Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2365 items

Album - Photo Album: Kew [Willsmere] Mental Hospital, 1872-c.1965

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Red leather photographic album containing 43 images of the Kew Mental Hospital from its origins until ca. 1965. Within the album, there are a range of photos of various sizes. Photos are typically labelled by date, especially within decade. The photos are of varying quality and historical significance. the subject of the photos in the album include architectural features, internal and external environments, patients and staff. Those to be published separately are deemed to be unique and or significant. The album forms part of the Dr. Fred Stamp Collection.

Historical information

The new Kew Lunatic Asylum was completed in 1871 and opened in 1872. The year 1972 marked it's centenary. Over the years, members of staff at the asylum collected records, photographs, publications and plans of the asylum, later hospital. The Society has a number of important collections relating to the asylum and the Children's Cottages. These include the Dr Cliff Judge, the Irena Higgins and the Dr Fred Stamp Collections. This item was one of a number donated by the family of the late Dr. Fred Stamp who was the last medical superintendent of the Hospital. Dr Frederick Stamp graduated from Bristol Medical School (UK) in 1968. He and his family emigrated to Australia in 1977 to Goulburn (NSW), moving to Melbourne in 1980. He became Superintendent at Willsmere in 1981 until its closure in 1988.

Significance

Following their closure, the medical records of the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages Kew were relocated to the archives of Victorian Government departments and ultimately to the Public Records Office of Victoria. Other collections, such as the Fred Stamp Collection, were assembled by staff who worked at the hospital. The years leading up to the closure of Kew must have been fraught, and many of the items in the hospital were probably destined for hard waste disposal. Dr. Fred Stamp, the last medical superintendent, kept aside or rescued a number of these items, of which this is one. Following his death, his family donated these to the Kew Historical Society. The Society recognises these items to be of lasting historical significance, essentially due to their provenance and to their rarity. Together they (and the Judge and Higgins Collections) are an invaluable aid for researchers of the institutions' histories.

Album - [including] 18 Cartes-de-Visite, Wishart Collection, circa 1880

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Leather, ivory and paper photograph album including 18 ‘Cartes de Visit’. The album has a faint inscription at the front "Ann Wishart" [Photograph album]. Anne Wishart was a teacher of piano in Kew and an ancestor of the Wishart Family which was later to include a Mayor Of Kew (i.e. William Wishart)

Architectural Drawing - 'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’ / by William Pitt

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’, [Architectural drawings]. A set of architectural drawings of additions to Goathland (originally Byram, and later Goathland and Lowan). The drawings, by the architect William Pitt represent additions to the size of Goathland. Pitt had previously worked with the original architect of the house, Edward George Kilburn, of Ellerker & Kilburn, who had designed Byram for the industrialist George Ramsden in 1888. 'Lost Glories: a memorial to forgotten Australian buildings' was published by David Latta in 1986. It tells the story of a number of significant Australian buildings that had previously been demolished. A chapter in the book was devoted to Goathland, later known as Tara Hall. To supplement the text, he sourced photographs from a range of suppliers, chiefly the Royal Women's Hospital which had once owned Tara Hall, but had sold it in 1960. This is one of the photographs donated to KHS by the author.

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Historical information

The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".

Architectural Perspective Sketch - City of Kew Municipal Depot, 1984

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large colour perspective drawing of the new Kew Municipal Depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Street, Kew. The drawing was completed by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 on behalf of the project consortium. In addition to the projected layout of the depot, the drawing includes details of the consortium drawn together to bid for the project: project managers - McGinley & Partners; consulting engineers - D. G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd; and project architects - Dorner Rice Pty Ltd.

