Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, two years after the formation of the National Trust of Victoria, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society has been affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria since 1959, and works with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
Contact

Opening Hours

Kew Court House: Every Friday & Saturday from 11.00am to 1.00pm.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation.

These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

When successfully applying in 2017 for funding for a Significance Assessment from a consortium of national cultural organisations led by the National Library of Australia the Society described its collections as:

Audio-visual recordings
A collection of unique addresses, lectures and oral history interviews of noted Australian men and women, many of whom achieved national prominence, including Sir Robert Menzies. Oral history interviews include one with Frances Dumaresq, the daughter of a pioneering Australian family (Tasmania, Victoria) and later an educator at PLC in Western Australia, and at schools in Victoria. The core part of the collection includes about 30 tapes, only a number of which have been digitised and or transcribed.

Archives Bound and Unbound
A major collection of bound and unbound documents lodged with the Society by private individuals and organisations operating within the municipal boundaries, as established from time to time. Significant sub-collections within these archives include those of the Kew Ladies Benevolent Society (1891-1969), the East Kew Women's Club (1945-73), the Lionesses of Kew (1979-88), and the Kew Elderly Citizens' Association (1951-present). Other sub-collections include the Irena Higgins collection (Kew Asylum, Kew Cottages), the Dorothy Rogers Collection (Victorian history), and the Jill O’Brien Collection (Politics). As a whole, these and other archives include publications of particular historical value, minute books, membership lists, minutes, records of activities, brochures, plans, etc.

Costumes and textiles
The most significant item in the textiles collection is a mid-19th Century colonial-era quilt, which was considered for inclusion by the curators of a recent quilt exhibition at
the NGV. The main component of the Fashion & Textiles collection, exceeding 500 items, is the costume collection. A sizeable component is the significant number of costumes that predate the First World War. The earliest of these date from the 1850s. A number of these 19th Century costumes entered the collection in the early 1960s. The best of these were exhibited in 2016, including at the Villa Alba Museum, and were supported by public lectures provided by past and present curators of Australian Fashion at the NGV.

Information files
More than 480 hanging files containing information in the form of reports, short histories of families and buildings, personal accounts, etc. relating to people, places and events. The largest single sub-collection areas include conservation studies, including those used to support the community campaign to preserve the nationally significant Kew Court House, reports and documents relating to the Kew Cottages and Kew Lunatic Asylum, and those that outline the creation and maintenance of the Villa Alba Museum.

Library
Approximately 350 works covering arrange of historic themes. Within this part of the collection unique or rare books, including two copies of ‘In Memoriam’ by Sir John Longstaff and Dr. John Springthorpe, celebrating the life of Annie Springthorpe (1867-97). These important copies are believed to be two of the four in public collections. The collection also includes a folio of images of Kew in the early 1890s, that includes photographs taken by the Victorian photographer J.F.C. Farquhar. The book is in need of urgent restoration and has been recently assessed by the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation. The Book Collection also incorporates the professional library of the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Maps
Approximately 300 maps catalogued, including a highly significant and unique collection of Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) maps and plans dating from the 1890s to the 1920s. Thirty- five of the detail plans in the collection were the subject of a Victorian Local History Grant, provided though the Public Record Office Victoria, which enabled the digitising, reprinting, exhibiting and conserving of the plans. These plans are original contractors’ maps, which are hand-coloured and annotated with comments about land use and ownership. A number of these are not available through the State Library of Victoria. In addition to these MMBW plans, the society has almost 100 19th and 20th century subdivision plans, which are regularly accessed and used by researchers to investigate ‘Building Settlements Towns and Cities’.

Mounted works
Almost 200 original artworks and framed photographs, prints, etc. relating to significant people, places and events. One of these is the large, original framed iconic photograph of the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial, 1925’. Two recently acquired portraits of are of John Halfey and Annie Halfey. The distinctive portraits were painted in the 1880s and have recently been assessed for restoration by the Grimwade Centre. The majority of the mounted works are a collection of eighty-three framed photographs of mayors of the former City of Kew dating from 1861. This series of photographs includes examples taken by photographers such as Josiah Earl Barnes. A number of these mayors made significant wider contributions to the Australian community (eg William Warren Kerr, Sir Stanley Argyle, Herbert James Henty, and Marie Dalley). In a number of cases these are the only known portraits of these men and women.

Objects

Over 2,500 objects including domestic and commercial equipment etc.

