Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, two years after the formation of the National Trust of Victoria, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society has been affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria since 1959, and works with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
Contact

Opening Hours

Kew Court House: Every Friday & Saturday from 11.00am to 1.00pm.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation.

These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

When successfully applying in 2017 for funding for a Significance Assessment from a consortium of national cultural organisations led by the National Library of Australia the Society described its collections as:

Audio-visual recordings
A collection of unique addresses, lectures and oral history interviews of noted Australian men and women, many of whom achieved national prominence, including Sir Robert Menzies. Oral history interviews include one with Frances Dumaresq, the daughter of a pioneering Australian family (Tasmania, Victoria) and later an educator at PLC in Western Australia, and at schools in Victoria. The core part of the collection includes about 30 tapes, only a number of which have been digitised and or transcribed.

Archives Bound and Unbound
A major collection of bound and unbound documents lodged with the Society by private individuals and organisations operating within the municipal boundaries, as established from time to time. Significant sub-collections within these archives include those of the Kew Ladies Benevolent Society (1891-1969), the East Kew Women's Club (1945-73), the Lionesses of Kew (1979-88), and the Kew Elderly Citizens' Association (1951-present). Other sub-collections include the Irena Higgins collection (Kew Asylum, Kew Cottages), the Dorothy Rogers Collection (Victorian history), and the Jill O’Brien Collection (Politics). As a whole, these and other archives include publications of particular historical value, minute books, membership lists, minutes, records of activities, brochures, plans, etc.

Costumes and textiles
The most significant item in the textiles collection is a mid-19th Century colonial-era quilt, which was considered for inclusion by the curators of a recent quilt exhibition at
the NGV. The main component of the Fashion & Textiles collection, exceeding 500 items, is the costume collection. A sizeable component is the significant number of costumes that predate the First World War. The earliest of these date from the 1850s. A number of these 19th Century costumes entered the collection in the early 1960s. The best of these were exhibited in 2016, including at the Villa Alba Museum, and were supported by public lectures provided by past and present curators of Australian Fashion at the NGV.

Information files
More than 480 hanging files containing information in the form of reports, short histories of families and buildings, personal accounts, etc. relating to people, places and events. The largest single sub-collection areas include conservation studies, including those used to support the community campaign to preserve the nationally significant Kew Court House, reports and documents relating to the Kew Cottages and Kew Lunatic Asylum, and those that outline the creation and maintenance of the Villa Alba Museum.

Library
Approximately 350 works covering arrange of historic themes. Within this part of the collection unique or rare books, including two copies of ‘In Memoriam’ by Sir John Longstaff and Dr. John Springthorpe, celebrating the life of Annie Springthorpe (1867-97). These important copies are believed to be two of the four in public collections. The collection also includes a folio of images of Kew in the early 1890s, that includes photographs taken by the Victorian photographer J.F.C. Farquhar. The book is in need of urgent restoration and has been recently assessed by the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation. The Book Collection also incorporates the professional library of the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Maps
Approximately 300 maps catalogued, including a highly significant and unique collection of Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) maps and plans dating from the 1890s to the 1920s. Thirty- five of the detail plans in the collection were the subject of a Victorian Local History Grant, provided though the Public Record Office Victoria, which enabled the digitising, reprinting, exhibiting and conserving of the plans. These plans are original contractors’ maps, which are hand-coloured and annotated with comments about land use and ownership. A number of these are not available through the State Library of Victoria. In addition to these MMBW plans, the society has almost 100 19th and 20th century subdivision plans, which are regularly accessed and used by researchers to investigate ‘Building Settlements Towns and Cities’.

Mounted works
Almost 200 original artworks and framed photographs, prints, etc. relating to significant people, places and events. One of these is the large, original framed iconic photograph of the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial, 1925’. Two recently acquired portraits of are of John Halfey and Annie Halfey. The distinctive portraits were painted in the 1880s and have recently been assessed for restoration by the Grimwade Centre. The majority of the mounted works are a collection of eighty-three framed photographs of mayors of the former City of Kew dating from 1861. This series of photographs includes examples taken by photographers such as Josiah Earl Barnes. A number of these mayors made significant wider contributions to the Australian community (eg William Warren Kerr, Sir Stanley Argyle, Herbert James Henty, and Marie Dalley). In a number of cases these are the only known portraits of these men and women.

Objects

Over 2,500 objects including domestic and commercial equipment etc.

Photographs
Over 3,000 photographs of people, places and events dating from the earliest days of European settlement in Australia, over 700 of which are available through Trove. While most of the photographs are of people, places and events, others have a wider significance. The Kew Historical Society was the largest contributor of historic photographs to ‘Remembering Melbourne’ (2016), produced by the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

1991 items with images

Costume - Late Victorian Skirt, Black Silk, circa 1897

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black silk floor length skirt with black lining and internal tapes. The skirt is distinguished by a gathered hem giving the impression of ruffles. With the donation, there is also an accompanying group of copied photographs of the Courtney family, including one which shows Elizabeth Courtney, the owner of the skirt. The skirt was donated by Frances Courtney, a descendant by marriage of the original owner.

Historical information

Elizabeth Wilson met James Henry Courtney at the annual Lord Mayor's Ball on 28 August 1890. In 1892, Capt James Courtney moved to 'Courtland' an architect-designed house at 31 Jenkin Street, Northcote. James married Elizabeth at Nth Fitzroy. Several years later they moved to 108 McKean Street, Nth Fitzrory. Capt and Mrs Courtney were guests at the official opening of the Australian Parliament on 9 May 1901, the reception at the Exhibition Building that evening, and the Royal Review at Flemington the following day. Finally they moved to 'Lumeah', a brick villa at 11 Belmont Avenue, Kew.

Postcard - Kew Cemetery [c.1905]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Panoramic view of the entrance driveway in Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery. At left can be seen the Springthorpe Memorial, and further down on the left the entrance gate, or one of the gates, to the Memorial.

Historical information

This view of the Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery is dated to 1905 by the inscription and postmark on the reverse. It provides an important visual record of this part of the Cemetery. The postcard can be used to identify the original configuration of the roads and vegetation, some of which was subsequently removed (eg the bunya pine at right). On the Victorian Heritage Database, the construction period given for the Springthorpe Memorial is given as 1897-1907, yet this view of the Memorial in 1905 would suggest that it was virtually completed at an earlier date. (It should be noted that additions such as the wheel of life sculpture were not completed until 1910).

Significance

This dated photograph is historically important as its inscription confirms it to be one of the earliest postcard representations of the Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery. It also provides visual evidence of the size and extent of the landscaping by 1905, particularly the layout of the roads (now altered), plantings of the period, and the extent of the land occupied by the Springthorpe Memorial and its gardens, which was subsequently reduced by the trustees of the cemetery in the 1930s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on reverse: "Miss Brown / Shuan [sic] / Grosvenor Street / M. Brighton. Love from Mother Oct 28th 1905" Postmark: "Melbourne 8 / 2 PM, 28/10/05".

Photographs - Exhibition, Victorian Fashion: the 1860s, Kew Library, 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of three costumes exhibited at the Kew Library, all donated by Netta Fuller, and dated to the 1860s.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Iridescent Silk Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two piece olive green and gold shot silk dress comprised of a skirt and top. The very full skirt has a scalloped edge front panel with bands of grey/green silk ribbon. The scalloped panels seem to be backed with later lining fabric (sic). The bodice has decorative buttons at the front from the high round neck to the waist. The bodice, like the skirt has a scalloped panel at the front, which is edged with ribbon.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Silk, Pale Green Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two piece pale green and gold shot silk dress comprised of a skirt and top. The very full skirt has a scalloped edge front panel with bands of grey/green silk ribbon. The scalloped panels seem to be backed with later lining fabric (sic). The bodice has decorative buttons at the front from the high round neck to the waist. The bodice, like the skirt has a scalloped panel at the front, which is edged with ribbon. 1860-70.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Day Dress, Brown Silk Bodice and Skirt, 1860s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Tan/Rust-coloured silk bodice and skirt. The silk used in the garment is self-patterned with a leaf design. The bodice has extensive gold and silver coloured glass beading. The silk used in the sleeves of the bodice and the skirt is badly degraded/‘shattered’.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th Costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artic significance as well a their age.