Historical information

There have been a number of municipal depots in the former City of Kew (now part of the City of Boroondara). This perspective sketch by Dorner Rice Pty Ltd represents the original design of the depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Drive, on the grounds of the former Kew Mental Hospital. The large perspective drawing by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 is an important record of the depot as originally designed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Architectural Perspective Sketch : City of Kew Municipal Depot: Perspective sketch : W.A.D. Brodie 1984 : McGinley & Partners Pty Ltd Project Managers : D.G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd Project Engineers : Dorner Rice Pty Ltd Project Architects

Architectural Perspective Sketch - Kew Civic Centre, 1970

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hand-coloured perspective sketch of the new Kew Civic Centre, completed in 1972 to designs by A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall; and located on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road, Kew. The sketch represents the front elevation of the building and its relation to the preexisting Kew Civic Hall at right. The three storey building features strong vertical concrete buttresses that extend across the three levels.

Historical information

The Kew Civic Centre (A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, 1972) was built next to the Kew Civic Hall (C Leith & Bartlett, 1960) on the site of the former mansion Ordsall (later renamed South Esk). Whereas the entrance to the Civic Hall was positioned off Civic Drive, the main entrance to the Civic Centre faced Cotham Road, as shown in the undated perspective drawing of the proposed building. The Civic Hall was used for public functions and performances, while the Civic Centre was used for civic offices. It also contained the Council Chamber. The building opened in 1972, following the relocation of the councillors and council officers from the former Town Hall in Walpole Street (now a Woolworth's supermarket). Following the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the City of Boroondara in 1994, the Civic Centre was sold to Trinity Grammar School. The Civic Hall now houses the Kew Library. The exterior of the Centre has been modified by Trinity Grammar.

Significance

A report for Heritage Victoria (date) describes how two architectural firms dominated the designs for new civic buildings in Victoria during the post war period. The report calims that: "An interesting sub-theme in the erection of post-war municipal offices in Victoria is that a considerable proportion were designed by the same three or four Melbourne-based architectural firms, who established themselves as the leading specialists in this type of work. The two most prolific firms in this regard were A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, and A C Leith & Bartlett; both, in fact, had made names for themselves as designers of local government offices prior to the Second World War. Lines' office, for example had designed the Eltham Shire Offices in 1941, while Leith's firm had been responsible for the celebrated Heidelberg Town Hall in 1937). Both practices parleyed this early experience into a lucrative post-war career, designing numerous municipals offices well into the 1970s." (Survey of Post-War Built Heritage in Victoria, Built Heritage Pty Ltd, 2010.) The perspective drawing importantly captures the original design and function of the exterior of the building and its public entrance.

Archive File - Action Groups [General], 1993-2012

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing sundry newspaper articles and correspondence relating to action groups established to protect Victoria Park, High Street, and Willsmere-Chandler Park.

Archive File - ANDERSON, Alice Elizabeth Foley (1897-1926)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing printed material and correspondence, newspaper articles/clippings, research, publications, reprints of photos and original Realia relating to Alice Anderson and her motor garage at 67 and later 88 Cotham Road, Kew. The business cards are dated 10/5/18 (No.67), 1/8/18 (No.67), 17/5/20 (No.88). The business cards have a printed statement on the back listing her tariffs for a range of services. The file contains a letter from Miss Hazel Parker that came with the donation of the cards (sic), dated 4 June 1974.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ANDERSON, William Nicholls (1873-1927)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