Photographs
Over 3,000 photographs of people, places and events dating from the earliest days of European settlement in Australia, over 700 of which are available through Trove. While most of the photographs are of people, places and events, others have a wider significance. The Kew Historical Society was the largest contributor of historic photographs to ‘Remembering Melbourne’ (2016), produced by the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2199 items

Archive File - GARDNER, Cr Charles

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Notes compiled by Miss Daisy Gardner in November 1958 and provided to the Society. The 5-page handwritten document describes Charles Gardener and his family who migrated to Australia in 1884. They moved to Kew and built a two-storey house, ‘Bassem’ on the corner of Cotham Road and Atkins Street. He and his son Edgar were managers of Messrs. Cassell & Co Ltd, publishers. A descendant, W. Gardener was an architect who built the Gardeners a house on the corner of Cotham Road and Edgevale Street in which WHS Dickinson once lived. There is some confusion in the document about the exact location of the house. On the document there is a later annotation/correction by E.L. Frazer.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - GARDEN, Assoc. Prof. Don

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Assoc. Prof. Don Garden OAM was a Vice President of the Society. The single item file relates to the RHSV and it headquarters in the Drill Hall.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Garbage Disposal (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing primary resources/publications and newspaper articles/clippings. The oldest item in the file is a ‘Report on the Sub-Committee of the Conference of Municipalities on the Best Means of Disposing of Street and House Refuse, Street Sweepings and other Garbage of the Metropolitan Area (Brunswick, Slobom & Co., Printers, 1 Union Street, 1901). The other publication dates from 1993 and is City of Kew: Your guide to total waste management.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Gallipoli & Beyond 2015

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Gallipoli & Beyond was a Commonwealth funded project involving members of the Boroondara Historical Societies Association. The project involved roadshow, exhibitions, talks, and the publication of a history. The file contains newspaper and magazine, articles/clippings, promotional materials, certificates, etc. The Kew Historical Society participated in a number of events and held an exhibition on the embarkation photographs of Josiah Earl Barnes. The captions and the posters are held separately in the map drawers.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Galleries (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Various newspaper articles/clippings about exhibitions at Cotham Gallery, East West Art Gallery, Leo Baeck Arts Centre, Bird’s Gallery, QArtStudio, Galerie Tara, all of which were/are galleries in Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FULLER, Alfred

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a one page article from Kewriosity (Dec 1985-Jan 1986) on Alfred Fuller, the brewer and organ builder who had his business in High Street South, next to the Clifton Hotel.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FRYDENBERG, Joshua

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Sundry newspaper photographs and articles on the Federal Member for the Electorate of Kew, Joshua Frydenberg.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FROST & MARTIN Families

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large genealogical file with typed information provided by the donor, Mrs Faye Johnson, including correspondence, family trees, primary sources, photographs relating to the Martin and Frost families of Kew. The file contains specific information about Ellen Martin (1839-1885), Jessie Frost (1860-1903), William Henry Martin (1832-1910), James Frost (c.1855-1877), Francis Martin (1860-1917), and Charles P Frost (1853-1915). Charles Frost was a noted member of the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. The file also includes a page of notes and some small photocopied photographs of the house Glendene and its garden at one stage owned by Mr & Mrs Hurlstone.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Friends of Walmer Street

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Single item archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping about a Friends of Walmer Street activity involving Xavier College students.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Friends of Kew Library

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file with material relating to the Friends of the Kew Library. The file includes correspondence, notices of meetings, and a collection of brass plates given by the Friends with gifts to the Library.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Costume - Late Victorian Skirt, Black Silk, circa 1897

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black silk floor length skirt with black lining and internal tapes. The skirt is distinguished by a gathered hem giving the impression of ruffles. With the donation, there is also an accompanying group of copied photographs of the Courtney family, including one which shows Elizabeth Courtney, the owner of the skirt. The skirt was donated by Frances Courtney, a descendant by marriage of the original owner.

Historical information

Elizabeth Wilson met James Henry Courtney at the annual Lord Mayor's Ball on 28 August 1890. In 1892, Capt James Courtney moved to 'Courtland' an architect-designed house at 31 Jenkin Street, Northcote. James married Elizabeth at Nth Fitzroy. Several years later they moved to 108 McKean Street, Nth Fitzrory. Capt and Mrs Courtney were guests at the official opening of the Australian Parliament on 9 May 1901, the reception at the Exhibition Building that evening, and the Royal Review at Flemington the following day. Finally they moved to 'Lumeah', a brick villa at 11 Belmont Avenue, Kew.

Archive File - Friends of Boroondara Kew Cemetery

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The archive file contains sundry printouts and newspaper articles/clippings relating to activities of the Friends of Boroondara Kew Cemetery.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Foster Parents Plan (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Single item archive file, with a newspaper article/clipping stating that the organisation Foster Parents Plan of Australia (PLAN) was located on the corner of Cotham and Highbury Grove. The organisation was located in what had been the Kew Presbyterian Church.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Foley Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file containing information on the Foley family of Kew as well as reports, submissions, correspondence etc., relating to urban renewal in Kew in Foley Street, including the Council Depot, which became the Foley Street Reserve in1979. This area was of keen concern to the Triangle Residents Association of which Jim Tutt was a member.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Floral, Industrial and Art Society (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Archive file contains six examples of printed ephemera, once owned by Amy Grigg of Pakington Street. Most of the items relate to awards given by the Kew Floral, Industrial and Arts Society, while another is a certificate issued by the Victorian Education Department as a ‘Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Education’, dated 1891. The latter was ‘dated’ at Kew. The five awards given by the Society were for achievement in baking, writing and sewing. A later hand has added the date 1889 to these certificates. Also in the file is a newspaper article donated by Miss Henty that describes the first exhibition of the Society.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Fire Brigades (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A small archive file containing a photocopy (presented by Trinity Grammar School to the Society) of the Rules of the Kew Volunteer Fire Brigade (established 1879), a photocopy of a photo of the Kew MFB officers on a Hupmobile at the entrance to the station, and sundry newspaper articles relating to the Brigade at its later location in Belford Road.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Findon (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file on Findon, an early mansion in Studley Park and its owners including the Hon Henry “Money” Miller. The two main items in the file are an extract from Victoria and Its Metropolis on Miller and an article on the organ that was once in the house and according to an article on the Organ Trust website, currently in the Wesley Uniting (formerly Methodist Church) in Box Hill.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FIGUEROLA, Alma

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

File containing materials relating to an early member of the Kew Historical Society, Alma Figuerola, a Victorian artist living in ‘D’Estaville’, Barry Street, Kew. A newspaper article with photographs, published in The Herald (1958) provides evidence for the dating of the press photographs of Alma Figuerola in the Society’s collection. The file contains dated correspondence between the Society and Alma Figuerola relating to her health and to the death of her mother. The file also contains a ‘Sincere Thanks’ card from Carmen and Silvia Figuerola to the Society following Alma Figuerola’s funeral, noting the date of her death on 8 December 1970. The card gives the address of the house, in 1970, as 4 Sir William Street. In the file there is a letter from 1971 pertaining to the return of wedding dresses and other materials stored at D’Estaville for the Society (which at that stage did not have its own archive). A solicitor’s note from 1973 to the Society contains a refutation of the information about the house contained in Dorothy Rogers’ A History of Kew.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Flora & Fauna (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing some information about fauna and flora in Kew. In addition to sundry newspaper articles, the file includes a City of Kew ‘Street Tree Masterplan file’ and a copy of L.G.C. Pearson’s ‘The Indigenous Plants of the Melbourne Region’ (1986).

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Field Place (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing photographs, a newspaper article/clipping, correspondence and a report by the Society to the Historic Buildings Preservation Council (HBPC) into the classification or otherwise of Field Place, the home of Francis Henty in Studley Park Road, and now entered via Henty Court. The HBPC file contains a letter from the current owner expressing what he considers to be its heritage significance.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Fernhurst (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing research related to George Wharton (q.v) and his house Fernhurst, originally situated on the corner of Princess Street and Studley Park Road, but later subdivided. The house was in the 20th century converted into flats and later bought by the Catholic Church, who established St Paul’s School for the Blind on the site. The situation was complicated as the Church also bought the neighbouring Neama (q.v.) and Mandalay. Villa Maria and St Paul’s School currently occupy the site. Part of the site was later subdivided to create Elphinstone Street. The file contains photocopied extracts from histories and detailed research and correspondence between the School, the Kew Historical Society, the National Trust of Victoria, and the Historic Buildings Preservation Council relating to both Neama and Fernhurst. There is a reference in a letter from St Paul’s inviting the Society to collect artefacts from the site. There are no known current items in the collection relating to the collection of these.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FERGUSON, Cr Hugh George

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hugh George Ferguson was born in June 1900 in Williamstown. He married in 1940 and subsequently joined the Australian Imperial Forces. After the war he worked as a Billeting Affairs Organiser for Dutch Government, resettling migrants in Australia. He also worked in Advertising as an account manager, and was campaign director for Arthur Rylah is Victorian politics. He organised the first major trade fairs at the Royal Exhibition Buildings after the Second World War, including a World Trade Fair in (DATE). He built a home in Brougham Street and represented North Ward on Kew Council from 1952 to 1968. He was elected Mayor for the 1959-60 term. He died in 1975, aged 75, and is buried in Boroondara Cemetery. The file on Cr. Ferguson includes newspaper articles relating to development in Kew, the new Kew Town Hall, and Cr. Ferguson’s retirement. Primary sources in the file include an original invitation to the 1959 Mayoral Dinner and the guest list, Cr Ferguson’s Registration card as a Justice of the Peace (1972), and electoral material for North Ward (1955, 1968)

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - FENWICK, Nicholas A

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small archive file with a single copy of ‘Despatches to the Governor of New South Wales A1278’, notifying that Nicholas Fenwick is being sent to New South Wales to fill the role of Police Magistrate. The other item is a typed version of the advertisement for the Crown Lands Sale in Kew in 1851.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Farming (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing a newspaper article/clipping called ‘Our Pastoral Routes’ by Jenny Brown.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Genealogical Inquiries (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing two items of correspondence requesting information on William Patrick O’Reilly and Elizabeth Lawler (who died at ‘Fernleigh, Disraeli Street, c.1897). The Lawler letter contains a small amount of information on other members of the family.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Fairyland - 57 Malmsbury Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file on ‘Fairyland’, 57 Malmsbury Street, Kew. Fairyland, when owned by the Tabulos was a noted local, state, national and international tourist attraction. The grandparents of the historian Dorothy Rogers had originally owned the house. The file contains a copy of Rogers’ history of the house. The file also contains sundry newspaper articles/clippings, correspondence between KHS and the City of Boroondara relating to heritage protection, personal email correspondence (not for distribution), poetry, research documents including timelines, and colour and black and white photographs (donated by Betty Morgan, Matt Dickerson, et al). Primary sources included in the file include photocopies of Jim Tabulo’s War records and Jim and Grace Tabulo’s wedding certificate. The Tabulos collected and displayed in their garden many items of porcelain, pictures etc. The file contains a copy of a document/booklet on the British Royal family that once formed part of the Fairyland Collection.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Significance

The Fairyland Visitors Books, held separately to the file are important manuscripts of statewide significance. They are historically significant as Fairyland was a major tourist attraction in Melbourne from the 1940s to the 1960s. The Visitors books, containing the messages and names of children and adults are also socially significant in what they reveal about social and cultural values of the postwar period.

Archive File - Fairview, 34 Wrixon Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing information about Fairview (built 1924) for F.F. Robinson, proprietor of Yarra Falls Mills. The house replaced an earlier single-storey brick house, also called Fairview. A comprehensive report prepared by Alan Willingham in 2006 found that there was no evidence that the architect Desbrowe-Annear incorporated parts of the original building in the new construction. The work by Willingham is a ‘Cultural and Architectural History and Assessment of the Cultural Heritage Significance’ of the building, prepared for Carey Grammar School. The Willingham report was donated by Sr Ruth Anderson.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Elm Lodge, Wellington Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

William Siddeley was the original owner of Elm Lodge, later renamed Madford in Wellington Street, Kew. The file has a single page of biographical information written by Roslyn M Elliot nee Siddeley. (Madford later became the St Paul’s Home for Babies.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Elm House, 72 Walpole Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An archive file containing a school research assignment completed by Sally Ann Venables of the history of Elm House (later Cloverlea), 72 Walpole Street. The 15-page report was completed in 1983 while Sally was a pupil of Kew High School. Owners of the house recorded in the report include Horace Samson, George Gray Allan, George Brinsden Vasey, Matthew Montgomerie Wilson, and Ethel Dalton. The writer contends that at some stage, the house operated as a dairy.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Electoral Rolls (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The archive file (and the library) contains original copies of voter and or electoral rolls. These include, in date order: 1971 - City of Kew Voters Roll for College Ward, 1972 - City of Kew Voters Roll for Central Ward, College Ward, Prospect Ward, Studley Park Ward, 1977 - Victorian Government Electoral Rolls for the Subdivisions of Kew and Kew North, 1986-7 - City of Kew Voters Roll for Central Ward, College Ward, North Ward, Studley Park Ward, 1990-1 - City of Kew Voters Roll for Prospect Ward (2), Sackville Ward, Studley Park Ward (2), Willsmere Ward (2), 1992-3 - City of Kew Voters Roll for Studley Park Ward.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Eastern Freeway (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Archive file containing sundry newspaper files about protests against the freeway’s construction, land acquisition, speeding, noise etc. There is also a CRB brochure of ‘Your Eastern Freeway Driver’s Guide’

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - East Kew Women’s Club, 1945-70

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Most of the original manuscripts of the Club (attendance registers, minutes of meetings, histories etc.,) are kept separately in archival boxes. The vertical file contains a copy of the 9-page history of the Club’s history from 1945-65 a newspaper clipping relating to a 25-year anniversary lunch.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - East Kew Community Bank

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small archive file containing two bank produced promotional pamphlets.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Archive File - Early Landowners (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small archive file that contains information on early landowners in Kew. The research and notes are unsigned and undated. There is also some research on residents named in the early rate books. Specific landowners with information about them in the file include notes by Mavis Rolley on J.W. Cowell and Catherine Cowell, George Wharton, Nicholas Fenwick, Capt. John Murchison, Hugh Glass, Richard Davies Ireland, Edward Augustus Atkyns etc.

Historical information

Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.

Postcard - Kew Cemetery [c.1905]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Panoramic view of the entrance driveway in Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery. At left can be seen the Springthorpe Memorial, and further down on the left the entrance gate, or one of the gates, to the Memorial.

Historical information

This view of the Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery is dated to 1905 by the inscription and postmark on the reverse. It provides an important visual record of this part of the Cemetery. The postcard can be used to identify the original configuration of the roads and vegetation, some of which was subsequently removed (eg the bunya pine at right). On the Victorian Heritage Database, the construction period given for the Springthorpe Memorial is given as 1897-1907, yet this view of the Memorial in 1905 would suggest that it was virtually completed at an earlier date. (It should be noted that additions such as the wheel of life sculpture were not completed until 1910).

Significance

This dated photograph is historically important as its inscription confirms it to be one of the earliest postcard representations of the Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery. It also provides visual evidence of the size and extent of the landscaping by 1905, particularly the layout of the roads (now altered), plantings of the period, and the extent of the land occupied by the Springthorpe Memorial and its gardens, which was subsequently reduced by the trustees of the cemetery in the 1930s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on reverse: "Miss Brown / Shuan [sic] / Grosvenor Street / M. Brighton. Love from Mother Oct 28th 1905" Postmark: "Melbourne 8 / 2 PM, 28/10/05".

Photographs - Exhibition, Victorian Fashion: the 1860s, Kew Library, 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of three costumes exhibited at the Kew Library, all donated by Netta Fuller, and dated to the 1860s.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Iridescent Silk Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two piece olive green and gold shot silk dress comprised of a skirt and top. The very full skirt has a scalloped edge front panel with bands of grey/green silk ribbon. The scalloped panels seem to be backed with later lining fabric (sic). The bodice has decorative buttons at the front from the high round neck to the waist. The bodice, like the skirt has a scalloped panel at the front, which is edged with ribbon.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Silk, Pale Green Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two piece pale green and gold shot silk dress comprised of a skirt and top. The very full skirt has a scalloped edge front panel with bands of grey/green silk ribbon. The scalloped panels seem to be backed with later lining fabric (sic). The bodice has decorative buttons at the front from the high round neck to the waist. The bodice, like the skirt has a scalloped panel at the front, which is edged with ribbon. 1860-70.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Brown Silk Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Tan/Rust-coloured silk bodice and skirt. The silk used in the garment is self-patterned with a leaf design. The bodice has extensive gold and silver coloured glass beading. The silk used in the sleeves of the bodice and the skirt is badly degraded/‘shattered’.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Gloves, White Kid, 1960

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of white kid gloves with pearl buttons. The gloves were worn by the Mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson at the Centenary Ball of the City of Kew with her steel grey velvet evening dress. The gloves were made by Dent's. The dress was donated by Mrs Judith Goodes, a daughter of Cr. Dickinson.

Historical information

Kew was declare a separate municipality in 1860. To commemorate this, a number of events were held in Kew, including a Centenary Dinner Dance in 1960 at which the speakers were Sir Robert Menzies and Cr WHS Dickinson. As the mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson accompanied her husband, wearing these gloves and a grey velvet evening gown.

