Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2438 items

Archive File - Canoe Tree (Bowyer Avenue, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence, copies of Society Minutes and extended research by Eva Grant (2pp) on the former canoe Tree in Bowyer Avenue. The file notes the wording of the plaque, erected in 1965, and a photograph of it in situ.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CAMERON, Donald

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping on an exhibition by the Kew artist Donald Cameron. Cameron’s address is given as Grandview Terrace, Kew. The file also contains postcards promoting the exhibition.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Cafes & Restaurants (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Information file containing containing numerous reviews, articles and advertisements for cafes and restaurants in Kew and Kew East; mostly sourced from local newspapers

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Carey Baptist Grammar School (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The archive file on Carey includes both primary and secondary sources. The former include a 12-page photocopied manuscript of a talk presented to the Kew Historical Society in 1992 by Alfred B Mellor CBE, the Honorary Architect at Carey BGS. The file also includes a letter from Alfred Mellor describing the original house - Urangeline - and the early years of Carey. Other primary sources include lists of councillors, teachers and students in 1923, the 1966 Swimming Sports at the Richmond Baths. The remainder of the file contains modern newspaper articles/clippings.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CARRUCAN Pte. Thomas M. & Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file including information relevant to the Carrucans of Kew. The Carrucans were fuel merchants, selling wood, coal and coke) on the corner of Highbury Grove and High Street, Kew (Vic) for over 60 years. The file contains two loosely bound archive files written by Francis William Lynch, one on Pte Thomas Michael Carrucan (1892-1951), and the other on the Carrucan family generally. The general history was presented to the Society in 2011 by Kathleen Murphy.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Carnsworth (Cameron Court, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file relating to the house Carnsworth (later renamed Slomcek House) built for Jabez Louis CARNEGIE in 1907-8. In the file, a National Trust (Victoria) citation identifies its date of construction, the original extent of the landholding and style of the house, and comparative examples. The Trust registered the house in 1991.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Carmelite Monastery (Stevenson Street, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing sundry newspaper articles/clippings relating to the Carmelite Monastery in Stevenson Street, Kew (Vic). One of the articles/clippings in the file from 1991 gives a brief history of the Monastery and notes that the architect was Mr. W.P. Connelly, and Massey Bros the builders.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Caritas Christi Hospice (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Sisters of Charity bought land in Studley Park Road in 1937 and opened their first hospital there in 1938. The archive file contains a newspaper article/clipping published in the Progress Leader (2013) about the 75th Anniversary of the Hospice.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Centenary Celebrations (Kew), 1934

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small file containing a photocopy of a newspaper article form 1934 (The Age, 27 October 1934), and two copies of a local United Centenary Thanksgiving Service held in Kew in the Alexandra Gardens on the occasion.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Carlton & United Breweries

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence and planning reports relating to a proposed extension of the Carlton & United Brewery in Abbotsford in 1981-2.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CHARLWOOD, Arthur

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the Charlwood family who arrived in Kew on the ‘Success’ in 1850. In 1888, the family built four two-storey houses at 25-31 Gellibrand Street. The file contains a nine-page biographical account of Arthur Charlwood’s origin in England, his migration to Victoria and his life and businesses in Melbourne. The photocopied account was written by Don Charlwood and donated to the Society in 1981 by Mrs Sewell. A copy of Don Charlwood’s ‘Settlers Under Sail’ is in the file.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Citizen's Advice Bureau (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the Kew Citizens Advice Bureau that was located at the City Hall, Cotham Road, Kew. The file includes various items including a newsletter from 1979, minutes of meetings of the Bureau in 1979, a meeting relating to ‘Kewcare’, and a document from 1975 entitled ‘Kew-Hawthorn Information System', which lists the areas (eg derelicts, drug dependency, firewood for aged etc) covered by the Bureau.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Kew, City of - Municipal Collection

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the Civic Collection of the City of Boroondra, including policy documents (1997-2002), correspondence from Jill O’Brien relating to the Municipal Collection owned by the former City of Kew (including a reference to the mayoral photographs, 1999,) being returned to be hung in the Kew Library.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CLARK, Geoffrey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Geoffrey Clark, a foundation member of the Kew Historical Society in 1958. The file contains a death notice and a letter from his sister, Nola Westaway, as well as many pages of handwritten notes written by Geoffrey Clark between 1977-1979. Geoffrey Clarke was Honorary Auditor from 1965-70 and Treasurer until 1979.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Charleville (Cotham Road, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Ross House (originally Charleville) in Cotham Road Kew. The articles date from 1988. They contain information about the size of the house and its key features as well as its owners.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Chandler Park (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing an extract from a Boroondara Bulletin (2016) outlining community feedback on the concept for a wetland at Chandler Park in Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Churches (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about varying churches in Kew and Kew East. A number of articles relate to the Kew Congregational Church in Walpole Street Kew (Vic), demolished in 1978.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Clarence House (180 Cotham Road, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a white metal badge “CLARENCE” from Clarence House girls’ school at 180 Cotham Road, Kew (Vic). An inscribed envelope accompanying the badge notes that: 180 Cotham Road, Kew. Built by Mr Justice A’Beckett. Later “Clarence House” school (a girls’ school) run by Misses Wymond. (This house was then owned but apparently not occupied by Jess and George Reed.)’