Costume - Evening Dress, Grey Velvet, 1960

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Evening dress, made of unlined grey velvet, worn by the Mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson, (wife of Cr WHS Dickinson), to the Kew Centenary Dinner Dance in the Kew Civic Hall. The dress has matching gloves. The dress was donated by Mrs Judith Goodes, a daughter of Cr. and Mrs. Dickinson.

Historical information

Kew was declare a separate municipality in 1860. To commemorate this, a number of events were held in Kew, including a Centenary Dinner Dance in 1960 at which the speakers were Sir Robert Menzies and Cr WHS Dickinson. As the Mayoress, Mrs Doris Dickinson accompanied her husband, wearing this dress.

Microfiche - Council Minutes, City of Kew, 1861-1946

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Box containing copies of the Council Minutes on microfiche, donated to the Society by the City of Kew. Handed over by the Mayor, Cr Martin in 1988.

Historical information

The Municipality of Kew was formed in 1861. These minutes date from that year and continue until 1946. During those 85 years, Kew became a borough, a town and in 1921 a city. Kew was forcibly amalgamated into the City of Boroondara in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kew Council Minute Books, Books 1-29 (1861-1946)

Manuscripts - Visitor Books (3), Fairyland, 1949-1950

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

3 manuscripts, part of a larger donation forming the Rogers Collection, donated by the sons of Dorothy Rogers after her death in 1973. The pads record the names and comments of children and adults to a tourist attraction named Fairyland in Malmsbury Street, Kew.

Historical information

Fairyland, the home and garden of Jim and Grace Tabulo was a major local, state and international tourist attraction from the 1940s to the mid 1960s.

Significance

These are amongst the earliest primary sources relating to the internationally renowned 'Fairyland' cottage in Malmsbury Street, Kew. Their social significance is that they record in the immediate post war period the values and beliefs of children and adults who visited this historically significant tourist attraction.

Photograph - House, 43 Malin Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Federation era house with side veranda and gabled front, identified as 43 Malin Street, Kew (Vic)

Photograph - Kew Football Club, 1906

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

This photo of a junior Kew football team dates from 1906. While the team is wearing a range of centre-laced guernseys, at least seven players wear a dark guernsey with a pale sash. Players identified in the photo include: the captain, Jack Allen, middle row, third from left; George Allen on the right in the striped jumper; and Lex Allen in the front row. Alva Allen, who donated the photo in 1986 to the Kew Historical Society, noted on the reverse that ‘most of these boys were killed in World War I’.

Photograph - Mrs Whitman and Child

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cabinet card, produced by Roberts of Glenferrie Road (Glenferrie), of Mr Whitman, a relative by marriage of the Padbury family of Kew.

Historical information

The Padbury family were early pioneers of Kew, running for over a century a funeral parlour in Cotham Road.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Horace Whitman with mother (nee Padbury)""

Photograph - Mr Whitman

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cabinet card, produced by Roberts of Glenferrie Road (Glenferrie), of Mr Whitman, a relative by marriage of the Padbury family of Kew.

Historical information

The Padbury family were early pioneers of Kew, running for over a century a funeral parlour in Cotham Road.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Whitman"

Photograph - First XI, Kew Cricket Club, 1911

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The first cricket club in Kew in was formed in 1863, and played its matches in Wellington Street, then later in O’Shaughnessy’s Paddock. In the early 1870s, a second club was formed and played at Victoria Park. The Kew Cricket Club gained its permanent name in 1888-89. This photo is of the first eleven in 1911. Standing left with bat: George Twycross; standing right: Albert Clements; Seated third on right: Albert Watson.

Photograph - Boys and Men Exercising, Children's Cottages (Kew), circa 1900

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large unframed photograph in poor condition of boys and men exercising at the Kew Cottages. The photograph once formed part of the collection of Dr Cliff Judge, resident psychiatrist at the Cottages, and was donated by one of his daughters in 2018.

Book - For the Love of Children: my life and medical career / by David Buxton Pitt, 1999

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

xiv, 208 p. : ill., ports. ; 30 cm.

Historical information

Dr David Pitt was Australian paediatrician. In 1959, he joined the Kew Cottages workforce, where he practised for 17 years and improved the conditions for the children. He was a pioneer in the identification of rare syndromes using computers. The Cottages anabled him to contribute to the day to day care of disadvantaged people in the Australian community, while continuing his research. Pitt left Kew in 1976. (Source: Wikipedia). This book by David Pitt once formed part of the collection of Dr Cliff Judge, resident psychiatrist at the Cottages, and was donated by a daughter in 2018.

Manuscript - Children's Cottages (Kew), Irena Higgins (ed.), 1952-1964

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Sorted folio of original manuscripts and printed material from the 1950s and 1960s relating to the Kew Cottages created by Irena Higgins, senior social worker at the Kew Mental Hospital and Kew Cottages. The material later formed part of the collection of Dr Cliff Judge, resident psychiatrist at the Cottages. Material within the folio includes original typescripts created by Irena Higgins, copies of newsletters by various Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent Psychiatrists including Dr A.W. Brady, and published and unpublished reports to relevant mental health departments.

Historical information

---, ---, Cottages Liaison Committee members, pp. 4&5 ---, (---), (Untitled), p.4. ---, (---), [Memo re feedback from Official Visitors Conference at Royal Park], p.1. ---, (---), [Patient profile proforma], pp.1-2. ---, (---), Admission to Children’s Cottages Kew, p.1. ---, (---), Admissions Procedure, pp.1-2. ---, (---), Chaplaincy, p.1. ---, (---), Children’s Cottages and Special School Kew - Open for Education Week, p.1. ---, (---), Children’s Cottages Kew, p. 1-2. ---, (---), Children’s Cottages Kew, p.1. ---, (---), Children’s Cottages, Kew - Pathology Request and Report Form, p. 1. ---, (---), Children’s Cottages? Kew, pp.1-4 ---, (---), Extracts From the Report of Dr. J. V. McCreery, first Superintendent, p.1. ---, (---), Kew Cottages Training Centre Brochure, pp.1. ---, (---), Kew Special School, pp.1-2. ---, (---), Notes for General Guidance of Officers in Charge of Idiot Children, p.1. ---, (---), Notes for General Guidance of Officers in Charge of Idiot Children, p.1. ---, (---), Notes for Student Groups, pp.1-6. ---, (---), Physiotherapy at the Children’s Cottages Kew, p.1. ---, (---), Preface to Brochure on Cottages, pp.1-2. ---, (---), The administrative staff comprises …, pp.1-2. ---, (---), Untitled, p.2. ---, (1958, 29 August), Notes from a meeting of Superintendents with Dr Dax and other superintendents, p.1. ---, (1958, October - December), Proposed Survey of Children’s Cottages, Kew, pp.1-6., and Case Sheet pp. 1-5. ---, (1961, 2 November), Untitled letter regarding finances and upgrades, p.1. ---, (1962, 25 October), Memorandum, p.1. ---, (1962), Children’s Cottages Kew [overview of activities], p.1. ---, (1962), Report for the Year 1962 [statistics], p.1. ---, (1963), The Children’s Cottages Kew, pp.1-3. ---, (1964, 10 September), Merchandise Project Children’s Welfare Fund, Kew Cottages Parents Association, p.1. ---, (1964, 26 May), [Draft] Preface to Brochure on Cottages, pp.1-2. ---, (1964, October), Report to the Twelfth Annual (Perth) Conference: Australian Council for the Mentally Retarded, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-2. ---, (1964), Children’s Welfare Fund: Disbursements July 1963 - September 1964. [Brady, Dr W.A.] , (---), Transfer of Patients from One Institution to Another, pp.1-3. [Higgins, Irena], (---), The Formation and Development of Kew Children’s Cottages Parent’s Association, pp.1-6. Ashburner, J.B., (---, ---), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 1 April), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 10 February), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-3. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 10 March), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 11 March), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-4. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 11 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 12 March), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-4. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 12 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 13 August), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 13 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-3. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 14 April), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 15 April), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 15 June), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 16 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 19 February), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 19 October), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 2 April), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 2 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 2 March), Annual Report for 1952, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-4. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 20 August), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 21 October), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 23 February), Notices and Instruction - Succinic Acid Treatment, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2 Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 23 June), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 23 March), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 25 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 27 April), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-3. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 27 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 28 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 29 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 3 September), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 31 March), Notices and Instructions - Rations, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-4. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 4 June), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 4 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 4 October), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 6 April), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 6 October), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 7 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Ashburner, J.B., (1954, 5 February), Notices and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady Dr. W.A. (1960, December), Newsletter to parents, pp.1-5 Brady, Dr W.A. (1965, 28 May), Letter to The Secretary, Mental Health Authority regarding waiting lists, p.1. Brady, Dr. W.A. (1963, 28 February) Annual Report [to the Secretary of the Mental Health Authority], pp.1-15 Brady, W.A., (1954, 9 April), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, pp.1-2. Brady, W.A., (1954, 15 December), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1954, 7 December), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1954, 9 November), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 13 December), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 14 December), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 15 July), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 20 June), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 24 June), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 24 October), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 25 August), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 29 March), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 5 December), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 8 November), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1955, 9 May), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1956, 6 January), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Brady, W.A., (1961, 8 December), Invitation to a screening of Dr. Pitt’s “Brookland Experiment”, p.1. Brazier, ‘Mac’ (1964, February), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-2. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, June), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, April), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, August), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, December), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. [3 copies]. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, July), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, May), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, November), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-5. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, October), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-6. Brazier, ‘Mac’, (1964, September), Newsletter, Kew Cottages Parents Association, pp.1-4. Brazier, Betty (1964, 26 April), Letter to I Higgins re Distribution of newsletters to staff, Kew Cottages Parents Association. (p.1) Dale, (1964), A Few Facts About the Children’s Cottages Kew Fordyce, J., (1956, 13 January), Notes and Instructions, Kew Mental Hospital, p.1. Higgins, Irena (---), A Short History of the Children’s Cottages, Kew, pp.1-2. Higgins, Irena (1966, 28 November), Letter to Dr Brady regarding waiting lists, pp.1-3. Higgins, Irena, (---), ‘Children’s Cottages’, Kew, p. 1-2. Loveless, L.W., (1963, 18 July), [Commonwealth Department of Social Services] ‘Approval of Children’s Cottages as an endowed Institution’, p.1. M.H. 11, Schedule 17 Section 41 (2) (b), ‘Request of Medical Practitioner for Admission of Voluntary patient to a Training Centre or Private Training Centre’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 12, Section 41 (10) (a) (b) (c), ‘Order for the Discharge of a Voluntary Patient’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 13, Section 41 (10) (d), ‘Application for Discharge by Voluntary Patient and Order for Discharge’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 14, Section 41 (1), Application for Leave of Absence for Voluntary Patient, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 2, Schedule 9 Section 41 (a) 41 (b) 42 (1) 43 (1) 44 (1) 48, 59 (1) (2) ‘Statement of Personal Details of Patient’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1-2. M.H. 21, Schedule 9 Section 44 (1) 48 and 52, Medical Approval for Admission to Training Centre, Mental Health Regulations 1962, pp.1-2. M.H. 22, Schedule 25 Section 44, Request to Receive a Patient into a Training Centre, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 33, Schedule 40, Section 62, Notice of Death, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 37, Section 87 (1), Application and Approval for Trial Leave, Recommended and Approved Patients, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 39, Section 93 (1), Order of Superintendent for Discharge of Patient on Leave Upon Production of Medical Certificate, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 40, Section 94 (1), Order of Superintendent for Discharge of Patient, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 43, Section 102, Consent of the Chief medical Officer or Superintendent for Anaethesia or Surgical Operation Upon a Patient, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p. 1. M.H. 7, Schedule 14 Section 41 (2) (a) (i) and (ii), ‘Application for Admission of Voluntary Patient to a Training Centre or Private Training Centre by Parent or Guardian’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. M.H. 9, Schedule 16 Section 41 (2) (a) (ii), ‘Application for Admission to a Training Centre as a Voluntary Patient’, Mental Health Regulations 1962, p.1. Medical Officers (1958, 11 October), Percentage of deaths and statistics for the years 1955 to 1957, Report to Dr. E.C. Dax, Chairman, Mental Health Authority, pp. 1-2. Plumridge, Len, (1964), Statement of Receipts & Expenditure 1963-1964: Children’s Welfare Fund, Kew Cottages Parents Association, p.1. Temby, E., (---), The Kew Cottages Parents’ Association, p. 1-2. Temby, Ethel, (1964, October), Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Conference, Australian Council for the Mentally Retarded, pp.1-2. Temby, Ethel, (1964, September), [Information Committee] Sixth Annual Report pp.1-2 Temby, Ethel, (1964, September), Information Committee: Sixth Annual Report, pp.1-2 Wann, E.M., (1956, 16 March), Memo [regarding the overcrowding crisis], p. 1. WM.7663 (---), Children’s Cottages Kew E.4 [overview and personnel], pp. 1-2.