Costume - Evening Dress, Grey Velvet, 1960

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Evening dress, made of unlined grey velvet, worn by the Mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson, (wife of Cr WHS Dickinson), to the Kew Centenary Dinner Dance in the Kew Civic Hall. The dress has matching gloves. The dress was donated by Mrs Judith Goodes, a daughter of Cr. and Mrs. Dickinson.

Historical information

Kew was declare a separate municipality in 1860. To commemorate this, a number of events were held in Kew, including a Centenary Dinner Dance in 1960 at which the speakers were Sir Robert Menzies and Cr WHS Dickinson. As the Mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson accompanied her husband, wearing this dress.

Microfiche - Council Minutes, City of Kew, 1861-1946

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Box containing copies of the Council Minutes on microfiche, donated to the Society by the City of Kew. Handed over by the Mayor, Cr Martin in 1988.

Historical information

The Municipality of Kew was formed in 1861. These minutes date from that year and continue until 1946. During those 85 years, Kew became a borough, a town and in 1921 a city. Kew was forcibly amalgamated into the City of Boroondara in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew Council Minute Books, Books 1-29 (1861-1946)

Manuscripts - Visitor Books (3), Fairyland, 1949-1950

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

3 manuscripts, part of a larger donation forming the Rogers Collection, donated by the sons of Dorothy Rogers after her death in 1973. The pads record the names and comments of children and adults to a tourist attraction named Fairyland in Malmsbury Street, Kew.

Historical information

Fairyland, the home and garden of Jim and Grace Tabulo was a major local, state and international tourist attraction from the 1940s to the mid 1960s.

Significance

These are amongst the earliest primary sources relating to the internationally renowned 'Fairyland' cottage in Malmsbury Street, Kew. Their social significance is that they record in the immediate post war period the values and beliefs of children and adults who visited this historically significant tourist attraction.

Photograph - House, 43 Malin Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Federation era house with side veranda and gabled front, identified as 43 Malin Street, Kew (Vic)

Photograph - Kew Football Club, 1906

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

This photo of a junior Kew football team dates from 1906. While the team is wearing a range of centre-laced guernseys, at least seven players wear a dark guernsey with a pale sash. Players identified in the photo include: the captain, Jack Allen, middle row, third from left; George Allen on the right in the striped jumper; and Lex Allen in the front row. Alva Allen, who donated the photo in 1986 to the Kew Historical Society, noted on the reverse that ‘most of these boys were killed in World War I’.

Photograph - Mrs Whitman and Child

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cabinet card, produced by Roberts of Glenferrie Road (Glenferrie), of Mr Whitman, a relative by marriage of the Padbury family of Kew.

Historical information

The Padbury family were early pioneers of Kew, running for over a century a funeral parlour in Cotham Road.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Horace Whitman with mother (nee Padbury)""

Photograph - Mr Whitman

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cabinet card, produced by Roberts of Glenferrie Road (Glenferrie), of Mr Whitman, a relative by marriage of the Padbury family of Kew.

Historical information

The Padbury family were early pioneers of Kew, running for over a century a funeral parlour in Cotham Road.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Whitman"

Photograph - First XI, Kew Cricket Club, 1911

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The first cricket club in Kew in was formed in 1863, and played its matches in Wellington Street, then later in O’Shaughnessy’s Paddock. In the early 1870s, a second club was formed and played at Victoria Park. The Kew Cricket Club gained its permanent name in 1888-89. This photo is of the first eleven in 1911. Standing left with bat: George Twycross; standing right: Albert Clements; Seated third on right: Albert Watson.

Photograph - Boys and Men Exercising, Children's Cottages (Kew), circa 1900

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large unframed photograph in poor condition of boys and men exercising at the Kew Cottages. The photograph once formed part of the collection of Dr Cliff Judge, resident psychiatrist at the Cottages, and was donated by one of his daughters in 2018.

Book - For the Love of Children: my life and medical career / by David Buxton Pitt, 1999

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

xiv, 208 p. : ill., ports. ; 30 cm.

Historical information

Dr David Pitt was Australian paediatrician. In 1959, he joined the Kew Cottages workforce, where he practised for 17 years and improved the conditions for the children. He was a pioneer in the identification of rare syndromes using computers. The Cottages anabled him to contribute to the day to day care of disadvantaged people in the Australian community, while continuing his research. Pitt left Kew in 1976. (Source: Wikipedia). This book by David Pitt once formed part of the collection of Dr Cliff Judge, resident psychiatrist at the Cottages, and was donated by a daughter in 2018.