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Community Centre (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence between office-bearers of the Kew Historical Society and the City of Kew relating to the possibility of purchasing historic buildings from demolition and for use as a community centre and historical society premises or museum. Properties discussed included 14/16 Princess Street and the hall (Neama) on the site of St Paul’s School.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - COLEBATCH, Dr. John

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Dr. John Colebatch AO (1909-2005) who in addition to his pioneering medical discoveries/practices became a resident of Kew and a member/vestryman of Holy Trinity Church, High Street, Kew (Vic). The article was adapted from one originally published in the Trinity Times in 2000.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Clifton House [Studley Park Road, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a transcribed copy of a sale notice from 1867 of Clifton House, later demolished by George Ramsden to build Byram (aka Goathland, Tara Hall etc).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - COLQUHOUN Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the Colquhoun family. The Colquhoun family lived at Swinton in Kew. Most of the material, including a Catalogue published by the Castlemaine Art Gallery focuses on Archie and Amalie Colquhoun.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Country Women's Association (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping about a branch of the CWA established in Kew in 2015.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Congregational Church (Walpole Street, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the Congregational Church in Walpole Street, Kew (demolished 1979). The file contains numerous original and copied primary sources as well as short histories and correspondence between the Kew Historical Society and the Historic Buildings Preservation Council when it was proposed to demolish the church. Following the demolition of the Church, an aged care facility - Bodalla - was erected (since demolished). The file contains some information on Bodalla and a foundation stone relating to the former Church which was placed on the site. In the file, there is a photocopy of a brass plaque from 1860 that refers to the architect being George Wharton and the builders Messrs. Leach & Bicknell.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Conservation Study (Kew) 1984-88

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about the nationally-funded Kew Urban Conservation Study, conducted by Pru Sanderson and completed in 1988. The Society had two representatives on the Kew Heritage Committee, which was established by Council to oversee the project. The file contains a number of documents including a copy of the original submission of May 1984. Two bound copies of the completed report in three volumes are held in the Society’s library.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Conservation Study (Kew) 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a copy of the City of Kew’s Urban Renewal Proposal (13pp), dated June 1978. The proposal to the Urban Renewal Authority relates to those houses in Denmark Street, High Street South and Barkers Road, then known as ‘The Triangle’ (historically known as O’Shaughnessy’s Paddock. The report refers to the Kew Triangle Association.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Copy Shop (Walpole Street, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about The Copy Shop at 3 Walpole Street, Kew, which was located in the Council-owned Masonic Hall (demolished c.1983). The Shop acted as a community Centre as well as being a self-help duplicating centre. At one stage, the Society had an Information Centre at the Shop. The file holds correspondence and printed materials.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Conservation Study (Kew) 1990-1

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about a follow-up conservation study in the City of Kew, following that by Pru Sanderson, undertaken by A Bryce Haworth. The Study reviewed Sanderson’s recommendations regarding the classification of A, B, and C graded buildings in Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Cresco Reserve (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information on the Cresco Reserve at Kew Junction and its naming in c.2008. The file includes an item of correspondence from the City of Boroondara plus a print out of map of the Junction.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Creeks and Waterways (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing an article on creeks in Balwyn from a Balwyn HS newsletter (O’Dwyer, P., 2010) and a newspaper article/clipping on Glass Creek (2012).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - CRESPIN Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Crespin family lived in Studley Park Road, Kew. The archive file contains genealogical research compiled by Maggie Downey, a descendant of the family.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Community Clubs (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping from 2010 relating to an event held by the Kew Toastmasters.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Currency (Australia)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a two documents, the first being a rare, original copy of 'An Account of the Coins, Coinages, and Currency of Australasia' (Coleman P Hyman, 1893), and the second, a 17-page booklet, written in 1954 and reprinted in 1956 on the history of currency in Australia.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BOYD, Robin (1919-71)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing newspaper articles/advertisements relating to the Australian architect Robin Boyd, including the house at 21 Redmond Street.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Crimes (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a photocopied newspaper article and photo on a car bomb in Davis Street, Kew in 1983.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Development (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file consisting largely of newspaper clippings/articles relating to houses in Kew. The earliest original newspaper article dates from 1923 and relates to housing shortages. The file contains some interesting Council records and correspondence relating to community action in response to development. These include the proposed lease of the Ground Floor of the Kew Civic Buildings as a postal delivery centre (1992), the development of flats in Studley Ward (1977), a proposed motel in Studley Park Road (1983)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DICKINSON, Cr. W.H.S.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

WHS Dickinson was twice mayor of Kew and the founder of the Society in 1958. The archival file includes a number of items written by Dickinson and eulogies given at his funeral service on 4 September 1974. The eulogies provide details of his history. The file also includes a folder compiled by Dickinson, which is a list of names of people who lived in Kew. It also includes a handwritten President’s report that he gave in 1973 to the Society.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Dight's Falls, River Yarra, Kew & Fairfield

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing sundry newspaper articles/clippings on the Mill. Also a photocopy of a brief article on Dights Mill and Falls by Jan Gross. Also an article on the Pumping Station.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Disability Groups (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing sundry modern newspaper articles/clippings.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DUDLEY & Other Families

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing genealogical research compiled by an unknown author on the Dudley family and other significant families involved in the Highbury Grove Methodist Church. The file includes family trees, biographical information and some eulogies. The families with folders in the file include the Miller family (William Buntung Miller, Dorothy Jean Miller), the McDonald and Redrobe families (Charles Robert Redrobe, Ella Victoria McDonald), the George family (Elaine Laura George, Reginald Isaac George), Pugsley family (Florence Churchill Pugsley), Tonkin family (Elsie Euphemia Tonkin, Bertram Gardner Tonkin), the Tucker family (Albert John Tucker), the Rowlands family (Rev Lewis Jones Rowlands, Dilys Elizabeth Rowlands), the Carey family (Alfred Ernest Carey, the Dudley family (Allan Dudley, John Tucker Dudley, Albert John Tucker, Lt Col. John Dudley) as well as individuals including: Arthur H Affleck, Harold Howard Craven Williams, William Roy Hinchcliffe, and Frank Erwin Peters).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DUMARESQ Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information on the Dumaresq family of Kew who were early settlers in Kew and in Tasmania. In Kew, the Dumaresqs built their house St Helliers (1888-), about which Margaret Dumaresq a member of the Society wrote a profile in 1959. In the file there are a number of newspaper articles/clippings including one noting the death of Miss Dumaresq who had been a Vice-President. In 1971, Miss Dumaresq presented a long talk on her family’s history, which was recorded and is now transcribed. Her discussion of her family’s past dates back to the Battle of Waterloo. What appear to be her handwritten notes are kept in the file. The file contains an album of 16 postcards of places and people at Melbourne University donated by FKM Dumaresq.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - ALLEN, George (1900-1972)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing an article by Mavis H. Rolley, originally published in Kewriosity (vol.2, No.3, August 1980) describing George Allen’s sculpture memorialising the Second World War on the wall of what was originally the Kew City Hall, and now the Kew Library. The archive file includes Rolley’s handwritten notes that formed the basis of her article.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - BELL Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing correspondence from Francis Richard Bell, relating to his ancestor George Bell, first (sic) town clerk of Kew. The correspondence includes a schematized family tree and the descendants’ addresses in Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Dunning’s Timber Yard

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing three newspaper articles/clippings

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Dorothy Rogers Reserve

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing press clippings, correspondence regarding naming of Reserve.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DAKIN Family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information on the Dakin family of Kew, whose sons attended Trinity Grammar School. Jane Carolan, the archivist of Trinity Grammar School, compiled the research notes. The information in the file relates to Arthur William Dakin and Frances E Dakin. Jane Carolan’s research covers the period 1904-1950. Robert Baker used the notes to develop a newsletter article on the Kew High School trophy won by Arthur Dakin. [Arthur Dakin was later a member of the Ross River Rescue Mission of 1917.]

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Dairies (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing one item of correspondence seeking information on the following Kew Dairies: Willsmere park Dairy, Model Dairy, Henry Kennett’s dairy (Young Street), Connors dairy (51 Gladstone Street), George Hobbs dairy (35 Atkins Street). As well as seeking information on specific dairies, the inquirer also sought information on production and retail aspects of the industry.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DANNOCK, James (1831-1907)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

James Dannock (1831-1907) was an early pioneer of Kew. The archive file contains a number of transcripts of his recollections, dating from 1896, which are held in the State Library of Victoria. Also photocopies of genealogical research. In the Dannock file there is a note relating to the 1875 “Back to Kew” map. It reads: “The Map of Early Kew was drawn by Mr Jesse Dannock, 2nd son of James and Maria Dannock. Map was given to Mrs Rogers by May Ratten, stepdaughter of Jesse Dannock. May Ratten & Mrs Rogers were friends. Mrs Rogers not a blood relation of the Dannock’s!”

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - D'Estaville (Barry Street, Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Sir William Stawell built the house, D’Estaville, in what is now Barry Street, Kew. The archive file about the house includes sundry items including real estate brochures, newspaper articles/clippings, copies of Australian Heritage and the Victorian Historical Journal (2006) in which there are articles on Stawell and the Victorian Constitution, correspondence between the Society and the national Trust and the Historic Buildings Council relating to the vacant land in Sir William Street (1980) and to D’Estaville itself.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - DERRICK family

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Derrick family were early settlers in Kew. Derrick Street is named after them. The Derrick archive file includes minutes of meetings at which Derrick family descendants attended, correspondence, research notes on the Derrick Family, maps of the Derrick landholding in Kew (and a photocopy of the Certificate of Title), and photocopy of a letter from John Derrick to Francis Barnard (original in archive). There are also sundry newspaper articles/clippings.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.