Significance

An important manuscript comprising original and reproduced materials from the period 1952-1964 assembled by and for senior staff at the Children's Cottages, Kew.

Document - An Account of the Coins, Coinages and Currencies of Australasia / by Coleman P Hyman, 1893

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Published by Authority of the New South Wales Commissioners for the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893. viii, [2], 159 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.

Significance

This volume formed part of the private library of Malcolm Carkeek, former Archivist of the Royal Society of Victoria, and was donated by him to the Kew Historical Society.

Document - Draft of a Bill to constitute the Commonwealth of Australia : copy of federal constitution under the Crown, as finally adopted by the Australasian Federal Convention at Melbourne, in the colony of Victoria on the 16th March, 1898.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

29 p. : coat of arms ; 21 cm.

Significance

This volume formed part of the private library of Malcolm Carkeek, former Archivist of the Royal Society of Victoria, and was donated by him to the Kew Historical Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

Adressed to "Mr Edwin McKereth (sic), Farmer, Avoca".

Book - An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations / by Adam Smith, 1839 Edition

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

1839 edition with a life of the author, an introductory discourse, notes, and supplemental dissertations by J. R. M'Culloch

Significance

This volume formed part of the private library of Malcolm Carkeek, former Archivist of the Royal Society of Victoria, and was donated by him to the Kew Historical Society.

Book - Willsmere Hospital, Kew : Visitors Book, Centenary 1st October 1972

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Leather bound and embossed 'Visitors Book" commemorating the centenary of the Kew [Mental] Hospital, inscribed on the first pages with the signatures of the Governor of Victoria, Sir Rohan and Lady Delacombe, and dated 1 October 1972. The book was used, ten years later, to record the Official Opening of the Visitors Room on 2nd September 1982, and includes 19 signatures from that occasion.

Historical information

The book was preserved in the personal collection of Dr Fred Stamp. After his death in 2018, it was presented in October 2018 to the Kew HistoricaL Society by his family.

Inscriptions & Markings

See above

Photograph - Aerial Photograph, Willsmere Hospital (Kew), 1988

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed, colour aerial photograph of the Willsmere Hospital, presented to Dr Fred Stamp (1941-2018), the Superintendent of the Hospital from 1981 until its closure in 1988.

Historical information

Dr Frederick Stamp graduated from Bristol Medical School (UK) in 1968. He and his family emigrated to Australia in 1977 to Goulburn (NSW), moving to Melbourne in 1980. He became Superintendent at Willsmere in 1991 until its closure in 1988.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Trophy - Mental Hospitals Ladies Golf Competition, Commemorative Shield, Wood and Silver Plate, 1930-32

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wood and silver plate shield won by the ladies team of Fairview Golf Club in the years 1930, 1931 and 1932. The Golf Club was established in 1928, and was owned and managed as part of the Kew Mental Hospital. The 9-hole golf course was located next to the Chandler Highway and is currently the site of the headquarters of Guide Dogs Victoria. The trophy formed part of the personal collection of Dr Fred Stamp, which was donated to the Kew Historical Society following his death in 2018 by his family.

Historical information

An Article in The Herald (18 Feb 1931) records that: "FAIRVIEW OFFICIALS - AT the annual meeting of the Associates of the Fairview Golf Club the following office bearers were elected: President, Miss A, Simcocks; secretary, Miss B. Williamson; captain, Miss A. Shiells; committee, Misses Tresise, Walters, Brown and McLachlan. The captain reported that the shield presented by Mr and Mrs Bourne for competition among the clubs associated with the metropolitan mental hospitals had been won by Fairview associates, who will hold it for one year."

Significance

The trophy has historical significance as an item associated with the Melbourne Mental Hospital in the 1930s and also of social significance in that it relates to recreational pursuits undertaken by staff of the Hospital.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscriptions on silver plate plaques - Top "Mental Hospitals", Bottom: "Ladies Golf Competition"; Bottom left: "Fairview Golf Club 1930", "Fairview Golf Club 1931" and Fairview Golf Club 1932".

Postcard - Figurative Group, Springthorpe Memorial

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Springthorpe Memorial is an elaborate late 19th century memorial located within Boroondara General Cemetery. Harold Desbrowe-Annear designed the memorial for the Melbourne doctor John Springthorpe, in honour of the doctor’s wife. Construction began in 1897, and the memorial was unveiled in 1901. On the sarcophagus is sculpted group of figures by Bertram Mackennal. This close-up of two of the figures shows an angel leaning over the representation of Dr Springthorpe’s wife. The postcard is historically interesting in that it shows the wreath, which is now missing.

Postcard - Figurative Group, Springthorpe Memorial

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Springthorpe Memorial is an elaborate late 19th century memorial located within Boroondara General Cemetery. Harold Desbrowe-Annear designed the memorial for the Melbourne doctor John Springthorpe, in honour of the doctor’s wife. Construction began in 1897, and the memorial was unveiled in 1901. On the sarcophagus is sculpted group of figures by Bertram Mackennal. This close-up of two of the figures shows an angel leaning over the representation of Dr Springthorpe’s wife. The postcard is historically interesting in that it shows the wreath, which is now missing.

Postcard - A Temple Tomb in Kew Cemetery

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A temple tomb in the form of a Greek temple with a triangular pediment. Dark pillars on a flat, paved base support the plinth of the memorial. The memorial is situated on lawn, surrounded by trees and shrubs. Between the pillars, a glass enclosure can be clearly seen. The enclosure was removed at a later date. Harold Desbrowe-Annear designed the Springthorpe Memorial, while Bertram Mackennal sculpted the statuary on the sarcophagus. William Guilfoyle is belived to have advised on the design of the garden.

Postcard - A Temple Tomb in Kew Cemetery

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A temple tomb in the form of a Greek temple with a triangular pediment. Dark pillars on a flat, paved base support the plinth of the memorial. The memorial is situated on lawn, surrounded by trees and shrubs. Between the pillars, a glass enclosure can be clearly seen. The enclosure was removed at a later date. Harold Desbrowe-Annear designed the Springthorpe Memorial, while Bertram Mackennal sculpted the statuary on the sarcophagus. William Guilfoyle is belived to have advised on the design of the garden.

Postcard - Alexandra Gardens, Kew (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Alexandra Gardens, Cotham Road Kew. The postcard depicts a pedestrian bridge within the Gardens. The bridge, on which are standing two children, has rustic sides. On the evidence of this postcard, planting within the Gardens included a range of exotic specimens including a variegated aloe and water lilies. Native vegetation can be seen in the distance.

Postcard - Alexandra Gardens, Kew (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Alexandra Gardens, Cotham Road Kew. The postcard depicts a pedestrian bridge within the Gardens. The bridge, on which are standing two children, has rustic sides. On the evidence of this postcard, planting within the Gardens included a range of exotic specimens including a variegated aloe and water lilies. Native vegetation can be seen in the distance.

Postcard - New Yarra Bridge, Between Kew and Heidelberg

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Angle view of the new Yarra bridge [ie. The Burke Road bridge] taken from the Kew side, showing the bridge’s structure. Trees line the river’s edge. In the distance can be seen a distant line of houses stretching to the horizon. The river appears to have an S-shaped bend beyond the bridge. The postcard, No. 227, was produced by the Valentine Publishing Co. Pty Ltd., of Queen Street, Melbourne.

Photograph - Xavier College Senior School (Kew), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - Terraces, Gellibrand Street (Kew), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - Glass' Creek, Hays Paddock, circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - House, 104 Peel Street (Kew), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Historical information

The two-storey house at 104 Peel Street, known locally as The Mousehouse, was built in 1890 of stucco-rendered handmade bricks. The ground floor façade suggests that the front door originally opened directly onto the street. Prior to 1915, the house was numbered 184, but the street number changed to 104 in that year. Early residents included Henry Martin, Mrs Henrietta Blythe and A. R. Chaffer, the two latter being shopkeepers. The eminent dentist Samuel E. Wills, who had rooms in Collins Street, moved to the house in 1897 and lived there for six years. He was reputed to have conducted a dental practice in the cellar. Wills proposed the establishment of a Dental College in Melbourne and helped to frame Victoria’s dental rules and by-laws.

Photograph - Raheen, Studley Park Road (Kew), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - Hays Paddock (Kew East), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - Terraces, Princess Street (Kew), circa 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Enlarged photograph mounted on board, donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City of Kew on 10 April 1991.

Photograph - Cabinet Card : Albert John Watson, aged 21, 1890s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Albert John Watson, aged 21. Studio portrait in Cabinet Card format of John Watson, the father of Mrs Ivory, playing a cello. c.1890s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Annotations on reverse: "Reg. No. KH.134. Albert John Watson, aged 21. Donated by Mrs Ivory, 1979. daughter and member Kew Historical Society."

Photograph - Ms Evelyn West, circa 1967

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of Evelyn West, former Secretary of the Kew Historical Society, donated by her son Stuart in 1978.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "KH-103. Mrs E.A. West MBE. About 1967. Late Secretary and member for many years until her death, 1976. Donated by son Stuart 1978"

Photograph - Alice Anderson in her Humba, circa 1917

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Original 'snap' of the Kew identity Alice Anderson in her touring car.

Historical information

Alice Anderson was Australia’s first female garage proprietor when she opened her all-female business in Cotham Road (Kew, Victoria) in 1917.

Significance

An authentic, rare original photograph of Miss Alice Anderson

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on mount: "Alice Anderson in her Humba - perhaps 1916. She took passengers between Melbourne and Narbethong. KH-40." Inscribed on reverse: "Sports Torquay 1917." and "1918 Miss Alice Anderson The Kew Garage ** Cotham Road. Car hire and service to motors."

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Bearded Man, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Bearded Man, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Bearded Man, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Girl, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Girl, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Girl, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Animal, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Animal, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Animal, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Small Girl, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.