Stories Organisations Projects Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614
Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items

SPECIAL AWARD to No 1 FORGE O.F.M. - 4th LIBERTY LOAN (1943)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Permanently sealed brown stained wood frame with a glass face. Enclosed behind the glossy glass is a triangular shaped pennant made of red felt material. The red colour appears to be somewhat faded. The inscriptions and markings on the pennant are in blue, gold, and white coloured inks.

Historical information

O.F.M. was the ORDNANCE FACTORY MARIBYRNONG. Up to the end of June 1943 and at a time when the wages were about £5 ($10) to £6 ($12) per week Australia had spent £1,106,000,000 (£156 per head) on the war effort. A lot of the money was spent at home in making war necessities such as armaments, munitions, boots, clothing, and in providing special training. Significant increases in numbers occurred in the personnel employed in the fighting services, and also in the work force involved in the war effort. During the financial year 1942-1943 the war cost Australia £561,743,000 (over a billion dollars), while the Income Tax raised from individuals totalled only 16.5% of this amount. To finance the war the Australian government had previously borrowed money from the public, and from institutions such as the savings banks, friendly societies, and life assurance societies, by running three successfully subscribed Liberty Loans. The institutions had contributed considerably more money to these Liberty Loans than the public, however it can be argued that the public members of these institutions had also contributed some money indirectly. The 4th Liberty Loan which opened on 5 October 1943 and closed on 9 November 1943 was intended to raise £125,000,000, with the government aiming for 750,000 subscribers. Bonds costing £10 each could be bought on a time payment scheme. A total of £126,408,000 was raised at two different interest rates and maturity dates, however the number of subscribers had only reached 567,533. Some newspaper reports of the time indicate that the low number of subscribers was a partial failure of the loan, because spare money in the community could lead to inflation at a time when goods were in short supply. The government set target quotas on how much money should ideally be raised in a particular district, and how many subscribers should ideally take part. Often these quotas proved to be excessive. The Special Red Pennant Award as given to the No 1 FORGE O.F.M. was normally for achieving the highest per capita contribution within each particular group. What is unknown at this stage is what other entities were in the same group, or how large the group was. There were other variations of the awards such as those given to country districts, where a star was placed on the left hand corner of the pennant if the money quota was reached, while two or three stars indicated that the quota was doubled or tripled. A bar was also included on the pennant if the quota of subscribers was achieved, while two bars indicated double the quota of subscribers. The above information was sourced from Trove newspaper articles at: (1) http://nla.gov.au.nla.news-article70439716, (2) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141292541, (3) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11797265, (4) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11788072, and from (5) http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1070158--1-.PDF (see page 580).

Significance

This framed award has significance in that it serves as a historic reminder that the No 1 Forge O.F.M. and the Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong once existed within the Shire of Braybrook, and later the City of Sunshine, and that it was involved in the manufacture of ordnance for World War 2. It also serves as a historic reminder that it costs a huge amount of money for a country to be involved in a major war, and that a big contribution is required from the public to raise money and to produce goods for the war effort.

Inscriptions & Markings

The AUSTRALIAN COAT OF ARMS diagram plus the following writing: SPECIAL AWARD / 4th LIBERTY LOAN / Oct.-Nov. 1943 / No 1 FORGE O.F.M.

School Uniform - SUNSHINE WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Four items of girls school uniform plus 3 metal badges: (1) Dark blue blazer with school insignia on the left breast pocket. (2) Blue and white striped frock. (3) Light grey v-necked jumper with dark blue, light blue, and pink stripes around the neck and the cuffs. (4) Dark blue tie with light blue and pink diagonal stripes. The 3 badges are School Captain, House Captain, and Form Captain.

Historical information

Sunshine West High School started in 1960 with classes held in the old church and the church hall of St Mark's Anglican Church, Sunshine, Victoria, 3020. The school transferred to Lachlan Road, West Sunshine when the new building was completed. In 1961 the proportion of students from European background was almost 52% and those of British-Australian almost 48%. By 1965 the number of students totalled 699, with 28 of them being the first to do the Form 6 (Year 12) Matriculation exam. By 1969 the number of students had increased to the point that some classes were held in shelter sheds. In 1992 the multi campus Sunshine College was formed through the amalgamation and restructure of six schools: Sunshine West High School, Sunshine Technical School, Ardeer High School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine High School, and Tottenham Technical School. The last two school sites were closed and are now occupied by Victoria University and the Tottenham English Language Centre respectively. Sunshine West High School became the junior West Campus of Sunshine College. The style of school uniform displayed here is not used by the Sunshine College. The girls had two sets of uniforms, one for the summer and one for the winter. The frock and blazer (as displayed) were for the summer but a grey straw hat, grey socks, and black shoes were also part of the compulsory uniform. The displayed grey v-necked jumper could be worn in both summer and winter. The winter outfit consisted of a blue shirt, a tie (as displayed), a grey box pleated tunic, blazer, grey stockings, black shoes, a blue felt hat and grey gloves. Of particular interest is that the boys did not have to wear the feminine looking style of grey jumper with the pink and blue stripes. They wore a dark blue jumper. There was a 'uniform inspection' carried out after the Monday morning assembly and the Prefects had the task of policing students to make sure that they wore the full complement of items, both to and from school. The 3 badges indicate that the female student was a member of the School Council, which had replaced the Prefects around 1969 or 1970, and she was also Captain of one of the 4 Sports Houses and of her Form. Sources of information: (1) http://www.sunshine.vic.edu.au/history.htm (accessed 4/11/2015). (2) Book - 'Harvester City' by Olwen Ford (page 412). (3) Discussions with two former students.

Significance

Sunshine West High School played a significant part in the secondary education of local children, however the school had a relatively short life span in its own right during the latter part of the twentieth century. The items of girls school uniform, the school insignia, and the 3 metal badges serve as a historical reminder of the previous existence of the school, and of the colours and designs of these items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Insignia on blazer - SWHS / COURAGE AND WISDOM

Document (1948) - Signatures of Helen Keller, and her companions Polly Thomson and Marion Fatuson

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown stained wood frame with glass face enclosing a beige paper with three signatures and a typed white paper section describing reason for the signatures.

Historical information

In 1948 during her Australian tour Helen Keller visited the west suburban SUNSHINE GIRLS TECHNICAL SCHOOL, to express her thanks for a letter written by the students in support of her work with deaf and blind people. She and her travelling companions presented the school with their signatures. Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 and due to an illness at the age of 20 months lost both her sight and hearing. Helen was taught to communicate by Anne Sullivan who wrote words into her hand, and she also learned to speak by touching the throat and lips of people as they spoke. In June 28, 1904 Helen Keller graduated from Radcliffe College with a Bachelor of Arts degree, being the first deaf and blind person to do so. In October 1914 Polly Thomson joined up with Helen and Anne. Helen published an account of her religious beliefs and an autobiography, and in 1930 the three women travelled to Scotland, England and Ireland. In 1931 they participated in the first World Council for the Blind. After Anne Sullivan Macy died in 1936 Helen and Polly continued to travel to several countries. In 1943 Helen visited blind, deaf, and disabled soldiers in a USA military hospital, which she described as "the crowning experience of my life". In 1946 Helen and Polly made their first world tour for the American Foundation for the Overseas Blind and over the next 11 years visited 35 countries. In 1955 Helen became the first woman to be honoured with an honorary degree from Harvard University. In 1960 Polly Thomson died, and in 1961 Helen suffered her first stroke and so retired from public life. In 1964 President Johnson conferred the Presidential Medal of Freedom however she was unable to attend the ceremony. On June 1, 1968 Helen died in her sleep, and her ashes have been interred with those of Anne and Polly at the National Cathedral. Over 1200 mourners attended the funeral.

Significance

It is significant that Helen Keller actually took the time and effort to visit the Sunshine Girls Technical School to thank the students for their supporting letter. Helen Keller's many achievements show that a severely handicapped deaf and blind person can make significant contributions to society, if they apply themselves and receive assistance from dedicated friends.

Inscriptions & Markings

Helen Keller, Polly Thomson, Marion Fatuson, 11.5.48

D324 WRENCH - H. V. McKay

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Curved double ended rusty cast iron wrench with 4 open slots plus 2 closed slots

Historical information

This type of wrench or spanner was used as a service tool for H. V. McKay Pty. Ltd. manufactured agricultural machinery. This specific tool belonged to Albert (Bert) Montgomery of 11 Kamarooka St, Albion. Bert Montgomery was born in Sunshine and in 1910 was apprenticed as a carpenter with Sunshine Harvester Works, where he worked as a wood machinist. On 19 August 1914, while still an apprentice, he enlisted in the First AIF. He left McKay's and started business as a builder probably just prior to WW2. After the war he joined the Shire of Braybrook as Assistant Building Surveyor until he retired. In 1962 Bert and his friend Jack Causon (proprietor of an Anderson Road second hand store that previously was Les James grocery) were on a fishing trip to Lake Tooliorook (aka Ettrick) near Lismore, Victoria. Their boat capsized and both fishermen were drowned. Bert was a Past President of Sunshine RSL and at that time it was reported that his funeral was the largest that Sunshine had seen. The information about Bert Montgomery was supplied by a Committee member of the Sunshine & District Historical Society Inc. who spoke to Montgomery's daughter, who also donated the tool.

Significance

This tool serves as a reminder of the large H. V. McKay agricultural manufacturing works that once existed in Sunshine. The tool is associated with the works, and the design is significant enough for images of the tool to be used in an artistic mural, which is painted on the Eastern Pillar of the new H. V. McKay Footbridge in Sunshine, Victoria 3020.

Inscriptions & Markings

'H V McKAY' on one side and 'D324' on the reverse side

Photograph (1960) - SUNSHINE TOWN HALL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

This picture of the Sunshine Town Hall is a copy made from an unknown printed article. The building no longer exists.

Historical information

This building once contained the municipal offices and a public Town Hall for the City of Sunshine. The building was demolished and on the site the R.T. Pollard Gardens were established. The Gardens are shown in the second photograph.

Significance

Although the council built new municipal offices in Alexandra Ave, a Town Hall for public use was never rebuilt. The council considered that there were other halls available, such as the Mariana Hall or school halls, which could be hired for public or council functions.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE TOWN HALL Saturday 21st May 1960

Booklet (2013) - LIONS CLUB of SUNSHINE 60th Anniversary Dinner, 10 May 2013

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

White paper booklet of 20 pages with blue printing and a blue and yellow Lions International emblem on the front cover. The booklet contains the dinner Menu and the Programme for the evening, as well as a summary of the 60 years of activities of the LIONS CLUB of SUNSHINE. It also features the names of the 61 Club Presidents, the members who received awards, and an Honour Roll.

Historical information

On 12th May 1953 a meeting was arranged by the Lions Club of Footscray, and was held at the home of Bill Harvey in Sunshine, with the intention of forming a club in the Sunshine area. The first official luncheon was held on 3rd June 1953 at the Sunshine Town Hall and was attended by representatives from Melbourne, Footscray and Essendon Clubs. After the membership reached 25 the Lions Club of Sunshine was Chartered on 21st July 1953, and became the 5th Club in Victoria and the 17th in Australia. Over the years the club raised funds through various activities to provide charitable donations to organisations, people, and disaster areas, as well as to purchase house and land for a Senior Citizens Club. It became necessary to sell the house and land years later. The Lions Club also contributed to the Sunshine Swimming Pool which was opened in December 1960, and was welcomed by the children of Sunshine. Some of the activities to raise funds included Guy Fawkes bonfire nights, rodeos, paper and bottle drives, jumble sales,Tivoli Gala Nights, car raffles, and sausage sizzles. Over the past 10 years the Sunshine Lions have put in thousands of hours of work, and have disbursed in excess of $200,000 for charitable purposes. As well as supporting overseas projects and natural disasters, the Lions have continued their community work. Funds have been donated to care providers such as the Mercy Hospice and Scope, and also used to provide Christmas hampers and dinners, and for underprivileged children to have holidays. Some of the organisations that have recently received funds were Helping Hands Across the Pacific, Gellibrand Services, Royal District Nursing Service, and the Sunshine Mission. During 1960/61 the club membership reached a record 58, however at the time of the 60th Anniversary dinner the membership was 17, three of which were in their seventies and 3 in their eighties. The above brief historical information was sourced from the 60th Anniversary Dinner booklet.

Significance

This booklet is significant because it contains an 11 page summarised historical record of the 60 years of activities of the Lions Club of Sunshine. It also contains an Honour Roll of past members and of members who received awards, as well as the names of the 61 people who served as Club Presidents from W.T. Harvey (1953-54) to P. Green (2012-13). The booklet can be used as a starting reference source for anybody seeking information about the Lions Club of Sunshine Inc.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIONS L INTERNATIONAL / Sunshine / 60th Anniversary Dinner / Italia Room, Club Italia Sporting Club 128-152 Furlong Road, North Sunshine / Friday 10th May 2013

Photograph - Three Old Sunshine Factories

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The image depicted in this photographic copy is believed to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and shows the NETTLEFOLDS, SPALDING, and the PHOENIX FIREWORKS factories. These factories were located in North Sunshine on the north side of Ballarat Road near Albion Station. Nettlefolds and Spalding are on the corner of Ballarat Road and McIntyre Road, with Nettlefolds being on the west side of McIntyre Road and Spalding on the east. Phoenix Fireworks factory is composed of small huts, and is situated on the north side of Phoenix Street at the rear of the Spalding factory. The photograph also shows a row of residential houses on Garnet Street which is on the east side of the Phoenix factory. Ballarat Road is still an undivided road and on the south side is a plantation of trees that once stretched from near Albion Station to Anderson Road. Other roads visible are Suffolk Road and Westmoreland Road.

Historical information

These three factories clustered together and close to Albion Station provided manufacturing type of employment for several decades. All the factories have now disappeared and have been replaced by retail or service businesses. Spalding has been replaced by a Bunnings Hardware store, while the main retail outlet on the Nettlefolds site is Harvey Norman. Ironically part of the Phoenix Fireworks site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, as well as other small businesses including a smash repair business, and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The photograph provides a historical record of some of the types of manufacturing industries that existed in Sunshine, before retail or service industries began to replace them. Many of the younger generation do not know that fireworks, screws, or some sports items were manufactured in Sunshine not so long ago, and where the factories existed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Screw Works

Map (1939) - RAILWAYS OF VICTORIA, Including Passenger Mileage, 4 April 1939

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Map showing the RAILWAY LINES of VICTORIA plus PASSENGER MILEAGES as of 4.4.1939. The white map with black printing is enclosed within a glass faced brown stained wooden frame.

Significance

Historical record of the railway line system in the state of Victoria in 1939. Many of the railway lines no longer exist.

School Magazine - SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL - 'A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Bright yellow covered 40 page book with green and white printing on the cover. A large emblem of the no longer existing SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL is featured on the front cover, and a smaller version is on the back. The magazine is described as "A Scrap Book of Memories", and covers the years 1957 to 1997.

Historical information

The Sunvale Primary School was situated on Neil Street, near Hertford Road, Sunshine, on the former Moons paddock. The school was officially opened on the 9th of October 1957 with an enrolment of 214 students. Most of the students were transferred from the overcrowded Sunshine, and Sunshine East Primary Schools. The acting head teacher and five temporary teachers came from the East Sunshine Primary School from which about 170 students also came. During the later years the school operated as part of a three campus primary school complex formed between Sunvale Primary School, Sunshine East Primary School, and Braybrook Primary School. After the modern Sunshine Harvester Primary School was built on the East Sunshine Primary School site, the students from the Braybrook and Sunvale schools were transferred there. Sunvale Primary School was closed on 9th September 2009.

