Stories Organisations Projects Login

Greensborough Historical Society Victoria

The European settlement of Greensborough was from 1839 onward. The Society's aim is to collect, catalogue and preserve the history and heritage of Greensborough and its environs from the earliest records to the present time. Whilst called Greensborough Historical Society, its coverage is not limited to that area alone and includes Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Montmorency, Briar Hill, Lower Plenty and Bundoora.

Contact Information

location
34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria (map)
phone
+61 9439 5454
Contact

Opening Hours

Each Thursday 10:00am to 3:00pm NOTE: Reopened for 2016 on 14th January 2016. Saturday afternoon once a month. See website for dates.

Entry Fee

No charge; membership fees available on website

Location

34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Greensborough Historical Society Inc collection focuses on historical and current information relating to Greensborough and surrounding areas, including the former Shire of Diamond Valley. Information is from mid-1840 to the current time. Items include artifacts, photographs, documents, oral histories, maps, school yearbooks and uniforms, books and collected current newspaperr clippings relevant to the area. There is a large digital collection of photographs.

Significance

The collection has historical significance in that it brings together information relating to the settlement of Greensborough and district from the mid 1840s. The Greensborough Historical Society Inc was formed in 2010 to collect, preserve and catalogue the history and heritage of the area from earliest records.

Cameron Auty 6 January 2015 10:01 AM

Hi Greensborough HS, we've really enjoyed the photos you put up over the holidays. They give a wonderful insight into the history of your region. Keep up the good work. VC Admin.

Trudy 8 July 2015 9:35 AM

I have a vintage glass dish which contains a photo of the old bluestone bridge titled "wading pool Greensborough" I would like to donate to the Greensborough Historical Society. Please call 0414 323 936 to arrange collection. Thank you.

Leave a comment

4912 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (4813) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (379)
View As Grid List

4912 items

Business card - Digital Image - Plenty Valley Printing Greensborough

Greensborough Historical Society,

Coloured business card

Historical information

Plenty Valley Printing is a Greensborough graphic design and printing business.

Business card - Digital Image - Clements Avenue Automotive, Bundoora

Greensborough Historical Society,

Coloured business card

Historical information

Clements Avenue Automotive is a Bundoora automotive repair business.

Business card - Digital Image - All things safety wear Briar Hill

Greensborough Historical Society,

Coloured business card

Historical information

All Things Safety Wear is a Briar Hill business selling work wear and safety equipment.

Advertisement - Digital image - Rosella soup

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement is for Rosella soup.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Henry Marks

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement is for Henry Marks, a furniture store in Elizabeth Street Melbourne, dated 1888.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Cadbury Energy Chocolate

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement is for Cadbury Energy Chocolate.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Borax Soap

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement is for Borax Soap manufactured by Lewis and Whitty in Richmond.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Clothing and shoe advertisements

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. These advertisements for women' s shoes and clothing date from the 1940s.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Rail notices 1950s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from a local newspaper. These are notices to variations in rail services.

Advertisement - Digital image - Guymer Plumbers Montmorency

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from a local newspaper. Guymer Plumbers Montmorency operated from Binn Street Montmorency in the 1950s.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based business which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Budget Home Builders Montmorency

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Budget Home Builders Montmorency operated Old Greensborough Road Watsonia.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based business which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Briar Hill Timber

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Briar Hill Timber operated in Sherbourne Road Briar Hill.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - A.J and N. Gee

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. A.J and N. Gee operated a sports shop in Main Street Greensborough.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Stubley's Stores

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. The Stubley group of companies operated several businesses in Greensborough.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - McKay & Simmons Grocer

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. McKay & Simmons was grocery store in Grimshaw Street Greensborough.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Hutchinson's Greensborough Hardware

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Hutchinson's Greensborough Hardware was a hardware and general goods store in Main Street.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Greensborough & Diamond Valley Estate Agent

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Greensborough & Diamond Valley Estate Agent was a Greensborough estate agency.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Foard's Store

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Foard's Store was a Greensborough general store in Grimshaw Street

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Davis Chemist Greensborough

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. T. H. Davis was a Greensborough Chemist shop.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Bromley's Greensborough

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were collected from the Diamond Valley Local newspaper. Bromley's was a Greensborough clothing store.

Significance

This advertisement is for a Greensborough based shop which no longer operates.

Advertisement - Digital image - Yellow Cabs

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement for Yellow Cabs is from 1935.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Punton's Shoes

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement for Punton's Shoes is from 1935.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Melbourne Bitter

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement for Melbourne Bitter is from 1935.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Marcia Models Hats

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement for "Marcia" Models Hats is from 1935.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Lane's Motors

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by a GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement for Lane's Motors in Exhibition Street Melbourne is from 1935.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

Advertisement - Digital image - Cortina car

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of newspaper advertisement.

Historical information

These advertisements were found in a suitcase donated by GHS member. The case contained newspapers and other items. This advertisement is from the 1960s.

Significance

Although the advertisement not Greensborough based, it came from a local home.

School Photograph (digital image) - Watsonia High School 1963 Form 2A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1963 Form 2A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1963 Form 2A

School Photograph (digital image) - Watsonia High School 1962 Form 1A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1962 Form 1A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1962 Form 1A

School Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough State School 1958 Grade 2-3

Greensborough Historical Society,

A black and white copy of a school photograph.

Historical information

The photograph shows a Greensborough State School class from 1958, Grade 2-3.

School Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough State School 1957 Grade 1

Greensborough Historical Society,

A black and white copy of a school photograph.

Historical information

The photograph shows a Greensborough State School class from 1957, Grade 1.

Newspaper Clipping - Digital Image - Funeral notices for Claude Amiet 1998

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of funeral and death notices

Historical information

Death notices collected by Cherel Sartori's following the death of Claude Amiet in 1998. Kell's Cottage was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Notes - Digital Image - Notes on conversation with Claude Amiet 1992

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of handwritten notes

Historical information

Notes of Cherel Sartori's conversation with Claude Amiet in 1992 at Kell's Cottage. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Interior of Kell's Cottage, 2000.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 4 colour photographs

Historical information

Interior of Kell's Cottage when sold in 2000. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Exterior of Kell's Cottage, 2000.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photographs

Historical information

Exterior of Kell's Cottage when sold in 2000. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Sale notices, Kell's Cottage, 2000.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour advertisements

Historical information

Advertisements for Kell's Cottage when sold in 2000. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Paddock and gates in Henry Street, 1950s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Paddock and driveway at Kell's Cottage 1950s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Significance

An indication of the rural aspect of this area in the mid-20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Electricity connected in Henry Street, 1950s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Kell's Cottage with electricity connected 1950s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Significance

An indication of the rural aspect of this area in the mid-20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Looking east from Henry Street to the river 1956

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Looking from Henry Street east to the Plenty River, 1956. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Significance

An indication of the rural aspect of this area in the mid-20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Cows at Kell's Cottage 1956

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph of a cow at Kell's Cottage in the 1940s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Significance

An indication of the rural aspect of this area in the mid-20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Kell's Cottage 1940s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 3 black and white photograph

Historical information

Photographs of Kell's Cottage in the 1940s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Kell's Cottage 1940s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph of Kell's Cottage in the 1940s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Claude Amiet at Kell's Cottage 1920s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph of Claude Amiet and others at Kell's Cottage in the 1920s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital Image - Kell's Cottage 1920s

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph of Kell's Cottage in the 1920s. The house was built 1917, at 112 Henry Street Greensborough by William Mitchell on the 60 acre dairy farm owned by Ethel and Walter Kell. This collection of photographs was copied by Cherel Sartori (who owned the house from 1990-2000), following a visit by Claude Amiet who lived in the house as a child in the early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [garden]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 2 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block - buildings in their garden setting. Part of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [exterior]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 3 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block - exterior. Part of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [tiled verandah]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block - tiled verandah / walkway. Part of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [internal rooms]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 5 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block - room interiors. Part of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [door detail]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 2 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block - detail of door. One of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Central Block [rear]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 3 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Central Block from the rear. One of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site.

Photograph - Digital image - Mont Park: Ernest Jones Hall

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of 2 colour photographs

Historical information

Mont Park: Ernest Jones Hall. One of a collection of photographs of the original buildings at the Mont Park Hospital site. This was a combined chapel and entertainment hall, built between 1927-1930.