Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2438 items

Household Textile - Handkerchief sachet

White cotton embroidered handkerchief sachet with

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile - Guest hand towel

White linen hand towel. Embroidered one end scalloped, edged the other. Embroidered with MAK. Salvage both sides.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

no image

Compass

Circular compass, marked by degree to 360. Metal case with cracked glass upper surface. Metal ? with brass pivot. North marked by an exterior metal knob

Inscriptions & Markings

Interior labelled with N,S,E, and W in large print. NW, NE, SE and SW in smaller print. Outer circle marks the degrees, notated in 20 degree steps Numbered KH311

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Container - Boomerang-shaped Dish, Metal, circa 1890

Key words

metal dish
art nouveau - australia

Diecast metal plate. Impressed with the figure of a naked figure with a wand in his or her hand touching the nose of a head (the moon?), causing it to sneeze. Lady lying on a bed of flowers. Three stoppers on the reverse to hold the plate above the surface.

Inscriptions & Markings

Numbered KH 374

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Document - Certificate of Qualification, Mental Attendant, Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria), 1945

Key words

herbert joseph chambers
kew mental hospital
department of mental hygeine - victoria

Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that Herbert Joseph Chambers has completed training and passed examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant. The document, dated 19th December 1945 is signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph [copy] - Hebert Joseph Chambers, Sydney, 1962

Key words

herbert joseph chambers
kew mental hospital

Small copy of an original photograph of Herbert Joseph Chambers, a member of the male staff of the Kew Mental Hospital, standing between two unidentified men at Circular Quay, Sydney. The donor believes his father, Herbery Chambers, was in Sydney attending a conference in 1962.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Notebook - SP Bookie's Record Book

Key words

herbert joseph chambers
kew mental hospital
gambling - kew (vic)

Small notebook, of which the cover is lost, including the names of male and female staff members at the Kew Mental Hospital, the amounts that they gambled and their winnings. It is presumed that the record was kept by Herbert Joseph Chambers, a member of staff between c.1945-70. The names in the book, including some of their aliases are arranged alphabetically. The prices are listed in pre-decimal currency, (i.e. before 1966). From the number of names listed in the book, it must have been a very extensive SP betting ring.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Key words

art therapy
kew mental hospital
kenneth bailey
herbert joseph chambers
dr eric cunningham dax

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Key words

art therapy
kew mental hospital
kenneth bailey
herbert joseph chambers
dr eric cunningham dax

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Key words

art therapy
kew mental hospital
kenneth bailey
herbert joseph chambers
dr eric cunningham dax

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Key words

art therapy
kew mental hospital
kenneth bailey
herbert joseph chambers
dr eric cunningham dax

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Key words

art therapy
kew mental hospital
kenneth bailey
herbert joseph chambers
dr eric cunningham dax

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wallet - James Griffin, Edgbaston ~ Brown Leather Lockable Flap Wallet

Key words

cases
wallets
edgbaston
james griffin
withymoor works

Brown leather wallet with inserted gussets to side and brass plate with lock to front and a fold over flap with brass fitting which clips shut and can be locked and leather double stitched casing to back for inserting a belt with key to lock inside.

Historical information

Edgbaston is now an affluent suburb of Birmingham. The relation of the owner, James Griffin, to the donor (a resident of Kew) has not been identified. 'The Gentleman's Magazine' of 1845 contains a reference to the death of Mary, aged 12, at Brighton, the daughter of James Griffin of Edgbaston and of Withymoor Works, Dudley. (p.325). Coincidentally, James Griffin, a manufacturer of Withymoor Works was issued with a patent for his improvements in the manufacture of "spades, shovels, and such like tools" on 5 October 1843. Withymoor Works was owned by James Griffin & Son

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on lock: "James Griffin, Edgbaston"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Desk Set - Inkstand: Wrought Iron, Glass, Ceramic, circa 1890

Key words

inkwell
inkstand
writing equipment
deskset
wrought iron

Wrought iron inkstand consisting of two heavy glass ink wells with china inserts and one iron lid.

Significance

Believed to be used at a Kew Baby Health Centre

Inscriptions & Markings

Base:Rd.No. 519422. Lid:Rd.No.512422.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - 'Copy Shop', Old Masonic Hall, Walpole Street (Kew), 1970s

Key words

copy shop - walpole street - kew (vic)

Two polaroid photographs, Thea Sartori in a red jumper is in both photographs. Another person identified in one photo is Aileen Cahill. Both photos were taken at the 'Copy Shop' in the old Masonic Hall (now demolished).

