Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

1. KHS Office & Archive - 1 Civic Drive, Kew VIC 3101. Wednesdays 10.00am - 4.00pm / 2. Exhibitions & Public enquiries - 188 High Street, Kew VIC 3101. Fridays & Saturdays 11am - 1 pm.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958. Its extensive collection of audiovisual resources, costumes, textiles, books, documents, maps and artefacts have been donated by individuals, families, groups and institutions (including local government) over a sixty-year period. The Society was declared a Class-B Place of Deposit for Government Records in August 2019. The collection includes items of local, statewide and national significance (Russell E, Significance Assessment, 2018) and in 2019/20 received a further grant for a Preservation Needs Assessment from the National Library of Australia. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', [email protected], 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

3064 items with images

Book - Kew Bowling Club / One Hundred & Twelfth Annual Report and Balance Sheet, Season 1991-92

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Report of the Kew Bowling Club: One Hundred & Twelfth Annual Report and Balance Sheet, Season 1991-92. [The item is part of the large historic Kew Bowling Club collection (1880-1988) gifted to the Kew Historical Society in 2020].

Historical information

Sports Clubs in Kew in the final decades of the 19th century and in the early 20th century were often umbrella organisations with facilities for a number of sports. Typically in Kew, this included teams in lawn bowls, tennis and croquet. The Kew Bowling Club was formed in 1880 while the privately owned Auburn Heights Recreation Club was opened in 1904. By 1998, the two Clubs decided to amalgamate at the Auburn Heights site in Barkers Road, forming the Kew Heights Sports Club. The combined club was itself taken over by the Melbourne Cricket Club in 2012 becoming MCC Kew Sports Club. In 2017 MCC Kew closed and its landholding was subsequently sold to Carey Baptist Grammar School. Both the Kew and Auburn Heights Clubs assembled important collections. These historically significant and large collections were donated to the Society in 2020. The collections include manuscripts, pictures, trophies, plans, honour boards etc. References Barnard FGA 1910, 'Sports and Pastimes' in Jubilee History of Kew Victoria: Its origin & progress 1803-1910. Nixon NV 1980, The History of the Kew Bowling Club 1880-1980. Reeve S 2012, City of Boroondara: Thematic Environmental History, p.216.

Significance

The combined collections of the four sporting clubs making up the collection number hundreds of items that are historically significant locally. They are also significant to the sporting history of the greater Melbourne area and to the sports of lawn bowls and tennis in Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The collection illuminates two of the Victorian historic themes - 'Building community life' through forming community organisations and 'Shaping cultural and creative life' by participating in sport and recreation.

Headwear - Brown Straw Hat / a Calvert Model, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

High crowned brown straw hat with a downward sloping rim. The design includes brown ribbon at the base of the crown. A label on the inside back rim identifiies the hat as "a Calvert Model".

Historical information

"Calvert Model" hats were designed by Frank Tisdale. A Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales on Friday 7 September 1973 (No.117), page 3941, recorded that: "CALVERT MILLINERY PTY LIMITED (In Liquidation), formerly trading as Frank S. Tisdale.—A first and final dividend is intended to be declared in the above matter. If persons claiming to be creditors have not proved their debts or had their debts admitted by the liquidator by 24th September, 1973, they will be excluded from this dividend.—Dated this 3rd day of September, 1973. P. J. WOODWARD, Liquidator, 32 York Street, Sydney." Therefore the hat must predate 1973, and given that it is in the style favoured by the actress Audrey Hepburn (the style of the hat has been called an "Audrey") the hat probably dates to the 1960s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: "a Calvert Model"

Photograph - R. Gamble, Medical Superintendent, Kew Hospital for the Insane, 1910-1922

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Formal photograph used for exhibition purposes at the Willsmere Hospital of past medical superintendents. Each photograph is framed with a white mount on which the name of the superintendent and his term of office is recorded.

Historical information

The new Kew Lunatic Asylum was completed in 1871 and opened in 1872. The year 1972 marked it's centenary. Over the years, members of staff at the asylum collected records, photographs, publications and plans of the asylum, later hospital. The Society has a number of important collections relating to the asylum and the Children's Cottages. These include the Dr Cliff Judge, the Irena Higgins and the Dr Fred Stamp Collections. This portrait photograph is one of a number of items donated by the family of the late Dr. Fred Stamp who was the last medical superintendent of the Hospital. Dr Frederick Stamp graduated from Bristol Medical School (UK) in 1968. He and his family emigrated to Australia in 1977 to Goulburn (NSW), moving to Melbourne in 1980. He became Superintendent at Willsmere in 1981 until its closure in 1988.

Significance

Following their closure, the medical records of the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages Kew were relocated to the archives of Victorian Government departments and ultimately to the Public Records Office of Victoria. Other collections, such as the Fred Stamp Collection, were assembled by staff who worked at the hospital. The years leading up to the closure of Kew must have been fraught, and many of the items in the hospital were probably destined for hard waste disposal. Dr. Fred Stamp, the last medical superintendent, kept aside or rescued a number of these items, of which this is one. Following his death, his family donated these to the Kew Historical Society. The Society recognises these items to be of lasting historical significance, essentially due to their provenance and to their rarity. Together they (and the Judge and Higgins Collections) are an invaluable aid for researchers of the institutions' histories.

Photograph - Marion Tilley in 'The Cingalee'

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A black and white photo of Marion Tilley in The Cingalee in 1953. She is dressed as a tea picker. Marion Tilley was wardrobe mistress of the Kew Light Opera Company in many later productions, however in the Cingalee, the wardrobe mistress was Ada Colton.

Historical information

The Kew Light Opera Company was formed in 1952, and mounted a number of musical and variety productions each year until it was subsumed in the "Q" Theatre Guild in 1957. A partial record of performances by the company includes: 1952 Florodora, 1953 The Cingalee - San Toy or The Emperor's Own, 1954 While the Sun Shines - A Country Girl - Our Miss Gibbs, 1955 The Toreador - The Arcadians, 1956 The Maid of the Mountains - Whiteoaks - Goodnight Vienna!, 1957 A Country Girl. Most of the Company's performances took place in the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street, Kew.

Significance

The scrapbook of annotated photographs, programmes, and newspaper reviews of which this item is a part was assembled by Marion Tilley, wardrobe mistress for, and performer in, productions by the Kew Light Opera Company and the "Q" Theatre Guild. It is significant as a remarkably complete document of theatre performances in Kew, Victoria during the 1950s and 1960s. The scrapbook, and the items individually catalogued within it, have artistic and aesthetic significance within the history of performing arts in Victoria in the middle of the 20th Century. They have social significance in that they reveal socio-cultural values and preoccupations during the period. The records also act as a history of arts activities in the Kew Recreation Hall and later in the Kew City Hall as entertainment and community arts and music precincts.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Marion Tilley", written in red and black ink on the base of the photo. Her role as a 'tea picker' is written in the scrapbook under the photo.

Bookends - Pair of Bookends, Wood, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of matching wooden bookends featuring a yacht against clouds and an orange sky.

Documents - Commemorative Scroll and Letters, Pte Charles F. Richardson, 6 Bn, A.I.F., 1915

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The frame holds three documents, two of which, the signed letters from Buckingham palace are identical. The central scroll records Charles Field Richardson’s death and his contribution to King and Country.

Historical information

Private Charles Field Richardson, 6 Bn., AIF, was the brother of the historian Dorothy Richardson. He enrolled in the AIF on 17 August 1914. Before he enrolled he worked as a mechanic in Harry Cooper’s ‘Kew Flyer’ bicycle shop in Cotham Road. His address is recorded on the Embarkation Rolls as 80 Gladstone Street. He embarked for Europe on the HMAT Hororata on 17 August. The Hororata had been fitted out for 2,000 troops and 124 horses. Charles Richardson was to die of wounds in Egypt on 3 May 1915 at the age of 21 and is buried in Alexandria.

Significance

Formal and official documents such as these, recording sacrifice in the First World War were socially and spiritually significant to the deceased soldier's close relatives. The home made frame emphasises that the Rogers family valued these documents and wanted them presented visually as a group. The documents have added significance locally as Charles Field Richardson was the brother of the historian Dorothy Rogers. The Collection includes postcards that he sent from Alexandria to his sister and photographs of Pte Richardson in uniform and at the pyramids. He was wounded at Gallipoli and died in hospital in Alexandria.

Trophy - Kew Heights Sports Club / Ladies' Bowls President's Handicap 2008-2013

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wooden trophy shield affixed with brass plaques naming the five winners of the ladies' bowls president's handicap between 2008 and 2013

Historical information

Sports Clubs in Kew in the final decades of the 19th century and in the early 20th century were often umbrella organisations with facilities for a number of sports. Typically in Kew, this included teams in lawn bowls, tennis and croquet. The Kew Bowling Club was formed in 1880 while the privately owned Auburn Heights Recreation Club was opened in 1904. By 1998, the two Clubs decided to amalgamate at the Auburn Heights site in Barkers Road, forming the Kew Heights Sports Club. The combined club was itself taken over by the Melbourne Cricket Club in 2012 becoming MCC Kew Sports Club. In 2017 MCC Kew closed and its landholding was subsequently sold to Carey Baptist Grammar School. Both the Kew and Auburn Heights Clubs assembled important collections. These historically significant and large collections were donated to the Society in 2020. The collections include manuscripts, pictures, trophies, plans, honour boards etc.

Significance

The combined collections of the four sporting clubs making up the collection number hundreds of items that are historically significant locally. They are also significant to the sporting history of the greater Melbourne area and to the sports of lawn bowls and tennis in Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The collection illuminates two of the Victorian historic themes - 'Building community life' through forming community organisations and 'Shaping cultural and creative life' by participating in sport and recreation.

Photograph - Aerial Photograph of Kew, 1987

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Aerial photograph of a part of Kew, taken by photographers employed by the Victorian Department of Property and Services in December 1987.

Inscriptions & Markings

4132-106 Ringwood M'Sheet 7922-3 Run 4 5600'ASL Vic DPS © 12-12-87

Dress - Pink Raw Silk Skirt and Jacket / by L'Officiel

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hot pink coloured raw silk dress with matching jacket of the same colour and fabric. The skirt of the dress is constructed of broad pleats.

Historical information

The Fashion & Design collection of Kew Historical Society includes examples of women’s, men’s, children’s and infants' clothing from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. While the collection includes some examples of international fashion, most items were handmade or purchased in Melbourne. Significant and extensive donations to this collection were made by Mabel Isola Grattan (Coombs Collection), Netta Fuller, Jillian Rigby (Weir Collection) and Dione McIntyre (McIntyre Collection). This dress is one of a number of items donated to the Fashion collection by Dione McIntyre.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's Fashion & Design collection. Items include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families. Most were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. The collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum a number of outfits belonged to her daughter, Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers, including Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The collection includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: L'Officiel

Postcard - We Have Just Arrived Here : Isle of Wight

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Novelty View Card, part of a series, representing different locations in the United Kingdom. The front of the card opens to reveal ten postcards, joined concertina-like. The postcard was purchased by George and Edith Weir on a trip to England and Scotland, circa 1928.

Historical information

Collection of thirty-nine postcards donated by Jillian Rigby which had been owned by her grandparents, George and Edith Weir, who from c.1917 lived at 84 Princess Street, Kew. The mostly 'mint' postcards were purchased in Victoria and while travelling overseas. The sole dated postcard is dated from 1929. The postcards are numbered sequentially from 2017.0058.01-39. The remainder of the collection donated by Jill Rigby which was once owned by the Weirs of Broken Hill and Kew consist of costumes, costume accessories, photographs, and documents.

Significance

The postcards in the Weir collection, especially those purchased on a trip or trips to the mother country, i.e. United Kingdom, represent a representative sample of sites that were considered significant to those Australians undertaking a reverse grand tour by member of the erstwhile colonies. Those postcards which are early views of Melbourne must have been produced commercially for some decades from the early part of the 20th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

"22.5.1928"

Photograph - Public Works Street Maintenance, Gellibrand Street, Kew, 1970

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Public Works Street Maintenance, Gellibrand Street, Kew. Company supplied photograph of cable laying in Gellibrand Street.

Significance

The series from which the photograph is drawn provides a snapshot by a commercial photographic studio of specific street works in Kew as well as providing examples of public works infrastructure being commissioned by local government in the 1960s. The photos originally formed part of the Engineering Department's files in the City of Kew before being donated to the kew Historical Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed above photo: "Boring through obstacles to pass cable. Cable extends from winch to cutting tool in both directions to permit a to and fro cutting motion. Gellibrand St. Drain 23.4.70." Company information: "General Descaling / Company / 1st Floor 66-68 Albert Road/ South Melbourne 3205 Victoria / Telephone 699 1455 / 699 1635."

Costume - Apron

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Coffee-coloured decorative lace apron.

Handbag - Black Enamel & Brass, Oroton, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black Oroton handbag with brass and black enamel frame and handle.

Historical information

The handbag was owned by, used and donated by Dione McIntyre.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Inscriptions & Markings

The inside label includes the company name - “OROTON” - and maker details - “Made in West Germany”.

Book - Melbourne's Churches 1836-1851: an architectural record / [by] JM Freeland

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

170 p. : ill. 25 cm

Historical information

Limited edition architectural history of Melbourne's churches

Significance

Limited edition

Inscriptions & Markings

Published in 1963 in an edition limited to 950 copies which this is no. 248

Costume Accessory - Pair of Lace and Net Sleeve Cuffs (Engageantes)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two white engageantes with laace duffs. The stitching suggests that they were hand made

Postcard - The Wertheim Piano Factory, Bendigo Street, Richmond, Melbourne, circa 1906

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Polychrome postcard of the Wertheim Piano factory in Richmond.

Inscriptions & Markings

KH-152. H.V. Barlow, Head Office, 173 William St., Melbourne

Nails - Wrought iron nails, from 'Reno', St John's Parade, circa 1864

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

7 square headed iron nails collected from Reno before its demolition.

Historical information

Comparatively few weatherboard houses in Kew survived from the early years of settlement into the second half of the 20th century. One such property was ‘Reno’, which once stood on the east side of St John’s Parade. Its earliest recorded owner was the architect Samuel Cocking who lived there from c.1865 until his death in 1888. The original landholding was bordered by Cotham Road, Glenferrie Road, Wellington Street, and Charles Street. The southern portion of this land included a fine orchard, with many imported trees. The old summer house, at first in the orchard, was later removed to the house garden. The MMBW Detail Plan No.1576 (1904) shows the remaining portion of the original land holding, including a semi-circular pathway at the front, and garden features such as an aviary, a fountain and grotto, and a fernery. None of these are apparent in photographs dating from the 1960s, where the garden, which once included rare plants provided by Baron Von Mueller, surrounds the cottage in a tangled frenzy. Despite a ‘local significance’ classification by the National Trust, the house was demolished in 1971.

Inscriptions & Markings

In envelope marked with the name Joy Stewart

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by *****

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by *****, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by ******, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by ***** as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Puzzle - V.2149 The New Mount (Beauvoir Ward), circa 1935

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A Victory Jig-Saw puzzle in its original Box. Victory Jig-Saw puzzles were a popular series.

Historical information

The Victory Jig-Saw Puzzles were made by Gerald Hayler in England between the late 1920s through to the 1980s. They had wooden pieces and were very popular in the 1940s and 1950s. The puzzle was owned by the donor's mother, Iduna Miles (nee Sutton)

Book - Narrative of a Survey of the Coasts of the Intertropical and Western Coasts of Australia performed between the Years 1818 and 1822 in two volumes (Vol.2) / by Captain Philip P. King (1791-1856)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Australian Facsimile Editions No.30. 2 v. : illus., fold. charts, tables.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, founded in 1958, has an extensive reference library, of which this book is a part. Volumes in the library are used by members for research into aspects of local history and/or to support the Society's collections of pictures, maps, fashion and artefacts. Reference books have entered the collection through donation, presentation, collection and purchase.

Significance

This volume was presented to the historian Dorothy Rogers and consequently formed part of her library. Dorothy Rogers was interested in the history of the King family who settled in Kew. She was to write the entries for Arthur Septimus King (and William Essington King & John King), published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 5, (MUP), 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed: 24 June 1971. Happy birthday from Ethel McLeod

Photograph - Public Works, Road Construction

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Public works. A photograph of a suburban street under construction using a steamroller. Neither the street nor the location has been identified. It is believed that the photograph can be dated to the 1920s.

Historical information

An original photograph donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City's Engineering Department following the amalgamation of Kew into the City of Boroondara. While not all of the photographs are of Studley Park, Kew or East Kew, each photo provides a fine snapshot of the work of local government engineering departments of the period. They reveal they types of labour conducted, the techniques used and the equipment and machinery in the possession of the local government authority.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription on reverse: "Road making. (?1920s cars)".

Board Game

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Multicoloured two-dimensional geometric jigsaw puzzle in its original box. The exterior of the box shows the complete puzzle with a range of optional alternative puzzles.

Photograph - Blossom Time / by A.M. Wilner & Heinze Reichert

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Faded photograph of Jeanette Rayment in full costume in the Royal Botanical Gardens to promote The "Q" Theatre Guild's performances of Blossom Time during the Moomba Festival of 1959. The performances took place in the Alexandra Gardens. Rayment played the role of Therese in the production.

Historical information

The "Q" Theatre Guild was formed out of the Kew Light Opera Company in 1957. It marked the transition of the company that had initially been directed by Lance Nicholls to one directed by Beatrice Oakley. It continued to perform in the Kew Recreation Hall, but, with its demolition in 1960, and the opening of the new Kew City Hall in Cotham Road, moved its productions to that venue. Productions of the "Q" Theatre Guild included The Geisha (1957), Maritana (1958), They All Do It (1959), Blossom Time (1959), Love's A Luxury (1959), There And Back & The Bohemian Girl (1960), Die Fledermaus (1960), Gay Rosalinda (1961), The Land Of Smiles (1961), Kisses For A Kid & Hansel And Gretel (1961), Die Fledermaus (1962), Monsieur Beaucaire (1964), Macbeath or The Beggar's Opera, and So To Bed.

Significance

The scrapbook of annotated photographs, programmes, and newspaper reviews of which this item is a part was assembled by Marion Tilley, wardrobe mistress for, and performer in, productions by the Kew Light Opera Company and the "Q" Theatre Guild. It is significant as a remarkably complete document of theatre performances in Kew, Victoria during the 1950s and 1960s. The scrapbook, and the items individually catalogued within it, have artistic and aesthetic significance within the history of performing arts in Victoria in the middle of the 20th Century. They have social significance in that they reveal socio-cultural values and preoccupations during the period. The records also act as a history of arts activities in the Kew Recreation Hall and later in the Kew City Hall as entertainment and community arts and music precincts.

Inscriptions & Markings

Marion Tilley, the creator of the scrapbook, wrote the following underneath the photograph: "Jeanette Rayment, Botanical Gardens, promoting Blossom Time."

Newspaper - The Argus, Monday May 9, 1910

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original newspaper section from the Argus of 1910 dedicated to King Edward VII following his death. The paper includes old damage.

Historical information

King Edward VII died on 6 May 1910. This detailed eulogy was published in the Melbourne Argus four days later.

Plan - Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works : Borough of Kew : Detail Plan No.1574

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey). This plan shows several very large houses, particularly along Glenferrie Road, and the area now occupied by Ruyton Girls’ School. ‘Tarring’ (incorrectly spelled here as ‘Karring’) was built for Henry Henty in 1872, on part of his original allotment of 20 acres, and ‘Mount View’, which retains its original building and the fountain in the front garden, is part of Ruyton’s Junior School. The most significant change to Tarring and its grounds since 1903, involve the removal of a number of the outbuildings, including a Burmese temple, bought by Henty from the Burmese Exhibit at the Great Exhibition of 1880. It is shown on the plan as a summerhouse. The two-storey mansion, on the corner of Glenferrie Road and Wellington Street, was built in 1891 by leading architect Alfred White as his own home. Having an initial N.A.V. of £160, the house was purchased by a warehouseman Henry Lister, by 1900, when the N.A.V. was recorded at £111. By the turn of the century the house was known as ‘Comaques’. By contrast, much smaller houses are shown in Scott and Byron Streets, including a tiny Mission Hall in Byron Street, which belonged to the Anglican Church from at least 1903 to 1917.

Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria)

Significance

This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Photograph - The Maid of the Mountains / by Harold Fraser-Simson

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of a performance or a rehearsal of The Maid of the Moutains, performed by the Kew Light Opera Company in the Kew Recreation Hall in 1957.

Historical information

Arthur Henry Dear was an employee of the City of Kew, acting as Hall Keeper of the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street, and later the new Kew City Hall in Cotham Road. The Arthur Dear Collection contains memorabilia - tickets, programmes, invitations - as well as his identification badge. Items in the collection dates from the 1940s to the 1960s.

Significance

The Kew Recreation Hall (Wellington Street) and later the Kew City Hall (Cotham Road) were major locations in suburban Melbourne in the postwar period for civic and private events including theatre productions and exhibitions. The Arthur Dear Collection (in conjunction with the scrapbooks compiled by Marion Tilley) provide a comprehensive snapshot of performing arts in Kew during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. The collection includes valuable data about performances, performers, directors etc., during this period.

Subdivision Plan - Old Kew Golf Links Estate - Third Section

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

When the old Kew Golf Links was subdivided in the mid 1920s, the developers were able to break the sale into sections. The third section included eighty lots. The lots faced Kilby Road, Kodak Avenue, Belford Road, Baker Avenue, Mathers Avenue, and White Avenue. [Kodak Avenue was renamed Page Avenue at a later date].The ‘Kew Conservation Study (1988) notes that ‘On the subdivision plan, Kodak’s involvement is commemorated by the naming of the streets after Company directors, and their decision to not proceed with the construction of the factory is explained as a response to the increase in the value of the land. This explanation may have been Estate Agent’s hyperbole, as the Kodak Company records suggest that the land, with its wide creek gully, was unsuitable and too small for its purposes.

Historical information

Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew. The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these. The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.

Photograph - Victorian Villa, High Street, Kew, circa 1922

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

An old inscription on this photograph identifies it as ‘an elegant timber villa in High Street. It occupied part of Lot 91, bought by Edward Glyn in the land sale of 16th October 1851, and run as a flower farm’. The subdivision called the ‘Flower Farm Estate’ in East Kew occurred in 1922. [The subdivision plan is on the reverse of this photo.] The Estate included 61 lots on either side of Boorool Road between High Street and Harp Road. In the MMBW Detail Plan 2017 of 1926, a number of these new villas had already been built. Matching houses with MMBW maps can always be a challenge, however if this house was near the corner of Boorool Road and High Street, it seems to fit the profile of a house called ‘Maxton’ (demolished).

Significance

Subdivision plans are historically important documents used as evidence of the growth of suburbs in Australia. They frequently provide information about when the land was sold on which a built structure was subsequently constructed as well as evidence relating to surveyors and real estate and financial agents. The numerous subdivision plans in the Kew Historical Society's collection represent working documents, ranging from the initial sketches made in planning a subdivision to printed plans on which auctioneers or agents listed the prices for which individual lots were sold. In a number of cases, the reverse of a subdivision plan in the collection includes a photograph of a house that was also for sale by the agent. These photographs provide significant heritage information relating house design and decoration, fencing and household gardens.

Inscriptions & Markings

Photographer's name on photograph, lower right, and stamp on mount lower right: "A. Aberline, Glenferrie".

Plan - Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works : Borough of Kew : Detail Plan No.1591

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey). That area of Kew bordered by Cotham Road, Park Hill Road, Ermington Lane (now Ermington Place), and Belmont Avenue contained some of the significant homes owned by Kew pioneers. Chief among these was ‘Park Hill’ on an enormous lot facing Park Hill Road. The Jubilee History of 1910 noted, six years after this plan was drawn, that: ‘Park Hill Road, forming the southern boundary of the cemetery, takes its name from Park Hill, the residence of Mr. Thomas Judd, who has resided there since December, 1852.’ Other named houses on the plan include ‘Ferndale’ facing Cotham Road; ‘Ermington’ adjacent to Judd’s Park Hill, facing Park Hill Road; and ‘Gilden’ and ‘Mont Belmont’ facing Belmont Avenue. Mont Belmont was designed by the architectural firm of Reed, Henderson and Smart for William George Lilley in 1887 and was completed in 1888. Lilley was Mayor of Kew in 1887-88, a Justice of the Peace and a member of the first Board of Guardians of Kew’s St. Hilary’s Church of England.

Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria)

Significance

This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Subdivision Plan - Eastlawn Estate

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The ‘Eastlawn Estate’ was surveyed and ready for auction in March 1914, three months before the outbreak of World War I. Sixty-six allotments, created on the ‘order of Mr & Miss Preston’ surrounded the mansion of Woodlands in Harp Road. Woodlands formed part of the Estate, being advertised as lot 1. The allotments faced High, Station and Wright Streets, Harp and Normanby Roads, and Woodlands Avenue. Pru Sanderson in the Kew Conservation Study (Vol.2, 1988) wrote that the Eastlawn Estate ‘covered the western half of the failed Harp of Erin Estate’. Contemporary advertisements promoted the Eastlawn Estate as: ‘There will be no more convenient district nor pleasant Suburb than East Kew for the busy business man. When the Electric Tram is laid, he will be able to journey quickly and pleasantly direct from Collins Street to his home in the Eastlawn Estate in about 20 minutes’. The actual plans of subdivision were included in advertisements in The Argus and in the local newspapers.

Significance

Subdivision plans are historically important documents used as evidence of the growth of suburbs in Australia. They frequently provide information about when the land was sold on which a built structure was subsequently constructed as well as evidence relating to surveyors and real estate and financial agents. The numerous subdivision plans in the Kew Historical Society's collection represent working documents, ranging from the initial sketches made in planning a subdivision to printed plans on which auctioneers or agents listed the prices for which individual lots were sold. In a number of cases, the reverse of a subdivision plan in the collection includes a photograph of a house that was also for sale by the agent. These photographs provide significant heritage information relating house design and decoration, fencing and household gardens.

Inscriptions & Markings

"C" top left. Various annotations.