Showing 11639 items
matching tools-and-equipment
-
National Wool Museum
Tool - Knitting Pins, 1960-69
The donor (Lynn Fitzpatrick) purchased these knitting needles 20 years ago from an opportunity shop. Aero Knitting Pins are a discontinued brand that were popular in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. They are made of smooth, aircraft-quality anodized aluminium. To this day, they are a popular and sort after knitting needle. Being a long-lasting product, they are often given as heirlooms. Abel Morrall was a major needle manufacturer from Studley, a town near Redditch. In 1785, Michael Morrall who was taught the art of needle making by a maternal uncle, moved to Studley. He founded the Abel Morrall company with his brother Abel, and another unnamed brother-in-law. Within five years the company was producing 40% of the 2.5 million needles that were made each week in the Redditch area. In 1811 the company introduced the concept of creating the eyes by using a stamping press. Additional machines were invented by them throughout the 19th century leading to major improvements in the way needles were produced. Abel Morrall demonstrated their needle making machinery at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and Queen Victoria personally inspected it. The company selected the demi-griffin for its trademark in 1861, which can be seen on older products produced by the company. Set of four knitting needles stored within paper packaging. Packaging features black, red, and white ink, detailing the selling points of the Aero Knitting Pins. The packaging folds with 3 main sections, each providing different insights into the knitting needles. Examples of this are " CANNOT SOIL LIGHT WOOL", "...SPECIALLY TAPERED POINTS WHICH WILL NOT INJURE THE FINGERS" and "RUSTLESS-NON-GLITTER FINISH". As the packaging unfolds, the grey knitting needles become visible. The needles can be removed from the packaging by sliding them through small bands of paper that hold the needles secure while in transportation. The four knitting needles are a “NEUTRAL” grey colour finished in a double point style.Printed. Orange, White and Black Ink Numerous, see multimediaabel morrall, knitting needles, knitting pins, 1960s home knitting -
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and Village
Instrument - Dental Instrument
This dental drill attachment for a mechanical dentist drill was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” that includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he would take time to further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . The organisation began in South Australia through the Presbyterian Church in that year, with its first station being in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill where he’d previously worked as Medical Assistant and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what was once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr L Middleton was House Surgeon to the Nhill Hospital 1926-1933, when he resigned. [Dr Tom Ryan’s practice had originally belonged to his older brother Dr Edward Ryan, who came to Nhill in 1885. Dr Edward saw patients at his rooms, firstly in Victoria Street and in 1886 in Nelson Street, until 1901. The Nelson Street practice also had a 2 bed ward, called Mira Private Hospital ). Dr Edward Ryan was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1884-1902 . He also had occasions where he successfully performed veterinary surgery for the local farmers too. Dr Tom Ryan then purchased the practice from his brother in 1901. Both Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan work as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He too was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. Dr Tom Ryan moved from Nhill in 1926. He became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1927, soon after its formation, a rare accolade for a doctor outside any of the major cities. He remained a bachelor and died suddenly on 7th Dec 1955, aged 91, at his home in Ararat. Scholarships and prizes are still awarded to medical students in the honour of Dr T.F. Ryan and his father, Dr Michael Ryan, and brother, John Patrick Ryan. ] When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery states “HOURS Daily, except Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday afternoons, 9-10am, 2-4pm, 7-8pm. Sundays by appointment”. This plate is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Tom Ryan had an extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926 and when Dr Angus took up practice in their old premises he obtained this collection, a large part of which is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. During his time in Nhill Dr Angus was involved in the merging of the Mira Hospital and Nhill Public Hospital into one public hospital and the property titles passed on to Nhill Hospital in 1939. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. ). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (The duties of a Port Medical Officer were outlined by the Colonial Secretary on 21st June, 1839 under the terms of the Quarantine Act. Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served as a Surgeon Captain during WWII1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. Their interests included organisations such as Red Cross, Rostrum, Warrnambool and District Historical Society (founding members), Wine and Food Society, Steering Committee for Tertiary Education in Warrnambool, Local National Trust, Good Neighbour Council, Housing Commission Advisory Board, United Services Institute, Legion of Ex-Servicemen, Olympic Pool Committee, Food for Britain Organisation, Warrnambool Hospital, Anti-Cancer Council, Boys’ Club, Charitable Council, National Fitness Council and Air Raid Precautions Group. He was also a member of the Steam Preservation Society and derived much pleasure from a steam traction engine on his farm. He had an interest in people and the community He and his wife Gladys were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”. The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery. Dental instrument, attachment for a dentist drill. W.R. Angus Collection. Metal tip is probe shaped, handle is bakelite, hose is covered in deteriorating green and red patterned cord, other end has metal attachment.flagstaff hill, warrnambool, shipwrecked coast, flagstaff hill maritime museum, maritime museum, shipwreck coast, flagstaff hill maritime village, great ocean road, dr w r angus, dr ryan, surgical instrument, t.s.s. largs bay, warrnambool base hospital, nhill base hospital, mira hospital, flying doctor, dental instrument, attachment for dental drill -
Whitehorse Historical Society Inc.
Container - Embossed Metal box
Mary Russell, relative of Mary McGowan (mother or aunt?) brought the box among other items to Australia from England in 1934Small, metal oblong box with embossed pattern of tree, branch, flowers and birds in relief on lid. Around side, branch of flowers and leaves in relief. Red satin lining at bottom inside of box.personal effects, containers -
Port Melbourne Historical & Preservation Society
Container - Bottle, Cognac, excavated from cesspit behind All England Eleven Hotel, Port Melbourne, 1850s
When house at 282 Rouse Street was demolished in November 1997, Peter LIBBIS obtained this from the bottle diggers who emptied the former cesspit behind All England Eleven Hotel.Cognac bottle c1850-60s, English? Dug from cesspit behind All England Eleven Hotel, in Little Princes lane (ref photos of cesspit excavation 895). Dark green, punted.business and traders - hotels, all england eleven hotel -
Rutherglen Historical Society
Functional object - Insulator, Before 1985
Insulators used throughout state. These probably used in Rutherglen. Now (1985) phone lines being put undergroundTelephone cross pole insulators made of beige porcelain, bell shaped with flat top.telephone, communication, electricity -
Arapiles Historical Society
Functional object - Barbed Wire
Barbed wire was widely used for fencing in agriculture, livestock control, and military fortifications since the late 19th century. Razor wire is a more modern development, primarily used in security applications, such as prisons, military sites, and restricted areas. The rusted condition suggests long-term outdoor exposure, possibly recovered from an old fence or security barrier.The image shows two different types of barbed wire. One piece is coiled and features razor wire, which has sharp-edged metal strips evenly spaced along its length. The other pieces appear to be traditional barbed wire, with twisted metal strands and sharp protruding barbs at regular intervals. The wires are aged, showing signs of rust and weathering.wire, fencing, gates, farm equipment, livestock -
Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History
Equipment - Syringe
Pale blue cardboard box with white (discoloured) and blue manufacturer's label adhered to front. Inside the box is a cardboard rest holding a glass syringe with metal point and hand grip. The plunger has a metal end, with a rubber or plastic plunge. The manufacturer's label records it as a Record type hypodermic syringe, an Everett Product, and distributed by the Amalgamated Dental Co Ltd of Melbourne and Sydney. Additional information on the label suggests it have been marketed as The Laminex. -
Bendigo Military Museum
Equipment - BLANKET, C.WW2
Blanket used by 'Tiny' Carroll 2/14 Battalion. Khaki army issue woolen blanket, very well worn with multiple large holes. darker strips down centre. Blank label in one corner.military-equipment, manchester-bedding, blankets -
Whitehorse Historical Society Inc.
Tool - Carpenter's Marking Gauge
Wooden carpenter's marking gauge - wooden shaft with square wooden block three quarters down shaft which is movable.trades, carpentry -
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and Village
Equipment - Rudder Pintles and Gudgeons, Alexander Hall and Son, ca. 1855
This set of pairs of pintles and gudgeons was recovered from the wreck of the sailing ship Schomberg and was part of its rudder steering system. A reconstruction that includes four pairs is currently on display at Flagstaff Hill. The rudder installation of the Schomberg was almost seven metres tall. A pintle and gudgeon pair is a mechanical fitting that works like a pair of door hinges. One of the uses for this type of fitting is for ships’ rudders. On a ship, one or several gudgeons would be attached to the vertical rudder stempost on the rear of the ship’s hull. On the ship's rudder, an equal number of pintles would be fitted onto it. The rudder assembly would then fit down into the gudgeons on the ship and would be connected to its steering mechanism, allowing it to be moved from side to side and steer the vessel. The SCHOMBERG- The three-masted clipper ship Schomberg was built in 1855 by Alexander Hall and Co in Aberdeen, Scotland, for James Baines' famous Black Ball line. It measured 288 feet (88 meters) in length, with a beam of 45 feet (14 meters), a depth of 29.5 feet (8.99 meters) and 2,284 tons. The mainmast was 210 feet (64 meters) high and the ship carried 3.3 acres of sail. The wooden vessel was constructed with three skins; one planked fore and aft, and two diagonally planked. All skins were fastened together with screw-threaded trunnels (wooden rails). The Schomberg was one of only three clippers wrecked in Victorian waters that operated the England-to-Australia run. It was built to outrun Donald MacKay’s two American-built ships, the Empress of the Sea and the Lightning. It was hoped that Schomberg would make Liverpool to Melbourne voyage in sixty days, setting a record for the voyage. The Schomberg sailed from Liverpool on 6 October 1855 on her maiden voyage, under the command of Captain James Forbes. Her general cargo for Australia included jewellery, spirits, machinery, and 2,000 tons of iron rails and equipment for building the Melbourne to Geelong Railway and a bridge over the Yarra from Melbourne to Hawthorn, and17,000 letters and 31,800 newspapers. She also carried a cow for fresh milk, pens for fowls and pigs, plus 90,000 gallons of water for washing and drinking on board. There were approximately 473 passengers, including migrants for Australia, and a crew of 105. Light winds encountered at the equator dashed the expectations of a record-breaking voyage. On Christmas day the ship sighted Moonlight Head in southwest Victoria and even though there was a deadly combination of wind, currents and unmarked sand spits, the vessel continued on. Then the next day, December 26th 1855, the huge ship gently ran aground on a spit that juts into Newfield Bay, east of Curdies Inlet and the present town of Peterborough. Fortunately, the coastal trader, SS Queen, was nearby and managed to save all passengers and crew. In 1975 Flagstaff Hill’s former Director Peter Ronald and the team of divers recovered many objects and artefacts from the wreck of the Schomberg such as the ship’s fittings, equipment and personal effects including a diamond hidden for years in a communion set. This set of pintles and gudgeons is an example of steering equipment used on ships over 150 years ago, equipment that is still in use in today's shipping industry as well as many other everyday hardware applications.. The equipment is significant for its association with the ill-fated vessel Schomberg, which was wrecked in the local water in 1855 on its maiden voyage. The ship was built for speed and luxury, to sail on journeys with passengers, including migrants, travelling from Liverpool to Melbourne.Pintles and gudgeons, six pairs, plus one single pintle, from the wreck of the SCHOMBERG. Cast iron horse-shoe-shaped fittings with tapered ends. each with metal bars between the long sides. One piece of each pair has a round hollow cylinder and the other has a round solid shank. The single pintle has a tall shank with a pintle hook through it. Some pieces have remnants of grey paint.flagstaff hill, warrnambool, maritime village, maritime museum, shipwreck coast, great ocean road, schomberg, shipwreck, pintles, gudgeons, ship's rudder, ship's steering, clipper ship, james bain, black ball line, alexander hall and co., capt. james bully forbes, rudder pintles and gudgeons, rudder steering, pintles and braces, immigrant ship, maiden voyage, peterborough, 1855, marine technology -
Clunes Museum
Functional object - POCKET WATCH
ROUND SILVER PLATED POCKET WATCH, BLACK ROMAN NUMERALS ON WHITE DIAL, SILVER HOUR AND MINUTE HANDS WATCH MAY BE REMOVED FROM SILVER CASE WOUND WITH KEY. [NO KEY]horology, mclennan, local history -
Whitehorse Historical Society Inc.
Functional object - Cotton Reel with pure silk thread
Item is part of a collection of sewing tools donated by Betty McPhee.Squat wooden reel of pure silk thread used for making buttonholes. 12 yards.BN H Ltd Dark Mauve N53|Made in Englanddomestic items, sewing, handcrafts, equipment -
Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives
Tool - Sailmakers Palm, Late 1800s early 1900s
used by fishermen and sailors to protect their hands as they made and repaired sails with large needlesThis object is not used so much today because of industrial machines taking over the job of making sailsLeather palm protector with metal inset fastened around hand with leather strap and buckle fastenerlocal history, maritime technology, sail making, fishermen, sailors -
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and Village
Vehicle - Furphy Water Cart, J. Furphy & Sons, c. 1942
This horse-drawn, two-wheeled cart with a tank, is known as a Furphy Farm Water Cart that was made in Shepparton, northern Victoria, c. 1942. John Furphy (1842-1920) was born in Moonee Ponds, in 1842 to Irish immigrant parents and subsequently raised in the Yarra Valley before the family moved to Kyneton in central Victoria, where he completed an apprenticeship with the firm Hutcheson and Walker. Murphy began operations of his own at a site on Piper Street in Kyneton in 1864. He relocated for a business opportunity and founded the first blacksmiths and wheelwrights shop in the newly surveyed town of Shepparton in 1873. Furphy invented many farming tools and machines including a patented grain-stripper, and won awards at the 1888-89 Melbourne International Exhibition. His most famous invention is the Furphy Farm Water Cart, designed in the 1880s, at a time when water for most households and farms was carted on wagons in wooden barrels. The Furphy’s water cart is a single item that combines a water metal tank and a cart. The design of the cart was simple yet effective, and became popular very quickly and established itself as a vital piece of farming equipment. The water cart has had a number of words cast into its ends over many years. References to the foundry’s location in Shepparton, as well as advertising of other products also manufactured by J. Furphy & Sons were present on the ends. However, the most significant set of words to feature on the tank, was a poem encouraging continual improvement: ‘Good Better Best, Never Let it Rest, Until your Good is Better, And your Better Best’. During The Great War (1914-1918), the water cart was used by the Australian militarily at a large AIF (Australian Imperial Force) camp in Broadmeadows (Melbourne) where thousands of men were camped for months, before being transported aboard. Furphy Water Carts provided water to the troops, and were usually placed near the camp latrines, which was one of the few places the troops could share gossip and tall tales away from the prying eyes and ears of their officers. The water cart drivers were also notorious sources of information, despite most of their news being hearsay, or totally unreliable. By the time the men of the AIF were in engaged in combat on the Gallipoli Peninsula and the Western Front, the carts used for water supply had no markings and became simply referred to as Furphys. This owed as much to the coining of the term ‘Furphy’, Australian slang for suspect information or rumour. After a number of decades as principally a soldier’s word, 'Furphy' entered the broader Australian vernacular and was used mainly by the political class until recently when the term was taken up by a Australian brewer as a beer brand. This Furphy Water Cart was purchased by Friends of Flagstaff Hill in 2014. The support of local individuals, organisations and businesses enabled its restoration and later its installation alongside the existing late-19th century water pipe stand and 1940s hand pump The Furphy Farm Water Cart is of historical significance as it represents a famous Australian time-saving and energy-saving invention of the 1880s, replacing the labour intensive activity of collecting and dispensing water from barrels and casks on the back of carts. The water cart’s connection with manufacturing companies J. Furphy & Sons and Furphy Foundry are significant for being early Australian businesses that are still in operation today. Furphy carts are of military significance for the role they played during The Great War (1914-1918) in Australian army camps, and theatres of war in Europe and the Middle East, to supply the AIF troops with fresh water. A wooden framed, two-wheeled, horse-drawn cart, fitted with a horizontally mounted, cylindrical metal tank. The tank is made of rolled, sheet steel with a riveted seam, and cast iron ends with cast iron ends. The spoked metal wheels have fitted flat iron tyres and metal hubs. A metal pipe is joined to the outlet. The tank is silver coloured, the ends, wheels and trims are crimson, and the script lettering on tank sides is black. There are inscriptions on the tank, ends, and hubs. The water tank was made in 1942 in Shepparton, Australia, by J. Furphy & Sons and has a capacity of 180 gallons (848 litres). Hub perimeter, embossed “J. FURPHY & SONS” “KEEP THE / BOLTS TIGHT” Hub centre embossed [indecipherable] Tank, each side, painted “J. FURPHY & SONS / Makers / SHEPPARTON” Tank ends, embossed – “FURPHY’S FARM WATER CART” “BORN ABOUT 1880 – STILL ‘GOING STRONG’ 1942” “j. FURPHY & SONS / MAKERS / SHEPPARTON - VIC “ “S - - - - - L MANUFACTURERS” [SPECIAL] “SPIKE ROLLERS” “SINGLE TREES” “PLOUGH WHEELS” “IRON CASTINGS” “LAND GRADERS” “STEEL DELVERS” “CAST IRON PIG” “CHAIN YOKES” “GOOD – BETTER – BEST / NEVER LET IT REST / TILL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER / AND YOUR BETTER – BEST” Image [Stork carrying a baby] above shorthand, transcribed "Produce and populate or perish" Image [Furphy Pig Feeder] beside ‘Cast Iron Pig’ Shorthand, transcribed “"Water is the gift of God but beer and whiskey are concoctions of the Devil, come and have a drink of water"warrnambool, flagstaff hill maritime museum, water cart, furphy cart, furphy tank, furphy farm water cart, furphy, john furphy, john furphy & sons, furphy foundry, kyneton, shepparton, mobile water tank, jinker, hutchinson & walker, blacksmith, farm equipment, implement maker, tool maker, horse drawn, stork and baby, good, better, best, barrel, tank, first world war, wwi, eastern front, gallipoli, j furphy & sons -
Federation University Historical Collection
Tool, Balance Scales (field set)
A self-contained demountable balance scale set mounted and housed in a timber box. Complete with balance weights - scales, balance, scientific instrument -
Moorabbin Air Museum
Equipment (Item) - Telephone Headset And Breastplate From RAAF Base Mallala SA
-
National Vietnam Veterans Museum (NVVM)
Equipment - Equipment, Army, Hexanine Stove
Metal Portable Stove : designed to be carried in backpack and collapsable. Green/ Black in colourstove -
Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RANZCOG)
Tool - Intravenous needle
Metal intravenous needle. Needle has a dial and fittings at one end, and a straight hollow shaft ending in a sharp point. The number '10' is engraved on the fitting of the needle.'10'surgery -
Greensborough Historical Society
Container - Bottle, Woods' Great Peppermint Cure, 1940's
Medicine-style bottle , square profile, "Woods' Great Peppermint Cure for coughs and colds" embossed on front of bottle. Clear glass bottle, pressed inscription, screw top closure.Pressed on front: "Woods' Great Peppermint Cure for coughs and colds"glass bottles, medicine bottles -
Ararat Gallery TAMA
Functional object, Hataori Musumo, c. 1900s
‘The Art of the Japanese Package’ was an exhibition that toured to 10 Australian and 11 New Zealand public galleries in 1979 and 1980. The touring exhibition comprised 221 objects of traditional Japanese packaging which extended from ceramics, wood and paper to woven fibre containers. At the conclusion of the tour, The Japan Foundation and the Crafts Board of the Australia Council donated the vast majority of the exhibition to the Ararat Gallery for its permanent collection. Combining the natural qualities of bamboo, paper and straw with delicate craftsmanship, these unique objects express Japanese aesthetics as applied through fibre crafts. In Japan, the qualities and traits of natural materials are exploited rather than hidden. The texture of straw, the septa of bamboo are not concealed but lovingly incorporated into the whole. In 1979 Hideyuki Oka, curator of ‘The Art of the Japanese Package’ wrote: “In no way self-conscious or assertive, these wrappings have an artless and obedient air that greatly moves the modern viewer. They are whispered evidence of the Japanese ability to create beauty from the simplest products of nature. They also teach us that wisdom and feeling are especially important in packaging because these qualities, or the lack of them, are almost immediately apparent. What is the use of a package if it shows no feeling?” The descriptions of the featured objects were written by Hideyuki Oka, curator of ‘The Art of the Japanese Package’, 1979.Gift of the Japan-Australia Foundation and the Crafts Board of the Australia Council, 1981japanese art, japanese packaging, tsutsumi, gift giving -
Bendigo Military Museum
Weapon - POCKET KNIFE & LANYARD, 1 pre 1914, .2 1915-18
Item belonged to Edwin James Jones No 3511 AIF. Refer 1367.5 for his service history..1) Pocket knife, fold out with 6 tools. Sides are wood or wood patterned. .2) Woven cloth lanyard attached to knife.pocket knife, personal, jones -
Creswick Campus Historical Collection - University of Melbourne
Equipment, Troughton and Simms of London, nd
The Theodolite is in its original case for field work.Equipment -
Clunes Museum
Functional object - CHART
This chart was a "trade loader" or advertising for the Louden Company who were manufacturers and retailers of agricultural equipment. The design of the chart was attributed to A.W. Shaw & Co. by the Louden Machinery Co.Buff cardboard chart with rotating disc of cardboard to enable calculation of gestation periods for common farm animals, pigs, sheep, horses, cows, dogs and rabbitsA. Pickford Clunes Anzac Oct 14thgestation chart, ready reckoner, louden -
Clunes Museum
Tool - BOTTLE CORKING MACHINE, R. MONTGOMERY & CO. MELBOURNE
CORKING MACHINE WAS USED AT THE EBERHARD & CO. CORDIAL FACTORY IN CLUNESCORKING MACHINE WITH PUMP ACTION HANDLE, ADJUSTABLE STAND TO FIT BOTTLE SIZE. MACHINE MOUNTED ON THREE-LEGGED WOODEN STANDR. MONTGOMERY & CO. AGENTS MELBOURNElocal history, food technology, bottling, eberhard & co. -
Ararat Gallery TAMA
Functional object, Gochika, c. 1900s
‘The Art of the Japanese Package’ was an exhibition that toured to 10 Australian and 11 New Zealand public galleries in 1979 and 1980. The touring exhibition comprised 221 objects of traditional Japanese packaging which extended from ceramics, wood and paper to woven fibre containers. At the conclusion of the tour, The Japan Foundation and the Crafts Board of the Australia Council donated the vast majority of the exhibition to the Ararat Gallery for its permanent collection. Combining the natural qualities of bamboo, paper and straw with delicate craftsmanship, these unique objects express Japanese aesthetics as applied through fibre crafts. In Japan, the qualities and traits of natural materials are exploited rather than hidden. The texture of straw, the septa of bamboo are not concealed but lovingly incorporated into the whole. In 1979 Hideyuki Oka, curator of ‘The Art of the Japanese Package’ wrote: “In no way self-conscious or assertive, these wrappings have an artless and obedient air that greatly moves the modern viewer. They are whispered evidence of the Japanese ability to create beauty from the simplest products of nature. They also teach us that wisdom and feeling are especially important in packaging because these qualities, or the lack of them, are almost immediately apparent. What is the use of a package if it shows no feeling?” The descriptions of the featured objects were written by Hideyuki Oka, curator of ‘The Art of the Japanese Package’, 1979.Gift of the Japan-Australia Foundation and the Crafts Board of the Australia Council, 1981japanese art, japanese packaging, tsutsumi, gift giving -
Glenelg Shire Council Cultural Collection
Functional object - Common Cattle Tag - Glenelg, n.d
Tag for use by cattle when grazing on Common. Brass, rounded top with hole in it. 'GLENELG' in raised letters around hole, A1120' in raised letters along base of tag. -
Bendigo Military Museum
Instrument - SLIDE RULE, 12inch, AW Faber Castell, Circa 1954
The slide rule was used for less accurate quick mathematical calculations. It was light weight and easy to use in the field. This slide rule was used by members of 4 Fd Svy Sqn circa 1960 for quick Survey calculations..1 12 Inch Slide Rule, multi-function Calculator .2 Protective box and carry case for Slide Rule. Green cardboard box.royal australian survey corps, rasvy, fortuna, army survey regiment, army svy regt, asr, 4 fd svy sqn -
Ballarat RSL Sub-Branch Inc.
Equipment - Radio Call Control
second world war (ww2), 1939 - 1945, eequipment/gear, ballarat rsl, ballarat -
Working Heritage Crown Land Collection
Container - Glass shard, Mint Glass shard
Non-translucent glass shard from a bottlepottery, ceramic, archaeology -
Glenelg Shire Council Cultural Collection
Tool - Coal Basket, n.d
Former Bower Bird Museum item, Vanda Savill's collection, Heywood. Museum closed 2006.Coal Basket