Historical information

The Copy Shop was a community organised facility.

Inscriptions & Markings

front: "Copy Shop"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Railway Viaduct, Kew (Vic), 1919

Key words

railway viaduct
chandler highway

Photograph of Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra, Fairfield. Looking toward Lugton Street, showing fence underneath taken from the Chandler Highway.

Historical information

Bridge designed by John Monash

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra Fairfield, H0276, Property of Miss Foley

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Baton - Volunteer Constable's Truncheon, 1926

Key words

1926 police strike
volunteer constables
truncheons
batons
police equipment

Wooden truncheon with cord loop to handle used by volunteer constables during 1926 Police Strike. Issued to Leslie J Robertson of Sackville St Kew

Historical information

Used by volunteer constables during 1926 Police strike. Issued to Leslie J Robertson of Sackville St Kew to assist in protecting the stores in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographs - Grip of Time, Kew Civic Hall, Cotham Road (Kew), 1983

Key words

sculpture - kew (vic)
peter schipperheyn (1955-)
kew library

Four photos of the presentation of 'The Grip of Time' to the City of Kew by Mrs Laurel Abercrombie. Sculpture by Peter Schipperheyn. Sculpture mounted on the north wall of the Kew Library.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra

Key words

chandler highway
railway bridges - kew (vic)
sir john monash
outer circle railway
river yarra - kew (vic)

Black & white photograph of the railway viaduct over Yarra River looking south towards Kew.

Historical information

This photograph forms part of the Eric Sibly collection of images and information relating to the Outer Circle Railway which he donated to the Kew Historical Society in 1974. Heritage Victoria Citation (Abridged) "The Chandler Highway Bridge, a 137 metre wrought iron lattice-truss girder bridge with four spans supported on red brick piers with moulded bluestone cappings. The bridge has a cantilevered walkway along the west side. ...The Chandler Highway Bridge crosses the Yarra River and connects Alphington and Kew. It was completed in November 1890 as part of the Outer Circle Railway Line.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Pre 1930. Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra (now Chandler Highway) - note bridge over line on Kew side for Asylum Farm". KH - 56. Kew Historical Society.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Souvenir - Travel Souvenir, Toy Llifebuoy, R.M.S. China

Key words

toys
rms china
travel souvenirs - ships - voyages

Wooden lifebuoy with external cord attached by cotton tape.

Inscriptions & Markings

Souvenir of RMS China painted on lifebuoy along with the two flags

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Main Street, Kew

Key words

horse tram kew
clifton hotel - kew junction
ryan's council family hotel kew
horse tram - kew (vic)
kew junction

Black & white photograph of a postcard showing Main [High] Street, Kew looking south west showing horse drawn tram centre.

Historical information

Image copied from older postcard (c.1890-1900) showing horse drawn vehicles and a horse tram. Since then, the southern side of the street has been widened. Businesses identified in the photograph include the Ryan's Council Family Hotel, the Greyhound Hotel, the Clifton Hotel, the ES&A Bank and Jellis' Bakery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse - "High St Kew looking down from Post Office to Kew Junction"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Audiovisual - The Outer Circle: Melbourne's forgotten railway

Key words

railways
outer circle railway

2-DVD set on Outer Circle Railway.

Historical information

Documentary on the Outer Circle Railway, which ran from Oakleigh to Fairfield, and was opened in 1891, with the last train running in 1943. Features Dr David Beardsall, Dr Crystal Legacy, Rod Atkins, Kevin O'Shaughnessy, Sr Helen-Mary Langlands

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Wedding Dress, Swiss Guipure Lace, 1969

Key words

wedding dress
bridal frock
hartnell of melbourne
golda whelan

White slim line lace wedding dress, featuring eleven self-covered buttons down centre back Off centre rear opening done up by metal press studs. The dress has a silk satin lining and netting underskirt.

Historical information

Golda Whelan, a designer with Hartnell of Melbourne designed this frock for her daughter Liane Whelan. Liane married John Merry at St John's Anglican Church in Toorak in 1969

Significance

The dress was manufactured in the 'house' of Hartnell of Melbourne, a leading Melbourne Fashion House in the 1950s and the 1960s.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artwork - "South Wing" - Xavier College / by Joy Stewart, 1978

Key words

joy stewart
xavier college - kew (vic)
schools - kew (vic)

Pen and wash drawing, set in an external card mount, depicting the south wing of Xavier College, Kew by Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "South Wing" - Xavier College." Signed lower right: "JStewart 78".