William Nicholls Anderson (1873-1927) was an Australian painter, one of whose works from the 1906 series River + Rail is in the Kew Historical Society’s art collection (donated 1984). The archive file contains correspondence, biographical information (written by his niece), and locations in Kew where he lived. Much of the correspondence between the Society and the City of Kew relates to the painting and its location in the Mayor’s Room at the Kew Civic Offices in Charles Street, where it was on loan from the Society. Lucy M (Jean) Hornby, the artist’s niece was a resident of 5 and 20 Queens Street, Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ANNEAR, Harold Desbrowe (1865-1933)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing a single text by Ms. Kirby A. Foreman, entitled Harold Desbrowe Annear’s Early Works, (completed as a major project (AJ901) in the Department of Architecture of Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology). Ms Foreman donated a copy of the Study to the Society in 1991. The 147-page project report includes a history, and appendixes of documents, designs and photographs of buildings.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ANDERSON, Harold H (1897-1956)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a 2-page article, published in Australian Family Tree Connections (November 2005). The article describes Harold and his brother Sydney’s military experiences in the First World War. The article includes an image of Harold’s Town of Kew Roll of Honor certificate. It notes that he is listed on the Kew War Memorial.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Authors (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing Sundry information about authors (poets, novelists, playwrights, historians, politicians, journalists) who were born, educated, lived or died in Kew, initially compiled by Society member Elizabeth Mackie who had previously researched the artists of Kew. Since the file was created, various items including correspondence and newspaper articles/cuttings have been added. Some information relates to organisations rather than individuals, such as that Kew was once the headquarters of the Fellowship of Australian Writers (1/317 Barkers Road). Within the file there is correspondence and curriculum vitae supplied by: Allan Aldous, Lillian Wood, Michele Nayman (1981), Yetta Rothberg (1981), Judith Rodriguez (1981), Rev Dr Arthur de Quetteville Robin (1982). The File also includes a photocopy of a letter supplied by Prof A D Hope (1981) relating to his memories of Kew. Authors mentioned in the file include: Allan Aldous, F G A Barnard, James Bonwick, Martin Boyd, Vincent Buckley, Sir Macfarlane Burnet, Anne M Carson, John Clements, Rita Erlich, Barbara Giles, Alison Goding, A D Hope, Wendy Jacobs, Lally Katz, Jill Manton, Philip Martin, James McAuley, Pauline McKinnon, Philip Mendez, Marrion Miller, Michele Nayman, Brenda Niall, Mark O’Connor, Nettie Palmer, Vance Palmer, Rev Dr Arthur de Quetteville Robin, Judith Rodriguez, Myra Roper, Dorothy Rogers, Yetta Rothberg, Frederick Sinnett, John Stanley, Peter Steele, W D Vaughan, Gwen Walker, J M Walsh, Lillian Wood.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Auburn Heights Bowling Club (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing correspondence between the Club and the Society relating to the 1906 glass negatives, in the Society’s collection of the opening of the greens in 1906. Also newspaper articles about the Kew Heights Sports Club (2011) and the MCC Sports Club (2013).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BALE, Alice [Marion Emily]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file relating to the Australian artist A M E Bale who lived at 83 Walpole Street, Kew (Vic). The file contains a great deal of photocopied biographical information, as well as some newspaper articles/clippings. In 1981, the Kew Historical Society applied for the house to be registered by the Historic Buildings Preservation Council of Victoria. Accompanying the application was a citation by Timothy Hubbard (1981). A reply by the Boyce Pizzey, from the Council (1 May 1981) indicated that the building was of “insufficient architectural or historic importance” to warrant registration. The letter also indicated that the current owners had been requested to provide “a professional photographic record of the house and contents and submit these, along with all specifications and drawings, to the Latrobe Library, Melbourne”. The file includes an anonymous handwritten record of the contents of the house, which were sold at auction in 1981.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Baptist Church (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file including a number of original and reproduced primary sources relating to the Kew Baptist Church in Highbury Grove, and the East Kew Baptist Church in Woodlands Avenue. These include ‘Kew Baptist: Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavour - Golden Jubilee 1890 to 1940’ [bound photocopy], ‘Kew Baptist Church: The Achievements and Progress during 75 years’ [bound photocopy], ‘Kew Baptist Church History 1856-1906’ [bound photocopy], ‘Kew Baptist Church: A Record of 75 Years 1856-1931’ [1st edition], and ‘Tested Recipes: Compiled by the Members of the East Kew Baptist Ladies Guild’ [original copy donated by Christine Pitt, Nunawading, 2013). In addition to these publications, three of which were donated in 1982 by Rev and Mrs Manton, the file contains research notes on Ministers (2015) and a letter relating to Church records.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Banks (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small archive file including notes and newspaper/newsletter articles on banks in Kew, including the National Bank of Australasia (High Street, Kew), ES&A Bank (High Street, Kew), Bank of New South Wales / Westpac Bank (Cotham Road, then 150 High Street, Kew), Commonwealth Savings Bank/Commonwealth Trading Bank (193 High Street, Kew). An Eastern Suburbs Standard article records the donation to KHS of the National Bank of Australasia Signatory books (1885-1922). A photocopy of an email (2015) from Adrian Rigg refers to the donation of buttons and badges belonging to his grandfather Francis H Rigg (manager of the ES&A Bank, High Street), to the Society.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BARNES, Josiah Earl (1858-1921)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

