Stories Organisations Projects About Login
Catalogue. Share. Discover.
A free collections management system for Victoria’s cultural organisations and a tool for students, researchers and curious minds.

Victorian Collections -

Prisoner of War & Internment Camps: Tatura and Rushworth

1 Oct 2018

During the First World War, the theatres of Europe felt worlds away for Australians on the home front. The Second World War’s Pacific stage brought war closer to home. For some Victorian country towns, the repercussions of war arrived right on their doorstep.

Curated By

Alana Bennett Mazzilli, Work experience student, Academy of Mary Immaculate

128523 items

close

128523 items

Racquet

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

A Chemold Rod Laver Professional Model tennis racquet, with ribbon whipping around shoulders and shaft, and leather grip with lozenge perforations. Model name features across base of head and throat, accompanied by an 8-pointed star device. Chemold logo features along shaft. Chemold trademark with large 'C' features on lower shaft. Plain white plastic butt cap. Materials: Wood, Nylon, Ribbon, Paint, Ink, Plastic, Leather, Rubber, Glue, Lacquer, Metal, Adhesive tape

Image

Vision Australia,

1 x col. photograph

Historical information

Mrs Irene Flood, hairdresser, with Melbourne client (Mrs P O'Neil) taking advantage of Kelaston's flats for a holiday.

Inscriptions & Markings

1979

Newsclips

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Prison record (Ah Tune)

Victoria Police Museum, Docklands

Prison record for Ah Tune, prisoner registered number 33926, giving details of the prisoner, his crimes and the dates and places of his trials.

Historical information

Ah Tune, a Chinaman, kicked William Brasslin to death in a drunken brawl following an altercation, Beechworth, November 1914. Death sentence was commuted to 10 years imprisonment

Postcard

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

B/w card divided, back view of German Troops standing over womans body and inscribed Miss. Edith Cavell Murdered October 12th 1915 Remember! Card sent by Donor's Father, Roy Holloway from France

Army Teddy Bear

Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch, Wangaratta

WWI Lance Corporal brown teddy bear, wearing a khaki uniform with rising suns on both collars, slouch hat and 59th Battalion patch on right shoulder.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

BOOK /SERMON

Clunes Museum, Clunes

1,GREEN MATERIAL COVERED BOOK- SERMONS BY REV. T.D.E. WITT TALMAGE SECOND SERIES 2,RUST MATERIAL COVER BOOK. SERMONS SWIMMING FOR LIFE 3,DARK TAN MATERIAL COVERED BOOK-OLD WELLS DOG OUT

Inscriptions & Markings

2. BENJAMIN AUSWIN

Photograph - Phillip Island Bridge

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Concrete stanchions and scaffolding of new Bridge part built.(opened 1969). Taken from other half looking towards San Remo.

Historical information

1969 2nd Phillip Island Bridge under construction. Suspension Bridge demolished early 1970 From the Jack Jenner Collection

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; Back-track walk to Fitzsimons Lane, 2 July 2016

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Newsletter No., 228, June 2016 Heritage Excursion – Back-track walk to Fitzsimons Lane – Saturday 2nd July Our July heritage excursion will be a walk to Yarra Hill Close and Fitzsimons Lane Bridge, based on the story on pages 3 and 4. Although the route is close to Fitzsimons Lane it will follow streets and paths that may not be familiar to many local residents. It will include commentary on the history of this corner of the Town of Eltham. This walk on Saturday 2nd July will follow a “there and back” route, that is returning over much the same course. It is about 2.5 km in length and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It includes some hills. It will start at 2pm at the corner of Bolton Street and Old Eltham Road (Melway ref.21 F10).

Book - Aboriginal languages K-10 : syllabus

Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages, Fitzroy

Inscriptions & Markings

tables

Yacht

Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc, Caulfield

yacht, model of "roma"

Historical information

This item is part of the Thomas Caine Tool Collection, owned by The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and curated by the Hand Tools Preservation Association of Australia.

Photograph - Colour - St Paul's Ballarat, from the Coles Carpark, 2015

Victorian Interpretive Projects Inc., Redan, 3350

Colour photograph of Ballarat looking towards St Paul's church and spire. The horizon viewline allows a clear view of the St Paul's belltower.

Miner's Right

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Lieutenant Dress Uniform Dutch Army

Dutch Australian Heritage Centre Victoria, Carnegie

Part of Dutch army uniform: (1) dress jacket with (2) cotton dress belt, (3a) leather belt with (3b) cross belt, (4) khaki tie and (5) cap with names W. van Reed//Dorland on the inside. Jacket has brass buttons, NL lion embroidered on sleeve, "genie" emblem on shoulder strap and rank sign (one star - Lieutenant) on collar. Note: match box "Drogist Lucifers" left in pocket.

Historical information

Part of the small collection of uniforms in DAHC's possession. Like most of these uniform this one stems from the 1950's. The shoulder insignas indicate a "Genie" division (Engineering Corps).

Significance

Many of the 1950's period uniforms came from people that had been discharged after having served in the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia) during the Indonesian Indepence War.

Inscriptions & Markings

(1) Label jacket text "Maatkleding, Maison Jordi & Cie, tel 4608, Amersfoort" and rank indication (Lt). (5) Cap has names W van Reed & Dortland. "Drogist Lucifers" on matchbox in pocket.

PHOTOGRAPH

Clunes Museum, Clunes

HEALTH OFFICER, BOROUGH OF CLUNES COLQUHOUN, ROBERT. M.D. FROM COLLAGE REG 822

CATALOGUE

Clunes Museum, Clunes

CATALOGUE OF ART WORK ON DISPLAY IN AN EXHIBITION IN CLUNES 9TH NOVEMBER 1974 SPONSORED BY THE CLUNES TOIRIST AND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION.

Printmaking - Multi Plate Etching - 'Getting Away With Murder' by Andrew Gunnell

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

Historical information

This item is part of the Federation University Art Collection. The Art Collection features over 1000 works and was listed as a 'Ballarat Treasure' in 2007.

Map - Portland, 1941

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Printed colour map on paper

Slaters ripper

Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc, Caulfield

slaters ripper

Historical information

This item is part of the Thomas Caine Tool Collection, owned by The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and curated by the Hand Tools Preservation Association of Australia.

Chocolate Box: "Murrays" "Every Piece Different"

Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Ballarat

a square box with navy blue centre. outside colour white with green petaled flowers in four corners. also a red seal inscribed "murrays" centre piece is marked "every piece different." box contains wrappers papers and containers re: chocolates

Trinity Congregational Church, Glen Huntly.

Glen Eira Historical Society, Caulfield South

History of Trinity Congregational Church, Glen Huntly by J. O’ Donnell dated April 1973. Article tells where the church building came from, its features and how the land in Grange Road was obtained. How, after its removal from South Melbourne to Grange Road; it was re-erected a porch and timber cross were added. Source is Caulfield Historical Society Newsletter.

Photograph

Uniting Church Archives - Synod of Victoria, Malvern East

2 identical black and white photographs attached to a postcard, portraying Rev. Thomas Gillan Allan wearing clerical garb.

Historical information

DOB 07/06/1890. M. Mary Drysdale Hunter 1921. D. 10/03/1970. Ordained Wilston Qld. 1921. Served at Gympie 1921, Amidale NSW 1932, Eastwood NSW 1937, St. John's Essendon Vic 1943-1954, Mowbranton Qld. 1955.

Inscriptions & Markings

(1) Essendon December 1954 T. G. Allan (signed). (2) Centenary year 1952 T.G. Allan 1943-

Diary - The Flockowners' Friend

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Front cover of "The Flockowners' Friend", a diary from 1930 produced by J.H. Rudd and Co. Pty Ltd. Back cover of "The Flockowners' Friend", a diary from 1930 produced by J.H. Rudd and Co. Pty Ltd. DESCRIPTION record as listed on ebay 2001 Email from Kevin Tyerman to Kristen Thornton Monday 5 February 2001 Email from Kevin Tyerman to Kristen Thornton Monday 5 February 2001 page 2 Receipt from Kevin Tyerman to National Wool Museum 2 February 2001

Historical information

Diary for sheep farmers, produced by J.H. Rudd and Co. Pty Ltd (general merchants, importers/exporters) in 1930. It contains many ads for products that may be of interest to wool growers, as well as giving tables of railway transportation rates. Some of the central pages have been used as a scrapbook and contain clipping of general interest.

Inscriptions & Markings

DAILY / RECORD / JULY 1st, 1930 / JUNE 30, 1931 / THE Flockowners' / Friend / GIVING SIMPLIFIED / RAILWAY RATES / ON ALL STATION REQUISITES / J.H. RUDD & CO. PTY. LTD. / General Merchants, Importers & Exporters, / 115 WILLIAM STREET, MELBOURNE / SUCCESSORS TO THE / MERCHANDISE DEPARTMENT / OF / JOHN SANDERSON & CO. / 1930

Photograph - Digital image - RSL Honour Board

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 00627:01470 Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Photograph of the Greensborough RSL Honour Board, listing the names of local men who enlisted in World War I.

Binnacle and Magnetic Compass

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Binnacle and magnetic compass manufactured by Kelvin and Hughes with removable protective cover and lids of bronze and brass. Bulbous iron quadrantal correctors, one painted green, the other red, are set on either side of the binnacle; two lockers are set in the wooden stem for permanent magnets. Magnetic compass is gimble mounted.

Book - Elsies New Relations

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Elsies New Relations by Martha Finley Publisher George Routledge and Sons Date 1889

DIARY / LETTERS

Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum, Bendigo

.1) Diary in plastic sleeve cover with red binding, 75 typed pages from 2.1.1916 to 10.1.1919, also various documents & photo of W E PEACH. .2) Letters in plastic sleeve cover with red binding, 152 letters to his mother written from 14.7.1915 to 4.8.1916. Also other documents & photo of W E PEACH. All letters have been typed from original.

Historical information

WILLIAM EDWARD PEACH No 4272 enlisted in the AIF in 13th reinforcements 7th Batt on 19.7.1915 age 19 years. Embark for Eygpt 29.12.1915, embark for France 29.3.1916, hospital 25.9.1916 with Synovitis left knee, rejoin unit 16.2.1917, promoted Cpl 19.7.1917, awarded the Military Medal (MM) near Ypres 4/5.10.1917, promoted Sgt 5.10.1917, WIA 12.1.1918 Gassed, rejoin unit 13.5.1918, WIA 2nd occasion 15.5.1918 GSW hand, rejoin unit 1.8.1918, WIA 3rd occasion GSW right Knee and Back 25.8.1918, embark for Australia re his wounds 5.1.1919, discharged from the AIF 27.3.1921.

Framed Document - Japanese Surrender - Morotai 9 September 1945

Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch, Wangaratta

Black plastic frame containing 7 photographs on cream coloured paper document on black mount.

Historical information

Paper document of Formal Surrender of Second Japanese Army to General Sir Blamey Commander in Chief AMF Surrender of Japanese Forces Address Delivered by General Sir Thomas Blamey to Lt General Teshima Second Japanese Army - Morotai 9th September 1945

Significance

Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945

Inscriptions & Markings

Donated by Jean Hughes of Wangaratta on behalf of her husband ROWLAND J HUGHES VX 51510

Document, brochure - The Legacy Family - worthy of the father

Melbourne Legacy, Melbourne

One page white paper, printed, folded in half. Black and white photograph and printed text.

Historical information

A brochure explaining Legacy's work and providing information on how to donate. Whom does Legacy help? What kind of help does Legacy provide? What is the composition of a Legacy Club or Group? How many dependants is Legacy actively helping in Victoria? What does Legacy spend in this Sate in its work? Why it necessary to provide this degree of help, when there is a generous Repatriation Act? What is Legacy's aim? Donations. Address given for Junior Legacy is Legacy House, 293 Swanston St, Melbourne.

Significance

A record of how Legacy portrayed itself to the wider community.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mrs Masters 7330 in pencil on back page

Kitchen Equipment, Bread Knife 'Clauss'

City of Moorabbin Historical Society operating the Box Cottage Museum, Ormond

A large Bread Knife with scalloped / serrated edge and looped handle

Historical information

Clauss Cutlery’s long and vivid history started in early 1880’s when John Clauss and his younger brother Henrie established Elyria Shear Works in Elyria, Ohio. At one time the company was the largest manufacturer of scissors and shears in the world and was acquired by Acme United Corporation in 2004. John and Henrie Clauss, of German origin, started Elyria Shear Works from a one-room building in Elyria, Ohio Together with five employees, they began manufacturing scissors, shears, straight razors and serrated kitchen knives In August 1887, the Company moved to Fremont, Ohio to be near an accessible, abundant supply of natural gas which had recently been discovered. 1889, disaster struck as the plant was completely destroyed by fire, In 4 months Clauss built a new plant and was back in full operation and changed the company’s name to Clauss Shear Company. 1919 Clauss Shear merged with Henkel Company, to become Henkel-Clauss Company. Henkel Company was founded in 1906 to manufacture manicure and pedicure files, knives, shears and razors. After World War II, Clauss was unable to compete with European firms producing household scissors and shifted its focus to industrial scissors. In 1967 Clauss was taken over by Alco Standard Corporation who integrated Clauss into its existing structure to manufacture tools for industrial niche markets. Clauss made surgical scissors for eye operations, heavy duty metal cutting shears, poultry shears for gutting chickens and specialty items such as anti-acid, anti-magnetic tweezers for the electronics industry. Clauss had approximately 100 employees and produced about $18 million in annual revenues in the late 1980s, but profits continued to decline. In 2004, Acme United Corporation acquired the Clauss inventory, trademarks and brand names from Alco Industries for approximately $500,000

Inscriptions & Markings

Front : CLAUSS Back : FREEMONT / OHIO

lace collar

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Linen Honiton mimic (NGV) hand made individual bobbin lace motifs hand sewn together with bobbin made brides (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

bottle

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A small rectangular four-sided brown bottle. The neck has a screw thread.

Historical information

This bottle contained Condy's crystals. Condy's Crystals (potassium permanganate) was a popular domestic item for decades, its crystals usually being dissolved in water to make a purple solution for antiseptic and disinfectant purposes. It was also used for snake bite, with standard first aid texts advising that a snake bite should be cut with a knife or razor, the venom sucked out and Condy's Crystals applied to the site. (ref. Powerhouse Museum)

Inscriptions & Markings

On sides - POISON NOT TO BE TAKEN On bottom - F1090 M

Photograph - Post Card

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Group photograph - all males - football team?

Historical information

Unknown

Chimney

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Glass chimney for lantern. Base 3" Height 8�"

Coolgardie Safe

Anglesea and District Historical Society, Anglesea

Document - Correspondence re departure of Prime Minister Deakin to England for an Imperial Conference

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A typed page with a list of names of those who will meet to make arrangements. These include: J.J. Brokenshire (Mayor of Ballaarat) J.N. Dunn (Mayor of Ballarat East) Frederick Martell T.C. Miller F. Herman C. Hamilton A. David F. Bessemeres F. William Richard Pearse J.W. Whykes H.R. Murphy C.E. Grainger E. Morey R. Maddern W.K. Stokeld J. Remington W. Coulthard W.H. Middleton G. Bachelor J. Gazzard J. Stevens W.D. Hill B.H. Gummow

Photo

Running Rabbits Military Museum operated by the Upwey Belgrave RSL Sub Branch, Upwey

Photo of Claude Lancashire

Postcard - black and white - South Parade, Bath

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white postcard showing South Parade Bath lined with triple storey buildings and trees. A lady posts a letter in the foreground of the image.

Historical information

South Parade in Bath, Somerset, England is a historic terrace built around 1743 by John Wood, the Elder.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and White photograph of tented camp in bush setting at Puckapunyal

Historical information

Camp Run a Muck " was a Centurian tank camp conducted by 8/13 VMR - date???

Significance

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgt. Madjeric, Camp Run - a -muck, Puckapunyal "

Curio - 2001 Bag of Educationally Enriched Soil

Newcomb Secondary College Archives, Newcomb

Clear Ziploc bag containing soil, organic material (Leaf) and paper.

Historical information

Soil collected for the 2006 Staff reunion of Geelong East Technical School/James Harrison College. The College merged with Newcomb Secondary College in 2001. The old site became part of The Gordon TAFE. The Reunion Committee wanted a memento of the school to give to the staff who attended.

Inscriptions & Markings

Side A Titled "Educationally Enriched Soil". Side B "Certificate of Authenticity./School/No.1765/

Book, Knitting - Patons Knitting Book no. 550

National Wool Museum, Geelong

Historical information

This book was produced by Patons and Baldwins and contains knitting patterns for young childrens garments.

Inscriptions & Markings

PATONS / PATONYLE, 3 and 4 Ply . BEEHIVE Fg., 3 and 4 Ply . TOTEM . DOUBLE QUICK / BLUEBELL . SWIFTAKNIT . CAIRN . AZALEA . HIGHLAND . CONFETTI FLECKS / No. 550 / FROM 18 MONTHS TO 7 YEARS / SIZES 20 TO 27 / Patons / KNITTING BOOK / No. 550 / 2'-

Sling Hooks

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Sling Hooks, metal ring hooks with 3 separate lengths of rope. Used in ships rigging for cargo haulage.

Photograph

Nhill & District Historical Society Inc., Nhill

Hangar

Photograph

Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum, Tatura

Colour photograph of 5 people seated at a table, on the right hand side a royal blue cloth with a white line. Behind head of man on right with adjacent back drop grey with yellow stripe. Informal get together.

Historical information

1938'ers reunion 1988. Camp 3 class mates.

Bookplate - ‘Ex Libris Edwin Jewell’

Federation University Australia Art Collection ,

One nude woman and three women in low cut dresses are depicted with two bearded men wearing party hats.

Historical information

After a quiet period, interest in bookplates in Australia began to increase in the early 1970s, Entrepreneurial art and book collectors such as Edwin Jewell and others commissioned multiple Bookplate designs from a range of well known fine artists. At a 1997 meeting in Melbourne of the Ephemera Society of Australia Edwin Jewell and others announced the formation of the Australian Bookplate Society. The society was instrumental in promoting the art of the bookplate through establishment of the Australian Bookplate Design competition.

Inscriptions & Markings

Pencil signature 77/80

plastic bag

Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost

A clear plastic bag with green print. - Snowy River Dry Cleaners. attached is orange card - E. Scott 004408

Historical information

Snowy River Dry Cleaners was situated in Stanley Street, Orbost (previously a hat factory). There was also a shop in the CBD of Orbost. Basil Dowie moved his dry cleaning business from Nicholson Street to 31 Stanley Street where Stuart Hats had been. He had originally bought the business from Laurie Harrington in August 1950. (more information in Orbost & District Historical Society Newsletter No. 138 - John Phillips)

Significance

This item is from a business no longer existing.

Inscriptions & Markings

Your garment Flower Fresh from Snowy River Dry Cleaners Orbost

Pattern

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Round wood pattern dark brown with 3 protrusions. Is shaped like a hub. 165 diam

Image

Rutherglen Historical Society, Rutherglen

Black and white photograph of a man and a woman in a garden

Inscriptions & Markings

On back of photo: "Ada and Preston Jones (Ready)"

Photograph - Digital image - Barnett family at 122 Main Road Lower Plenty.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

The Barnett family at 122 Main Road Lower Plenty. (Left to right, standing: Mick, Bill, Elsie, Ivy, Amile,Les,(Kneeling) Marg Barnett, Margaret Blackbourn, Margaret Barnett, Photographs from the collection of Peter Blackbourn, a descendant of the Chapman Stock family. Annotations to photos by Peter Blackbourn.

Photographic print

Tennis Australia, Melbourne

Photo of Tim Mayotte Materials: Paper, Photographic emulsion