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Containers - [Pair of plastic milk bottles, Model Dairy, circa 1960]

Key words

dairies - kew
model dairy - cotham road - kew (vic)

Pair of plastic milk bottles, designated on the front as to be used in the refigerator on on picnics. One bottle has a red screw on lid and the other a green lid. The bottles are semi-transparent. [The record also includes a photograph of Vic Sabaliauskas, provided by his son. The photograph dates from the period when he was employed at the Model Dairy].

Historical information

This pair of milk bottles, produced for the Model Dairy in Cotham Road, Kew, were donated by Vik Sabaliauskas. They belonged to his father who worked at Model Dairy in the 1950s and 1960s. Vik wrote about his father: "As for my father, his whole life story is interesting. He was part of the big immigration program after WW2. He was a displaced person in Germany like lots of others who came out looking for a new life. Our family name is actually SABALIAUSKAS which is of Lithuanian descent. My Dad was also named Vik (Viktoras). He was known as Big Vik and I was little Vik. He arrived in Australia in 1947 and then did his 2 years of work organised by the Government and then he came to Melbourne. We lived in Tyler St Preston and he rode his pushbike to and from Kew every working day for years. In my estimation that was about 13 kms for about 6 or 7 years. Imagine that happening today. Freezing Winter mornings and hot Summer afternoons. His English was poor but he had a great work ethic like all European immigrants. His duties related to maintaining and operating all the machines. One story that he told me about was that after I was born (in 1959) he made friends with one of the drivers who delivered milk to the dairy. He asked him to get a container of milk from the farmer everyday which was just for me. I remember going to the Model Dairy Family Christmas parties which were always well patronised. I also remember visiting him in the PANCH Hospital (Bell Street Preston) where he was treated for kidney stones caused by drinking very creamy milk. He wasn't happy when he was told by the doctor to cut back on milk. My Dad was one month short of his 95th birthday when he died and he lived a pretty healthy life." (2019)

Inscriptions & Markings

Impressed on the front of both bottles: "Unbreakable picnic and refrigerator bottle made expressly for Model Dairy Pty Ltd Cotham Rd Kew"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Personal Effects - Handkerchief sachet

Key words

personal effects
handkerchiefs
bags
sachets
pouches

Padded purple silk handkerchief bag/sachet with pink braiding and applied lace. The sachet contains three handkerchiefs bordered with lace.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Newspaper article - Kew Floral, Art & Industrial Society

Key words

kew floral industrial and art society
amy grigg
sunday school competitions - 19th century - kew (vic)

Article describing this 1897 local exhibition of art and industry, opened by the Mayor of Kew, Job Smith, which includes notable attendees and the award winning contestants.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Document - Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Attendance No,18744, 1891

Key words

education - victoria
joy ivory
amy grigg
kew primary school

Certificate of Exemption published by the Education Department, Victoria, stating that Amy Grigg had completed the required years of schooling under The Education Act 1872.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Certificates - The Kew Floral, Industrial & Art Society, 1889

Key words

amy grigg
mrs albert watson
joy ivory

Five certificates awarded to Amy Grigg of Pakington Street Kew in competition for prizes awarded by the Society. The certificates are stored in the 'Kew Floral, Indutrial & Art Society' archive file with other items relating to Amy Watson (née Grigg) the mother of Joy Ivory. A supporting document, a newspaper article from 1889, accompanies the documents.

Historical information

The exact dates in which the Kew Floral, Industrial and Arts Society flourished is unclear. We do know however that it was part of a more widespread series of completions involving 'juveniles' from church Sunday schools in the 1880s and 1890s. The newspaper article which is part of this collection of documents, while undated, states that the exhibition grew out of the activities of the Congregational Church Sunday School in Walpole Street, Kew (Vic)

Significance

The items in the Amy Grigg collection, including awards, items of appliqué and embroideries etc reveal much about the artistic and social activities in a suburb like Kew in the late 1880s.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Embroidered Vest Tunic, 1970s

Key words

mcintyre collection
women's clothing
australian fashion - 1970s
vests

Black wool vest with a lace up front. The vest is heavily embroidered in an abstract multicoloured floral motifs. It is lined with a fine olive green silk.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Evening Dress: Cream Silk, 1970s

Key words

mcintyre collection
women's clothing
evening wear
australian fashion - 1970s

Cream silk evening dress with applied ribbon and flowers. The dress has a high round neck and buttoned sleeves and cuffs. It has a zip at the back with hooks and eyes at the neck.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Matyo Apron, Northeast Hungary

Key words

mezökövesd
aprons - hungarian
matyo embroidery

Rectangular apron worked in three panels, the lower two of which are backed. The waist tie is of a floral fabric. The tape is attached to both vertical sides. There is a black fringe attached to the bottom panel over floral printed fabric. The needlework techniques employed in the embroidery include flat stitch which is used to create the effect of quilting and creating large brightly coloured flowers in the middle section.

Historical information

The Matyó region of Hungary, which includes Mezökövesd is known for its rich costume traditions, specifically embroidery. Matyó embroidery is a densely-patterned style of free-hand work in rich and colorful floral motifs. Its prime era was the 1860s and 1870s when the folk arts thrived. This example characterizes the dynamic color combinations and flower varieties of the Matyó tradition.

Significance

The textile is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Paisley Shawl, 20th century

Key words

paisley shawl
shawls

Machine woven paisley shawl, based on traditional hand-woven Kashmiri designs, produced in large numbers in Europe in the second half of the 19th and also in the 20th centuries. The first mechanised production of such shawls was made possible by the invention of the Jacquard loom in France in the 1820s.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Japanese embroidered panel

Key words

textiles - japanese
textiles - embroideries
vaughan-smith collection

Multi-coloured silk embroidery on a deep pink silk backing fabric of vines, flowers and leaves, featuring a central embroidered medallion of pheasants amongst wisteria blossoms. The pink silk base fabric has condition problems including damage due to exposure and folding. There may be some evidence of shattered silk.

Historical information

The textile is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Souvenir of Palestine, circa 1939-45

Key words

second world war 1939-1945
table cover
palestine
2nd aif
souvenir
textiles - embroideries

Rectangular blue faded to grey velveteen water damaged textile with a plain white cotton backing with a red fringe. The front of the textile is embroidered in red, yellow, blue and white chain stitch. It shows two palms flanking the Mosque of Omar lower centre with three camels and a man on a horse below, Rachel's Tomb with tree upper left and David's Tower upper right.

Historical information

Souvenir probably bought by an Australian soldier in the 2nd A.I.F., and brought back to Australia as a souvenir.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Souvenir of Palestine"; "Rachels tomb"; "Mosque of Omar"; "David's Tower"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Scarf, embroidered with a needle, north Indian, 19th century

Key words

women's clothing
indian embroidery
shawls
scarfs

North Indian scarf [or girdle], hand-loomed of fine wool and heavily embroidered by needle at the ends and sides with multicoloured silk thread surrounding the central rectangular black field. The highly detailed embroidery includes stylised images of foliage and flowers. There is old damage to parts of the textile.

Historical information

The embroidered scarf was donated to the Kew Historical Society by Janet Gibson.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile - Panel: Cotton Applique on Linen, 19th Century

Key words

textiles
applique

Textile comprised of five panels which are all appliquéd by hand in herringbone stitch using a range of decorative figurative motifs of varying sizes and shapes including flora and fauna. The base textile is a cream linen while the appliquéd figures or shapes are made of printed cotton. The quality of the herringbone stitching is very fine. Additional embroidery in red wool is more amateurish. The main panel is bordered by a narrow green and ecru braid. It has a narrow tan braid at the top and bottom of the two side panels. A surrounding tan braid around the entire textile is missing in some places. The textile shows evidence of being used as a decorative hanging.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Blue Woollen Two-Piece Suit, 1960s

Key words

australian fashion - 1960s
women's clothing - suits

Navy blue heavy woollen suit comprising a short waist-length jacket and skirt.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Cocktail Dress: Gold Satin with Beading on the Bodice / by Phil Bacon, 1950s

Key words

phil bacon
cocktial dresses
women's clothing
australian fashion - melbourne - 1950s

Gold satin cocktail dress, gathered at the waist with beading on the bodice, designed by Phyl Bacon.

Historical information

Phil Bacon was one of a number of Melbourne fashion designers who emerged in Melbourne following the Second World War.The outfit was once owned and worn by a resident of East Kew.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Uniform for Female Librarians, Kew Library, 1980

Key words

uniforms - public libraries - kew (vic)
women's clothing - uniforms
kew municipal library

Royal blue Kew Library uniform, manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear made of 65% polyester and 35% rayon. The uniform is closed by a zip.

