the two hundred pound reward for discovering gold and had the creek named after him), about the 'Eddies'?, and the disliked 'meccano' bridge in Warburton, etc. etc. The hot roast lunch in the old Reefton Hotel was also most welcome. It was easy to imagine it peopled by miners and early settlers. Starting by crossing the new (1974) concrete bridge at Warrandyte we headed through Wonga Park with views to the Christmas Hills and to the escarpment of the Yering Gorge, which causes flood waters to back up through the Yarra Glen plain, so avoiding disasters downstream. At the end of a long driveway we found the wooden, privately owned Henley Bridge (1935 after the 1934 floods). This facilitates access to different parts of Henley Farm and to Lilydale. Everard Park, named after Blanche Shallard's father, a State Member for 17 years, below the Highway Yarra crossing was in need of care. It is 10 miles from Yarra Glen by road but, as "Yarra Marra” canoeists well know, 32 winding miles down by water. After more delightful countryside scenes we joined the Warburton Highway at Woori Yallock. From the old Railway Station at Launching Place the Centennial Trail for walkers, cyclists and ' horse riders has replaced the rails. The line from Lilydale was opened in 1901, and the last diesel freight train ran to Warburton in 1965. It continued to rain as we had morning tea in Warburton in a shelter between footbridges. From here we continued upstream past the Bridge to O'Shannasy Lodge and Reservoir, Starvation Creek, and the Peninsular tunnel (miners dug it as at Pound Bend) which we visited (scrambling down those steps!) on our return after lunch. Our furthermost point was the Upper Yarra Dam Reserve (and vast catchment area). Finished in 1957 after ten years work and 100 years after Yan Yean, it supplies much of Melbourne's water. After crossing the 30m Launching Place Bridge to the Eltham side of the Yarra and Healesville, we saw in the distance the Yarra Glen Timber Trestle Bridge over the river flats "the longest for years in the land it was said!" Harry's dream of "better weather over the Divide" unfortunately didn't come true, but I'm sure we 36 members will retain happy memories of a day that was wet and green and filled with Bridges. Bettina Woodburn - October 1995

Significance

Record of the Society's history of activities - Spring 1995 excursion

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-4

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 13, July 1980

Key words

newsletter
eltham district historical society
shire of eltham historical society

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Local Plenty Monastery – inspection • Meeting venue • Society Office Bearers • Recent activities • Subscriptions • Information required • Library reference sources • Diamond Creek Basin Study • Donations to the Society • Committee meeting

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

no image

Folder - Edwin Cartwright

Key words

edwin cartwright

Folder of information on Edwin Cartwright, Panton Hill, c1900

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Local History Centre display for Opening Day, 12 July 1998

Key words

activities
eltham
eltham district historical society
main road
opening ceremony
local history centre

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-6

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Eltham Tennis Court. Lady Premiers 1909-1910.

Key words

sepp
shire of eltham pioneers photograph collection
eltham
tennis

Digital image

Historical information

Source: Mrs. G. Tonkinson, 293 Bolton St., Eltham

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Kangaroo Ground-Warrandyte Road, Kangaroo Ground, c.1988

Key words

eltham shire council
infrastructure
kangaroo ground-warrandyte road
kangaroo ground

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

Looking southeast, Floods Road on right adjacent to bus stop.

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Book - Matilda waltzes with the Tommies /​ by Mary Kent Hughes (T/​Major Thornton, R.A.M.C.).

Key words

mary kent hughes
world war ii

Hardback with dust jacket; 176 p. : ill., maps, ports. ; 22 cm.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - North end of the railway station carpark, Eltham, February 1968

Key words

duplication
eltham
main road
carparks
luck street
railway station

Black and white photograph

Historical information

Shows the street sign for Luck Street intersection with Main Road.

Significance

In February 1968 an unknown person took a series of photos from the Eltham Hotel at Pitt Street heading north along Main Road through the shopping centre to just north of Elsa Court covering the length of the section of Main Road which was duplicated shortly thereafter. Shows the condition and environment of the streesscape of Main Road, Eltham immediately prior to the duplication between Pitt Street and Elsa Court through the shopping centre. Also shows a number of shops and businesses that operated at that time.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - 20th Anniversary of Eltham District Historical Society, afternoon tea in Senior Citizens' Centre, 10 October 1987

Key words

1987
activities
senior citizens' centre

Colour photograph

Historical information

L-R: Mrs Charis Pelling, Mrs Marjorie Smith Motschall, Mrs Florence Spicer (at back), Mrs Nankervis

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Mudbrick home, "Rocknall', Diamond Street, Eltham

Key words

gayle blackwood collection
houses
mudbrick
eltham
diamond street
rocknall
john pizzey

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 10 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-6

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Book - Community Calendar 1995: The colours and textures of Eltham / Shire of Eltham

Key words

calendar
shire of eltham

Historical information

One of the last publications of the former Shire of Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 81 November 1991

Key words

newsletter
eltham district historical society
shire of eltham historical society

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Next meeting, guest speaker; Victorian Archaeological Survey • November Meeting • Christmas Break-up • Eltham Festival Parade • School Residence Kangaroo Ground • Andrew Ross Reminiscences

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Photograph - Eltham Art and Craft Market June 1988

Key words

eltham
arts and craft
markets

Roll of 35mm black and white negative film, 24 shots; 7 strips

Historical information

Roll of negatives of the Eltham Art and Craft Market dated June 1988. The market was regularly held in the carpark in front of the Safeway supermarket

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak TX 5063

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham