Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria Malvern East, Victoria

The Archives has extensive material (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and Uniting Church) stored off site and a Reference Library which is on site. The Archives are financed by the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and staffed by an Archivist and volunteers. The Archives are part of the Uniting Church's national network of archives and linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays. Research is undertaken for a fee.

Contact Information

location
54 Serrell Street Malvern East VIC 3145 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9571 5476

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm. Fridays by appointment.

Location

54 Serrell Street Malvern East Victoria

View on Google Maps

We have a fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material. We also have a collection of Uniting Church Archives at State and local level.

Jean woods 17 September 2018 5:45 PM

Is it possible to see all things and photos of the Rev PUl Mallalieu? I have a large amount of things and photo of his.

Leave a comment

1396 items with images

1396 items with images

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sepia toned head and shoulders cabinet card portrait of Mr Peter McKenzie

Photograph - Phillip Allardyce: Presbytery Youth Ministry Officer

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Allardyce seated at desk in new office on opening day 12/4/1984.

Historical information

Phillip was presumably the son or grandson of the Rev. Ron Allardyce.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Phillip Allardyce - Presbytery Youth Officer in new office - opening day 12/4/1984".

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders photograph of the Rev. Andrew Melville McMaster dressed in an academic gown, mounted on cream card.

Historical information

Rev. Dr Andrew Melville McMaster, B.A., B.D., was born in 1922 at Mataura, New Zealand, where his father was the Presbyterian minister. The McMaster family came to Victoria in 1924. Rev A. M. McMaster entered the University of Melbourne in 1941, and after graduating Bachelor of Arts, studied at Ormond College, obtaining his Bachelor of Divinity in 1947. In 1947 he married Jean Langdon Buller, and in 1948 he was ordained and inducted into the Presbyterian Charge of Newtown, Tasmania. In 1951 he was called to Oatlands, Tasmania, where he served until 1956. From 1950 - 1952 he was Moderator of the Tasmanian Assembly. He was called to Swann Hill in 1956 and Croydon in 1962. From 1970 - 1972 he undertook post graduate studies at the McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. He was awarded a Doctorate of the Ministry in 1972. In December 1972 he was called to Kew Presbyterian Church. He was called to Noble Park in 1979 and to Wesley Church Shepparton in 1981. Hi retired in 1988 and died on 5th September 2009.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev Dr A. Melville McMaster B.A., B.D. 1972 -

Photograph - Barry Prior

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B&W head and shoulders.

Historical information

Photograph accompanies an article entitled 'Barry Prior', responding to the recent article on 'Sunrise or Sunset'. Barry Walford Prior (06/01/1938 - 22/06/2013) was born in Carlton and was ordained at Hartwell Presbyterian Church in 1971.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Barry Prior C&N 25/7/1984"

photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W waist length photograph of Mrs J S Baxon seated at a table, signing a book.

Historical information

Scrub Hill Presbyterian/Uniting Church was in existence from 1869 to 1994. This photograph was possibly taken at a centenary event. For further information see "Scrub Hill Church: a pastoral history 1869 - 1994" by Katrine Anderson Kelly, published Ballarat Victoria c.1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mrs J S Bacon invited to and photographed at Scrub Hill Presbyterian.

Cup, saucer and plates

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

White china crockery with gold rim and grey/black transfer print of headquarters. 4 plates, registration numbers 12.3, 12.4, 12.5 & 12.6; cup, registration number 12.1 and saucer, registration number 12.2.

Inscriptions & Markings

'The Carlton Methodist Mission Headquarters'

Photograph - Ron Croxford & Peter Mulheisen

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Ron Croxford is shown standing by a seated Peter Mulheisen.

Historical information

The photo was part of the September 24 1986 edition of C&N as the 'cover story', entitled "House of fallen angels", and the article was about Moreland Hall (in 2015 renamed as ReGen) and its work with alcohol and other drug addictions. Croxford was the executive director and Mulheisen the pharmacist at Moreland Hall. The Rev. Ron Croxford had been ordained in 1966, and parishes included Yirrakala (1961-64), Caulfield (1967-68), Mt Waverley (1969-74), Sth & Port Melbourne Mission (1975-77), South-Port-Parks 1977-?

Inscriptions & Markings

Their names.

Rosary

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Gavel and sound block

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

G01.1 Wooden gavel with engraved metal plaque. G01.2 Sound block.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Presbytery of Goulburn-Murray'.'UCA symbol'

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sepia, head and shoulders, studio portrait of Rev. James Bickford.

Historical information

Rev James Bickford (1816-1895) was President of the Australian Conference in 1868. He wrote a book entitled James Bickford: An Autobiography.