Historical information

Female librarians at the Kew Municipal Library in the City of Kew (Vic) were in the past required to wear standard royal blue uniforms. This uniform, the earlier of two in the collection was manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Uniform for Female Librarians, Kew Library, 1972

Key words

uniforms - public libraries - kew (vic)
women's clothing - uniforms
kew municipal library

Royal blue Kew Library uniform, manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear. The fabric is 65% polyester and 45% viscose. It is buttoned at the front.

Historical information

Female librarians at the Kew Municipal Library in the City of Kew (Vic) were in the past required to wear standard royal blue uniforms. This uniform, the earlier of two in the collection was manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Minicrini: Blue Wool / by Vivienne Westwood, 1980s

Key words

mcintyre collection
vivienne westwood
womens clothing
international fashion - london - 1980s

Blue woollen 'minicrini' by the British designer Vivienne Westwood. The items was donated by Annie McIntyre and worn with an accompanying Westwoood twinset.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by women in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Inscriptions & Markings

A note written by Dione McIntyre accompanying the item describes its relevance and use: "Vivienne Westwood 3-piece ensemble purchased in London in the 1980s - consisting of navy 'twin set' and balloon skirt - worn with long white socks and dark flat shoes. Donated by Annie McIntyre."

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Twin Set : Blue Wool with Embroidered Logo / by Vivienne Westwood, 1980s

Key words

mcintyre collection
vivienne westwood
womens clothing
international fashion - london - 1980s

Navy blue woollen twin set designed by Vivienne Westwood. The twin set was worn with a wool minicrini by the same designer.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Inscriptions & Markings

A note written by Dione McIntyre accompanying the item describes its relevance and use: "Vivienne Westwood 3-piece ensemble purchased in London in the 1980s - consisting of navy 'twin set' and balloon skirt - worn with long white socks and dark flat shoes. Donated by Annie McIntyre."

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Evening Wear: Long Dress & Pants, Silver Lamé, Jinoel of Melbourne, 1960s

Key words

australian fashion - melbourne - 1960s
jinoel of melbourne (vic)
mcintyre collection
womens clothing
evening wear

Round-necked and sleeveless floor-length silver Lamé evening dress and pants by Jinoel of Melbourne. The loose dress features a long split up the side, through which the pants can be seen.

Historical information

Jinoel of Melbourne was a fashion company founded by Jill and Noel Kemelfield in 1957. The company won Gown of the Year in 1968.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Evening Dress, Brown & Gold Acetate, 1980

Key words

mayors of kew (vic)
cr. kaye cole
international fashion - france - henry chavin
bianca - sydney
women's clothing
evening wear

Brown acetate evening gown, and floor-length evening coat retailed by Bianca, Sydney, and manufactured under licence to Henry Chavan, Lyon & Paris. The sheer fabric of the coat is decorated by the use of pile weave, forming a floral pattern of velvet outlined in gold thread.

Historical information

This example of evening wear from 1980 is one of two pieces in the collection owned and worn by Kaye Cole.This dress was bought for and worn by Cr Kaye Cole, Mayor of Kew 1979/80, to a Mayoral Dinner on Friday 25 July 1980. An accompanying seating plan lists the attendees including the Governor of Victoria, the Victorian Premier, State and Federal parliamentary representatives and distinguished guests from neighbouring municipalities. The evening dress was donated to the Society by Kaye Cole on the occasion of an interview on 6 August 2018 relating to the period on which she served on Kew Council as a representative of North Ward (1973-6) and Prospect Ward (1978-85) and her achievements as mayor.

Significance

The dress is extremely well provenance and can be linked to an important event in Kew's history.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Cocktail Dress & Coat: Satin & Organza, 1960s

Gold embroidered dress and organza coat, the latter held by a large button at the neck. The outfit is part of the Sartori collection donated in 2006.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Evening Dress, Floral Crepe, 1930s

Key words

australian fashion - 1930s
women's clothing
evening dresses

Full length floral crepe evening dress with squared neck and short puffed sleeves.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Dress: Blue Rayon with Full Pleated Skirt, 1950s

Sky blue ballerina length dress

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Outerwear, Sanfor, 1930s

Key words

sanfor
outerwear - 1930s
women's clothing
uniforms

White cotton apron dress with blue trim, with a label on the inside collar "Sanfor". Sanfor refers to Sanforization which was a process used to treat cotton fabrics, patented by Sanford Lockwood Cluett (1874–1968) in 1930. It is a method of stretching, shrinking and fixing the woven cloth in both length and width before cutting and producing, to reduce the shrinkage which would otherwise occur after washing. The items was donated by Teresa Mayer.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew