Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria Malvern East, Victoria

The Archives has extensive material (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and Uniting Church) stored off site and a Reference Library which is on site. The Archives are financed by the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and staffed by an Archivist and volunteers. The Archives are part of the Uniting Church's national network of archives and linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays. Research is undertaken for a fee.

Contact Information

location
54 Serrell Street Malvern East VIC 3145 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9571 5476

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm. Fridays by appointment.

Location

54 Serrell Street Malvern East Victoria

View on Google Maps

We have a fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material. We also have a collection of Uniting Church Archives at State and local level.

Jean woods 17 September 2018 5:45 PM

Is it possible to see all things and photos of the Rev PUl Mallalieu? I have a large amount of things and photo of his.

Leave a comment

1387 items

1387 items

Symbol

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

The Esquire's Mark symbol. Painted wooden triangle on stand

Inscriptions & Markings

"7"

Photograph - Rev. James Stephen Hambrook Royce

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Oval inset, sepia toned head and shoulders studio portrait of the Rev. J.S.H. Royce. Carte de visite format.

Historical information

B: England 23/10/1829, trained at the Richmond Theological Institution, then spent 5 years as a missionary in Fiji. When his health broke down he became a circuit minister in Australia. He became a supernumerary in 1887 and died 29/09/1907 at Geelong. Married Elizabeth Jenkins Berry, father of Archibald John Royce and T.W. Royce (Principal of Geelong Ladies' College) who was tragically drowned in 1893. Children: Elizabeth Mary Jane (1856 - 1939), Frances Ellen Gough (1858 - 1937, James Hamilton (1860 - 1927), Thomas William Arthur (1862 - 1893), Charlotte Louisa (1865 - 1933), Archibald John (1868 - 1944), Florence Annie (1874 - 1957)

Inscriptions & Markings

Rev. J.S.H. Royce

Photograph - En Route to Melbourne: Deaconess Trainees To Be

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Four women sitting on a stone fence.

Historical information

Mostly unknown, but Norah Norris went on to be come the Assembly Secretary of the S. A. Synod in 1973.

Inscriptions & Markings

Coby Pangemanan - met in Adelaide by M. Blowes, M. Follett, N. Norris - en route to Melbourne February 1954.

Photograph - Reverend Harry Daniel

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B&W photograph showing Reverend Harry Daniel being interviewed by TV News.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Special guest Rev Harry Daniel Christ Conference of Asia interviewed by TV News Photo credit R Rollason"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Gloss, black and white photograph of Rev. Henry Griffiths standing in the garden.

Historical information

See entry for F53-1

Communion token

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Polygon shaped communion token with letters and a year on the obverse, the reverse is blank.

Inscriptions & Markings

"MIH K KR 1741"

photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders portrait of Mrs Florence Anderson.

Historical information

Mrs Florence Anderson was President of Uniting Church Adult Fellowship in 1986, and again in 1989.

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Rev. Ron Townsend, seated and wearing a Uniting Church sweatshirt.

Historical information

Ordained 1973, Presbyterian then Uniting Church minister. Colac-Cororooke until 1976, Gippsland Youth Leadership Training Officer 1976-1979, Mansfield 1980-1983, Division of Field Services 1984 to 1992, Malvern 09/92-12/95, AS 01.96 to 10/96, Chaplain Billanook College 11/96. Retired.

Chalice

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Pewter chalice with accompanying letter.

Historical information

The chalice is one of a pair.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented to Rev. J.A.Finlay by the Oatlands Kirk Session 1937"

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W waist length photograph of Rev. Hamish Christie-Johnston seated at a desk, holding an open book.

Historical information

B 1936 Glasgow arr in Australia 1950 Ordained 1963 First appointment Corryong 1963-1967; then went to New Town Tas 1967-1970; East Kew 1970-1976; Stated Clerk Presbyterian Assembly Of Victoria 1976-1977;Assoc Sec Synod of Victoria 1977-1980; Evangelism Officer Div Field services Synod of Vic 1981-02/87; Interim Exec Sec Field services 03/87-01/89; Presbytery Officer Western Port Presbytery 02/89- 06/95, Executive Secretary VCC 07/95

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders studio portrait of Mr C. Mc A. Fraser, General Chairman of St. John's Presbyterian Church Essendon.

Regalia - Harmony Ray sash

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

2 Royal blue cotton sash, with white border, and one white bar worn in the centre, and a rosette in royal blue, white and gold. MGC 008.1 MGC 008.2

Historical information

Methodist Gris' Comradeship Rays' Section, Albert Street, Ballarat.

Communion plates

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Sepia toned waist length studio portrait of the Rev. Samuel J Hoban. Cabinet card format with deckled edge.

Historical information

Born Ballarat 1864. Appointed to Boort; Superintendent Lydiard St Circuit Ballarat; Minster of Ashby Methodist Church Geelong West 1897-1900; 1915 Superintendent of Sydney Central Mission; 1921 Superintendent of Melbourne Central Mission. Founded Fairfield home for unmarried Mothers

Bible

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Photograph - Reverend Professor Davis McCaughey

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of Davis McCaughey in conversation with Warren Clarnette in his study.

Historical information

Professor McCaughey was born on 12 July 1914 and died on 25 March 2005. He came to Melbourne in 1953 as Professor of New Testament Studies in the Theological Hall at Ormond College. He became Master of Ormond College in 1959 a post he held for 21 years. He was Governor of Victoria for six years from 1986.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Davis McCaughey and Warren Clarnette c. 1986"

Writing case

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Collection Box

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Wooden box with opening lid and gold lettering on the front.

Historical information

Ellerslie Church

Inscriptions & Markings

"New Hebrides. Day Spring and Heathen Mission"

Photograph - Parkville Presbyterian Church

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

G. H. Scott - Treasurer.

Historical information

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. A committee set out certain specifications (including the crown tower), and a competition for the best design was won by architect RA Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170 pounds, was opened in 1898. College Church remained the only parish church in Parkville until 1934. The outstanding element is the crown tower, a choice of the first minister, the Reverend Alexander Yule. It is a copy, albeit on a reduced scale, of King's College Chapel, Aberdeen University, of which Reverend Yule was a former student. This crown tower is the only example in Victoria and is possibly unique in Australia. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a steeply pitched slate roof and parapeted gables. Windows are in the Gothic pointed arch style. The interior of the Church has a fine timber ceiling with arch braces. There are a number of quality stained glass windows, the two largest being dedicated to Mungo Scott and his wife, Scott having been a benefactor of the Church. The late nineteenth century pipe organ was built by George Fincham and Son (Richmond), with Professor Franklin Peterson as consultant, and was completed in November 1903. In the 1940s College Church was internally re-ordered and this work was designed by prominent church architect, Louis Williams. The church became part of the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977, and ownership subsequently passed to Mar Thoma Syrian Church in 2008. From The Argus, Friday 19 April 1907: Rev. Alexander Yule washeld in highest esteem in his ministerialbrethren and a large circle of friends was abundanrly evident by the expressions ofsorrowful regret at his death and of sympathy with his widow and her three sonsby those who attended the funeral servicesyesterday morning. To most of those present the announcement of Mr. Yule's death, made in "The Argus" on Wednesday, came as a painful surprise. It was known that at the time of his ministerial jubilee last January he shown symptoms of failing health, and that his illness had gradually become more serious, but few among the intimate friends of the family thought the end was so near. Although Mr. Yule suffered much physical weakness, his mental faculties were unimpaired, and he was able to carry on his ministerial work almost to the last. He even conducted the services at the College Church, Parkville, on Sunday, March 31. Testimony is borne that his ministry was appreciated most highly by the important congregations, both in Scotland and Victoria, under his charge; that in the church courts he was a safe and wise counsellor; and that he did excellent service on various committees, and as the convenor of the Theological-hall committee, on which he was appointed by the General Assembly. The esteem in which he was regarded by the Presbyterian Church as a whole was expressed in his election in 1891 to the Moderator's chair of the Victorian Church, and to that of the Federal Assembly in 1901. The funeral service was held at College Church, the scene of Mr. Yule's ministry since 1891. The building was filled to overflowing by a congregation that included most of the members of the metropolitan presbyteries, representatives from several of the provincial presbyterues, the students of the Theological-hall, members of the Parkville congregation, and the children of Miss Sutherland's Home. The pulpit and furniture were draped in black, and the plain oak coffin rested on the communion-table. The simple yet impressive service usual with the Presbyterian Church was conducted by Professor Rentoul, president of the Theological-hall Senatus, who was assisted by Professor Skene, Rev. W. Fraser (moderator of the Melbourne North Presbytery), Rev. D. S. McEacharn, and the Rev. John Thomson, a life-long friend of the departed minister. The Dead March in "Saul" was played on the organ as the coffin was borne to the hearse. The procession along Parkville-crescent to the cemetery gates was a notable one, and in the following order:—Theological-hall students; the hearse; the chief mourners—Dr. Yule, Rev. A. Yule, Mr. James Yule, and Mr. Groom, M.H.R., a relative of the family; the Theological-hall professors and committee; members of the presbyteries; and other friends, making a large and repre-sentative gathering. At the grave Professor Rentoul, Rev. Dr. Meiklejohn, Rev. D. Ross, and the Rev. Dr. Marshall officiated. The pall-bearers were Revs. D. S. McEachran, J. Thomson, A. McDonald, R. J. Smith,Mr. P. McLennan and Mr. L. E. Groom, M.H.R. The funeral arrangement were in the hands of Mr. Josiah Holdsworth.

Photograph - Ellemor, Michael

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Both are head & shoulders photos.

Historical information

March 1988 was Michael Ellemor's first time as Editor of C&N. September 24 1986 Ellemor was the acting Editor while Warren Clarnette was on long service leave. In 1980 Ellemor was the first candidate from Theological Hall to take a 12 months field education placement with C&N. Ellemor is now permanently retired (2017).

Inscriptions & Markings

Name and C&N identification.

Photograph - Ray Comfort, Evangelist

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of evangelist Ray Comfort.

Historical information

Ray Comfort was part of a crusade run by the Melton Uniting Church

Inscriptions & Markings

Name and C&N details.

photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W photograph of the North Melbourne Methodist Football Team, with Mr Ray Smith.

photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

B & W head and shoulders studio portrait of the Rev. William John Ormandy.

Historical information

Ordained 1929. Appointed to Inland mission at Wyndham then Meekatharra in 1930, Cohuna in 1932, Lorquon in 1935. In 1937 went to Pascoe Vale & Merlynston, appointed to South Preston 1941. Chaplain in the AIF IN 1943. In 1946 appointed as Minister to Collingwood Mission, in 1949 appointed to Brunswick West. Resting in 1953, to Donald in 1954, Northcote (Prince of Wales Park) in 1958, Superintendent to Portarlington in 1962. Died 29 April 1983 aged 93.

Priingint block

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Wooden printing block with metal plate on one side and photographic image on the other. Image probably of Sunday School children.

Photograph - St Philip's College Alice Springs - Principal Chris Tudor & Deputy Principal Chris Eldridge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Tudor and Eldridge in conversation with the College in the background.

Historical information

In 1945 the Reverend Harry Griffiths, who worked for the Methodist Inland Mission in Alice Springs, saw the need for a boarding facility for children of families living in remote areas in Central Australia who needed access to schools. He and his wife established Griffiths House, on a site in the town centre, and for many years it became home for students from all over the Outback, including many young Aboriginal people. In the late 1950's the Rev Fred McKay, successor to the Rev John Flynn as Superintendent of the Australian Inland Mission, lobbied the United Church in the Northern Territory to build and expand on this important start. Together the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches embarked on a missionary venture to develop St Philip's College - a new, larger residential hostel which would one day become a full boarding school. An ideal site - 22 acres of bush at the junction of the Charles and Todd Rivers and backing on to the Telegraph Station National Park - was secured and after six years of planning, construction began in 1964. Fred McKay led the legendary work parties comprised of volunteers from all over Australia who travelled to Alice Springs, paying their own way and volunteering their expertise, time and labour, to turn a dream into a reality. This fantastic tradition continues today, with work parties arriving each mid-year holiday. On 13 February 1965 the first boarders moved in to St Philip's College. For the first 24 years, therefore, St Philip's College operated as a residential hostel only. The College’s ninth Headmaster, Mr Christopher Tudor, arrived in 1986. He and the Council Chairman, Mrs Jan Heaslip, judged that the time was right to complete the original plan to turn St Philip’s College into a fully fledged independent boarding/day school, serving not only “bush” families, but also the growing population of Alice Springs. The then College Council embraced the idea and three years of frantic, determined preparation and planning commenced, culminating in an extensive $2 million building program in 1988. To this day there continues to be further development with the new landscaping underway near The Minnamurra Hall, Reception and Rivergum Cafe, plus the recent completion of the Science & Food Technology building and the new Rivergum Cafe.

Newspaper cutting - Rev. Daniel Daley

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Aged newspaper clipping photo of the head and shoulders of a late middle-aged heavily bearded man wearing a double-breasted suit.

Historical information

Born 1863 Victoria, ordained 1884, died 1939 Brighton Victoria. Victorian President of the Conference, 1896–97.

Hymn book

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Badge - Presbyterian Girls' Association

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Shield shaped Presbyterian Girls' Association badge, blue, white and red enamel.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PGA"

Badge

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

Three Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union oval blue and white enameled badges. The badge has a white St Andrew's cross on a blue background.

Historical information

The PMWU began in Victoria in 1890. It had 2 badges up until 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

"P.M.W.U."

Hymn book

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East