J E Barnes was the preeminent Kew (Vic) photographer in the first decades of the 20th century. His ‘embarkation’ photographs are a major asset of the Australian War Memorial’s Collection. The Society also owns original copies of a number of his photos, including numerous mayoral and civic photos. In 2014, the Society mounted a major exhibition of his photos, a number of which were sourced from his descendants. The file includes two CD-ROMs of these images. There are also two copies of an article by D. Darbyshire - ‘Diggers at Sea’, originally published in the Port of Melbourne Quarterly. Dates of embarkations and a photocopy of one of the photographer’s advertisements are included in the file.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BENYEI Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dorothy (1926-) and Dr. Laszlo Benyei (1920-2006) became members of the Kew Historical Society in 1980. Laszlo and Dorothy were both key members of the Management Committee of the Society, Dorothy performing the role of Society Archivist 1983-2013. During this period she was to be a Founding Member of the Friends of Villa Alba, was active in raising funds for Hamer Court and the main organiser of the Historical Society’s contributions to the Bicentennial on 1988. The archive file contains correspondence, biographical material, newspaper articles/clippings, and printed ephemera.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Belford Farm (Kew East)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing genealogical research material on the Wades of Belford Farm, all photocopied. One item was prepared for a reunion of the descendants of Peter Robert & Mary Ann Mansergh (Blair) and James & Maria Mullins (Dartnell) who arrived in the Colony on the Sailing Ship ‘China’ on 1 May 1840. The item includes lists of passenger names and the names of their descendants. The other item is an inquiry from Elvania Balcombe, which includes her own research into the Wade family.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Bibliographies (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a typed list of published histories (undated), a copy of ‘Brief Guide to Local History Resources held at the [Kew] Municipal Library’ (Green, D. & Tarr, A.,1984, 11pp) and ‘An Annotated List of Kew Newspapers from 1860-1985 (Green, Deidre, April 1985, 26pp)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery - Burials

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing published and unpublished secondary sources / research about individuals and families buried in the Boroondara General Cemetery. Conglomerate files include: William Walton & family, Memories of the Linton Family (Lyne, J.A., 1997), and Sir Robert Wilson Knox (1934, 1969, 1973). There are notes and or photocopied information on Joseph Bosesto (1824-89), David Beath (1835-1922), Sir Robert Molesworth (1806-189?), Samuel Dougan Bird (1832-1904), Alexander Morrison, William Henry Archer ((1825-1909), Sir William Murray McPherson (1865-1932) and Sir Leo Cussen (1859-1933). The file also includes a single newspaper article/clipping on the burial of Sir Robert Knox (The Age, 1973). Held separately to this file is the Dorothy Rogers manuscript listing information inscribed on headstones of prominent citizens of Kew, with her annotations on these inscriptions.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara Bulletin