Significance

The magazine is a historical record of the initial 40 years of the school and of activities associated with the school. It contains the names of the Principals, from Mr. Bartels in 1957 to Mr. A. Dash in 1997, and also the names of Chairs of the School Council, from Mr. F. Sanford to Mr. T. Cuddy. It also features articles on the history of the school, the mothers club, the parents & friends members, special events & features, class & staff photographs, sport, and has a memories section. The special events & features section includes the school ball, camps, the Governor's visit in 1995, and Sunvale's famous Olympian staff member Pam Kilborn.

Inscriptions & Markings

SUNVALE Primary School S/PS HONOURS WITH HONOUR A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Brownies Uniform - 3rd North Sunshine

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two clothing items: (a) Beret - Brown woollen beret with a sewn on Brownies cloth badge. (b) Dress - Brown sleeveless cotton dress with 2 metal badges attached and 6 sewn on cloth badges.

Historical information

Prior to 1996 young girls (7 - 11years) in the Girl Guide Association were known as Brownies. About circa 1983 this beret and dress were worn by a girl named Rebecca who was a member of the 3rd North Sunshine Pack - West Metro region. The 3rd North Sunshine Brownies were located in Furlong Road, North Sunshine 3020 (Melway 26 G6).

Significance

This brown uniform is a historic reminder that at one stage Brownies existed as part of the Girl Guide Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

3rd Nth Sunshine Pack - West Metro, 19 April Action 83, Venture, Footpath

Honour Board - CHAIRMEN of BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT 1860-1871 and PRESIDENTS of SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK 1871-1950.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Large brown stained wooden structure comprised of two board sections positioned side by side to make one display board. Contains in gold coloured lettering the names of people who served as CHAIRMEN of the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT and as PRESIDENTS of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK during the years 1860 to 1950.

Historical information

By around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established, and during the gold rush period also became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for the area began on 28th May 1860 when the BRAYBROOK ROAD BOARD DISTRICT was proclaimed, however this authority was soon superseded on 23rd January 1871 when the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK came into existence. The Shire of Braybrook continued as the local government authority for the district until the CITY OF SUNSHINE was proclaimed in 1951. This Honour Board was unveiled on Monday 18th March 1940 at 8:30 p.m., and was hung in the Council Chamber, at the Shire of Braybrook Hall, Sunshine.

Significance

The Honour Board is a historical record of the people who served as heads of local government in the district from 1860 to 1950.

Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Colour printed paper sales poster which is laminated within a glossy plastic film. The poster shows a happy caricature boy flying through the night sky while sitting on a large sky rocket. The sky is full of exploding fireworks, and on the ground several happy caricature children are letting off fireworks.

Historical information

There were at least two different coloured sales posters depicting the same images, a yellow poster and a grey poster. It is unknown whether these were in use at the same time or whether one type preceded the other. Repaired images of the two posters placed side by side can be seen in the 2nd photo. The repair work was done by a volunteer at our Society with the aid of Microsoft Paint. Fireworks were manufactured in Sunshine Victoria from the early 1890's by the PHOENIX FIREWORKS CO. The factory was located a short distance to the north of Ballarat Rd, on the corner of Phoenix St and McIntyre Rd, North Sunshine. For safety reasons the factory consisted of small separated huts to minimise the damage in case one blew up. Images of the factory and the workers from Circa 1920's can be seen in the 3rd and 4th photos. Fireworks were readily sold by shops to the general public, including children, for celebrating Empire Day on May 24 and Guy Fawkes Day on November 5. Because of injuries, damages, and fires, sales to the general public of exploding fireworks such as bangers and crackers, were banned in Victoria in 1974. By 1982 sales of other fireworks, except for items such as sparklers, were also banned. Despite the bans some of the public still manages to obtain fireworks from other sources to this day, as evidenced by the many discharges on each New Year eve. The factory no longer exists and ironically part of the site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and several small businesses, including a smash repair business and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The poster shows the attitude that previously existed, where children and the general public could readily purchase and legally discharge fireworks. For safety reasons this attitude is now frowned upon by the authorities.

Inscriptions & Markings

PHOENIX FIREWORKS SOLD HERE

Display Book - Local Historical Images - Remember when.... Sunshine Landmarks!!!

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

A4 size display book containing older pictures of landmarks in the SUNSHINE locality, plus recent images of the same sites. Images range from the 19th Century to 2010.

Significance

The image compilation provides a historical record of old landmarks in the Sunshine area, and also provides images of what the sites look like in recent times.

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Photographs - WHITE CITY

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two low aerial photographs of the White City Coursing stadium (Greyhound racing), plus a CD containing the same two images as well as a few other local images. The Coursing stadium was located about 500 metres from the Tottenham railway station on the down line towards Sunshine station. The photographs are thought to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and one shows the view from the north facing south, while the other from the west facing east. The latter also shows built up areas of West Footscray and beyond.

Historical information

The White City Greyhound racing stadium was built at Tottenham in 1927, with the intention that mechanical lures and not live hares be used as pacemakers. The first meeting was held on 10 December 1927 but within 3 days, after strong lobbying by other sports bodies, the Victorian Government banned betting on greyhound racing if mechanical lures were used instead of live hares. This caused some financial problems to the shareholders. For a time the average weekly attendances were 9000, and races were held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Whippet Races, Goat Races, Monkeys on greyhounds, and Professional Foot racing were also tried to attract attendances. After 28 years of bureaucratic interference, and using live hares as greyhound pacemakers, the White City stadium held its last meeting on 29 December 1955. On 31 December the Victorian Government finally allowed betting on greyhound races that used mechanical lures. Manufacturing industry (Olex Cables) took over the White City site. Transport to the White City stadium was provided by train, with only a single platform available on the Down side of Tottenham, even though double train lines existed. Special train services were run from Flinders Street to the White City platform, and for a while a parcels coach was provided for the transport of dogs. As industry developed in the area some trains also stopped at the White City platform in the mornings and late afternoons to transport workers. In 1981 when the grade separation at Ashley Street next to the Tottenham station was completed, the new train lines on the Upper Level came into operation, and so the White City platform was closed down and eventually demolished. The above historical information was sourced from the booklet "GOING TO THE DOGS" by Tom Rigg.

Significance

Greyhound racing has always been popular in Melbourne's western suburbs. The White City stadium in Tottenham was a major centre for the sport until 1955, enabling those who could not afford race horses to take part in an animal racing sport. The demolition of first the stadium and years later the railway platform, has relegated the name White City and its past relevance to the western suburbs, into history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Only on the negatives at the State Library. We do not hold a copy of these.

Seed & Fertilizer Drill Panel

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown rusty cast iron end panel from a Seed & Fertilizer Drill

Historical information

The item is an end panel from the box section of a "SUN' Seed & Fertilizer Drill. It was manufactured by H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. at their agricultural machinery manufacturing plant in Sunshine Victoria. The date of manufacture is estimated to be somewhere between 1921 and 1930 because of the imprint H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. According to the Museum Metadata Exchange (http://museumex.org/oai/mv/2749) the Sunshine Harvester Works was reformed as H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. in 1921 and in 1930 it became H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd after a merger with the Canadian farm machinery manufacturer Massey Harris. The two events in 1921 and in 1930 are also confirmed by Churchward, M. (2006) at (http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2010).

Significance

This early 20th century item is a relic of the agricultural machinery manufacturing past of Sunshine Victoria. The company started by H. V. McKay no longer exists and neither do the subsequent manufacturing companies H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd., and the later Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Limited. Manufacturing has disappeared from this site being replaced by a shopping centre and other retail outlets, high rise apartments, law courts, police station, Vic Roads, and soon will house the new Brimbank Council offices and library.

Inscriptions & Markings

"SUN" / SEED & FERTILIZER DRILL / H.V. McKAY PTY. LTD / MAKERS / SUNSHINE / D879

Artwork - CORONATION

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Wood structure, comprising of a brown stained frame enclosing a green background, which is dedicated to the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2. Screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on to the green board with thin wire to form the artwork. At the bottom of the frame is a brass plate with Nettlefolds Pty Ltd engraved in script lettering.

Historical information

This artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork dedicating the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, and displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Pty Ltd.

Photograph (1954) - Flooded Bridge

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

1954 Photograph of KOROROIT CREEK in flood and overflowing the DERBY RD BRIDGE in Sunshine. Short time later this bridge was declared unsafe and closed to vehicle traffic. The Sunshine Technical School building is in the background.

ICI Industrial Agreement (1952) - Between Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia (Victorian Branch) and Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand Limited

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

20 page white paper booklet with brown stains and some wrinkling both possibly resulting from water contamination. The document is legible.

Significance

This 1952 document provides a historical record of the type of some of the manufacturing jobs at ICI Deer Park, and the pay scales and working conditions for the various jobs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Filed on Principal Registry Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration 22nd September 1952

Photograph (1930) - LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD - Original Employees

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph of 122 original employees of LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD plus key list of names of the employees. The key list is situated above the wide panoramic photograph, and both are enclosed within a glass faced black stained wooden frame.

Historical information

Photograph of employees and possibly others at opening of I.C.I. FABRICS (LEATHERCLOTH) P/L, Deer Park Victoria in 1930.

School Clothing - SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The collection contains SEVEN ITEMS of clothing from the former SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL of which images of SIX are individually displayed here. The clothing items are: (1) Grey wool/nylon V-neck jumper with green and red stripes bordered by thin black stripes, around neck, waist and cuffs. (2) Black cap with green panel containing a red STS logo on front of cap. (3) Green acrylic/nylon sleeveless football guernsey with wide red V-shaped band on front. Only one of the two guernsies is shown. (4) Green cotton collarless, short sleeve, and button up tracksuit top with red and black stripes around the sleeves and on both sides of the buttons. (5) Green cotton button up tracksuit short leg pants with red and black stripes along outside edge of legs. (6) Green cotton sports bib with black STS logo on front.

Pennant - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Triangular shaped pennant made mainly from maroon coloured felt material, with yellow felt material used to make an edging stripe and two suspension loops along the short side of the triangle. Blue and yellow coloured inks are used to print the Sunshine High School 'SEEK LIGHT' logo and 'Sunshine hs' in antique style lettering.

Historical information

These pennants were introduced by Sunshine High School around 1959 in an attempt to instil among the students, a greater pride for the school. This particular pennant was hung for many years on the bedroom wall of the original student who bought it. It was later in the possession of a younger sibling who commenced going to Sunshine High School 19 years after the original student.

Significance

Sunshine High School existed in its own right for a relatively short time from 1955 to 1991. The school buildings now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. This pennant is one of the few items in our possession which serve as a reminder that Sunshine High School was once part of the secondary education system in the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Sunshine hs"

Trench Art - BULLET SPOON

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Chrome plated teaspoon with a discharged .303 bullet for the handle.

Historical information

This piece of functional Trench Art was made by Stewart Noble during World War 2 (circa 1940) while serving on a Mine Sweeper among the Pacific Islands. It is believed that the bullet spoon was chrome plated after the war, while he worked at the Government Aircraft Factory. Trench art is described as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war, or civilians where the manufacture is directly linked to a war. The making of trench art was a popular past time during leisure hours at the front, where skilled military personnel created the items. Common examples of trench art are decorated shell and bullet casings, and items carved from wood and bone. Trench art has been in existence since the Napoleonic wars however it was most common during World War 1, and to a lesser extent during World War 2.

Significance

This bullet spoon has historic significance because it is an example of the type of functional or artistic small items, that were made from war scrap during spare time by soldiers or other personnel associated with a war. This particular item indicates that a reasonably high degree of skill was required to make the bullet spoon.

Photograph (1905) - BRAYBROOK JUNCTION STATION

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Monochrome photograph showing Braybrook Junction Station and the Signal Box, plus station personnel. One of the personnel is holding a 'Staff' which was actually the authority for the train to proceed to the next Station or Signal Box. Photograph has substantial crazing in the upper left corner, a long diagonal crease, and dog eared corners.

Historical information

The Braybrook Junction railway station was opened on 7th September 1885 at the junction of the railway lines to Ballarat and to Bendigo. In 1904 H. V. McKay purchased the Braybrook Implement Works nearby, and in 1906 he moved his Sunshine Harvester Works agricultural machinery business from Ballarat to Braybrook Junction. In 1907 the station and township were renamed Sunshine after the Sunshine Harvester Works. On 20 April 1908 (Easter Monday), Sunshine station was the scene of the biggest train disaster in Victoria, when 44 people were killed and 400 injured from the 1100 people that were aboard the two trains. A Melbourne bound train from Bendigo collided with the rear of a train from Ballarat. There is a memorial plaque on platform 1 at the present Sunshine station. Sunshine station has recently been undergoing a complete rebuild. On 20 January 2014 the station, although not yet completed, was opened for train use, after being closed for several weeks.

Significance

This photograph is significant because it is a reminder that the present Sunshine station and the nearby area were once named Braybrook Junction. It also shows what the Station, the Signal Box, and the station personnel looked like in circa 1905.

Inscriptions & Markings

BRAYBROOK JUNCTN

Photograph (1963) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Black and white photograph of the former hospital which was of weatherboard construction, and which was located at 9 King Edward Ave, Albion Vic.

Historical information

The hospital was established (circa 1920's) by the Carruthers sisters, who both were qualified nursing sisters. It was later known as St Andrews. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. Many local people were born in this hospital. The First Annual Report for period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947 states that there were 182 births, and that 413 patients were admitted. The daily average of patients during this period was 15.3 of whom 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members. It ended its use as a hospital in 1989, and the buildings were demolished to be replaced by residential units.

Significance

This was the main hospital in the Sunshine area serving the local residents for several decades. Its usefulness as a local hospital became irrelevant when the significantly larger Sunshine Hospital in Furlong Rd became operational.

Certificate (Photocopy) - Certificate in Appreciation of services with the Australian Armed Forces

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Yellowish background. Grey scale diagrammatic image of warships, tank, and aeroplanes at the top. Vertical posts with swords and wreaths along the sides. At the bottom a diagrammatic image containing in colour the Union Jack and the Australian flag, the Shire of Braybrook Coat of Arms, the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces insignia, and a red coloured circular seal.

Historical information

Corporal Hugh Terence O'Reilly VX108560 was born in Temora, NSW on 25 September 1916. He later lived in Hampshire Road, Sunshine, Victoria, and enlisted at Sunshine with the Australian Army on 29 July 1942. He served in New Guinea, and at the time of discharge on 8 November 1945 was posted with the 22 Australian Infantry Battalion. Additional service number recorded is V37790. In civilian life Hugh Terence O'Reilly was employed in the manufacture of fibrous plaster boards.

Significance

The significance is that the Shire of Braybrook, and perhaps other councils, recognised their citizens who served in the Australian Armed Forces during World War 2, by presenting them with Certificates in appreciation of their military service.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Hugh T. O'Reilly. The President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook desire you to accept this Certificate in appreciation of your services with the Australian Armed Forces, and extend to you the grateful thanks of this Municipality for your noble effort for King and Country. Given under the Seal of President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook, this second day of August, 1946. J. R. Parsons - President, 'illegible' - Shire Secretary

Air Raid Precautions (ARP) badges

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Pressed metal round badges with pins. Main feature of badges is the large whitish lettering ARP on a red background. A black outlined crown and the word VICTORIA in red on whitish background is also on the badges. At the bottom of the badges in black are the letters DC plus the numbers of the badges.

Historical information

Mr Webb King was an Air Raid Warden during World War 2. These badges were found when his workshop was being cleared out, and so were donated to our society. The badges in our possession do not have the word WARDEN printed on them, like the image of the badge shown on the Darebin Heritage 'Air Raid Protection Services (ARP)' publication, or the image of a badge offered for sale on ebay. At this stage we are uncertain of why this is so. If anybody knows the answer then please leave a message on this site. During World War 2 Australian municipalities were expected to take precautions against air raids, with the Government campaigning to recruit men over 45 to be volunteer Air Raid Wardens. It was also common for women to become wardens. Wardens carried gas masks, helmets, and rattles or whistles. The wardens received 7 to 8 one hour sessions of training, and their chief duty was to advise people of precautions to take, and to ensure those precautions were taken. Air Raid Precautions included air raid drills, shelters (usually trenches), first aid, fire fighting, rescue of 'gassed' persons, evacuation drills, demolition and repair squads, monitoring of blackouts. Melbourne was deemed vulnerable to aerial attack because of its centralised port and industrial facilities and so Anti-aircraft guns were installed in Maribyrnong. By early 1942 more than 60,000 people voluntarily carried out Air Raid Precautions duties according to the Autobiography of Robert V. J. Padula OAM. As the threat diminished during 1943 and 1944 the need for air raid precautions was slowly reduced, and some shelters (trenches) were filled. The two photos showing Air Raid Wardens are out of copyright and have been sourced from the 'Argus Newspaper Collection of Photographs, State Library of Victoria.' The image showing one warden on Swanston Street Melbourne has been cropped to remove extras not connected with the photo. Other sources of information for this report are: (1) http://bpadula.tripod.com/autobiography/id100.html, (2) https://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/underattack/mobilise/precautions.asp, (3) http://heritage.darebinlibraries.vic.gov.au/article/57.

Significance

The ARP badges are a historic reminder of the precautions that were taken in Victoria during the early years of World War 2. The precautions were an effort to minimise the harmful effects of a theoretical air raid. The war started to turn and so an air raid never came, however many people received valuable training in what precautions needed to be taken.

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Numbers of the badges are: DC 361, DC 362, DC 364, DC 368, DC 370, DC 374, DC 375, DC 376, DC 377, DC 379, DC 388, DC 389.

Factory Rules (1913) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, January 1913.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Blue faced, white cardboard document folded into three sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - January 1913.

Book - Prefects Pledge - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Small brown hardcover book with cream pages. Contains the Prefects Pledge hand written in black ink, and the signatures in blue and black inks of boy and girl Sunshine High School Prefects from the years 1958 to 1971

Historical information

Sunshine High School had the system of Prefects being elected by the students from candidates nominated by the teachers. It is unknown whether the exact number of votes each elected Prefect received was ever released to the students. Prefects were used to supervise the behaviour of other students, and to book them for offences such as not wearing caps on the way to and from school. In the Pledge book there are empty pages after 1971 so it is unknown whether the signing of the Prefects Pledge was abandoned after then. Sunshine High School existed in its own right in the Melbourne suburb of Sunshine for a relatively short period between 1955 to 1991. The school amalgamated with the following five secondary schools: Sunshine Technical School, Tottenham Technical School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine West High School, and Ardeer High School to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The buildings of the former Sunshine High School on Ballarat Road now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University.

Significance

The book is a historical record of the names and signatures of the Prefects that signed the Prefects Pledge, and served the Sunshine High School over the 14 years between 1958 to 1971 inclusive. It also contains the names and signatures of witnesses to the signatures.

Plaque - COAT OF ARMS - Shire of Braybrook Victoria

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Circular board of Masonite painted by A. H. Walker which is a true depiction of the Coat of Arms for the Shire of Braybrook. It is mainly blue, yellow and red coloured with black writing, and has images of a cow, sheep, and hay, and also indicates a reference to industry.

Historical information

From around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established and became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for this rural area to the west of Melbourne came when the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT was proclaimed on 28 May 1860. This authority was superseded on 23 January 1871 with the formation of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK. The Shire of Braybrook existed for about 80 years during which time it experienced significant industrial growth. The Shire of Braybrook ceased to exist in 1951 when the CITY OF SUNSHINE was formed.

Significance

The Coat of Arms informs the observer that the Shire of Braybrook was initially a rural area with its images of a cow, sheep, and hay. The reference to industry however probably does not indicate adequately the large growth in industrial activity that occurred within the Shire.

Inscriptions & Markings

Shire of Braybrook Victoria / Dieu Et Mon Droit / By Industry / A. H. Walker

Autobiography - Life and times of Arthur J. Templeton

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Typescript in a maroon display book with a maroon binding. Contains autobiography of Arthur J. Templeton.

Historical information

Autobiography as told by Templeton, Arthur John. Typed and edited by David Templeton (Arthur's brother) from November 1991-July 1992.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIFE & TIMES OF ARTHUR J. TEMPLETON

Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Dark blue, silver, and clear plastic sticker on right hand top corner of glass plate that previously was a side window of a car. Sticker has been left on the glass in case removal may damage it. BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB.

Historical information

A meeting was held on 18th August 1947 at the East Sunshine Community Hall with the aim of forming a motor cycle club. The name BRAYBROOK MOTOR CYCLE CLUB was decided upon "as it would cater for riders and non-riding members in all surrounding districts". The first President was Don Minahan with Bert Watson as Secretary. They had been members of the Auto Cycle Union whose members became dissatisfied with the prize money awarded, so the Victorian Motorcycle Association (VMCA) was formed. The President of the VMCA (Mr. A. Clarke) attended the meeting on 3rd September 1947 which was held in the Hall behind the Sunshine Theatre. This became the regular meeting place. The new Braybrook Club affiliated with the VMCA joining clubs from Altona, Coburg, Essendon, Newport and Preston. Membership mostly came from recreational motor bike riders looking for more structured competitive riding experience and enjoyment. The club conducted its events on Sunday afternoons and as sport at that time was not permitted on Sundays, they overcame that obstacle by seeking a silver coin donation (pointing out that "two bob" was expected). The events were mainly dirt scrambles over open land which today is known as "off road". The favourite sites were Sunshine's ample open spaces such as Glengala Road and McIntyre Road, as well as Arundell Road (Keilor) and Laverton. For track racing experience the club formed a very basic dirt track on the open land in Glengala Road west of the original Sunshine Golf Club, which was very popular on Sunday afternoons for both riders and spectators. In the early 1950's Motorbike and Sidecar races were also witnessed on some Sundays, on a track near the corner of McIntyre and Furlong Roads, North Sunshine. During 1950 the Braybrook members voted in favour of allowing the Sunshine Club to amalgamate with them and form the BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB. The merger took place at the meeting on 10th July 1950 when office bearers were elected. The club disbanded in the mid 1960's due to the massive residential development occurring in the Sunshine district, and so activities were merged with the Newport Club. The above information is mainly compiled from Sunshine Advocate articles published on 29/8/47, 12/9/47, and 30/6/50, and from written details supplied by Mr. J. N. Willaton. Further details or corrections from interested readers are welcome.

Significance

The Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right for several decades. The sticker depicting the club crest serves as a historical reminder that the club was once part of the local recreational scene.

Inscriptions & Markings

Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club

Princess Mary 'Tin' - Bullet Pencil - War Service Medals

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brass rectangular box with an embossed and hinged lid. The lid features the profile of Princess Mary with an 'M' on each side, and the names of Britain's allies in 1914. The pencil fits into the brass bullet casing to give the appearance of a bullet. The WW1 British medals are: 1. 1914 - 1915 Star, 2. British War Medal 1914 - 1918 (Silver), 3. Allied Victory Medal.

Historical information

A 'Sailors & Soldiers Christmas Fund' created by Princess Mary had overwhelming response and so it was decided to give every person 'wearing the King's uniform on Christmas Day 1914' the brass tin along with a Christmas card and a picture of the princess, and items such as pipe, lighter, tobacco, and 20 cigarettes. Non-smokers and boys received a bullet pencil and a packet of sweets. Indian troops often received sweets and spices, and nurses received chocolates. Many of the items were sent separately from the boxes because of lack of space. Not all the tins could be sent out by Christmas and so those sent in January 1915 contained a New Year card. Shortage of brass meant that many did not received their tins until summer 1916, however by January 1919 some still did not receive them. After using up the contents many service people then used the tins to store small items. The brass tin, bullet pencil, and medals belonged to Pte George Nutting of the 2nd London regiment, and regimental number 2080/230442. After World War 1 George Nutting sailed for Melbourne on June 1, 1922 aboard the S.S. Borda. He then lived at several addresses in the Sunshine/Albion area including Dawson St, 32 King Edward Ave, and 15 Kamarooka St. At one stage he was involved in a window cleaning and gardening business, and both he and his wife Janet were very good dancers. George Nutting was also involved in the loyal Sunshine Lodge and was presented with a Past Grand's Collar in 1943. He lived at 15 Kamarooka St until he passed away on March 20th 1979 at the age of 85. The above information was sourced from http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_files/xmas-box-1914.htm (accessed 1/3/2014), and from http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/1329146/tin-princess-mary-s-Christmas-gift-1914 (accessed 1/3/2014), and from research work done by Eva and Marie of S&DHS.

Significance

The Tin and Medals provide a visible historical record of the Christmas gift, and the awards that the average WW1 British service person received about 100 years ago. The bullet pencil may indicate that Pte G. Nutting was probably a non-smoker, at least around circa 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

TIN: Imperium Brittanicum, Christmas 1914, Belgium, France, Servia, Japan, Russia, Monte Negro. MEDALS: 2080 Pte G. Nutting 2 - Lond.R

Galvanised Wash Tub

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Oval shaped galvanised iron tub with two rigid handles, one at each end. The top of the tub is larger than the base. The galvanising is deteriorating in some parts which show a whitish appearance. There are some small dents, and a few chips in the galvanising where surface rust has appeared.

Historical information

Many displaced people who migrated to Australia after World War 2 brought similar tubs with them as part of their luggage. The tubs were valued by the migrants because they were used for washing clothes and other laundry items, and for bathing children and even adults. The tub in our possession was brought out to Australia in 1950 by the Pierzak family who eventually settled in North Sunshine, Victoria. The following story about the Pierzak family has been provided by the daughter Halina Wlodarczyk (nee Pierzak). The father Stanislaw Pierzak was born on the 26th of July 1916 in Zbrza, and the mother Teodozja (Teodozia) Szalas on the 5th of March 1919 in Goleciny, both villages in the Kielce district of Poland. In 1940 they were both taken by the German Army to work as slave labour on farms in Germany. Stanislaw worked in the Saxonia area and Teodozja near Dillingen. The work was hard, and when Teodozja contracted pneumonia she was told that she would not be given any food if she did not work. After the war the displaced persons, as they were called, were settled in various barracks and camps organised by the United States Army. Stanislaw and Teodozja married in Gablingen, Bavaria, Germany, and Halina was born in the camp at Gablingen in 1949. The displaced people were given the choice of several countries if they wanted to migrate from war torn Germany, and so the Pierzak family chose Australia. The Pierzak family set sail from Naples, Italy aboard the ship General M. B. Stewart and arrived in Sydney on the 17th of April 1950. The men and women had to stay in separate quarters, and many passengers were so sick that they did not think they would survive the journey. In Australia they lived in migrant camps in NSW at Bathurst, Orange, Parkes and Cowra. To pay off their fares to Australia migrants were required to work under contract for 2 years. Stanislaw Pierzak worked in Broken Hill NSW returning to visit his family every 3 to 4 months. The son John was born in the Red Cross building at the Parkes camp in 1952. In 1953 the whole family moved to Melbourne and lived in a converted garage in Victor Street, North Sunshine. In 1954 the family bought a bungalow on a block of land in Compton Parade, North Sunshine, where eventually they built a house. Stanislaw Pierzak worked at Steelweld in Ashley Street, Braybrook travelling there on his bicycle, while Teodozja Pierzak found work at Smorgon in West Footscray. Stanislaw and Teodozja Pierzak lived in North Sunshine for the rest of their lives, and Mrs Pierzak always said that Sunshine was the best place in the world.

Significance

Tubs like this which belonged to displaced people were highly valued possessions and are of historic significance. They were brought out to Australia after World War 2 by many migrating displaced families. The tubs were used for washing activities in the camps in Germany, and the migrant camps in Australia, and also when people lived in bungalows in Australia before they built houses with laundries and bathrooms.

Inscriptions & Markings

The number 70 is stamped on both sides.

Photographs (1928) - 'QUARTER MILE' BRIDGE Construction

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Five B&W yellowing photos showing stages of construction of the Maribyrnong River Viaduct known as the Trestle Bridge but mainly known locally as the QUARTER MILE BRIDGE. It is a railway only bridge which runs over the Maribyrnong River between Sunshine North and Keilor East. A sixth image, which is not part of this set of photos, is included to show what the completed bridge looks like.

Historical information

One man lost his life during the building of this bridge. The bridge was constructed by the Victorian Railways between 1927 to 1929 to carry a new double track goods line. This enabled trains from all parts of the state except Gippsland to have direct access to the Tottenham marshalling and sorting yards. These yards were constructed in the 1920's to relieve congestion in the Melbourne Yard near Spencer Street station. The congestion was being caused by the construction of suburban passenger platforms associated with the electrification of the suburban railway network. Initially the bridge was for goods trains but during the Second World War it was also used by troop trains. When the standard gauge line was built in 1962 all trains to Albury and Sydney have used this route, thus avoiding travelling through Essendon and Pascoe Vale on the suburban tracks. The standard gauge track across the bridge took the place of one of the broad gauge tracks so broad gauge trains crossing the bridge in either direction have to now use the same track. The bridge is 1,257 feet (383.13 metres) long and 180 feet (54.86 metres) above the water level. It is just 63 feet (19.2 metres) short of a quarter mile in length between abutments. There is a similar bridge on the same railway line crossing the Moonee Ponds Creek between Gowenbrae and Glenroy, however it is smaller at 1060 feet (323.08 metres) length and 115 feet (35.05) height.

Significance

The bridge is now Victorian Heritage Registered under Number: H1197, and Heritage Overlay Numbers HO5, and HO107. On the Heritage Register it is named RAIL BRIDGE (ALBION VIADUCT). According to the Heritage Report the bridge is scientifically and architecturally important because of its large size, and because of the cost effective design features such as two girders per span (one for each track), the K bracing in the towers, and the broad flange beams as columns. When it was being built it was the largest trestle bridge in Australia, and until the Sydney Harbour bridge was constructed it was the highest railway bridge.

Replica of McKay Smithy

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown wooden building with bark roof. This building is a FULL SIZED REPLICA of the original SMITHY that was used by H. V. McKay.

Historical information

This Smithy is a replica of the building in which the first H. V. McKay harvester was built at Drummartin in northern Victoria in 1884. The original Smithy was moved from Drummartin to Sunshine Victoria where it remained for many years outside the H. V. McKay manufacturing plant. With the construction of the standard gauge railway line the road outside the Smithy was demolished, and the original Smithy was taken to the Melbourne Museum.The original Smithy is now in a fragile state and is no longer on public display at the Melbourne Museum. The site where the original Smithy stood in Sunshine was no longer available so the replica Smithy was erected a few hundred metres away, in the South East corner of Barclay Reserve on King Edward Ave, Albion 3020.

Significance

The replica Smithy permits the public to view a full sized model of the building which eventually led to the formation of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works. This firm grew to being considered the main manufacturing plant in the southern hemisphere, and also led to the local area being renamed in 1907 from Braybrook Junction to Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE HARVESTER WORKS 1884

Honour Board - SPALDING 25 Years Service Roll

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown stained wooden board with wave shaped top which is about 14 cm less wide than the base. The names of employees who have provided 25 years of loyal service are recorded on the board in gold coloured lettering.

Historical information

The Spalding factory was located at the intersection of Ballarat Rd and McIntyre Rd in Sunshine (North East corner). The factory made sporting goods, and in 1972 Spalding acquired T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd which was a major manufacturer of footballs used in Australian Rules football games. In the early 1990's the factory in Sunshine was demolished and replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware store to be erected in Victoria. In July 2003 Spalding was bought out by the Russell Corporation.

Significance

The board is a historical record of the loyal employees who provided at least 25 years of service to Spalding or to T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd.

Inscriptions & Markings

The board contains the names of 50 workers who had reached the 25 year service milestone at SPALDING, and also the names of 4 employees who did the same at T. W. SHERRIN Pty Ltd. The first people reached this milestone in 1950 and the last person is recorded as reaching this in 1981.

Book - Seek Light - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Front cover has a maroon coloured background with a pair of diagrammatic light blue hands reaching towards an orange and yellow source of light. The words SEEK LIGHT and SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991 are also on the front cover. The rear cover is plain white coloured. The book contains 68 pages plus the covers.

Historical information

In December 1954 the Parents Association was formed and met at the Sunshine State School. In February 1955 classes commenced with First and Second Form students accommodated in several local Halls. In May 1955 the students transferred to the new building. Over the years many children with overseas background attended the school. The school ceased to exist in its own right in 1991, and amalgamated with five other local secondary schools to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The former Sunshine High School buildings on Ballarat Road are now part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. The book contains photographs and written articles from the school years as well as photographs of those attending the 1991 reunion. The history of the school is covered in this book under the headings: (1) Beginnings, (2) The Sixties, (3) The Seventies, (4) The Final Years, and (5) Vale. The major historical feature of this book is however the 17 pages of Staff and Student names, and the years they were at the school.

Significance

This book is of historic and research significance. As well as providing some of the history of the school, the book has a comprehensive list of the staff and students that were at the school. Researchers will be able to determine the numbers of students commencing each year, the ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and especially in the early years determine the spelling of the Surnames and Christian names of many students with overseas backgrounds. In the 1950's some Primary School teachers had the habit of changing students European Christian names to the English versions, and so the new names may have carried on to High School enrolment. For example some students named Ryszard were enrolled as Richard. Many students however were enrolled with correct ethnic spelling of their names. Although the list of students names appears to be comprehensive until about 1985, it appears to fail after that. It is known that some students names are missing in the final years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside the front cover is an acknowledgement by John Scott to the work of the 1991 Reunion Committee for the production of the book, with eight people and their roles specifically named. The secondary title of the book as written inside on page 1 appears to be "Sunshine High Reflections 1954 - 91"

Base Plate - New H.V.McKAY FOOTBRIDGE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Stainless steel oval shaped plate with four holes for mounting to mesh sides of the walkway on the bridge. The plate has engraved lettering and lines intended to replicate a Sunshine Crossbar gate.

Historical information

The steel mesh and crossbar sides of the new H.V.McKay footbridge are designed to replicate the appearance of the old crossbar gates which were at the old H.V.McKay works. The new bridge contains 111 of these plates attached to the centre of all crossbar sections which enclose both sides of the walkway of the bridge.

Significance

The plate is a donated spare which was left over from the original manufactured plates that were attached to the new H.V.McKay footbridge. The plate is in our possession for safe keeping and for future reference.

Inscriptions & Markings

H.V.McKAY SUNSHINE (The small c is underlined which can't be replicated on this data base)

Voters Roll (1979) - WESTERN WARD of the CITY OF SUNSHINE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Printed foolscap size pages bound with 2 metal fasteners at the top. Yellow coloured paper is used for the top and bottom covers. Contains names and addresses of eligible voters in the WESTERN WARD of the former CITY OF SUNSHINE.

Significance

The Voters Roll provides a 1979 historical snapshot of the names and addresses of property owners in the Western Ward of the former City of Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Particulars on the Roll are in the following order:- Property Assessment Number; Roll Number; Surname; Christian Names; Voter's Address; Owner Type; Situation or other description of rateable property./NOTE: Except as otherwise stated the rateable property is also the Voter's address."

Brown Paper Grocery Bags

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two brown paper bags which were available for free in SSW Supermarkets, so that customers could pack their grocery purchases to be able to take them home. The bags have SSW advertising printed on them in red, yellow, and navy blue inks.

Historical information

These type of brown paper grocery bags were commonly supplied by SSW Supermarkets, and also by other Supermarkets. The customers generally packed their own grocery purchases into the bags, while the checkout people were engaged in the time consuming process of accurately entering by hand, the price of each item into the cash registers. One local SSW Supermarket was situated on Sun Crescent in Sunshine. The introduction of stronger plastic film grocery bags and barcode scanning saved time, and the checkout person took over the role of packing the grocery purchases. In recent times customers who use the self check out terminals have again assumed the role of packing their own groceries. The environment polluting plastic bags however still remain, unless the customers bring their own 'green' bags.

Significance

These two brown paper grocery bags provide a historical reminder of how grocery purchases were taken home from Supermarkets in the not too distant past. It is likely that many of the younger generation have no idea of how the paper grocery bags looked like, or that they were once used instead of plastic bags.

Inscriptions & Markings

Large Bag: We Shop at .... SSW FOODSTORES STILL THE CHEAPEST DAY IN, DAY OUT! Smaller Bag: SSW SUPERMARKETS Still THE CHEAPEST DAY IN .... DAY OUT!

Receipt (1912) - HUGH V. McKAY - SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Very light tan coloured paper receipt No.1773 issued on 6/3/1912 by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay to Mr M. Norton. The receipt has fire damage on the left side and so some details are missing. Details are hand written in ink in the spaces provided. A greenish coloured one penny (1d) Victoria Stamp Duty stamp is affixed.

Historical information

Interpreting from the details that can be read it is believed that on 6/3/1912 Mr. M. Norton paid by cheque the sum of 5 Pounds 19 Shillings and 5 Pence, of which 5 Pounds 3 Shillings and 11 Pence was for a Summons possibly issued on 23/2/1912, while 15 Shillings and 6 Pence was the charge for the costs of the Summons. This is not a document issued by a Court of Law so use of the word 'Summons' is confusing to us at this stage. Was it just standard practice to send out a bill and call it a Summons, or was Mr. Norton late in paying and so had to pay an extra charge after being 'summoned' a second time. Could this receipt be part of a 'promissory note' exchange, payment for which had to be summoned? Another thing that can't be explained at this stage is the use of the symbol % after the amount of money written in figures, just after the Pence amount. The symbol for Pence in those days, and until decimal currency, was d as can be seen from the Duty Stamp. In 1912 and before did % also stand for Pence when the money amount was written by hand, or could it have been a shorthand way of indicating something like 'portion of amount'? This receipt is very intriguing and so we will endeavour to try to fully understand the information it contains. If any person can provide information that may assist us, then please contact the Sunshine & District Historical Society.

Significance

The receipt is significant to our Society because it was issued by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay more than 100 years ago. It also appears to contain information that at this stage is not fully understood, such as the use of the % sign, and why the word summons is used. Of further interest, but perhaps not surprising for the times, is that only Mr. is printed on the receipt. It appears that they never expected to issue these type of receipts to females.

Inscriptions & Markings

6 3 1912 ......ved by Cheque from Mr. M Norton ......ne the sum of Five ...... nineteen Shillings and five Pence, with ......being £5.3.11% of Enclosed Summons 23. 2.12 & 15/6 % Costs of Same.

Honour Board - PAST PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE and DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown stained wood particle board with picture frame type edging. The board has six straight sides however it is not typical hexagon shaped. The top is composed of three straight short edges to give an almost rounded edge to an otherwise oblong shaped bottom section.

Historical information

Friendly Societies originated in the industrial areas of the United Kingdom. The first society in Victoria was formed in 1839 and by 1913 more than half of the Victorian population was insured by Friendly Societies in some fashion. The societies were financed by Members' subscriptions and offered health benefits and other welfare services, before these services were provided by the government. Doctors were paid by the societies to treat members free of charge, and Dispensaries were established to provide members with subsidised quality medicines. The Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary was established on the 1st of March 1930 with a membership of 896, and it was located in Sun Crescent Sunshine. The membership grew to 1052 within 4.5 years, and the number of prescriptions dispensed in the 6 months prior to November 30,1935 totalled 10,535. The Dispenser was Mr. C. H. Semmens. Most Friendly Societies operated democratically with office bearers changed regularly to prevent power cliques. The Sunshine Dispensary appears to have operated in the same way as the societies that owned it. The Advocate of 10 July 1936 reports that the seven newly elected office bearers or delagates were from the Friendly Societies; A.N.A., M.U.I.O.O.F., P.A.F.S., and G.U.O.O.F. The names of all the seven people can be found on the Honour Board, indicating that they each have served at least one term as President of the Sunshine Dispensary. The health professions and the Labour Governments of the 1940's wanted to see the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care broken. The Commonwealth Free Medicine Plan appears to have been drawing customers away from Friendly Societies Dispensaries in general. The Sunshine Dispensary placed several advertisements in the Sunshine Advocate during late 1950 urging members to remain loyal to it. By the 1980's the increase in entrepreneurial clinics and the availability of take away medicine helped to vastly diminish the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care provision. The 1936 Sunshine Advocate refers to the Sunshine and District United Friendly Societies Dispensary, with the same office bearers as the Presidents on the Honour Board but on which the 'United' is missing from the name of the Dispensary. The 1950 advertisements were placed by Sunshine U.F.S. Dispensary of 23 Sun Crescent. It is thought that all three names refer to the same business, but the writer stands to be corrected. The above is a compilation of information sourced from Sunshine Advocates published in January and July 1936, and in September, October and November 1950. It also draws on an article written by Elizabeth Willis and published online by the the Department of History (University of Melbourne), and on an article written by Mr. Bill Kelly of the Australian Friendly Societies Pharmacies Association, and also on an article by Museum Victoria Australia. Corrections to what has been written are welcome from interested readers.

Significance

The Honour Board provides a historical record of the Presidents that served 61 terms on the Board of the Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary. It also provides a reminder that when a government does not adequately look after the welfare needs of its citizens, the people can band together to find ways of helping each other. The Sunshine Dispensary no longer exists, and a more recently established Community Pharmacy which operated in Hampshire Road could not compete against the discount pharmacies that have taken over. These new pharmacies sell a wide range of profitable product lines, as well as dispensing traditional prescription medications.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the board in gold coloured lettering are the names of 'brothers' and 'sisters' who served a total of 61 terms as PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE AND DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY, which was established on the 1st of March 1930. Eight of the men served more than one term with BRO. I. MILLER serving four terms, and BRO. F. RICHER serving three. The three women SISTER. I. REWELL, SISTER. C. JOHNSON, and SISTER. M.S. ARMSTRONG served one term each. There is no indication of when each person served, but it is believed that the term length was around six months and that the list is in chronological order. This conclusion results from seeing that BRO. W. ROONEY is the 11th listed President, and that the Sunshine Advocate of 10 July 1936 states that he was elected as the new President.

Club Badge - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown circular shaped leather badge with white printed lettering around the perimeter of the badge, and with a white printed motorcycle and rider in the centre.

Historical information

This leather badge was made around circa 1950, and was sewn on to the leather jacket worn by Ian Downing. The Braybrook Motorcycle Club was formed in 1947 and on the 10th July 1950 merged with the Sunshine Club to form the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club. In the mid 1960's the club disbanded and its activities were merged with the Newport Club. For a more detailed summary of the history of this motorcycle club, please refer to the information posted on this site for the item 'Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB'.

Significance

The Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right since the mid 1960's. This particular badge is over 60 years old and is likely to be a relatively rare item. The badge serves as a reminder that the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club was once part of the recreational scene in the Braybrook / Sunshine area.

Inscriptions & Markings

"BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT M.C.C."

Photograph (1926) - QUEEN CARNIVAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographic image held within a glass faced brown wooden frame.

Historical information

The Queen Carnival was conducted by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Council under the patronage of the Loyal Orange Institution. Minnie Pouliot became the Queen of Victory in Sunshine, and later (2 October 1926) she was crowned Queen of Queens in the district coronation ceremony at Footscray, competing with Footscray, Yarraville, and Williamstown districts. Miss Pouliot was again crowned Queen of Queens at the final coronation (6 October 1926) which was held at the Temperance Hall in Melbourne. The other women in the photograph are: Misses E. Thompson and J. Milne (Maids of Honour), Misses Marie Pritchard and Joyce Dedrick (train-bearers), and the flower girl is Jean Percy. Minnie Pouliot was born in 1900 and lived at 169 Morris St, Sunshine from 1910 until her passing in 1983. She married John Caithness on 16 April 1939, and had one son Max Caithness. Minnie Pouliot was an active member of the Sunshine Choral Society, and she also served on the Sunshine Hospital Auxiliary. Miss Pouliot was employed as Secretary at H. V. McKay until 1939, and she was also generally involved in community activities. Details sourced from the Trove web site indicate that she was involved in the Sunshine Tennis Club (1925), the Sunshine Flower Show (1925), as the Treasurer of the Playground Committee (1927), and as Secretary and exercise participant of the Sunshine Presbyterian Girls' Club (1937). Minnie Pouliot was the singer at a wedding (1938), and in 1925 Pouliot and Caithness are recorded as being members of the Loyal Sunshine Lodge. The above details have been compiled from information on the Trove web site including the Sunshine Advocate of 9 October 1926, and also from information supplied by Mr Max Caithness.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because it indicates that an event such as the Queen Carnival used to be held 90 years ago, and It also reminds us that in the past membership of a Lodge was a normal part of the life of many citizens.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 230 SUNSHINE LODGES No. 90 / PRESENTED TO SISTER M. POULIOT By the Sunshine Queen Carnival Committee 30-9-26 J. W. Symons Hopkins St Footscray

School Uniform - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

THREE ITEMS of girls uniform from the no longer existing SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL are individually displayed here. The items being: (1) Beige with maroon print cotton summer frock. (2) Maroon polyester/wool winter tunic. (3) Maroon V-necked wool/nylon jumper with light blue and gold coloured stripes around the cuffs and the neck.

Historical information

Sunshine High School existed in its own right from 1955 to 1991. During the early years the wearing of 'correct' uniforms was strictly enforced. Girls had to wear hats and boys had to wear caps as part of the uniform when outside the school grounds, or else they risked detention if caught without head wear by a Prefect. The boys therefore always had a rolled up cap in the back pocket to quickly slip on whenever there was danger of being nabbed by a Prefect. The girls had a winter uniform, which included thick beige stockings and a maroon blazer, and a summer frock in which they could be relatively cool during hot days. The boys had to wear their double breasted grey suits all year, with a jumper under the jacket in cold weather. The boys were supposedly being groomed as gentlemen, and so even during hot conditions were not allowed to remove their suit jackets in the class room. On about two very hot afternoons a year, the headmaster removed his jacket and so allowed the boys to do likewise. With single breasted suits becoming fashionable, it became difficult to find double breasted grey suits in the wide range of sizes required by students. In about late 1960 or early 1961 the uniform rules for boys were changed to enable them to wear single breasted grey suits. They still however were not allowed to remove their jackets in class on hot days. Over the years the rules for the wearing of uniforms were relaxed and in the late 1970's students were wearing either uniforms, or parts of uniforms, or their normal clothing. The wearing of uniforms at Sunshine High School eventually died out well before the School vacated the buildings on Ballarat Road, and amalgamated with other local secondary schools to form the Sunshine College.

Significance

The three items of clothing, although not a complete uniform set, serve as a reminder of the summer and winter uniforms, as well as the colours, that were worn by the girls at Sunshine High School during the early years. The jumper is identical in appearance to that worn by the boys and so it is not difficult to imagine how a male Sunshine High School student would look like with a grey suit and that type of jumper.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ecole brand winter tunic. Buxwear brand summer frock of Style S289. M.G.Magree brand jumper.

Achievement Award (1981)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Paper certificate in a plain wooden frame with image on the left of a waif holding a bowl. Presented to SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL by World Vision of Australia. Dated 30/9/81.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Outstanding Achievement Award / Presented to / Sunshine Technical School / by World Vision of Australia"

Factory Rules (1926) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, May 1926.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Light tan colored cardboard document folded into four sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - May 1926.

Photograph - SWIMMING BATH, State School, Sunshine Victoria

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The item is an enlarged photographic reproduction stuck to a 5 mm chipboard. The photograph is thought to be from circa 1910-1920. It shows a group of children, possibly all girls, in and around a small pool at the SUNSHINE STATE SCHOOL. The class appears to be under instruction.

Significance

Photograph demonstrates the swimming uniforms worn in the early 20th century, and indicates that swimming classes were taught at Sunshine State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

Swimming Bath, State School, Sunshine