Badge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W waist length photograph of Elizabeth Buchanan

Historical information

Elizabeth Buchanan worked at an opportunity shop - possibly Kildonan Care.

Medallion

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Australian shaped necklace with a loop at the top. The is text on the front and on the back.

Inscriptions & Markings

"CE" "REV. G.F.DYSON A LOVE GIFT 1927 FROM G.I.NELSON"

Boomerang

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Saucer

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

White china saucer with blue rim and burning bush transfer print.

Historical information

Chalmers Free Church was in Harrington Street, Hobart and was demolished in 1955. The burning bush is the emblem of the Church of Scotland. Nec Tamen Consumebatur translates to 'it was not however consumed'.

Inscriptions & Markings

Chalmers Free Church. Nec Tamen Consumebatur

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders studio portrait of Mr R.R. Holden, Initial Gifts Chairman, St. John's Presbyterian Church Essendon.

Badge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

2 yellow shield shaped card badges with tan satin ribbon.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Methodist Babies' Home HELPER"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Deaconess Metherell seated with two children.

Sign

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Card sign.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Children under 12 years of age will be admitted to the wads during months from November to March only"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W seated studio portrait of the Very Rev. Dr Alan C. Watson dressed in the regalia of the Presbyterian Moderator.

Historical information

B 1900 Fielding NZ, Educated Otago University, Dunedin NZ. Ordained assist 1925. 1st Church Dunedin, 1927 East Taieri NZ, 1932 Christchurch St Pauls NZ; 1942-1967 Toorak; 1953 Moderator Victoria; 1959-1962 Moderator General Australia; 1967 emeritus, Presbytery of Flinders. Died 15 January 1976.

Badge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Three Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union oval blue and white enameled badges. The badge has a white St Andrew's cross on a blue background.

Historical information

The PMWU began in Victoria in 1890. It had 2 badges up until 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

"P.M.W.U."

Photograph - Rev. George Daniel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Portrait photo showing a middle-aged man with an Abraham Lincoln beard, dressed in a clerical collar and dark suit coat.

Historical information

B. 1823 England; d. ordained 1846; d. 1896 St Kilda Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Rev. Geo. Daniel"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W matte, head and shoulders photo of the Rev. Graham W. Clark wearing a black preaching gown and clerical collar.

Historical information

Rev. Graham Clark was ordained in 1963 and retired in 1981. He was stationed in: Alexandra 1960 - 1963 Mooroopna 1964 - 1967 Ballarat South (Skipton St.) 1968 - 1974 Warracknabeal 1975 - 1981

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev. G.W. Clark 1969 - 1974.

Medal

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Fourteen medals commemorating the jubilee of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Victoria. Each medal has a hole at its edge. The obverse depicts an image of John Wesley and the reverse text. One medal has a paper tag attached.

Inscriptions & Markings

"JUBILEE OF THE WESLEY METHODIST CHURCH IN VICTORIA 1886"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Matt, sepia, three quarter studio portrait of Rev. W. Morley on card.

Historical information

Rev. Dr. William Morley (1842-1926) was born in Notting-Hampshire, England where he received early ministerial training. He was twenty when he arrived in New Zealand, where he was twice President of the Methodist Conference and then President of the General Conference. In 1902 he was called to Australia to take up the position of managing treasurer of the Supernumerary Minister's Fund. In 1891, Morley was a member of the second Methodist Ecumenical Conference at Washington and President of Queen's College Council 1909 - 1925. He died in Kew, Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev. W. Morley D.D.

Photograph - Rev. James Stephen Hambrook Royce

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Oval inset, sepia toned head and shoulders studio portrait of the Rev. J.S.H. Royce. Carte de visite format.

Historical information

B: England 23/10/1829, trained at the Richmond Theological Institution, then spent 5 years as a missionary in Fiji. When his health broke down he became a circuit minister in Australia. He became a supernumerary in 1887 and died 29/09/1907 at Geelong. Married Elizabeth Jenkins Berry, father of Archibald John Royce and T.W. Royce (Principal of Geelong Ladies' College) who was tragically drowned in 1893. Children: Elizabeth Mary Jane (1856 - 1939), Frances Ellen Gough (1858 - 1937, James Hamilton (1860 - 1927), Thomas William Arthur (1862 - 1893), Charlotte Louisa (1865 - 1933), Archibald John (1868 - 1944), Florence Annie (1874 - 1957)

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev. J.S.H. Royce

Communion token

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Two rectangular communion tokens with text on both sides, one side also has a depiction of the Burning Bush.

Inscriptions & Markings

"JOHN KNOX FREE CHURCH MELBOURNE I.COR.XI.23" "NEC TAMEN CONSUMERATUS"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Rev. Ron Townsend, seated and wearing a Uniting Church sweatshirt.

Historical information

Ordained 1973, Presbyterian then Uniting Church minister. Colac-Cororooke until 1976, Gippsland Youth Leadership Training Officer 1976-1979, Mansfield 1980-1983, Division of Field Services 1984 to 1992, Malvern 09/92-12/95, AS 01.96 to 10/96, Chaplain Billanook College 11/96. Retired.

Regalia - Epaulets

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Royal blue stiffened fabric epaulets with metal Methodist Order of Knights Commander symbols

Historical information

The Commander symbol is crossed gavels above a crown. These are symbolic of authority.

Photograph - Parkville Presbyterian Church

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Portion of photocopy of the church and two of the portraits.

Historical information

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. A committee set out certain specifications (including the crown tower), and a competition for the best design was won by architect RA Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170 pounds, was opened in 1898. College Church remained the only parish church in Parkville until 1934. The outstanding element is the crown tower, a choice of the first minister, the Reverend Alexander Yule. It is a copy, albeit on a reduced scale, of King's College Chapel, Aberdeen University, of which Reverend Yule was a former student. This crown tower is the only example in Victoria and is possibly unique in Australia. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a steeply pitched slate roof and parapeted gables. Windows are in the Gothic pointed arch style. The interior of the Church has a fine timber ceiling with arch braces. There are a number of quality stained glass windows, the two largest being dedicated to Mungo Scott and his wife, Scott having been a benefactor of the Church. The late nineteenth century pipe organ was built by George Fincham and Son (Richmond), with Professor Franklin Peterson as consultant, and was completed in November 1903. In the 1940s College Church was internally re-ordered and this work was designed by prominent church architect, Louis Williams. The church became part of the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977, and ownership subsequently passed to Mar Thoma Syrian Church in 2008. From The Argus, Friday 19 April 1907: Rev. Alexander Yule washeld in highest esteem in his ministerialbrethren and a large circle of friends was abundanrly evident by the expressions ofsorrowful regret at his death and of sympathy with his widow and her three sonsby those who attended the funeral servicesyesterday morning. To most of those present the announcement of Mr. Yule's death, made in "The Argus" on Wednesday, came as a painful surprise. It was known that at the time of his ministerial jubilee last January he shown symptoms of failing health, and that his illness had gradually become more serious, but few among the intimate friends of the family thought the end was so near. Although Mr. Yule suffered much physical weakness, his mental faculties were unimpaired, and he was able to carry on his ministerial work almost to the last. He even conducted the services at the College Church, Parkville, on Sunday, March 31. Testimony is borne that his ministry was appreciated most highly by the important congregations, both in Scotland and Victoria, under his charge; that in the church courts he was a safe and wise counsellor; and that he did excellent service on various committees, and as the convenor of the Theological-hall committee, on which he was appointed by the General Assembly. The esteem in which he was regarded by the Presbyterian Church as a whole was expressed in his election in 1891 to the Moderator's chair of the Victorian Church, and to that of the Federal Assembly in 1901. The funeral service was held at College Church, the scene of Mr. Yule's ministry since 1891. The building was filled to overflowing by a congregation that included most of the members of the metropolitan presbyteries, representatives from several of the provincial presbyterues, the students of the Theological-hall, members of the Parkville congregation, and the children of Miss Sutherland's Home. The pulpit and furniture were draped in black, and the plain oak coffin rested on the communion-table. The simple yet impressive service usual with the Presbyterian Church was conducted by Professor Rentoul, president of the Theological-hall Senatus, who was assisted by Professor Skene, Rev. W. Fraser (moderator of the Melbourne North Presbytery), Rev. D. S. McEacharn, and the Rev. John Thomson, a life-long friend of the departed minister. The Dead March in "Saul" was played on the organ as the coffin was borne to the hearse. The procession along Parkville-crescent to the cemetery gates was a notable one, and in the following order:—Theological-hall students; the hearse; the chief mourners—Dr. Yule, Rev. A. Yule, Mr. James Yule, and Mr. Groom, M.H.R., a relative of the family; the Theological-hall professors and committee; members of the presbyteries; and other friends, making a large and repre-sentative gathering. At the grave Professor Rentoul, Rev. Dr. Meiklejohn, Rev. D. Ross, and the Rev. Dr. Marshall officiated. The pall-bearers were Revs. D. S. McEachran, J. Thomson, A. McDonald, R. J. Smith,Mr. P. McLennan and Mr. L. E. Groom, M.H.R. The funeral arrangement were in the hands of Mr. Josiah Holdsworth.