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file containing various copies of the City of Boroondara’s ‘Boroondara Bulletin’ including Volumes 1/1, 1/4 (1994), 2/2 (1995), 4 (1997) and Nov 2010. The file also includes some other, later Ward updates. The Bulletin was first issued by the City Commissioners following the forced amalgamation of the suburbs of Kew, Camberwell, Hawthorn etc. into the new City in 1994. The early Bulletins were like local newspapers and reported on community activities as well as Council policy. Additional copies of the Boroondara Bulletin are stored in the Society’s Library.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BONWICK, James (1817-1906)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file containing information about James Bonwick (1817-1906). The file contains a newspaper article/clipping on the book collection of Dr. H. Boyd Graham (The Age, Jan 19, 1963), which refers to Dr. Graham owning 47 separate items by Bonwick. The other is a publication called ‘Bonwick’s Boroondara: Annotations and Index to James Bonwick’s ‘A Sketch of Boroondara 1858’ by Gwen McWilliam (Camberwell City Libraries, 1989, 44pp, VII endpages)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BON, Ann (1838-1936)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Ann Bon (1838-1936) who for a period lived in Charles Street and is buried in the Boroondara General Cemetery. The file includes correspondence, printed articles, and typed secondary sources.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Bicycle Paths (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two newspaper articles, the first a general article on cycling and the other on opposition to bike paths in Willsmere Park.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery - General

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing numerous newspaper articles/clippings, items of correspondence, unpublished research, pamphlets, a CD-ROM, notices of exhibitions and walks etc. The earliest manuscript is handwritten notes entitled ‘A Place in the Shade’, compiled in 1960, by members of the Kew Historical Society. Some of the topics covered in the file include the Rotunda restoration project, the Cemetery’s 150th anniversary, Von Mueller, the Peace Haven Mausoleum, etc. The file also includes a single copy of ‘Boroondara: A Place in the Shade’ published by the Kew Historical Society and the Trustees of the Boroondara general Cemetery in 1980. There is also a CD-ROM that is called the ‘Kew Cemetery Tree Report’ but probably contains an electronic copy of the Conservation Management Plan.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara, City of - Culture & Arts Register

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence between the Kew Historical Society and the City of Boroondara relating to the former Kew Art Collection that had been taken over by the City of Boroondara, newspaper articles/clippings, and a printout of part of a database listing items in the City of Boroondara Civic Collection that formerly belonged to the City of Kew, as of 2004.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery - Significance

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a photocopy of ‘The Historical Significance of the Boroondara General Cemetery, Kew - 1858-1900 (O’Neill, Frances, Monash University, 1985, 64pp with maps and plans)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara, City of - Community Directories

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing publications listing community services and groups within the City of Boroondara published in the 1990s. There are two editions of the so-called ‘Boroondara Book’, with amendments.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara, City of - Memorabilia Working Group

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Working Brief (Jan 1996) and Interim Report of and to the City of Boroondara Memorabilia Working Group on which the representatives of Kew were Jill O’Brien and Dorothy Benyei. The Brief described the items under consideration to include: “historic artefacts, photographic material, books, works on paper, textiles and a number of outdoor items”. The response in the Interim Report September 11, 1996 noted that in contrast to the submission by the Kew representatives for Kew-related material to be relocated to the Kew Library, the Society had been given a scarf, a ceremonial cover, and a cup and saucer. The items that the Kew representatives wanted returned to Kew included five paintings and a photograph. These are itemised in the report.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara Historical Societies Association

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing Correspondence, documents (minutes, agendas, financial statements etc.,) relating to the Boroondara Historical Societies Association. The historical societies of Kew, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Canterbury and Surrey Hills agreed, following amalgamation in 1994 to form an umbrella group, to represent their joint interests to the new Council. A newspaper article/clipping dated 2012 noted that the group was being reconstituted. From the evidence in the file, Balwyn Historical Society was not a foundation member

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara, City of - Miscellaneous

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing sundry newspaper articles/clippings and Council publications including: ‘Boroondara: What’s in a Name’ (1994?), ‘Report to the Community 1997/8’, ‘City of Boroondara Annual Report 2000’, ‘Corporate Plan 1998-2001’, ‘Annual Report Summary 2010-11’

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara, City of - Periodicals

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a number of business and community directories, privately published rather than council publications. The five issues in the file date from 1996-1999, and include articles as well as advertisements.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BRYAN, Cr. Henry & Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing genealogical research into the ancestors and descendants of Cr Henry T “Harry” Bryan of 124 Princess Street, Kew. The file also includes a photocopy of the report of the Coronial Inquest into the death by drowning of Cr. Bryan at Parkdale in 1924, photocopied funeral notices, a photograph of the Bryan grave at the Boroondara General Cemetery, a photocopy of the Bryan Family Tree, two letters from Edna Fryer recalling her life in Kew, copies of photographs of Thomas Henry Bryan (1868-1924), John Bryan (1841-1912) and Sarah Bryan nee Chambers (1840-95), Henry Thomas Bryan’s children - Harold George Bryan (1896-1956), John Alfred Edmund Bryan (1897-1984), Norman Arthur Bryan (1898-1964), and Edna May Bryan (1905-1991), copies of the certificates of marriage of John Bryan and Sarah Chambers (1867) and Henry Thomas Bryan and Edith Ripper (1895).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BOTTOMLEY, Pte. E.E.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pte Eric E Bottomley wrote letters home from Egypt and France in the period 1916-1918. These letters were transcribed by John L Torpey in 2010, and a copy of the transcript given to the Society. Pte. E.E. Bottomley was later a member of the Kew RSL Sub-Branch. He lived at various times in Coley House, 177 Cotham Road (Kew) and 6 Holroyd Street (Kew). Peter Ryan donated the original letters to Kew RSL in 2009. The letters were addressed to family members who lived in Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Boroondara Road Board

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing typed copies of early documents relating to the Boroondara Roads Board, established 1854. They include multiple copies of a transcript by Mr L.M. Chinner of the ‘Petition of Inhabitants Kew for the Establishment of a Municipality’ (1860), and the ‘Boroondara District Roads Board Assessment Roll’ (1858). The file also includes later articles by Bill Mackie (1997) and Gwen McWilliam (2013).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Bowling Clubs (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence relating to the former Studley Park Bowling Club in Barry Street, Kew and its relocation to Yarra Bend Park. The file includes a photocopy of the letter by Nigel Lewis to the City of Kew, describing the historic importance of the Club (established c.1903) and the necessity of moving it before demolition. The file has information relating to the pavilion’s move and restoration as an art centre.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BOWDEN, Matthew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a single bound manuscript about ‘Matthew Bowden (11-10-1779 - 23-10-1814) - Civil Surgeon at Sullivan’s Bay and Hobart 1803-1814. The research was conducted and completed by Ms. Alison Goding of 7 A’Beckett Street, Kew. Matthew Bowden was her great-great grandfather.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BUCHAN Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing articles on an Indigenous canoe, now in the Melbourne Museum, which was collected by John Buchan of Finhaven, Stevenson Street, Kew in the 1850s. The Museum printout describes the canoe and provides information on its provenance. The KHS newsletter article by Judith Vimpani contains genealogical research on the family.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Butleigh Wooton, Glenferrie Road (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing newspaper articles/clippings.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ARGYLE, Sir Stanley Seymour (1867-1940)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Stanley Seymour Argyle, later Sir Stanley, was Mayor of Kew for two terms: 1902-3, and 1903-4. He was later the Premier of Victoria (1932). While the file contains an article by Neville Pollard - Commonwealth Versus the States: Australia’s uniform gauge debacle (Australian Railway History, Feb 2014), most of the file is comprised of correspondence relating to the gift of a painting to Argyle in 1895. The correspondees include Ian Stanley Argyle, the grandson (Argyle Travel Coy. R.R, 172 St George’s Terrace, Perth, 6000), Kew Historical Society, and Kew City Council. A photocopy of the letter (poor quality) relating to the gift in 1895 is included in the file. The grandson’s letter advises that the gift was a small oil painting described as a ‘Field Scene’. An image of the painting is not in the file.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Bridges (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information relating to each of the bridges crossing the Yarra In Kew. The file includes correspondence, photocopied photographs and maps, journal articles, research, and printed ephemera. Bridges referred to and described in the file include Kanes Bridge, Walmer Street Foot Bridge, Johnston Street Bridge, Chandler Bridge, Collins Bridge, Tramway or Zig Zag Bridge, Penny Toll Bridge, Victoria Street Bridge, Burke Road Bridge. The file includes original materials relating to the Victoria Street Bridge Centenary Celebration 1884-1984.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Baby Health Centres (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing photocopies and a journal published by the RHSV (69:1, June 1998). The article, ‘Baby Boon: The Infant Welfare Movement in Victoria’, was written by Margaret Flood. While the article only makes one reference to milk supplied by Kew dairies, it contains useful descriptions of the role of Baby Health Centres and their staff. A newspaper article/clipping (1991) refers to the establishment of the Baby Changing Room in Walpole Street. There is also a photocopy of W D Vaughan’s text on Baby Health Centres in Kew (1960).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Businesses (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing many newspaper articles/clippings, mostly modern. The file does include correspondence from organisations and individuals relating to businesses and organisations (eg Masonic Hall). The file contains an undated flyer for businesses including: Payne’s Bon Marche (138-144 Bourke Street)), the Prospect Hill Hotel, the Hosiery Depot, Tolver Silvers (118 High Street), and sundry invoices trade marks etc.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Byram [aka Coonoor, Goathland, Tara Hall, Lowan] Studley Park Road (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing articles about the house, its architect and it architectural style.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Buildings (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing newspaper articles/clippings, research and correspondence from and to the Society. The earliest item, dating from 1964 is a letter from the Society to the City of Kew seeking Council support for the use of Ellesmore, 80 Princess Street as a cultural heritage centre. Other items of correspondence relate to the Masonic Hall (Walpole Street), Fernhurst, Southesk, Roberts House, Park Hill, Butleigh Wooton, Villa Alba, D’Estaville, Charleville, Roseneath, Merridale, La Verna, Otira, Raheen, Willsmere, Holy Trinity Church. Some of these letters contain information about construction of the buildings and architects. In addition to this correspondence, the file includes brief undated research notes on the Clock Tower at the Kew Cemetery, Tarring, Southesk, the Alexandra Gardens, Studley House (Burke Hall), Ellesmore, the Masonic Hall, Xavier College, Genazzano, Trinity Grammar, Carey Baptist College, Abbotsford, Fernhurst, Illapa, Madford, Morganville, Otira, Parkhill, Monnington, Field Place, Lalla Rookh, Merridale, Kew Mental Hospital, and D’Estaville.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Adeney, William

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing items of correspondence from 1971 relating to a query regarding the life of William Adeney, of Clifton Villa, Cotham Road. Researcher name - John Adeney. Response from Mrs E. West, KHS Secretary. The file contains snippets of original research on Adeney (Rate Books - William Adeney, Park Street (later Adeney Avenue) 1878. The response refers to memories by Frances Dumaresq who knew the descendants.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CAMPBELL, Dr. Kate (1899-1986)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information on Dame Kate Campbell MD (1899-1986), who was a pioneer doctor in the field of pediatrics. The file contains newspaper articles/clippings relating to her work. A number of the articles were written at the time of her death in 1986. Kate Campbell Reserve in northern Kew is named after her.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Canoe Tree (Bowyer Avenue, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence, copies of Society Minutes and extended research by Eva Grant (2pp) on the former canoe Tree in Bowyer Avenue. The file notes the wording of the plaque, erected in 1965, and a photograph of it in situ.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CAMERON, Donald

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping on an exhibition by the Kew artist Donald Cameron. Cameron’s address is given as Grandview Terrace, Kew. The file also contains postcards promoting the exhibition.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.